Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:24 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
3) I don't know if I want to say this but they fkd up that carb. It looks like they got a dremel tool and ground out that part in the center of the slide where the needle goes, so then they had to put a couple of washers in it to try to fix their boo boo. It may not have been successful and that's why you are having issues. Just my opinion.

Ummm, that was my thought exactly. I hadn't paid much attention to it until I saw your pics then when I looked at mine I said WTF!!!

Obviously someone dremmeled that out and then put the two washers in there to cover up the sin in the hopes that would fix the problem.

Idiots....

Well, thanks anyway, anyone know where I can buy a slide? I hate to buy a whole new carb :p

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:27 pm 

wjstarck wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
3) I don't know if I want to say this but they fkd up that carb. It looks like they got a dremel tool and ground out that part in the center of the slide where the needle goes, so then they had to put a couple of washers in it to try to fix their boo boo. It may not have been successful and that's why you are having issues. Just my opinion.

Ummm, that was my thought exactly. I hadn't paid much attention to it until I saw your pics then when I looked at mine I said WTF!!!

Obviously someone dremmeled that out and then put the two washers in there to cover up the sin in the hopes that would fix the problem.

Idiots....

Well, thanks anyway, anyone know where I can buy a slide? I hate to buy a whole new carb :p

This thread is the perfect example of why we ask people to post pics.
It is very difficult to diagnose a problem from a thousand miles away by someone trying to explain the issue to you. A picture speaks a thousand words.
As for your question "where can I buy a slide ??" I think your best bet is to buy a junk carb from a member here or fleabay.
Also I would love to talk to the dremel master. I would want to know what horsepower increase he was planning to achieve. He must know something the rest of us on this site have no clue about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:43 pm 

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Not sure of the identity of the midnight dremmeler as I bought this rig used, but I'll put my chips on the Honda motorcycle mechanic who worked on it last.

I'll try a new carb and report back

Thanks again

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 pm 

wjstarck wrote:
Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Not sure of the identity of the midnight dremmeler as I bought this rig used, but I'll put my chips on the Honda motorcycle mechanic who worked on it last.

I'll try a new carb and report back

Thanks again

The picture of that dremeled slide is proof that Darwin's theory of evolution is WRONG !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:05 am 

At least u were able to track down the issue relatively fast.
I've chased issues for months. Good luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:17 pm 

The saga continues....

Tried a replacement carb. Same result. Idles nicely and revs well but bogs down when riding and will never go any faster than 20-25. I tried the good slide from the new carb in the old one, and then swapped carbs. No joy.

I took the muffler off and there was no gasket. Only one spring present. There is a metal ring (see pics) on the exhaust port of the cylinder head that is 2/3rds circumerence. Not sure if this is correct.

The gasket had a tear in it but this may have happened when I took the head off.

I noticed there was a lot of gooey oil where I've indicated in the picture.

How does the piston and rings look?

Next step?

Attachment:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg [ 50.96 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5909.JPG
IMG_5909.JPG [ 37.72 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5910.JPG
IMG_5910.JPG [ 79.08 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5911.JPG
IMG_5911.JPG [ 66.2 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5912.JPG
IMG_5912.JPG [ 67.38 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5913.JPG
IMG_5913.JPG [ 60.34 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:19 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_5914.JPG
IMG_5914.JPG [ 64.86 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5916.JPG
IMG_5916.JPG [ 70.02 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5917.JPG
IMG_5917.JPG [ 91.1 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5919.JPG
IMG_5919.JPG [ 91.81 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5920.JPG
IMG_5920.JPG [ 66.84 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5921.JPG
IMG_5921.JPG [ 59.76 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:23 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_5924.JPG
IMG_5924.JPG [ 33.5 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5925.JPG
IMG_5925.JPG [ 70.63 KiB | Viewed 3703 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:54 pm 

wjstarck wrote:
The saga continues....

Tried a replacement carb. Same result. Idles nicely and revs well but bogs down when riding and will never go any faster than 20-25. I tried the good slide from the new carb in the old one, and then swapped carbs. No joy.

I took the muffler off and there was no gasket. Only one spring present. There is a metal ring (see pics) on the exhaust port of the cylinder head that is 2/3rds circumerence. Not sure if this is correct.

The gasket had a tear in it but this may have happened when I took the head off.

I noticed there was a lot of gooey oil where I've indicated in the picture.

How does the piston and rings look?

Next step?

Attachment:
FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5909.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_5910.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_5911.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_5912.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_5913.JPG

Well based on what I see there:
1) The black goo I see in the red circle you made in the pic is coming from the exhaust. It is going past that broken ring on the exhaust manifold.
2) No way to tell if your rings are worn out based on just a picture. You have to remove them from the piston and put them into the cylinder and measure the end gap. Are they over spec according to manual ?? Also are they free in the groove or are they locked up right now ??
3) Your base gasket is not showing any signs it was by passing any of that black goo. That rip was probably caused when you removed the cylinder. Your base gasket is paper -- I don't like that. I think it should be metal. You will have to replace it anyway.
4) Your piston has a scar on it. Buff it off and re-use it.
5) Your cylinder has a scar on it. Hard to tell how deep it is based on a picture but I would just give it a light hone and I think your good.
6) Did you pressure test this Engine before you tore it apart ?? That's important actually, because it would tell you if the crank seals are still good or if you had a leak somewhere else. I actually doubt you had an air leak right now because your piston does look good to me, but if the rings are locked in the piston grooves I would reconsider this theory.
7) That looks like an excessive amount of black poo in that red circle you made. It looks like it is drowning in oil and that would kill your power too. What oil mix ratio are you using ??

Edit: 8) While you have it apart check the big rod end clearance with a set of feeler gauges. Check the manual for max spec allowance. (It will probably be around .020 right now). Engine looks clean inside.

The down on power thing is probably worn out rings or a slipping belt or shivs not working (did you do the felt pen thing I recommended ?? )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:47 am 

Was just looking at this post again and in pic 5913 I see some very early signs of detonation. The groove between the rings and the top of the piston look a bit ash like. Also it looks like the rings are a bit sticky in that picture. Are the free to move in the grooves ??
I also see signs of excessive heat (that scar on the piston). That's deto in my opinion causing the heat or that F'd up carb caused it to run real real lean.
In pic 5924 you show the broken ring that goes around the exhaust flange. Good luck trying to find one of those. You may end up using red silicone or exhaust cement.

Attachments:
muffler-cement.jpg
muffler-cement.jpg [ 12.67 KiB | Viewed 3664 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:56 pm 

OK.

It seems that the problem this entire time was a microscopic crack in the cylinder that finally progressed to a full on crack. I looked at that cylinder over a hundred times and never saw it, so I can see how it was missed. Of course, a leak test would have found it. Just a guess, but this may have been why the previous owner got rid of it in the first place. Oh well, the story has a happy ending. I dropped a new Engine in that had previously been used for racing. It rips like a banshee now ;)

(crack is clearly visible in the bottom right of the photo)

Attachment:
IMG_6010.JPG
IMG_6010.JPG [ 42.3 KiB | Viewed 3649 times ]

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions

Profile E-mail