Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL350 Trans Issue?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 am 

Newbie Here....
I recently bought an FL350. Took a gamble that it just needed a top end rebuild because the cyl head was off and it was evident that the piston head had witnessed some heat and cyl wall was likely going to need to be re-bored and/or honed.

Lost the gamble! Got the cyl jug off over the weekend and the bottom end has seen some metal (not major), but enough of a failure to make the c-rod have quite a bit of vertical play, so my hope of the bottom end being OK was wrong - which sucks!

Anyhow - to my subject line question....

Upon cleaning up the Ody, I had the rear end jacked up and was spinning the wheels around and there seemed to be a rough spot that appears to make a grind sound when it hits that spot every time. Would this be a bearing? I don't know much about the CVT system and how to troubleshoot, but any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am really hoping it is not anything major, but have no clue. Knowing my luck it is!

Thanks! I am still loving having this Ody! I had one long ago, but it had been beat up pretty good and never ran quite right - didn't have it too long. This new one still has all the plastic and seems to be very original and in overall good condition - which is a plus.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FL350 Trans Issue?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:56 am 

Homesteader wrote:
Newbie Here....
I recently bought an FL350. Took a gamble that it just needed a top end rebuild because the cyl head was off and it was evident that the piston head had witnessed some heat and cyl wall was likely going to need to be re-bored and/or honed.

Lost the gamble! Got the cyl jug off over the weekend and the bottom end has seen some metal (not major), but enough of a failure to make the c-rod have quite a bit of vertical play, so my hope of the bottom end being OK was wrong - which sucks!

Anyhow - to my subject line question....

Upon cleaning up the Ody, I had the rear end jacked up and was spinning the wheels around and there seemed to be a rough spot that appears to make a grind sound when it hits that spot every time. Would this be a bearing? I don't know much about the CVT system and how to troubleshoot, but any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am really hoping it is not anything major, but have no clue. Knowing my luck it is!

Thanks! I am still loving having this Ody! I had one long ago, but it had been beat up pretty good and never ran quite right - didn't have it too long. This new one still has all the plastic and seems to be very original and in overall good condition - which is a plus.

I hate to ask you, i'm sure you've got your head on straight, but did you check

1. it's not a dragging / bent caliper
2. If the shocks are off it could be the u-joints binding during rotation
3. Are you watching the belt to make sure it's not a rough spot

I know these are "duh" items, but I'll throw them out there

After that, then there are the internal AB issues, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 am 

Thanks for the quick response...

1. I will spend a little more time looking at that one tonight and let you know. I didn't spend a ton of time troubleshooting, but I did not notice any drag from the caliper. This was my initial thought though also. I could have missed it though.

2. Shocks are still on it. I tried to watch the axles and ujoints during rotation and I did not note any issues there.

3. The belt appears to almost be brand new, so no I did not notice any bad spots there (I will double check that also though).

What are the internal AB issues you reference? Is this something that can be done by me without special tools?

Thx!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 am 

Homesteader wrote:
Thanks for the quick response...

1. I will spend a little more time looking at that one tonight and let you know. I didn't spend a ton of time troubleshooting, but I did not notice any drag from the caliper. This was my initial thought though also. I could have missed it though.

2. Shocks are still on it. I tried to watch the axles and ujoints during rotation and I did not note any issues there.

3. The belt appears to almost be brand new, so no I did not notice any bad spots there (I will double check that also though).

What are the internal AB issues you reference? Is this something that can be done by me without special tools?

Thx!

Now your in with the smart guys (not me), my understanding is AB failure can be diagnosed by the input shaft having alot of lateral play

I'd hate to think you've got bad teeth in there

I'm sure someone who knows there chit will chime in shortly

Good luck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am 

OK. Thanks. Maybe the slight grind is just a normal thing for these, just not sure. I agree with you, I would hope there is not a broken tooth, etc., but wasn't sure about the bearings and if it sat long enough if it was possible to have a rough spot on it? I looked at the fluid and it appears clean. I just hate to break it open and then screw somthing up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:29 am 

Welcome to the site. To check the smoothness of the tranny you need to remove the belt and the caliper so no outside parts are touching the tranny just the axles. Rotate the tranny by the wheels in gear and see how shee feels. Forward and backwards. If you still feel resistance I 1 spot. remove the axles from the tranny (use the manual for a guide to remove) and then use the driven clutch(one on the tranny) to rotate the tranny and see if you still feel resistance. If no then you have a rear bearing issue. If yes then you need to remove the tranny and split the cases. Its not that hard and Ifd you follow the book its makes it alot easier.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:10 pm 

Great! Thanks for the troubleshooting guide. I may not get a chance to dig into it again until this weekend, but I will keep you posted as to what I find.

Appreciate it the help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:30 pm 

before you pull the tranny apart or out you may as well check to see if the chain in the tranny has stretched mate, the method is on here somewhere

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:35 pm 

turbo wrote:
before you pull the tranny apart or out you may as well check to see if the chain in the tranny has stretched mate, the method is on here somewhere

fl350's don't have a chain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:55 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
turbo wrote:

Maybe he was yanking his chain?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 pm 

consol wrote:
shoubadaba wrote:
turbo wrote:

Maybe he was yanking his chain?

lol