Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:42 pm 

83 fl250. New CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), new ignitor, and new spark plug. 125 lbs of compression but still won't start. Pulled the jug off, found gas in bottom of crank case. It did start 1 time for about 5sec and now it won't even hit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:10 pm 

Hi and welcome to the site......what did the plug look like after you were trying to start it? Was it wet?

Was the carb cleaned? Jets clear?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:23 am 

ok so it started for about 5 sec... the last time it started, It ran "backwards" and literally ripped my pullstart off lol... timing is correct, it is backfiring, blue spark, no gas in crankcase, exhaust clean, new key way.. PROBLEM Still wont start, backfiring like crazy about to rip my arm off.... I don't know what to do I am going crazy... HELP PLEASE... does anybody know anything... we have read the forums and tried practically everything... carb cleaned jets clear... my husband is a certified mechanic, he has never been so puzzled.....he has been out here working on this thing since noon and its 1:22 AM..... so he just tried to start it again severe backfiring and spark plugs are black.... oh dear lord please help

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:06 pm 

if it is running backwards, wrap the pull start rope the other direction. black plug=running rich.
do you have the check valve returning over pressurized fuel back to the tank?

if you can load pictures from the fuel pump lines/ all fuel lines. i can tell you if its correct.

I cant really help unless I can see some pictures. Pete.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:24 pm 

Gas in the crankcase got their from either a carb that the float is over filling the the carb (stuck float) when this happens you usually see gas running out the over flow tubes on the outside of the carb and below.

Another way is for the diaphragm in the fuel pump to rupture and allow gas to be sucked into the Engine .

Running the wrong way, are you using the factory recoil starter when this happen?

Two stroke will run either direction if the timing is off and advanced enough it will fire before TDC (Top Dead Center) then force the rotation to reverse then the Engine will run.

WHY was the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) replaced?

Have you checked the flywheel key?

PLEASE look at some of the links at the bottom of this page in the Similar Topics Section :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:53 pm 

figured out why it was running backwards... stator and lighting coil had been switched.. fixed.. starts and runs fine at an idle. wont rev up, boggs out when trying to rev it up. it had around 170lbs of compression while at an idle. Carb has been gone through 3xs, cleaned and adjusted. 6 different spark plugs, that are correct for this year and model. crank seals are good, flywheel key is good. Im begining to think its a pulse coil.. up for suggestions.. i bought this from a younger guy about 3 weeks ago he said al it need to run was a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box.. so i purchased one.. then after messing around with it i noticed the stator was on wrong... now im at a loss

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:19 pm 

jewlya7 wrote:
figured out why it was running backwards... stator and lighting coil had been switched.. fixed.. starts and runs fine at an idle. wont rev up, boggs out when trying to rev it up. it had around 170lbs of compression while at an idle. Carb has been gone through 3xs, cleaned and adjusted. 6 different spark plugs, that are correct for this year and model. crank seals are good, flywheel key is good. Im begining to think its a pulse coil.. up for suggestions.. i bought this from a younger guy about 3 weeks ago he said al it need to run was a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box.. so i purchased one.. then after messing around with it i noticed the stator was on wrong... now im at a loss

170 compression at idle? How do you measure compression when its running? If that's the compression it seems a bit excessive

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:31 pm 

jewlya7 wrote:
figured out why it was running backwards... stator and lighting coil had been switched.. fixed.. starts and runs fine at an idle. wont rev up, boggs out when trying to rev it up. it had around 170lbs of compression while at an idle. Carb has been gone through 3xs, cleaned and adjusted. 6 different spark plugs, that are correct for this year and model. crank seals are good, flywheel key is good. Im begining to think its a pulse coil.. up for suggestions.. i bought this from a younger guy about 3 weeks ago he said al it need to run was a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box.. so i purchased one.. then after messing around with it i noticed the stator was on wrong... now im at a loss

Take it out and try to ride it you need to run it long enough to get the Engine up to full temp and to burn out all the extra gas oil from the flooding you gave it, might take 2-3 city blocks just to get it cleaned out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:21 pm 

with a compression tester, it has 2 sparkplug holes. i let it run for 15 to 20 min wide open... still the same

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:27 pm 

jewlya7 wrote:
with a compression tester, it has 2 sparkplug holes. i let it run for 15 to 20 min wide open... still the same

You don't test compression on a running Engine its a meaningless number you test it by holding the throttle wide open and pulling the Engine over until their is no more rise in compression, that is the number that means something.

