Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little Sahara OK
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 pm 

Only in America!!!!
Can a group of guys get together and have some fun talk shoot the bull talk about everything from larry bird to missing the first part of class. Which i had been ribbed about!
It was a good time. I can truly say adnoh rides and drives em like he stole em and has a wealth of knowledge enjoyed the stories , if you keep up with him you have done something. lol
Most guys wouldent know how to take the redneck term I take it as a compliment thanks again for the gift lee enjoyed talking to you ,
keep us updated on the csi, sure hated you had to leave early.
I wish i could have been there when chris v was running i wanted to see it run although I did see the carnage of the clutch, first hand.
I don't know how he put it all together so fast. We all helped each other in some form or fashion. If it wasent for ez pilot I wouldent have had a spot thank you sir, I know if hadent been for him there would have been an old man in his rzr still stuck in the sand.
stix want to say thanks for the pilot I know I didnt break it out till later but sure brought a big smile to my face when I got strapped into the pilot and pushed the throttle. All in all i had a good time hanging out and talking with everyone . just too freeking hot 102 are you kidding me. a little ash from the fire even fell on us.That fire is still burning. And all who were there don't forget about april fools.
It would be pretty cool to get a few more together.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:36 pm 

also thanks ez for taking me out in the artic cat and scoping around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:50 pm 

posted in wrong thread :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 pm 

redskinman wrote:
I would have liked to have made this trip even without a pilot but I'm already taking off memorial day weekend for http://redfest.com/ so taking off the next weekend is out of the question

Date is tentative according to EZ and the weather. Were gonna try to catch a few days with below triple degree temps

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:09 pm 

It was good times for sure and hopefully we can catch some weather here in a few weeks and not be restricted to early morning or nighttime riding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:03 pm 

ez71pilot wrote:
It was good times for sure and hopefully we can catch some weather here in a few weeks and not be restricted to early morning or nighttime riding.

When we gonna see the video?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:14 pm 

Well as I mentioned above in the ride report I thought I may have munched a reed based on how it started running toward the end of day Sunday. So I had some time today to open Her up and yep one went by by and one was on its way. The v-force set up was an older v2ro5 with right about 129 hours on them (yes I keep track). So for the rpm's and time not bad I guess. Hope I can still get replacements. I know you all need pics so I took some. I also took some static compression numbers and pics to share. I think this came up in conversation some where.

Attachments:
File comment: crunch /crunch and out the pipe,I hope
bad reed, ouch.JPG
bad reed, ouch.JPG [ 83.4 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]
File comment: OH man
reed failing.JPG
reed failing.JPG [ 87.95 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]
165 no reeds .JPG
165 no reeds .JPG [ 60.44 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]
158 stock reed block 6 pedal.JPG
158 stock reed block 6 pedal.JPG [ 65.79 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]
158 stock reed block 4 pedal.JPG
158 stock reed block 4 pedal.JPG [ 62.39 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:58 pm 

just checked and reed pedals are still available

block: V2R05
Pedal: 2P117-1

Attachments:
DCP reed block.JPG
DCP reed block.JPG [ 90.58 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]
application chart .JPG
application chart .JPG [ 65.39 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]
replacemnt reeds v-2 dcp pilot.JPG
replacemnt reeds v-2 dcp pilot.JPG [ 56.01 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:07 pm 

adnoh wrote:
just checked and reed pedals are still available

block: V2R05
Pedal: 2P117-1

Before I spent another 57 bux on a part that is short lived and doomed to fail I would buy some fiber glass and make my own replacements like the old timers use to do for their modified factory cages and before after market reeds were available for stock cages that CF is just way to fragile and from what I have read from Engine builders after about 1/2 hr on the dyno all the gains the CF had fades away and back to the performance levels of the fiber glass reeds they just don't have the memory of the spring steel or FG reeds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 pm 

Lee wrote:
The good:

I had a great time meeting new people and riding on sand again (it's been 20 years).
EZ did a great job snagging 4 camp sited all together and he did the leg work figuring out our options.
He didn't get a big ass shade tree but all in all he did a good job (the place was butt full).
I got a kick meeting Chris and dbloud.
And Stix provided entertainment wrenching on his Pilot most the weekend (Or we entertained ourselves ragging him).

I had an interesting discussion with Adnoh about setting up a piston.
He was explaining the process to measure the rod free play and the angle of the cylinder to the crank axis.
Then using this information in deciding the clearance from the piston to the cylinder.
It occurs to me that this is the process we use in our CAD system to create tolerance dimensions to make sure parts fit correctly with production variation.
Interesting discussion that I'm sure I will put to use soon.

