Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:07 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
I swear that Ed stated to me over the phone that the piston we sent back to him was "perfectly acceptable" for use and "he would use it in any of his rebuilds" makes me think how I have been so lucky not to have had any motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) failures from them over the years-
I also just had an issue with a Power Pros exhaust I purchased from them as well, it was mispackaged and really sent my for a loop when trying to use it-I documented it in the "upgrades to a 350" thread here.

Everybody has their own level of acceptance, IMO now after this adventure ED is my book is moron, shade tree hack mechanic, I have met dozens of mechanics in my life, he is not alone, we all see Ludedudes level of acceptance and how he hammered his Engine together http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=3402 I like to set my sights higher than those two, their is enough things that can go wrong without ignoring something like the wrist pin not fitting correctly.

I am disappointed over this piston problem and ED, I have recommended Ed and his company hundreds if not thousands of times over the years, I cant see how I can do this any more, at least not without pointing to this thread when I do letting a potential customer know his level of acceptance, if you think about it why send your stuff 2500 miles if he is going to do the same level of work your local guy will do, your sending it 2500 miles spending 140 bux in shipping for specialized work.

I stumbled onto that writing whilst researching something else so thought I would post since it was relevant to your first piston, I still stand by my past comments about the pin walking to one side when the pin bore is not right, then wearing the cir clip and groove enough for it to fall out then the wrist pin usually tears up the cylinder and sometimes crankshaft and cases, when this happens its your baby nobody will stand behind it, the videos I post of the pin gliding through the new and other pistons with no effort other than their own weight is all the proof I need the first piston is a factory defect.

I guess the wiseco curse lives on

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:02 pm 

Find an electrian and ask if he has a knockout punch...Adnoh

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:17 pm 

"H" if I read right you say the piston in question had a bad pin bore and that was ok to use. If the pin does not slide thru with little to no effort after a light coating of oil it will bind causeing burnielling effect and damage the neddle bearings and Engine damage. every wonder why the drive shaft in not in a stright line with the output to input shaft. that's why. The input shaft need to be off set from the output or it will cause burnelling of the neddle bearing and take them out. I have seen where some tried to install pin with to much force dinging the underside of the crown where it slide thru causing it to not line up on the way thru. causing some binding. I agree the pin should slide thru and rotate with little force. if it does not It will clear it self usally taking out material that will cause knocking and then bang. A good exaple of what could happen is the same as installing a piston and rings in an out of round bore. it will take out the rings and cause them to snagg and then break bang boom. It's always a good idea to install the pin with a light coating of two stoke then make sure it slides thru with little effort. New piston,new pin, new bearing, check rod Id. I always reinstall the old pin with the bering and old clip back into piston and keep as spare for in field repair to get you thru the day or for another cylinder as not to mix and match as long as there not damged or show signes of excessive where and have new set of rings on hand for that piston. The old pistons work well for port testing. Who is in need of a knock out punch and what size Mine go up to 4"electrical trade sizes or where you needing the glove type. Glad to read you did not use the piston in question and make sure the pin was good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:17 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
Hoser here's another way of venting, which I had on my ex 350 Ody racer.
Very quick,easy and cheap,with vent tube end filtered and top end drilled n glued into Dipstick top....Baz

What is the reason for venting the crankcase in this manner? I have 2 350's that I am sure there is no venting .I like the cap mod because I can do this without breaking the cases. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:44 pm 

stix9567 wrote:
bugeye59 wrote:
Hoser here's another way of venting, which I had on my ex 350 Ody racer.
Very quick,easy and cheap,with vent tube end filtered and top end drilled n glued into Dipstick top....Baz

What is the reason for venting the crankcase in this manner? I have 2 350's that I am sure there is no venting .I like the cap mod because I can do this without breaking the cases. Thanks

It keeps the oil from migrating to the starter through the factory vent system...

http://pilotodyssey.com/350sb.htm

And http://www.odysseysalvage.com/fixstarteroil.htm Try this link http://web.archive.org/web/201301111004 ... teroil.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:36 pm 

Thanks Hoser. If I do the vent tube mod will I then be able to fill the balancer oil to the proper level instead of just to the end of the dipstick?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:49 pm 

stix9567 wrote:
Thanks Hoser. If I do the vent tube mod will I then be able to fill the balancer oil to the proper level instead of just to the end of the dipstick?

YES :-)

::-:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:22 am 

Awsome!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:29 pm 

hoser wrote:
I ran into a snag whist putting the piston on the rod so I can temporary install the cylinder and mark the piston and drill the lube holes per wiseco instructions.

