Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:34 pm 

Try unscrewing the spark plug boot from the wire and cut about .25 to .5 inch off and screw the cap back on the wire. See if that helps spark issue.

I really have concerns that the grounding connections may be causing you issues.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:44 pm 

AAFL250 wrote:
So....pump was rebuilt, getting gas!!
Except gas stopped at 3way...then leaked a little at connection to gas tank....bypassed the 3way to see if pump was working and it is.

It didn't start...now no spark. Did the testing from great write up...seems new coil/spark plug wire is bad.
Do these things fail that often? Is there a more reliable option than the NGK?

Bought new tires, had to cut one of the rear tires off...literally. Rim was in rough shape and going to primer/zinc spray them before paint.

These things are frustrating...

I'm not sure I understand the fuel issue. Are you saying the tee is bad?

There should be no leak and the fuel pressure should be low as the excess fuel simple flows back to the tank. Since you have a Kwakiutl could a clog be causing pressure to increase? I beleive you have ne fuel hoses so there should be no clog. Do you see fuel returning to the fuel tank, just under the fill cap?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:24 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Try unscrewing the spark plug boot from the wire and cut about .25 to .5 inch off and screw the cap back on the wire. See if that helps spark issue.

I really have concerns that the grounding connections may be causing you issues.

I'll try cutting wire. After trying the tests to see if any if the coils on stator are bad, seems like ignition coil was bad....but I'll try cutting a piece anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm 

rmesser wrote:
AAFL250 wrote:
So....pump was rebuilt, getting gas!!
Except gas stopped at 3way...then leaked a little at connection to gas tank....bypassed the 3way to see if pump was working and it is.

It didn't start...now no spark. Did the testing from great write up...seems new coil/spark plug wire is bad.
Do these things fail that often? Is there a more reliable option than the NGK?

Bought new tires, had to cut one of the rear tires off...literally. Rim was in rough shape and going to primer/zinc spray them before paint.

These things are frustrating...

I'm not sure I understand the fuel issue. Are you saying the tee is bad?

There should be no leak and the fuel pressure should be low as the excess fuel simple flows back to the tank. Since you have a Kwakiutl could a clog be causing pressure to increase? I beleive you have ne fuel hoses so there should be no clog. Do you see fuel returning to the fuel tank, just under the fill cap?

Not real sure what's going on. At first I saw fuel going to carb, then it stopped. Leak started what appeared to be at tee after cranking it and no start. Yes, all hoses are new. When I first cranked it to start, I saw fuel getting into line for carb....cranked it again and looked as if fuel stopped flowing to carb....then leak started at tee. Maybe hard line to tank is clogged after I restored it? I'll check that as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:20 am 

AAFL250 wrote:
Not real sure what's going on. At first I saw fuel going to carb, then it stopped. Leak started what appeared to be at tee after cranking it and no start. Yes, all hoses are new. When I first cranked it to start, I saw fuel getting into line for carb....cranked it again and looked as if fuel stopped flowing to carb....then leak started at tee. Maybe hard line to tank is clogged after I restored it? I'll check that as well.

That's right --- float bowl filled with fuel -- floats go up and close valve -- excess fuel runs through return line to tank.
Leak could be a broken fuel "T". Did you get rammy with it and break it ?? The original "T" are now old and very brittle, especially the ones that were out in the sun. Even a new one is fragile.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
AAFL250 wrote:

That's right --- float bowl filled with fuel -- floats go up and close valve -- excess fuel runs through return line to tank.
Leak could be a broken fuel "T". Did you get rammy with it and break it ?? The original "T" are now old and very brittle, especially the ones that were out in the sun. Even a new one is fragile.

I wasn't too hard on it...but maybe I'll replace it anyway.

Any ideas on sparkplug/wire situation?...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:47 pm 

Got new tee...still need to install it.

3 tires ready and last rim had rust so I had to repair bead seat, hope it seals.