When I took my family for the first time to a POOA ride my wife asked me if I met these people on line.
Yes.
So how do you know they are not going to murder us and steel our Pilot?
Now its a tradition, first question after I meet a new group - did they murder you yet?

I have ridden with the east coast guys at the old POOA east coast jam.
I have done Badlands in Attica Indiana with the mid west crew (hey when is the next ride?).
Now I can say I have ridden with the rednecks in OK.

The Bad:

Some how a few weeks ago when I started thinking I wanted to make this trip it sounded all good.
At the time Hoser was giving reports on his Big West Trip 2014.
Sitting at my desk I wanted a to do something.
Call it my small west trip.

I spent 3 days total driving 1000 miles each way to ride for 3 days.
On the way out I started to wonder if I was an idiot (probably am).

After the fact I can say it was worth it.

The ugly:

All was not peaches and cream.
On Saturday evening we went out for a ride but 5 minuets in to it while climbing a small dune it sounded like there was a box of rocks in my Engine.
I turned down hill and coasted to the bottom, Engine died.
A quick inspection showed the crank had a definite looseness, rotating the driven clutch back and forth there was a clunking.
And very little compression.
My impression is the big end rod bearing is gone.
Ez gave me a tow back to camp then offered me a ride in the Wildcat.
Thanks and thanks.

I want to do a pressure test before I open the Engine up.
There are several ideas as to what happened.
I was traveling light, towing the small trailer with the pilot (mini-van with a small p) so I did not take much gas with me.
So I purchased gas there.
The Engine let go on the first ride with that gas.
I still want to check the alcohol content of the gas, it may have upset the jetting or created predetonation (I wouldn't know what it sounds like in a 2 stroke).

Or Adnoh suggested the piston may have separated.
There is a small bead of something caught in the spark plug.
Looks like a hot shard of aluminum was bouncing around in there.
He has some great pictures of what this looks like in his Engine rebuild tread.
The predetonation could be a contributing factor to this.

My favorite theory is the big end bearing seized.
I had thought the driven was acting funny on the ride prior.
My impression was it was not back shifting as fast as it should.
The Engine would bog on the longer up hill sections.
Also on this run I was wide open most of the time just trying to keep up.
This may have been the warning that I was too dumb to listen too.

I did take a quick look last night with the bore scope.
The top of the piston looks complete, no hole.
The surface looks covered with something, I cant tell if it is pock marks from spalling (predetonation) or chunks for stuff embedded in the aluminum.
Looking up the exhaust port the skirt is intact on the exhaust side.
The cylinder wall shows damage above the ports, like something got caught half in half out when the piston swept by.
If I have time I will try to take some pictures.

Any progress Lee?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:02 pm 

Still waiting on the video!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:10 pm 

dbloudharleys wrote:
Only in America!!!!
Can a group of guys get together and have some fun talk shoot the bull talk about everything from larry bird to missing the first part of class. Which i had been ribbed about!
It was a good time. I can truly say adnoh rides and drives em like he stole em and has a wealth of knowledge enjoyed the stories , if you keep up with him you have done something. lol
Most guys wouldent know how to take the redneck term I take it as a compliment thanks again for the gift lee enjoyed talking to you ,
keep us updated on the csi, sure hated you had to leave early.
I wish i could have been there when chris v was running i wanted to see it run although I did see the carnage of the clutch, first hand.
I don't know how he put it all together so fast. We all helped each other in some form or fashion. If it wasent for ez pilot I wouldent have had a spot thank you sir, I know if hadent been for him there would have been an old man in his rzr still stuck in the sand.
stix want to say thanks for the pilot I know I didnt break it out till later but sure brought a big smile to my face when I got strapped into the pilot and pushed the throttle. All in all i had a good time hanging out and talking with everyone . just too freeking hot 102 are you kidding me. a little ash from the fire even fell on us.That fire is still burning. And all who were there don't forget about april fools.
It would be pretty cool to get a few more together.

Glad you enjoyed new toy, you can thank Adnoh for the screaming motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). Anything else that breaks is on me?? Did you get to mess with the fuses. Hows the new LS date looking for you

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:24 pm 

did some work yesterday on the DCP. I took a reading to compare to the other two with stock reeds and my new replacement reeds. The was an increase in the static reading. bad pic and will get better. I also straightened my steering column as it was driving EZ nuts or eagle eye as I call him. It did make a difference in the way my bump kit was adjusted. So Thank you EZ. The steering was in a bind and moves more freely than before just sitting there. If would have thought of it I would taken some numbers on the force required to move, Sorry. My frame is still bent a little however I bought it that way so no big deal.