I slide the wiseco wrist pin into the wrist pin bore and it stops here.

Hey Hoser. If I can somehow snag up on a Honda piston for my Fl350, can I use the existing wrist pin or will a Wiseco pin fit? Do you know if the Honda pin and clips are still available?Can you think of anything else I might need if replacing the the piston. I bought this Ody from Toyman and he said there is a Wiseco piston in the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) right now. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:17 pm 

stix9567 wrote:
hoser wrote:
I ran into a snag whist putting the piston on the rod so I can temporary install the cylinder and mark the piston and drill the lube holes per wiseco instructions.

Hey Hoser. If I can somehow snag up on a Honda piston for my Fl350, can I use the existing wrist pin or will a Wiseco pin fit? Do you know if the Honda pin and clips are still available?Can you think of anything else I might need if replacing the the piston. I bought this Ody from Toyman and he said there is a Wiseco piston in the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) right now. Thanks

you can buy the complete Wiseco set for the 350 from ROCKY MTN it includes a wristpin for like 110 bucks, also go to EBAY look up seller 'SLEDPARTSGUY" GO TO HIS STORE, he sells Wiseco sets with pin for like 99 bucks-thats pretty cheap for complete set which again includes the pin.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:57 pm 

Email I received from Wiseco, I sent your piston back...

Quote:
I got your piston today and for some reason the pin hole had one little high spot that was causing this to hang up. I have replaced the piston for you and it has been shipped out today. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Best regards,
Ron Gryzmala
Customer Support
Wiseco Piston
440-951-6600 ext. 3196
440-951-6606 fax.
www.wiseco.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:31 pm 

wow-no way-thasts so cool, thanks Hoser for sending it out to them and for doing the legwork too-they send it back to you correct?PM me the shipping charges please-you need the Piston or can we hold onto it for mabye that Hare jug we sent to LA SLEEVE?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:47 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
stix9567 wrote:
hoser wrote:

you can buy the complete Wiseco set for the 350 from ROCKY MTN it includes a wristpin for like 110 bucks, also go to EBAY look up seller 'SLEDPARTSGUY" GO TO HIS STORE, he sells Wiseco sets with pin for like 99 bucks-thats pretty cheap for complete set which again includes the pin.

Thanks Mud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 pm 

your very welcome-I have bought sets from him and had no issues with shipping, product at all, recommend both highly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:52 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
wow-no way-thasts so cool, thanks Hoser for sending it out to them and for doing the legwork too-they send it back to you correct?PM me the shipping charges please-you need the Piston or can we hold onto it for mabye that Hare jug we sent to LA SLEEVE?

UPS guy just came I got the new piston back today from Wiseco HOW EVER... Well below is the email I sent to the Wiseco guy that was helping me with this piston.

Got the piston today the box says 533M08050 top of the piston says 533M08050 numbers on the
ring package are 3189TD says 81.00mm unless I am reading your chart wrong
the piston is a .50mm over std and the rings are 1.0mm over std, is their a reason why you sent
1.0mm rings and not .50mm rings?

Thanks again.

I guess the wiseco curse lives on, remember the wisecos are better than OEM ROTFLMAO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:54 pm 

Wiseco guy replied ALREADY, 5 min after I sent the email...

His reply.

Quote:
Ron wrote:
> Sorry for the mix up. It looks like my warehouse pulled the wrong rings. I'll get the new ones coming out at no charge.

Looks like you will have a spare set of 1.0mm over wiseco rings for the future...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:53 pm 

well :-) that's cool indeed-hanks for emailinghim, they never cease to amaze me.I can always use the rings for sure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:21 pm 

UPS came your 80.50mm rings are here... I put them in the box with the piston and the other 81mm rings

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:36 pm 

Thanks-Hares jug get there yet by chance?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:52 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Thanks-Hares jug get there yet by chance?

viewtopic.php?t=3850&highlight=csi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:22 pm 

hoser wrote:
I put a couple of match marks on the flywheel and starter gear before taking it apart .

Is this necessary, cause I forgot to mark mine when I took them apart :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:25 pm 

hoser wrote:
Oil passages to the bearings will be hoserized.

I want to Hoserize my case, did you just run a drill bit through, or... can you explain? Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am 

stix9567 wrote:
hoser wrote:
I put a couple of match marks on the flywheel and starter gear before taking it apart .

Is this necessary, cause I forgot to mark mine when I took them apart :shock:

lol i didnt mark mine either... i think i just fit right back up with the holes

Last bumped by hoser on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5