Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:16 pm 

The carb has been rebuilt although it may not be adjusted correctly, Still has the original CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box, coil and fuel pump. It has new fuel line, check valve and lawn mower fuel filter. It won't go above the speed in the video's, won't idle and seems to have a pretty serious miss. Any help would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/03dX8IWuIyI

https://youtu.be/eXp6IvIPpYc

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:44 pm 

Did it run good before? Or have you just acquired it this way?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:02 pm 

Could be a lot of things start with the simple remove the lid on the air box, does it run any better?

Intermittent spark can cause it to run like that also, only getting spark once every other or every third power cycle.

Like jknarfal asked whats the history of this machine?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:53 pm 

Here is part of my list:
1) What is the compression (with throttle wide open) ??
2) Put in a new sparkplug
3) Are you getting good spark now ?? If not you may have a corroded wire.
4) Carb jetting -- is it to manual specs ?? A) Set float height correctly to 20mm
B) Main jet clean ??
C) Pilot jet clean ??
5) What is your oil mix ratio ??

It sounds like it is flooding bad. To much fuel or very rich jetting or to much oil mix.
Judging by that smoke and the sound I say to much oil and to much fuel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:11 am 

It would only idle when I got it. The spark plug is new, jets in the carb are new, clean and factory size. It doesn't have an air filter on it at the moment. No clue about the compression. I cut the fuel/oil mix down although I don't remember what it was. May have to try thinning out the fuel more. It starts up really easily just doesn't run well at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:56 am 

cjkirby55 wrote:
It would only idle when I got it. The spark plug is new, jets in the carb are new, clean and factory size. It doesn't have an air filter on it at the moment. No clue about the compression. I cut the fuel/oil mix down although I don't remember what it was. May have to try thinning out the fuel more. It starts up really easily just doesn't run well at all.

:shock: "thinning out the fuel" "I don't remember what it was" :shock:
You might want to start with this one first.
Next I would make sure your float level is correct because you said it was "rebuilt".
Does any fuel come out the over flow hoses ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:10 pm 

Is it easy or hard to start? Are you using ether or anything to make it start?

Did you check compression?

Did you do a leakdown test to check for air leaks?

Did you take fuel pump apart to see if it was clean or dirty?

Choke stuck on?

Ditto on adjusting the floats.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:26 pm 

My money is on a plugged exhaust.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:12 pm 

cjkirby55 wrote:

Using less oil will make the Engine run richer.

Adding more oil will make the Engine run leaner.

More gas you can get into a Engine the richer the jetting will be.

Take a picture of your exhaust where it exits the pipe if your pipe is all stock it will have a removable insert in the pipe, remove it try to run it again, without the baffle it will make your ears bleed and piss off the neighbors.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:46 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
cjkirby55 wrote:

Next I would make sure your float level is correct because you said it was "rebuilt".

Adding more fuel without more oil. I recall reading somewhere that with modern fuels and oil, the factory mix ratio makes it oil heavy.
There's no fuel leaking from anywhere and the pump was taken apart and cleaned. Everything in the fuel system is either new or rebuilt.
I think my next step will be checking the float and making sure the exhaust pipe is clear. There's no spark arrestor but beyond that I don't know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:24 pm 

cjkirby55 wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
cjkirby55 wrote:

Adding more fuel without more oil. I recall reading somewhere that with modern fuels and oil, the factory mix ratio makes it oil heavy.
There's no fuel leaking from anywhere and the pump was taken apart and cleaned. Everything in the fuel system is either new or rebuilt.
I think my next step will be checking the float and making sure the exhaust pipe is clear. There's no spark arrestor but beyond that I don't know.

You better get your fuel/oil mix right or you will seize it up.
Don't just "thin it out".
Dump out all your gas and mix fresh stuff. Just do it.
Mix it 32/1 or 35/1.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 pm 

That looks familiar to my situation. What is the plug gap set at? If it is at stock, try making it smaller (like half). Do you see a difference? If so you might have weak spark. Mine would start, idle, and run slowly with weak spark, but had no balls. I put in a new exciter coil (on the stator) and problem solved. Also, look at your stator. Has it been rebuilt? If so the coil could still be bad. Mine tested good, but it would go out under load.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:00 am 

Any luck?

Profile E-mail