Attachments:
161 with v-force 2 reeds.JPG
161 with v-force 2 reeds.JPG [ 54.53 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
measurment before fix.JPG
measurment before fix.JPG [ 77.05 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
measuerment 1 after jacking .JPG
measuerment 1 after jacking .JPG [ 76.74 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
meassurement 2 after jacking.JPG
meassurement 2 after jacking.JPG [ 81.82 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
looking straighter.JPG
looking straighter.JPG [ 22.14 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:30 pm 

adnoh wrote:
did some work yesterday on the DCP. I took a reading to compare to the other two with stock reeds and my new replacement reeds. The was an increase in the static reading. bad pic and will get better. I also straightened my steering column as it was driving EZ nuts or eagle eye as I call him. It did make a difference in the way my bump kit was adjusted. So Thank you EZ. The steering was in a bind and moves more freely than before just sitting there. If would have thought of it I would taken some numbers on the force required to move, Sorry. My frame is still bent a little however I bought it that way so no big deal.

that poor buggy has been through a lot before you got it. Did you beef up that plate that bent or decide let it bend and save other parts?
My stops are no stopping, now tire hits left a-arm after I adjusted toe, might try to fix today. The stop bolts are a real bugger to get to so I was putting it off. The bolts were also powdercoated, another great idea by ATV Racing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:33 pm 

redskinman wrote:
Still waiting on the video!

Ditto

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:26 pm 

stix wrote:
adnoh wrote:

that poor buggy has been through a lot before you got it. Did you beef up that plate that bent or decide let it bend and save other parts?
My stops are no stopping, now tire hits left a-arm after I adjusted toe, might try to fix today. The stop bolts are a real bugger to get to so I was putting it off. The bolts were also powdercoated, another great idea by ATV Racing.

The steering stops on my 440 Pilot were hoserized so it turns tighter and faster than others, helps me get through the tight trails faster than others :shock: my steering column has been bent then straighten so many times I lost count I have even twisted the steering stem a few times then twisted it back, I do know that when I turn ( I think its left have to go look) the tire rubs on the A arm slightly in a hard turn with ruts. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:33 pm 

well got my pilot all back together and ready for the next ride.
I had mentioned at LS this was the last trip on my upper roll bars as then should bad signs of cracks. I have noted before that one should keep there eye on the bars and check pre and post ride. I let mine go way to long to the point of being dangerous. So SHAME ON ME, any way fixed now and ready to go. I also plastic welded some broke fender mounting tabs on my plastic so I repaired them as well why I was fixing stuff.

Here is some pics.

Attachments:
cracked cage tubes ok broke.JPG
cracked cage tubes ok broke.JPG [ 78.44 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]
bad real bad.JPG
bad real bad.JPG [ 67.26 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]
File comment: I bent it back closed before welding
ugly.JPG
ugly.JPG [ 59.11 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]
first weld.JPG
first weld.JPG [ 54.37 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]
second weld.JPG
second weld.JPG [ 91.91 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:35 pm 

more pics

Attachments:
fresh paint.JPG
fresh paint.JPG [ 70.11 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]
almost together.JPG
almost together.JPG [ 75.32 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]
welder and painted tube back on.JPG
welder and painted tube back on.JPG [ 63.11 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]
another shot of welder and painted.JPG
another shot of welder and painted.JPG [ 69.1 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]
together and ready for LS.JPG
together and ready for LS.JPG [ 81.3 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:40 pm 

You just ruined those break away roll bars. Hopefully you won't need em but we have to protect that Pilot Knowledge so I'm glad you got em fixed. You just never know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:58 am 

One of mine cracked the same place years ago, its a easy fix, I better check them again to ensure more are not cracked, lots of harmonics and vibration in that area of the cage its only a matter of time they will all be cracked, for a visual take a glass of water and touch it to the frame at different locations while the Engine is running watch the waves, at speed in the Pilot put your hand on the cage in the area where it cracked feel the massaging action :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:19 am 

WOW, that would have been bad in a roll over

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:46 pm 

I like the way the cage is attached on the 350's better. Seams like they are more beefy and both bolts are through boths tubes. Wonder why they changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:05 pm 

fully wrote:
I like the way the cage is attached on the 350's better. Seams like they are more beefy and both bolts are through boths tubes. Wonder why they changed.

I bet it was either cost or to save weight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:57 pm 

So does the pilot weigh much more than a Oddy.
To me they just don't look as strong. Are these connections on the cage a problem area for the pilot. Or this is just an extreme case. Is there anyway they could be beefed up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:17 pm 

im starting to get antsy for a ride -::

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next