Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 pm 

Matt unfortunately the mods I did,shorter front tyres and the 1 1/2" top shock lowering bracket seemed to do this much. ( ) :shock:
Nothing that I could feel/notice.Was still running wide and having to de-throttle to walking pace until the fronts got some bite to turn.
Also still could'nt get the rear pads to lock up for skid steer.This is after new pads(EBC),fluid flush,and fixing that worn mount bracket hole,PLUS a buggybaz kiss on the caliper just for good measure!
I now have some OEM Pilot pads+pin,arrived yesterday arvo (Mega thanks Ed-he's my US buggyparts pimp daddy) these should work better best bestest,plus they have the anti-heat backing to stop the piston and fluid from overheating.

Another thing I noticed only yesterday morn,was that the front tyres had been rubbing badly(like a 14yr old) :shock: on the front of the alu nerfs.Not good.Time for a warranty claim on Ak's free work! :-)
Imagine how many seconds I could knock off one lap x 5-7 x 2days,with just being able to steer around the multiple bends? Good times ahead,I can feel it in my Amsoil red blood.
I really wanted to HellCam this event for you blokes to have an armchair PC ride,BUT could'nt find the actuall Viosports bullet camera,had everything else but not the cam.
Anyway,so when I got home Mon arvo,unloaded all the race parts boxes etc,and thought I'd give one more look in the crates.Found the lil bastard rolled up in a zip bag at the bottom.
I forgot that I had done this so as I WOULD"NT forget it at the track!!!!!!! Can you say Al Zeimer? Knobhead????
The other thing I was hoping for was to vid some of the Kangarooters that often jump around in front of us while racing.Well would'nt ya know it,on day 2 Mon morn,second last lap,2 Roos bounded in front me 3 times while zig zaging around a twisty bit.They scared the !@#$% outa me,imagine just racing with that race face and size 10 eyes :shock: concentrating painfully thru dusty dirty visor in a world of your own....when BAMM! Skippy and Mates play surprise from the bushes,one was only about a car length away twice.They have no concept of gettin' outa the way(like Turbo T) :-) Only kiddin' Mate.

Dusty? What !@#$% Dust NerdyBull?????? :-)
Yeah dust is a killer,especially when there's little to NO wind to blow it away.lucky I brought a spare pair of K&N's with new outerwears,they def work for me,IF in new condition,never-over- pressure to clean from inside out and spreading the gauze apart,and undamaged outerwear screen with TIGHT elastic keepers.Since I learned all this they def work for me.Sand NEVER gets thru,like my old pre-used ones did on others bought buggies.You just don't know how others have cleaned them,and most probably used excessive pressure and spread the gauze apart leaving holes.
My Drakart also runs the K&N's-NEW,over 2 years of hard dusty racing and the cyl PSI's are still at rebuild figures 150 PSI.I also grease the insides of the carb throat or air boots as a telltale and catch.

I have some more pics and vids to post up later,having probs with the loading.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:10 am 

Here's a vid from another member Fraser,I think his lil son Liam did this one.
Day 1 Sunday arvo,1st group,Heat 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKGvbkna ... e=youtu.be

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 am 

Thanks for the update looks like it was a good time.

When you turn or let off the gas does the front drop any when weight shifts?

You add weight to the front ?

See the random holes in my front skid plate that's from bolting in steel plates to add weight so I could turn better on tight tracks :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:38 am 

No worries hoser,yeah was a real blast long weekend,even sweeter when ya come away with the win,and drive it back onto the trailer.
Today Wed we got rain,and for the next few days,pitty this did'nt get to Tammin earlier and dampen the dust down for us.June is the start to our winter.
Tomorrow they're predicting more rain and possibly not 1 but 2 thunderstorms,and I thought I was gonna be able to catch up with mowing work! Image

When you turn or let off the gas does the front drop any when weight shifts?
Yeah it does,this is where I lose all my gained time.I have a large square of steel plate,approx 1' square and 1 1/4" thick that an ex speedway bloke gave me a while back.
He said it was what they used to keep their speedway cars fronts down.Thought I'd never need it? :shock:
I don't really wanna use it until as a last resort.But will trial the missus's Image pillow case filled with sand thingy.
I'm just glad I got you for referral to her when the !@#$ hits the fan! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:38 pm 

I think it looks better than the last race.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:17 am 

bullnerd wrote:
I think it looks better than the last race.

Please explain Bull?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:28 am 

Some more pics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 am 

Thanks for the pics how about details on each car one looks VW powered?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 am 

Yeah I'll see what I can do.
But next event,better still,I'll doco each buggy and driver for better reference and video ID.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 am 

some more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:16 pm 

Yeah you can hear the VW in the video.

Bug,I meant,it seemed to turn a little better than the last vid/race you posted.Its hard to tell just from vids,but it looked better.

