Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:28 pm 

I have a stock 90 Pilot (the wifes) and it is getting really hard to shift back into neutral. Its shifts ok INTO forward and reverse but its really hard to shift BACK into neutral from forward and reverse. I pulled off the little bracket on the top of the trans that holds the both cable ends down, and the shifter is moving the cables well. The cables seem to be adjusted ok, I know if one is not adjusted correctly it will cause problems. Anybody know what might be going on here? Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:55 pm 

Is there something binding in the shifter knob itself? Seems like the trans is good if you can get it into forward and reverse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:07 pm 

Thanks for the reply Pilotbird. Ok I just verified the cables and shifter are ok. I removed the cables from the shifter lever of the transmission. If I "massage" the transmission lever back and forth without too much force, I can get it to shift back into neutral. But to just TURN the lever back to neutral its quite hard. I removed the stop bolt and pulled out the spring and ball to make sure it was not binding there and it still binds with the bolt, spring and ball removed. I thinks theres something fishy with the transmission inside.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:02 pm 

The only time I have had any problems shifting my Pilot trans was when the shifter was packed full of dirt or sand unbolt the shifter from the frame and remove the cover that exposes the cables and see if its clean, I have no experience shifting a trans at the trans itself with the cables off so cant tell you if that part is normal or not, I do know once the shifter is clean it was 100% easier to shift gears.

Cleaning the shifter is not really hard and probably needs done anyways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:33 pm 

hoser wrote:
The only time I have had any problems shifting my Pilot trans was when the shifter was packed full of dirt or sand unbolt the shifter from the frame and remove the cover that exposes the cables and see if its clean, I have no experience shifting a trans at the trans itself with the cables off so cant tell you if that part is normal or not, I do know once the shifter is clean it was 100% easier to shift gears.

Ok Ill give that a shot, thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:27 pm 

stix wrote:
hoser wrote:

Ok Ill give that a shot, thanks!

So did this work? edit:
Oh nevermind,I see now you just posted this today,probably havent had a chance to work on it yet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm 

Havnt had a chance to mess w it just yet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:33 pm 

UPDATE: This shifting problem started when my Pilot was eating drive belts. What I found was that the stock Honda drive clutch had two huge pits, maybe from a rock or something, well that and coupled with a used up Goodyear drive belt(was my last spare) and the Engine was running 1800rpm at idle. After I installed and old Powerbloc I piece-mealed together and with a stock Honda belt I was able to shift back into neutral with no problems. Im wondering if this bad combination was causing the belt to turn the driven clutch too fast for the trans to be shifted back into neutral,although Im sure I have shifted into neutral while driven was spinning fast while doing plug chops, anyhow its working for now hopefully get some more good rides in before the problem comes back. Also bumped down idle some.

Attachments:
P1000188.JPG
P1000188.JPG [ 41.27 KiB | Viewed 4235 times ]
P1000190.JPG
P1000190.JPG [ 39.02 KiB | Viewed 4235 times ]
 Profile E-mail