Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:39 am 

nickRNR wrote:
Well its the end of the first day and it has been fun so far. Rolled in around 10:30am and got all set up. Rained the whole way here but no rain here at all. Had to bag up the air filters I think I need an enclosed for sure. Went on several fun rides. Jordan broke his street bike powered car unfortunately. So I took him for a ride in the rzr. Revolt is runnin good but front shocks are really low. Can't run heated in rv cause it smells like propane when it runs. Can't find leak. Sucks. Kuma broke the swing arm on his cannondale Honda cr500 hybrid quad. Tons of adventures. All in all having great time. If you didn't come and were there thinking about it you're missing out....Toby! PPP! Westecbuilder! Ha ha. More to come

If your Propane tanks are low it will smell like propane when you use them. It happen on my forklift at work. As the tank get lower the smell gets stronger. Just an idea so you can have some heat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:44 am 

Wish I was their woke up and it was 12 degrees here this morning.

Turn the burners on the stove on for heat and or turn on the oven for a while, stove burners will heat up the RV really quick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:41 pm 

jeff52 wrote:
nickRNR wrote:
Well its the end of the first day and it has been fun so far. Rolled in around 10:30am and got all set up. Rained the whole way here but no rain here at all. Had to bag up the air filters I think I need an enclosed for sure. Went on several fun rides. Jordan broke his street bike powered car unfortunately. So I took him for a ride in the rzr. Revolt is runnin good but front shocks are really low. Can't run heated in rv cause it smells like propane when it runs. Can't find leak. Sucks. Kuma broke the swing arm on his cannondale Honda cr500 hybrid quad. Tons of adventures. All in all having great time. If you didn't come and were there thinking about it you're missing out....Toby! PPP! Westecbuilder! Ha ha. More to come

If your Propane tanks are low it will smell like propane when you use them. It happen on my forklift at work. As the tank get lower the smell gets stronger. Just an idea so you can have some heat.

My tank is at about 1/4 full. Wonder if that is it? Strange why would it do that? I used the stove and am running fridge on propane and no smell. Just smell from heater. Yeah I ran the stove some and warmed us up a bit. I wasn't cold but wife and dogs were lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:31 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
jeff52 wrote:
nickRNR wrote:

My tank is at about 1/4 full. Wonder if that is it? Strange why would it do that? I used the stove and am running fridge on propane and no smell. Just smell from heater. Yeah I ran the stove some and warmed us up a bit. I wasn't cold but wife and dogs were lol

Strange you would get the raw propane smell from the furnace your sure its propane smell others has smelled it also its not dead bugs or something on the heat exchanger that is making the smell?

All the products of combustion should be vented outside and you should not smell anything inside, have you tried to run the furnace then smell the exhaust outside to see if their is any raw propane smell? I can understand getting a raw propane smell in the vent if the burner in the furnace is not burning 100% or is burning dirty.

Lots of shit can crawl in the furnace during the off season :shock:

Never heard of the smell thing when a tank was low.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:43 pm 

From Prolux Propane Website.

Q: What does propane smell like?
A: By nature, propane is clear and contains no scent at all. For safety purposes propane companies add a substance know as methanol to the propane fuel. Methanol has a strong rotten egg, or skunk-like scent, which allows the consumer to smell it in the case of a leak. If you smell something similar near your appliances and your tank it is possible that you are low in fuel. Methanol is heavier than propane and sinks to the bottom of the tank so when the tank is low on fuel the methanol smell will become more noticeable.

Good information so you don't waste time looking for a leak if your tank is low. Fill one up and see if the smell goes away.

For now I would stick to the Burners like Hoser said in case there is a leak in the heating system. Always better to be safe. Have fun out there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:56 pm 

"in case there is a leak in the heating system. Always better to be safe."- wouldn't it be better to blow himself up out in the dunes rather than at home? What if he ruins his neibors house!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:04 pm 

Sorry Nick, I needed to ref. at the section finals in Chino today. I will be working Monday, so no go this time. We will be ready for New Years at Glamis! your snuggle buddy, Doug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:06 pm 

Hell Yeah Glamis will be a blast!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:23 pm 

Sounds like what happened to me at Glamis. My heater didn't work at all though! Even missed out on the big ride because I took the motorhome back over to the propane dealer to completely fill my tank. That didn't work either!

So when exactly is the Glamis ride going to happen? I might make that one with the whole crew!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:30 pm 

Ill post a thread right now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:56 pm 

ALrighty then! :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:05 pm 

Interesting about the propane, I always knew about the odorizer they put in the propane to make it smell never heard about people smelling it as the tanks got lower.

Hopefully that's the only problem with Nicks system is the low tank, top it off on the way home see if it fixes it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:01 pm 

I always thought the odorizer in propane was Ethyl Mercaptan or Ethanethiol.

I don't recall my ethanol laced gasoline smelling like rotten eggs.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 pm 

jeff52 wrote:

A: By nature, propane is clear and contains no scent at all. For safety purposes propane companies add a substance know as methanol to the propane fuel. Methanol has a strong rotten egg, or skunk-like scent, which allows the consumer to smell it in the case of a leak.

Maybe it is not the tanks leaking .....what exactly did you have for lunch? :shock:

Just say'n

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:42 pm 

Lonerider wrote:
jeff52 wrote:

A: By nature, propane is clear and contains no scent at all. For safety purposes propane companies add a substance know as methanol to the propane fuel. Methanol has a strong rotten egg, or skunk-like scent, which allows the consumer to smell it in the case of a leak.