So when you were riding it after the 15 min at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) was it leaving a trail of blue smoke? How did the Engine idle ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:26 pm 

i have tested the compression both ways it has 128 by just pulling it. I didnt ride it because it wont go. as soon as you give it the gas it boggs down so i put it on a jack stand and ran it 15 or 20 mins wide open and it does not change it does smoke and spits fuel out the carb and im about 90% sure its not the carb. the crank seals look good crank bearings are good only thing on the firing part that's not new is the pulse coil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:35 pm 

You say it starts and runs fine but boggs out when you give it throttle --- that's a fuel issue. From what I have read here so far it seems to be flooding bad. That extra fuel is coming from somewhere. Your carb float level is wrong, return line to fuel tank plugged, check valve in return line plugged, way to big of a main jet, or like hoser said above - ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 pm 

What do your reeds look like ?? Are they sealing ?? Good condition with no gaps on the reed cage ??
I still think it is a fuel issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:56 pm 

float is good and adjusted correctly, lines are free and clear, no clogs. Do they put reeds on this year and model?.. bc if so mine doesnt have any

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:39 pm 

:shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:42 pm 

I am pretty sure that thing wouldn't even start and idle without them but I have never tried to be honest.
Pull your carb off and look down the hole. What do you see ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:47 pm 

Just throwing this out there but does your unit have points ??
Trying to find out if it is the year you say it is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:54 pm 

As far as I know, all FL250 motors were ported piston motors. They do not use reed valves

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:56 pm 

no points

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 pm 

jewlya7 wrote:
i have tested the compression both ways it has 128 by just pulling it. I didnt ride it because it wont go. as soon as you give it the gas it boggs down so i put it on a jack stand and ran it 15 or 20 mins wide open and it does not change it does smoke and spits fuel out the carb and im about 90% sure its not the carb. the crank seals look good crank bearings are good only thing on the firing part that's not new is the pulse coil

You need air going over the Engine so it cant over heat.

Once running pinch off the line that goes from the crank case to the fuel pump and see how long it takes before it quits bogging and the Engine revs better, if its leaking gas from the fuel pump it should start to clear up pretty quick, if the fuel level is too high in the carb it wont start too run better and rev out until you have consumed enough gas in the float bowl to stop the flooding process. The Engine will rev out cleanly and might idle really high at the point when you have used up all the gas in the carb this creates a really lean condition . If your quick enough right as the Engine starts to run out of gas you can remove the vise grips or what ever use used to pinch off the vacuum line AKA pulse tube and restore fuel flow to the carb saving you from having to pull the Engine over 20 times to pump gas back into the carb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:03 pm 

jewlya7 wrote:
As far as I know, all FL250 motors were ported piston motors. They do not use reed valves

I was just looking through the manual for a picture but they don't show it. All it says is piston controlled. That means reeds. It's a two stroke so it uses reeds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:19 pm 

ive tried that, it doesnt clear up.. honestly doesnt change.. it just dies out or if i turn the flow back on it stays in bogg mode.... that is why i don't think its the carb... this truly has me stumped, unless its the pulse coil... i have dirtbikes, 4wheelers, go karts... never been so stumped

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:30 pm 

jewlya7 wrote:
ive tried that, it doesnt clear up.. honestly doesnt change.. it just dies out or if i turn the flow back on it stays in bogg mode.... that is why i don't think its the carb... this truly has me stumped, unless its the pulse coil... i have dirtbikes, 4wheelers, go karts... never been so stumped

Stock 250's were piston port and had no reeds.

I was working on a 250 once and it was running like shit and would not clear up installing a new one of these fixed it viewtopic.php?f=1&t=909 how ever if its a intermittent spark problem not allowing the enigne to burn the air fuel each power stroke then that kit will not do anything

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:37 pm 

HOSER- Do you think it could be the pulse coil? and i didnt think there was reeds, had me second guessing myself though lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:00 am 

jewlya7 wrote:
HOSER- Do you think it could be the pulse coil? and i didnt think there was reeds, had me second guessing myself though lol

I have no experience with a pulse coil I always thought either they worked or they didnt, they work by sending a pulse of electricity to the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) telling it to send power to the ignition coil the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) then decides the appropriate time to send power to the ignition coil. Your first stop should be the manual see if their is any test for the pulse coil next step would be find all you can on the web about a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) system might give a hint how to ensure the pulse coil is still good. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+a+c ... 8&oe=utf-8

Anytime I have had a ATV with a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) and had no spark it was just a bad connection in the harness switch or plug never had any parts go bad other than those I listed and maybe a spark plug boot or spark plug.

Profile E-mail