Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:33 pm 

It was a good trip,
Jan and i met up with Pilotman (Craig), Crazylegs (Don and friend), OdyPilots, and Roger. We all
had our turn with troubles, Pilotman had jetting trouble, Odypilots had rim/tire troubles, Jan
already knew that his gearing was not right, but the sand increased his clutch loads - forcing him
to slip it a lot :-( He already has a new one on order,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
To prepare for this trip i put the new axles on the Beast, with 3 new CV's and boots ,,,,,,,, BUT ,,,
the law of averages caught up with me (as usual ??) The only boot i did not replace ripped within
the first hour we were there :-( I could only find the split - bolt on type to replace it. After we
finished with that task, we went riding. Another hour later i was hit by a VW rail, piercing one of
my rear rims :-( Fortunately i had brought along my beadlocks (with the dirt tires), i swapped
out the trashed rim, and was back out riding ,,,,,,,,,,,, until we were all running together and
Roger hit a small stump hidden in the sand, and i must have caught it also because my tire went
flat a short time later -------- two rims down :-( as a point of interest ,,,,,,,,, these were old
Douglas rims from when i first built it and the VW guys then were always after light weight ,,,,
So i had bought the .125" thinwall rims. I will now be replacing the beadlocks on my dirt tires
this winter ,,,,,,,, After this ,,,,,,,,, everything was great.
I made a stop at the "roving" drag strip ,,,,, a number a quads were there including a Banshee,
some 4-strokes, and a couple of dirt bikes with paddle tires ,,,,,,,,,, The bikes were the closest
behind me. In the pics you can see i gave them a 20-30 foot headstart and still passed them up
in second ,,,,,,, The Power Commander is doing a great job of tuning the F.I. ,,,,, the power this
thing puts on the ground is almost scary at first ,,,,, then it's just plain fun :-) :-) :-)
check out the pics ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tom

Attachments:
Torn boot -2004.jpg
Torn boot -2004.jpg [ 172.74 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]
Extra CV Parts.jpg
Extra CV Parts.jpg [ 140.97 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]
Torn Rim.jpg
Torn Rim.jpg [ 208.56 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]
Split Boot.jpg
Split Boot.jpg [ 102.5 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Suspension
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:09 pm 

Hoser,
The Heims were providing the extra dampening i was feeling. Once they were dried out, cleaned
out and sprayed with White Grease with Teflon, they worked very well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:33 pm 

I'd like to run against that thing one day, looks/sounds cool!

I just noticed on the Sandbullet site that they now offer a reverse. I have always thought that a 1300cc hybusa powered car would rock.

http://bajoenterprises.com/

See you in my rearview! ;-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:44 pm 

yeh even with the auto muffler it sounds evil.Quiet but then slaps you in the face when it comes to life.stay clear of the back end for sure.Shifter what are ya doin playin with vw buggy's lol ? I would think you'd be runnin circles around those boys.hey do you still have the pilot ? I will be in town for the weekend .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Lightspeed
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:46 am 

lightspeed,
The hyabusa HAS to be a wild ride, even an RX-1 belt drive, an R1, the 954RR, OR ANY LARGE
motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) will be good. The Yamaha R1 is really nice because it stacks the tranny shafts, making it
a short motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) for tight fits. I will say that reverse would be a nice option - especially when
i was broadsided - BUT i have not had to get out and push for a long time. The diff helps a lot
because it turns so sharp. As i would understand it, reverse is needed more by those that do not
make a corner and need to back up and turn sharper ?? Even when i am running at full speed
in the tight areas - with Odypilots behind me - i don't see the need for reverse ??
BUT IT WILL ALWAYS BE A GOOD THING TO HAVE -- JUST IN CASE :-)
It would be nice to meet up and run together some time. LS is such a long drive for us :-(
7-8 hours is OK, but 16 is a lot of driving ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Tim
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:58 am 

Tim,
I will be here if you call, the Pilot has been sitting idle and neglected for 2 years now :-( ,,,,,,
NO time and even less money to work on it :-( The VW rail thoughts were at the time i was
building the original Superlite - 1990 ,,,,, the shop i built it at was a custom Bug shop and they
were into rails ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:36 am 

tom what problems does the pilot have ?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Tim
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:13 am 

Tim,
The Pilot runs, but i think that the carbs are "gummy" from sitting ?? it did not seem to have a
lot of power last time we ran it ?? not sure why ,,,,,,,,, one rear tire looses air. I will have to think
about anything else. I am not sure how much you looked it over before ?? It does not have the
brakes on the yoke. I made a foot brake setup, but the yoke was brand new and you could put
the brakes back to original. The front has Works with my own long travel arms - 12" travel.
the rear is stock. 6 Aluminum rims - an extra set with sand tires for the front ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tom

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:58 pm 

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that it was cool to meet you guys. I am the one that stopped out from Shelby. I can't wait until next year to ride with you guys on the dunes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:51 am 

It was nice to have met you, too.