Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:40 am 

westecbuilder wrote:
You boys were at Devil's Hole, deep creek. Nick, that's the drainage I visit to get my local fishing fix when I don't feel like driving to the eastern sierra's. Did you see the Pacific Crest Trail go across the road just before you parked at the bottom? That's the legendary continuous hiking trail from the gulf of california,Mexico through the Sierra Nevada range and ends in Canada.

Yeah, we saw a few hikers near where we parked. I thought that place sounded familiar for some reason, I think you and I have talked about it before. We should pack some gear and go fish there some time. Only thing that sucks is it has special restrictions, only a 2 fish limit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:36 pm 

Only SUCKS if your rigidly a "meat eater fisherman". What I clasp near to my FISH HUGGER heart is that this unspoiled place exists near millions of people. We live in a dewatered desert and Deep Creek still maintains a self sustaining trout population despite the onerous bombardment of "HARVESTING" the adult fish needed to promote a healthy viable fish count per mile. If all you want to do is "Keep What You Kill", tailgate a fish hachery truck to their destination!
Damit Nick, :) NOW you got my panties in a bunch! LOL If I had my way, Deep Creek would be "Catch & Release only" Let the big 3 & 4 year olds die of natural causes and feed the next gen. so when YOU fish there, I can video your felicitous expression, bringing to hand, more 16" to 20" trophys. YES, I have personally seen mating pairs that large in surreptitious locations.

On a lighter note: looks like you had fun :) :)

Any of you have time off the end of Sept. to early Oct. ??? Perfect time to jump on a rental horse & visit some of my pristine secret spots in the eastern sierras! The crowds have gone, nights are starting to cool ( no bugs!) and the big ones venture out from their deep dark holes looking to fatten up for spawning & winter! truely a seminal moment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:32 pm 

I've never been a fan of "catch and release" because I like to eat what I catch. But I can appreciate the need to sustain the population in that area.

The 1st weekend in October I am open. Following weekend the genaral (rifle) deer season starts, and if I haven't filled my tag during the archery season, I will be busy trying to fill my deer tag from October 12th through November 10th and would only be sacrificing hunting time for Dumont time lol.

Oh, and I can help "un-bunch" your panties if you like... ;-) ha ha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:53 pm 

I bet you would homo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:42 pm 

I was certain a responce would cum :) from that statement. You did not disappoint, Nick. I assume your just talking about a weekend pilgrimage? Being self employed, and out of faze with regular working folk, I try to make it not so hurried and go for at least 4-6 days. Your taking on the persona describing my other HUNTER friends- they disappear from the real world radar in Sept. not to be HERD from til Nov.

Just to let you know, when I visit remote, high elevation lakes & streams in the sierra, We bring frying pans and plenty of cooking oil to cull the pan size, freshest, firmest SALMO TRUTTA you will ever taste!! YUMMY ( no homo )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:26 am 

Yeah, I could pull off either taking off a friday or a monday and making a three day weekend out of it, but I think that is about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:57 am 

There you go nick. Take cooking utensils and eat them as you catch them. The evidence is in the Porto potty officer :-)

I like to keep my fish to but I don't abuse my fishing holes. Nothing pisses me off worse than seeing these assholes carrying away 2 buckets just chocked full of fish. That's just stupid. I keep a couple meals worth for Mary and I. The rest go back so I can catch them again. Did I ever show you guys my big(by IL standards) red ear?

She was 2lbs 6oz and she had already dropped her eggs. Caught her last spring on Lake Mazonia/braidwood by Gardner, IL. 6oz off the state record. With the eggs she would've been right there. Still the biggest gill I've ever caught. Probably should've threw her back but it's my first mount.
Do you guys prefer trout over bluegill, crappie, and largemouth?

If it smells like trout. Eat it out. If it smells like cologne, leave it alone! :-)

Attachments:
File comment: Really nice for IL. You California guys are spoiled. Lake havasu holds the world record for red ear. Over 5lbs!!
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 66.74 KiB | Viewed 349 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 am 

that's pretty cool how did they make it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:23 am 

I took it to a taxidermist my dad knows. He measured it, completely skinned the fish, Disposes of the body. Then shaped a piece of styrofoam and glued the skin to it. Then he dresses it with touch up paint. It took almost a year to get it back but he only charged me $100. I thought that was very fair.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 79.71 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:25 am 

Oh and I think he said it the bottom board was a piece of pine. I'd have to look at it again. The driftwood I found locally in the river. I've got a few nice pieces saved up for future mounts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:57 pm 

That is a nice lookin fishy! I really like trout, it is probably my favorite fresh water fish. Easy to gut, easy to cook, and tasty. Not a fan of catfish, don't like the taste, texture, and PITA to clean. Havent had much fresh water bass, but I do love pretty much anything from the ocean. Calico bass, johnny bass, sculpin, tree fish, sword fish, halibut, list goes on and on

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:23 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
That is a nice lookin fishy! I really like trout, it is probably my favorite fresh water fish. Easy to gut, easy to cook, and tasty. Not a fan of catfish, don't like the taste, texture, and PITA to clean. Havent had much fresh water bass, but I do love pretty much anything from the ocean. Calico bass, johnny bass, sculpin, tree fish, sword fish, halibut, list goes on and on

You guys have a whole different variety than we do. I fish farm ponds mostly. Bluegill, crappie, bass, catfish. That's about all. Occasionally fish for walleye and rainbow trout.

I don't eat catfish or rainbow trout. They've got that same fishy taste to me. I like fish that doesn't taste like fish. Maybe it's the trout we get. The ones here are stocked. They're pellet fed in tanks and sold as adults. I may have been eating dogfood fed trout. You've gotta try some fresh water panfish. Bluegill, largemouth bass, and crappie all taste about the same to me. Just the size of the filet is different IMO. A nice clean catfish doesn't taste too bad IMO. Gotta be out of a pond though. The ones in the river here are nasty(still fun to catch) and the tank raised ones meat has a yellow hue to it. Extra fishy.

Profile E-mail