Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:18 pm 

Wiggins sent me a ATC250R top end and complete Engine for CSI and rebuilding here are some of my initial findings as I unbox the parts.

The cylinder is used it appears to be a 85 cylinder.

A few things I noticed right away was rust around the studs (blue), this is normal how ever if you have a cylinder that is not installed you should be soaking the studs with PB Blaster so if they ever need to be removed you have increased your chances of removing them without damage.

Someone used what appears to be white silicone (pink arrow) type sealant on the head gasket, this is a no no, who told anybody to put anyhting on the head gasket surfaces, if your factory service manual tells you to apply sealant to something then ok if it does not don't use a sealer on the head gasket!!!

See what was squeezed into the coolant passages, how much of that is now stuck in your radiator blocking coolant passages or wrapped around the impeller of your water pump, see where it was squeezed to the outside of the head, no doubt it also squeezed into the cylinder, wonder where that went, most would comfort themselves and claim it was harmlessly sent out the exhaust :shock:

The green arrow is pointing towards the aluminum stuck to the cylinder walls from a seizure I have no idea what caused the seizure I simply do not have enough evdivence to work with to determine.

I will remove the aluminum with muriatic acid, give the cylinder a lite hone then measure to see what the bore is and if its straight.

Attachments:
cylinder deck.jpg
cylinder deck.jpg [ 59.94 KiB | Viewed 12290 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:21 pm 

The head looks stock and ok I will clean it up and cc to see if its stock or not, I will also lap to see if its flat.

The pink arrow is pointing at more of the sealer so I assume this head was mated to the cylinder it came with.

Attachments:
head-wigg.jpg
head-wigg.jpg [ 61.45 KiB | Viewed 12287 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:22 pm 

The top end came with a ram valve the reeds are not seating, I will remove them and check the condition further.

Attachments:
ramvalve petals.jpg
ramvalve petals.jpg [ 34.95 KiB | Viewed 12286 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:23 pm 

The inside of the ram valve for those of you that never seen one before

Attachments:
ramvalve.jpg
ramvalve.jpg [ 68.81 KiB | Viewed 12285 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:24 pm 

Some damage to the gasket surface of the ram valve not sure what happen their, easily fixed with a file.

Attachments:
ramvalve caveman.jpg
ramvalve caveman.jpg [ 41.81 KiB | Viewed 12284 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:52 pm 

Every where I look their is sharp edges where the piston and cylinder meet, these edges need to be rounded over so they do not scrape the oil off the piston when the Engine is running, heck this might be what caused the seizure but again I just don't know enough about this cylinder to say.

Attachments:
250cc oil scraper.jpg
250cc oil scraper.jpg [ 53.4 KiB | Viewed 12283 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:57 pm 

Here is one that really pisses me off to no end once again some skillbilly has used a power tool to clean a aluminum gasket surface, how does he expect it to seal when its no longer FLAT did they actually think taking a ABRASIVE pad hooked to a power tool then put on a SOFT aluminum surface would not damage the surface? People this dumb should not be allowed to own tools LMAO

Some simple advice that applies here... for ever action their is a reaction!

The action here was using a ABRASIVE pad hooked to a power tool

The reaction was now the gasket surface is DAMAGED and no longer FLAT at this point I am not sure of the extent of the damage of if I can straighten it out again the cylinder might have to be machined, a skim cut to true up the surface again.

Attachments:
no power tools to clean gasket surfaces.jpg
no power tools to clean gasket surfaces.jpg [ 62.13 KiB | Viewed 12281 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:02 pm 

You can see in this pic someone attempted to remove the locater dowel in the bottom of the cylinder, I am not sure what they were trying to accomplish looking at how distorted it is I guess they thought the paper thin metal tube would withstand someone gripping it with a pliers and squeezing?

I have seen this act many times here is how I remove the dowels, first if you can soak it as long as possible with PB Blaster.

Attachments:
dowel bad.jpg
dowel bad.jpg [ 46.3 KiB | Viewed 12280 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:04 pm 

First find a bolt that fits tight in the dowel I used a 3/8, then using your best curve jaw visegeips grip the bolt on the threads as tight as you can, being on the threaded part of the bolt adds traction.

Attachments:
dowel removal.jpg
dowel removal.jpg [ 57.47 KiB | Viewed 12278 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:05 pm 

Make sure you leave room between the visegrips and the cylinder so when you turn it ou don't scrape and damage the gasket surface.

Attachments:
dowel removal1.jpg
dowel removal1.jpg [ 81.33 KiB | Viewed 12276 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:06 pm 

Turn and pull if your lucky it comes out easily, I have had some that don't move and you end up using a dremel and grinding them out, this can take alot of time.

Attachments:
dowel removal2.jpg
dowel removal2.jpg [ 57.23 KiB | Viewed 12275 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:07 pm 

Here it is removed, the bolt is trashed.

Attachments:
dowel removal3.jpg
dowel removal3.jpg [ 55.38 KiB | Viewed 12274 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:49 pm 

Hey Hoser,

The guy that did all that wonderful sealing and skillbillyn' is supposedly the 250R guy around here. He has long been off my list of mechanics.

I'd much rather spend the money to send stuff up to you and know it is done correctly.

BTW, that is an '86 cylinder. It's grey. It and the head are original to the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) that I sent ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:31 pm 

wiggins wrote:
Hey Hoser,

The guy that did all that wonderful sealing and skillbillyn' is supposedly the 250R guy around here. He has long been off my list of mechanics.

I'd much rather spend the money to send stuff up to you and know it is done correctly.

BTW, that is an '86 cylinder. It's grey. It and the head are original to the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) that I sent ya.

Do you remember what carb and jetting you were running when you squeaked that piston, we will want to richen it up after the rebuild my guess is the mid range (needle) played more of a part than the main, its been my experience when going from hard pack to sand the added load makes the jetting lean (more load requires more fuel) most people spend more time in the midrange than any place else, the exception would be someone on a MX track they would be more WOT (Wide Open Throttle) than mid.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:06 pm 

Carb was stock and I'd have to go check the jets but it is not going back on the trike. I have the new pwk 39mm to put on it once you are done w/ the Engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:42 pm 

How did the bore size up Hoser?
Wiggins I have alot of 85 parts if you need anything-dunno what year you have there-----

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:01 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
How did the bore size up Hoser?
Wiggins I have alot of 85 parts if you need anything-dunno what year you have there-----

Thanks for the offer . I appreciate it. It's an '86 but '85parts will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:06 pm 

no problem-anytime. :-)

Attachments:
File comment: heres mine before I got the bug to touch it
85 250R 001.jpg
85 250R 001.jpg [ 147.7 KiB | Viewed 12157 times ]
 Profile E-mail