Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL250 Seized???? =(
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12 pm 

Hey everyone!

Long story short: My younger brother was riding my '82 FL250 today and we went out to start it up again and it won't turn over!!!

It's got a new Wiesco piston in it (less than a year old) and I think that it's not the problem.

I can move the piston very slightly with my fingers (it's at the bottom of the cylinder) so it's not seized right?

I called my dad and he says it might be the bearings at the bottom of the piston or something (can't quite remember ;)

So guys and gals what do you think the problem is?

Let me know your thoughts. We might start to take the Engine apart this friday.

Thanks, Silver_Pharaoh

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FL250 Seized???? =(
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:38 pm 

Take the belt guard off try rocking the Engine back and forth by hand on the drive clutch.

What exactly was he doing when it rode it, get all the details, he add straight gas, run it WOT (Wide Open Throttle) for a long distance?

They usually don't lock up after they are shut off and cool down make sure your getting the whole story lol .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:24 am 

Okay hoser will do.

I added the fuel to the tank. roughly 20:1 (probably more like 18:1) and I made sure it's running a bit rich.

He says nothing was different, no kabang no random pop no creaks.... and as for WOT (Wide Open Throttle)... well, he isn't ready for that yet. (He thinks it will explode if he does that ;) prob to loud for him :-)

I'll take the cover off tomorrow cause I have to go to college real soon and I'm stuck there till 9 pm tonight. =(

Thanks,
Silver_Pharaoh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:26 pm 

Okay hoser, belt cover is off.

At first I could not move the "wheel" (i don't know the proper term) that is attached to the Engine.

Then, I suddenly loosened up and the piston started moving freely again! :-)
So I used the ripcord to see if it was fixed, but it got stuck again and then came loose again.
After a few pulls, it feels like it is rubbing / hitting something on the bottom of the case or something -- it's defiantly hitting something.

What do you think? I'm thinking (and praying) that it's just some bearing and there is no damage. just replace the bearing and clean up the insides.

Silver_Pharaoh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:32 pm 

On a side note,

What do think of my head?

It's oily a bit yellow/tan and slightly starting to glaze I think.
And it's also been pinged like this for at least 8 years. (We didn't know until the piston gave in)

Here is the head and the old piston--was it too lean? Also, What octane grade should it run? I use 87. Just wondering if it's pre-igniting?

Attachments:
IMG166.jpg
IMG166.jpg [ 99.78 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]
IMG167.jpg
IMG167.jpg [ 31.33 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]
IMG168.jpg
IMG168.jpg [ 41.89 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm 

The Engine needs to come out and be torn down for inspection you can get a idea whats required by reading the service manual it shows tear down and inspection.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:41 pm 

Alright thanks hoser,

I should be able to start the tear down on friday so I'll start reading the manual until I can start :-)

Thanks,
Silver_Pharaoh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:39 am 

Okay I just took off the recoil and someone has welded the nut back on :shock: but the recoil is not the problem.

I still have to take the Engine off the frame but it sounds like it's from the lower part of the Engine.
I can't tell if the seals are leaking because my "small" exhaust leak is actually quite large. There is black oily exhaust all over the back of the Engine! So after I clean things up and take it apart, I'll post some updates.

Silver_Pharaoh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:10 pm 

Hoser, (and anyone else) I took the Engine out just now.

When I took off the recoil, I was able to spin the crankshaft and the piston got stuck again and started to grind something. When I went to show my dad, he said that the problem was the recoil (which is on it's way out) but I explained that I wAs able to get the piston stuck but when I tried to get it stuck, it was moving freely. We got into an argument about what was the problem: the recoil or something in the Engine.

The end result is this: I'm on my own for this one... If I screw up the Engine, I have to repair it and buy the parts.

So hopefully someone here can help walk me through taking apart the Engine. I'll have the manual but I'm a bit nervous about messing something up...

Thanks,
Silver_Pharaoh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 pm 

Sorry to post so much guys...

Anyway I apologized to my dad and he agreed to help me out :-)
We found out that there is nothing in the crankcase, but instead the problem was in the stater!
There were lots of tiny metal bits stuck to the magnets... Something got in there and even sheared off half a screw head! :shock:

So now I need to find and buy a new recoil... All the parts in the starter assembly are worn right out...

Other than ebay, anyone else know a place to buy a replacement?

Thanks,
Silver_Pharaoh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:51 pm 

lucky you are in America mate, try your Honda dealer? I did the same thing to my 250, dealer here in Aust wanted $1000 for flywheel, coils and coil plate and CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition). look on ebay but you will find items cheaper from sellers who don't have "buy now' price cause those blokes are making $$$, also better to pull that Engine apart now, you don't want those bits off the piston still in there

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 am 

I'm actually in Canada :-) And the local Honda dealers (and many repair shops) have either no parts =( or have never heard of the Odyssey dune buggy, they think I'm asking about the van! :shock:

I was lucky however, I bought the only complete recoil from ebay. It's from a '79 oddy though and he said some small parts fell out??? and it needs cleaning.

Hopefully, I can combine this '79 recoil with my original recoil and make a half decent one until I the day I go electric start!

But I feel for you man... $1000 bucks is ridiculousness. Also, I check the piston. No scoring or scratches. The piston is still shiny and new! (I have to use the oddy more!)

Thanks! and hopefully you can find some much cheaper parts elsewhere!

Silver_Pharaoh

Profile E-mail