To me it seems like you need to control the body roll somehow.Like Shoubadaba said,stiffen up the rear maybe.Its rolling over in the back too much still.You are fighting a battle the other guys arent.Short,narrow car with a buttload of power!Trying to make a race car out of an ATV is going to be an ongoing battle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:51 pm 

Hey baz if you watch the viseo you can clearly see that the other cars keep all 4 tires on the ground through the corners and you always raise the inside tire. What is causing this is your rear shocks not being set up correctly. Once you correct this you will be able to turn twice as good because you will have both steering tires planted in the front. Right now you are trying to steer with only 1 tire which equalls half the steering.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 pm 

I would play with your bound stack valving and go with a stiffer top/ride spring. You are going to have to spend some time on shock tuning to fix the problem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:52 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
some more.

Talk about a come-a-gutzer!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 pm 

Not working today yet,been raining and had the storm of the decade over the weekend.Lots of humans without power here,about 160,000 homes?
Luckily I'm not one of them,well derrr otherwise I could'nt send this now could I?
Would have been great if this lot had rained into Tammin last week,man it was dusty.

Anyway,H how much frontal weigh/ballast did you end up with?
That VW sound you blokes hear is not VW,I'm pretty sure I saw a Subaru sticker on the back of that blue Vulture 2 seater.

Rusty there was a lot more of them that come-a gutzer stuff.

Here's another vid from the starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsqJCG3r ... ature=plcp" ."..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:19 pm 

Very cool Baz!! Your competitors probably all say " Oh $hit here come Big Red again" when they see you pull up with that monster Pilot. :-)

IMO your "Big Red" is easily the Pilot equivalent of this "Big Red" :-) :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:43 pm 

Ha ha RatMan...I wish!
Nice ol vid,but I'm a FORD bloke,fell in love with the Mustang when I first laid eyes on one back in the late 60's-70's.
Love the Camaros as well,but the Stang style better.
Thanks for the vid,that's some ballsy stuff there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:29 am 

This one I call a better than nothing vid.
Where/how much,do you copy from the Youtube link so as to get a screen appearing like MouseMan did,instead of the hyperlink? Still learning this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBky6845 ... ature=plcp" .".." .".." .".." ."..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:37 am 

Baz you just cut & paste this section of the address and put in between the youtube icon.

ZBky6845HJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBky6845 ... ature=plcp

Like this... youtube]ZBky6845HJo[/youtube

I removed the out side brackets so it wouldn't work & you would be able to see what I mean.

I hope this helps & great video.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:00 am 

Thanks Mighty Mouse to the rescue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:50 am 

Here's a vid from the rear of Fraser's ZX9 Piranha,shows the terrain at Tammin,but not really how rough it was,especially the 2nd day.
He left after day 1,blew the front shock.It's a 200acre property,mixed ground,hard clay pack to soft sand and creek crossings.Oh and very dusty!

See RatMan,I can do it now,thanks! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:39 am 

Spent this weekend finishing off my highest under fender top shock brackets.
These REALLY lowered the front,but jumping on the bumper to see how much compression relative to chassis ground kiss there is, I was not heavy enough. :shock:
The a arms are nearly parallel with the ground now. :-) Wayne says I now have a low rider! Oh Lay Dude!!!!
It also ended up with big toe-out,so adjusted the links for slight toe-in.

I also fab'd up the front battery box from that HDPE black sheeting.
Upsized the battery to the 16A Dekka as well.This will give me more capacity,plus frontal weight.The 2 birds thing.

Attachments:
DSC00769.JPG
DSC00769.JPG [ 58.95 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00770.JPG
DSC00770.JPG [ 63.37 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00771.JPG
DSC00771.JPG [ 63.88 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00772.JPG
DSC00772.JPG [ 68.66 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00764.JPG
DSC00764.JPG [ 54.52 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00765.JPG
DSC00765.JPG [ 54.07 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00766.JPG
DSC00766.JPG [ 56.77 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:47 am 

The front section utilises the 2 upper existing tub bolts hidden by the rubber foot pad.
The rear screws into the black steering cover.It wedges in there real good,and does'nt move at all.
The best thing with this HDPE plastic sheet is that it's easy to get in and out due to it's flexibility,plus it's non-conductive to electricity.

I will show finished and installed bat holder tomorrow Mon.

Attachments:
DSC00789.JPG
DSC00789.JPG [ 50 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00790.JPG
DSC00790.JPG [ 50.28 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00791.JPG
DSC00791.JPG [ 59.43 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
DSC00792.JPG
DSC00792.JPG [ 52.93 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:53 am 

Will you have to make a camber change too?

When will you be testing ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:17 am 

After the bracket install,and back on ground,I noticed it had significant Toe-out(bad) but also Neg camber,so that's a bonus on the camber.I wanted neg camber anyway.
The neg camber should help with the cornering,providing the front has enough downward bite.
Those frontal pics were taken immediately after letting it back down,before I did the Toe-in adjustments..I will take pics tomorrow.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test until next event,this coming Sunday.We go to a new venue just East of the Northam Speedway.
It's a MX track on a farmer's property.Some jumps too I believe! Gulp! Wish I had somewhere to test before going.
Never been there before,the map pic of it looks quite twisty,so did this lowering just in time.
We were mean't to go to Bullsbrook,but it is too flooded,so this new one is a good second option.

Attachments:
8.7.12 Northam Track Directions - map.pdf [852.38 KiB]
Downloaded 107 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next