Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:04 pm 

Ok guys I have a few questions for you all as I know for a fact you all are smarter at this them I am. :-)

First a little back story..

A while back I got a wild hair up my a$$ and made a quick trip to Phoenix and bought the infamous Toy Junkies Long Travel Pilot. I test rode it in front of the guys house and although I was only able to get on it a short distance it felt really strong. I made the deal and hauled it home. Upon getting home where I am an additional 4000' higher in elevation I started trying to jet it in which is where I thought my problems started. It had a 39PWK on it and I run the stock carbs on all my other machines so I was basically lost. Where I finally ended up was with a 48 slow jet, 190 main and the new needle on the second groove, but it just never felt like it ran right or as strong as my other Pilot even though the plug really did look good. I finally came to the uneducated conclusion that it was the lack of an air box that was causing my jetting nightmare, It had a generic Uni filter just clamped to the back of the carb. Not long after I realized i was not ready to give up my one owner 89 that has been so dependable for the last year & half for the new impulse buy. so the new toy had to go, I tried to sell turn key, with no luck so I pulled the Engine and a few other parts and listed it on ebay as a roller. It did sell but in typical feebay fashion, my buyer fell off the planet just as soon as he won the auction. Thanks a hell of a lot for all the hassle & ebay fees you cost me Tom Crowe from IL, may the fleas of a thousand camels invest your arm pits. :-)

Ok fast forward a bit and i was wanting to put a Power Bloc on my daughters Ody.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10170"

Well the other day I desided to try the Power bloc I pulled from the Pilot on my daughters Ody. I pulled the Quik shift off and lined them both up and they looked very close so I stuck it on with 13 weights per puck. We tried it in the yard and it was extremely lazy off the line compared to the quik shift so I pulled it back apart and removed 1 weight from each puck so it was set up just like my Pilot. We then went for a ride. All of a sudden her Ody was the biggest slouch I ever rode I was riding hers and she was in the side by side, we lined up from a dead stop and drag raced and she left me like I was in reverse. :shock: It wouldn't hardly pull past 1/4 throttle and the mid range was a joke, just like that yellow Pilot only worse. Of course I didn't want to blame the clutch and started checking everything else but came up empty. So after pulling my head out of my @ss I realized it had to be the clutch as that was the only change and it ran great before the clutch swap. So pulled it back off and this time just stuck a stock clutch on it for a comparison. Of course it runs like a champ again, so I pulled it apart and this is what I found...

I had looked on the site in the past and found a spring chart and it didn't have any mention of a Green spring, and I am sure the Power Bloc manufactures never intended there to be a piece muffler tubing shoved under the spring either. :-) Obviously this is why I could never get the TJ Pilot running right as it really made my daughters poor Ody run bad but, why on earth would someone do this? What would be the intended gain from sticking a spacer under the spring? Does any one know If I can just buy a spring to replace this Green one?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long drawn out post.

Attachments:
File comment: Power bloc on the left, Quic shift on the right. They both look as if they will set about the same on the crank. I was told the Quic Sift was an Ody clutch when I originally bought it
100_0204.JPG
100_0204.JPG [ 40.5 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
100_0198.JPG
100_0198.JPG [ 31.14 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
100_0199.JPG
100_0199.JPG [ 40.97 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
File comment: Green spring it measures 3 3/16 long
100_0200.JPG
100_0200.JPG [ 61.4 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
100_0201.JPG
100_0201.JPG [ 40.32 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
File comment: this is the piece of muffler tubing they had stuffed under the spring
100_0202.JPG
100_0202.JPG [ 45.09 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]
File comment: This needs some repair work done to it also. It does still lock on the grove but not for long from the looks of it. Any ideas on the best way to repair this?
100_0203.JPG
100_0203.JPG [ 39.45 KiB | Viewed 6841 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:36 am 

I found out that the spring that should be on the Pilot powerbloc should be a black 3 3/4" spring. I have a thread on here somewhere that gives the spec of all of the springs ever made on the powerbloc and the ingagement and their part numbers but I still havent figured out the part number for the Pilot spring. I think that this place might be able to order a spring for you. They could not give me a part number for the Pilot spring they could just order it by the make and moddel it is for. Royal Distributing (Powerbloc) 1 800 265-2970 It was about $20 plus shipping. Hope this helps.

Back in '97 when I bought my first pilot I had a nightmare of a jetting promlem. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out and found out that it was the stock clutch that was the problem. It was worn so bad it would not do more than 15-20 mph. I bought a powerbloc for it and it came alive.

I wonder if the plastic insert alowed it to work for just a short time and that is why it felt strong when you test drove it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:38 am 

you can buy spring spacers. they increase the engagement rpm. but they are small like washers not a big piece of tubing

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 am 

Have you been here? http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5777
Read this one? http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4538

Baz was going to scan and post the PB info he had?

Go here and read about CARB SIGNAL http://www.groupk.com/tec-carbs99.htm
I been trying to tell people this for YEARS and YEARS long before I read it on that site but nobody seems to listen since the experts at ATV Racing have tested it and sell a "kit" so hoser is wrong and they are right, that's cool makes me look faster when their POS intake system is holding their engines back lmao, lost count of the ATV Racing Engine owners I have met and seen that NEVER could jet their Pilot engines correctly and was always running all kinds of strange jets and needles compared to everybody else.