Maybe it is not the tanks leaking .....what exactly did you have for lunch? :shock:

Just say'n

Frozen burritos!

Well, we came home a day early. I did run the heater and smell around outside, took off the inspection cover on the heater, took off the intake cover on the inside of the coach, the smell was definitely coming from the heater, just couldn't find any leaks. Mixed up some soapy water and found no bubbles anywhere. I am just hoping it is from the low tank. But why would it only smell with the heater and didn't smell when I ran the fridge on propane, and also the stove?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:58 pm 

Anyway, the trip was mostly a success. Had lots of fun. Sunday, we got a few nice rides in, dunes were trashed from the rain and all rutted up, but I didn't seem to mind. Guys on quads were hating life though lol. We were relaxing around camp and I let my buddy's son take the Revolt around a bit (reward for fetching beers at the camp fire for me the previous night) and when he parked it, Kuma noticed the trans fluid was seeping and bubbling out the top of the gasket where the halves meet. I installed a bellows on the vent tube, but maybe it is not big enough? Maybe it is not releasing enough pressure through expansion? Guess I will have to pull the trans and replace gaskets. Saturday night around the camp fire was fun. Rusty's cousin had some fireball and moonshine, what a wild mix! Somehow, I ended up in my boxers and on a quad, rippin around camp hootin' and hollerin' like a drunk idiot! Needless to say, I passed out soon afterwards.

Monday the wife didn't feel good, sleeping without a heater for 2 nights got to her. I talked her into doing an easy ride, we headed South and ran the fence line, found this nice open patch of loamy wet sand, so I decided to rip a few donuts in the Revolt. Can't wait to see the footage of it. We found a trail marked with boundary markers, so we ran that trail over to the North Pole, then hit the fence line on the north end of the dunes, did some exploring, rode a few places I had never seen, took some cool photos (post up soon). Got back to camp, relaxed, went for another short ride with Kuma and Shoubadaba's cousin over to comp hill, met up with a few other members from our group, and peeled off and did a nice little dune run back to camp. I followed Kuma and Shouby's cousin through a small jump they all hit at a nice easy pace, well I nailed the gas and freakin launched the RZR good! It takes a lot to get my jump-testies to rise, and boy they sure rose! Only pity was no video! So we got back to camp and ate lunch, then went lookin for the jump again, but couldnt find it. Found another 2 jumps to play on and got some good shots. You can really see that the Revolt's front shocks are too low in the jump. I was bottoming the front end out alot. It would also drag when crossing over a razor back and shoot sand right up my crotch, so I had to wear pants, if I wore shorts I had sand crack syndrome.

Pics and video to come. Had a great time. Can't wait until New Years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:23 am 

Nick turn on your heater and open the doors and windows and let it run for an hour. Mine did this yesterday when i turned the heater on for the first time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 am 

halorising wrote:
Nick turn on your heater and open the doors and windows and let it run for an hour. Mine did this yesterday when i turned the heater on for the first time.

Will give that a try too. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 am 

Got some pics to share. Video coming soon.

Attachments:
1 Cool cloud on drive to Dumont.jpg
1 Cool cloud on drive to Dumont.jpg [ 28.72 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
2 Buster is wondering what's outside.jpg
2 Buster is wondering what's outside.jpg [ 22.24 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
3 Penny and Buster hangin in the RV.jpg
3 Penny and Buster hangin in the RV.jpg [ 23.07 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
4 Pic from RV top bunk in camp.jpg
4 Pic from RV top bunk in camp.jpg [ 79.15 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
5 camp shot.jpg
5 camp shot.jpg [ 62.72 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
6 Out in the dunes.jpg
6 Out in the dunes.jpg [ 56.47 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:28 am 

more

Attachments:
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 40.39 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
8.jpg
8.jpg [ 36.08 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
9.jpg
9.jpg [ 43.91 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
10.jpg
10.jpg [ 40.91 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 43.89 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
12.jpg
12.jpg [ 36.35 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 am 

more

Attachments:
13 Kuma.jpg
13 Kuma.jpg [ 36.99 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
14 Shoubadaba's cousin Sean.jpg
14 Shoubadaba's cousin Sean.jpg [ 43.27 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
15.jpg
15.jpg [ 20.43 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
16.jpg
16.jpg [ 27.43 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
17 Some drunk buff fat guy in his boxers at the fire.jpg
17 Some drunk buff fat guy in his boxers at the fire.jpg [ 20.7 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
18 discovered this at home. Easy fix.jpg
18 discovered this at home. Easy fix.jpg [ 23.42 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:08 am 

Thanks for the pics the sand looks nice and tight should make for some really good traction.

What was it that is broke in the last pic and why did it break?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:22 am 

Sand had so much traction, I thought about turning my paddles around backwards. Instead, I aired the tires up to about 10psi and it seemed to work good. The pic with the broken hyme is an endlink on my swaybar. I used mild steel hymes and they also weren't shimmed right and had a slight bind on them. I will use chromoly hymes next and work on getting them shimmed right and remove any bind they might have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:00 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. I will get there some day!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:32 pm 

ME TOO, THAT LOOKS LIKE A BLAST...EXCEPT FOR THE SHIRTLESS DUDE!!!!

THAT WOULD BE A HUGE DIFFERENCE THAN PLAYIN IN THE MUD!

Profile E-mail