Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi/Low Issue???
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:31 am 

So its been a few years since Ive owned one of these, but I remember them going faster than this one does, clutch is engaging and grabbing the belt, but take off seems sluggish and winds out to top end very quickly. Does it have a high and low range?, if so what could cause it to not shift?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi/Low Issue???
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:32 am 

oleskool wrote:
So its been a few years since Ive owned one of these, but I remember them going faster than this one does, clutch is engaging and grabbing the belt, but take off seems sluggish and winds out to top end very quickly. Does it have a high and low range?, if so what could cause it to not shift?

Which machine are we talking about here fl250 fl350 fl400 ??
Top speed of and fl350 is 64.3 mph according to my gps data.
Do both clutch's work ??
Take a felt marker and mark the clutch faces from top to bottom and go for a ride. See if the felt marks are worn off. If not then they or one of them is not working. Belt should be at the top of the driven shiv (rear) and at the bottom of the drive shiv (Engine) when not running. Is your belt the correct width ?? Is there any grease or smagnum on the belt ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:45 am 

Sorry its an FL350, and yes the clutches are working, I took the belt off and revved the Engine and watched it engage. What should the correct belt width be? Is it just 1 gear of sorts or should you feel a change when driving as if it shifts into a higher gear?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 am 

This might help you understand how your CVT works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:05 pm 

oleskool wrote:
Sorry its an FL350, and yes the clutches are working, I took the belt off and revved the Engine and watched it engage. What should the correct belt width be? Is it just 1 gear of sorts or should you feel a change when driving as if it shifts into a higher gear?

My brother and I both run the Dayco HP3004 Length: 44.125” (44-1/8") Width: 1.187” (1-3/16")
He has the comet 94 and I have the 102 clutch.
With regards to your question on "high gear", the fl350 only has forward neutral and reverse. There is no "high gear". This is what the clutches do.
If you are not getting any speed and the clutches are working then it is probably a belt issue.
I would also check to make sure that the center bolt holding the clutch on the Engine is tight. There is a slim chance it could be slipping but I doubt it. Just something I would double check.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:38 pm 

Thanks guys, I will check the belt today, One thing I did notice I was doing a test run and it seemed to have a burst of power for a brief minute as if you pushed the nitro button, I did notice a change in Engine sound but that went away, carb has been cleaned and gone through, new plug--gap has been set, Have new reeds on order, I will try and post a video of what its doing later and yall can tell me if this is normal for a fl350

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:44 pm 

oleskool wrote:
Thanks guys, I will check the belt today, One thing I did notice I was doing a test run and it seemed to have a burst of power for a brief minute as if you pushed the nitro button, I did notice a change in Engine sound but that went away, carb has been cleaned and gone through, new plug--gap has been set, Have new reeds on order, I will try and post a video of what its doing later and yall can tell me if this is normal for a fl350

Ok that sounds like belt slippage to me.
Did you ever lube the clutches ?? They do need lube every now and then. Could also be a sticky clutch because of no lube but I think that is an outside chance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:51 pm 

I did lube the clutches, How ever I have been focused on the main clutch and did not realize that the secondary clutch was supposed to move until I watched that video. I will also check to see if that is free moving as well ( separating).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:06 pm 

oleskool wrote:
I did lube the clutches, How ever I have been focused on the main clutch and did not realize that the secondary clutch was supposed to move until I watched that video. I will also check to see if that is free moving as well ( separating).

That's where the felt marker idea comes from.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:58 pm 

So both clutches are working, measured the belt width its 1 1/8 wide, but does seem too long as it rubs on the cv axle at slow rpm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:05 pm 

oleskool wrote:
So both clutches are working, measured the belt width its 1 1/8 wide, but does seem too long as it rubs on the cv axle at slow rpm

The Dayco HP3004 also rubs on the axel at idle. I am thinking that your belt is too narrow.
It's worn out. It's toast.

Profile E-mail