The offset for the proper fitting 350 clutch is different from the proper fitting clutch on a Pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:39 am 

Thank you guys for the great info. Boy do I feel stupid, I bet that Yellow Pilot would have been a rocket with a correctly set up clutch and an air box. It still ran pretty good and was much stronger than my daughters Ody with the same screwed up clutch. Honestly at the time I had it in my head it was the needle in the carb and no one was going to tell me any different. If fact I owe Turbotexas a public apology as he told me it could be the clutch when we all rode that day and I thought he was "nuking futs".

Mas Racing,
Thank you I will give them a call and try & order a spring. The new Power Bloc I bought for my other Pilot came with the Black spring and I posted pics & info on it but they must have been lost in the crash because I cant even find the thread anymore.

Fully,
Thanks that makes sense

Hoser,
I had read the first two links but newer saw the one on the carb before, great read thank you.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:48 am 

rarerat wrote:
Thank you guys for the great info. Boy do I feel stupid, I bet that Yellow Pilot would have been a rocket with a correctly set up clutch and an air box. It still ran pretty good and was much stronger than my daughters Ody with the same screwed up clutch. Honestly at the time I had it in my head it was the needle in the carb and no one was going to tell me any different. If fact I owe Turbotexas a public apology as he told me it could be the clutch when we all rode that day and I thought he was "nuking futs".

Mas Racing,
Thank you I will give them a call and try & order a spring. The new Power Bloc I bought for my other Pilot came with the Black spring and I posted pics & info on it but they must have been lost in the crash because I cant even find the thread anymore.

Fully,
Thanks that makes sense

Hoser,
I had read the first two links but newer saw the one on the carb before, great read thank you.

Never hesitate to bring any new project to the board and start posting, rambling on, giving details posting pictures even if you think you know what your doing, everybody looks at problems differently then thinks different then throws their ideas and thoughts into the mix usually the problems are solved shortly after :-) Many great ideas for improvements and enhancements are often born from this brain storming.

Oh and it does not have to be Pilot Odyssey related either we have tons of brain power on this site DAILY might as well use it :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:59 pm 

I agree. Thanks for sharing this. I never thought the clutch could do that. Might save me some gray hairs one day. Since this Crowe guy fell through are you going to put the TJ Pilot back together?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:06 pm 

hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:

Mas Racing,

Fully,
Thanks that makes sense

Hoser,

Never hesitate to bring any new project to the board and start posting, rambling on, giving details posting pictures even if you think you know what your doing, everybody looks at problems differently then thinks different then throws their ideas and thoughts into the mix usually the problems are solved shortly after :-) Many great ideas for improvements and enhancements are often born from this brain storming.

Oh and it does not have to be Pilot Odyssey related either we have tons of brain power on this site DAILY might as well use it :shock:

Will do, thank you Hoser.

Fatcat,
I am not sure yet what I will do with it, I need to just get it sold since I made the decision too keep my 89. Unfortunately the boss wont let me keep them both.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm 

I thought I would do a follow up on this clutch...

I did order the correct Black spring for it. I was in a hurry to try it but didn't want to stick it back together with the damaged locking end so what I did was just weld up the end of the shaft where it was worn and file it back down. On the cover, pretty I much did the same thing. I ran a bead across where the chunk was worn off and then carefully ground it down to where they locked together like they should. I should have taken pictures but I didn't have my camera out in the garage at the time. I Stuck it on the side by side and took it for a quick ride and it seems to work like it should. The throttle response of the line was vastly improved and it pulls hard all the way through the power band. I bought one of these cheep tachs it does engage right at 4200 Rpm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251075679429#ht_989wt_1398" .".."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:09 pm 

Do you have the number to the place you bought your spring from? I've been unable to contact anyone that has a spring.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:49 pm 

rocket wrote:
Do you have the number to the place you bought your spring from? I've been unable to contact anyone that has a spring.

I got mine from ATV Racing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:13 pm 

Would you happen to have that part number, maybe I can get someone different at ATV,
that maybe knows a little more than the person I talked to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 pm 

rocket wrote:
Would you happen to have that part number, maybe I can get someone different at ATV,
that maybe knows a little more than the person I talked to.

I'm sorry I don't, I just asked for a Pilot Powerbloc Black 4200 RPM spring and the guy knew what I wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am 

I found a spring at CVTech in Canada, its a little pricey but here is the phone number if anyone else is looking for one. (418) 335-7220 Can someone tell me if I can just remove the outer half of the clutch while its still mounted to the Engine in the odyssey. I tried to remove
the whole clutch, and can't get it to budge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:54 pm 

rocket wrote:
I found a spring at CVTech in Canada, its a little pricey but here is the phone number if anyone else is looking for one. (418) 335-7220 Can someone tell me if I can just remove the outer half of the clutch while its still mounted to the Engine in the odyssey. I tried to remove
the whole clutch, and can't get it to budge.

How much?

You bought right from the factory?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 pm 

$33.95 plus shipping, not sure how much on that

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm 

Sorry I'm absent minded, Yes it was from the factory. They have two outlets, one in Canada and one in Michigan. They mainly speak French, but they fight through english well enough.
Do you happen to know if the clutch can be taken apart while its still in the odyssey?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 pm 

rocket wrote:
Sorry I'm absent minded, Yes it was from the factory. They have two outlets, one in Canada and one in Michigan. They mainly speak French, but they fight through english well enough.
Do you happen to know if the clutch can be taken apart while its still in the odyssey?

I'm not sure about the FL250's, but you can swap the spring & pucks with the clutch installed on a FL350 & Pilot.