Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1983 Honda odyssey fl250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:15 am 

I have a 1983 Honda odyssey fl250. It recently lost spark so we took it apart and changed the ignition coil in the stator. Put it back together and now we have sparked. So we started it and it ran but it flooded the plug right away. So we rebuilt the carburator and still the same thing. It has good compression. But the spark has a double spark and we r not sure if it's a electrical problem or carburator problem. Any one have any idea we think it might be the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) but are not sure. Need help thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:40 pm 

Djl wrote:
I have a 1983 Honda odyssey fl250. It recently lost spark so we took it apart and changed the ignition coil in the stator. Put it back together and now we have sparked. So we started it and it ran but it flooded the plug right away. So we rebuilt the carburator and still the same thing. It has good compression. But the spark has a double spark and we r not sure if it's a electrical problem or carburator problem. Any one have any idea we think it might be the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) but are not sure. Need help thanks.

Double spark :shock: explain ??
Was the machine running fine before you had the coil and stator changed ??
If you have spark now then I would think that's not the issue unless you sheared the flywheel key.
Since you say it is flooding my money says it is a fuel thing. Are the floats set correctly ?? Does the fuel needle seat properly and shut off the fuel when the floats are up ?? Is the choke closed ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:46 pm 

Are you running oem fuel system setup? Does it have a 3 way valve? Please post some pictures.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:55 pm 

We have the fuel pump and everything still. And we also tried to gravity feed it and it did the same thing. Also we shut of the fuel to the carb and ran it and it ran all the gas out of the bowl with no change. It ran great before and all we replaced was the ignition coil in the stator.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:12 pm 

Djl wrote:
We have the fuel pump and everything still. And we also tried to gravity feed it and it did the same thing. Also we shut of the fuel to the carb and ran it and it ran all the gas out of the bowl with no change. It ran great before and all we replaced was the ignition coil in the stator.

Well the flooding issue could be that the pump is over powering the floats because the fuel can't return to the tank. This is an outside chance but it is possible if the return line or check valve is plugged. Verify that the fuel is returning to the tank by removing the return line from the tank and letting it run into a cup. CAREFUL you don't want a fire !! If it is returning then it is probably a float level issue or the seat for the needle is pitted and not shutting off the fuel when the floats are up.
Next question: Is the fuel running out of the over flow hose on the side of the carb ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:51 pm 

We gravity feed it though so it can't be the pump and if the carb was calling for to much fuel when we unplugged it and ran it on what was in the bowl and it didn't change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:51 pm 

Djl wrote:
We gravity feed it though so it can't be the pump and if the carb was calling for to much fuel when we unplugged it and ran it on what was in the bowl and it didn't change.

This is starting to confuse me.
Are you saying it is flooding when you have all fuel turned off and just running what's in the carb ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:56 pm 

Yes

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:03 pm 

Djl wrote:
Yes

Well then the only way that can happen is if you don't have a main jet in it.
Is the main jet in it ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 pm 

What about your needle. What groove is the clip in ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:43 pm 

The main jet is in it and the clip is on the top grove.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:55 pm 

I have been reading and re-reading this thread. Can't figure it out. I find it difficult to believe it is flooding with the fuel turned off and the needle in the top groove (very lean). You said it ran fine until you had to change the stator and now you have a "double spark" ?? WTF does that mean ??
1) is the plug wet with fuel ??
2) is fuel leaking from the carb over flow hoses ??
3) is the main jet correct size ??
4) is the pick up coil gap correct ??
5) is the key in the flywheel ??
6) Do you have a manual ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:20 am 

1.yes
2.no
3.unsure
4.unsure
5.unsure
6.yes

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:22 pm 

I read your very first part of this post and you said you replaced the stator and coil and then got spark so you started it and it ran but fouled the plug right away.

1) How long did it run ??
2) Have you tried a new plug with the correct gap ?? A plug that has been fouled has carbon build up and shorts to ground unless it is cleaned real good. I am assuming that the "double spark" that you are seeing is the spark go to ground on the electrode ground at two different spots. Just guessing here.

When you guys rebuilt the carb I don't think you would have changed the main jet but look in the manual to make sure it is the correct size. Also the clip on the needle should be in the middle position but that would just add more fuel at this point so just leave it for now.

Profile E-mail