Still no spark...not sure if my DVM is reading correctly but it seems like there is no reading through coil...I cut wire back a couple times already and still nothing. I ordered a new coil. If that doesn't fix it, I may just sell it cause of time constraints...:/

Attachments:
20190208_183716.jpg
20190208_183716.jpg [ 88.72 KiB | Viewed 11042 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:58 pm 

To get this far and then give up would be a sin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:57 pm 

Garemie wrote:
To get this far and then give up would be a sin.

Just don't have time to tear Engine apart if that's the case. All tires are done, even had a friend coming to look at it tonight to make offer...

Attachments:
20190209_192450.jpg
20190209_192450.jpg [ 53.53 KiB | Viewed 11030 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:11 pm 

Didn't sell it last night.

Any recommendations on intake tubing? Looked on line, bit didn't find anything cheap. Or links on where to get it...along with foam for roll cage?

Also had a question about lights. Are they only on if Engine is running?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 pm 

Intake tubing - check the search, but I believe some have had good luck using shop vac hose

Lights will only come on when Engine is running (no battery)

Roll cage foam - check summit or any racing shop

Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:34 pm 

I say if your heart is not in it, then sell it. These are old school machines, not everyone enjoys working on them. Buy a razor and put some monster stickers on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:00 pm 

Lonerider wrote:
Intake tubing - check the search, but I believe some have had good luck using shop vac hose

Lights will only come on when Engine is running (no battery)

Roll cage foam - check summit or any racing shop

Good luck
Thank you sir.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:01 pm 

rmesser wrote:
I say if your heart is not in it, then sell it. These are old school machines, not everyone enjoys working on them. Buy a razor and put some monster stickers on it.

I appreciate the old school. Monster stickers???...that's just offensive...:)....I'll finish it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:38 am 

AAFL250 wrote:
rmesser wrote:

I appreciate the old school. Monster stickers???...that's just offensive...:)....I'll finish it.

Good - no more wasting time talking about selling it. You have done a great job on this build - looks very nice. It will be frustrating at times, but you will get things worked out.

Very strange that a new coil would go bad. Hope the replacement works well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:08 pm 

Yeah...not sure. It fired once, ran till gas in carb ran out...rebuilt fuel pump...turned it over...saw gas flowing...went to start, nothing. Pulled wire, checked for spark...saw fire once, then nothing. Is it better to buy a higher quality coil vs. the Ebay stuff? Saw an orange coil/wire combo?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:55 pm 

Honda still shows them for sale. You will pay more, but it should be Honda quality. Double check that the Engine ground is good.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 49.38 KiB | Viewed 10976 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:59 pm 

If you want OEM better price - free shipping and no tax......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HONDA- ... k:141:pf:0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm 

My newest FL350 would fire once and quit. It would not fire again until several hours or the next day. After I pulled the carb and cleaned it all the problems went away. Not sure if you have done that or not but that was my problem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am 

I'll double check grounds. Thanks for links to coils...just for my 2nd Ebay one yesterday so I'll try that one first.

I have cleaned carb...didn't rebuild it. Gas is flowing but wasn't getting spark.

Fingers crossed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:23 am 

Well...I wish someone would have mentioned a ground issue. :)
I had the green ground wires attached to bolt of coil (that is where it was when I tore it down) and new coil did same thing. Fired once, shut down and then no spark again. Moved ground wire and IT FIRES INSTANTLY!!

Moving on...going to breakdown the rear tire that is losing air in hopes that I don't have to replace it. Or, how would I seat the tire bead if I run an inner tube?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 pm 

That's one you will not forget. Sometimes they are a pain in the arse to work on, but I bet you feel better knowing it is fixed and you figured it out. Glad to hear she is firing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:44 pm 

rmesser wrote:
That's one you will not forget. Sometimes they are a pain in the arse to work on, but I bet you feel better knowing it is fixed and you figured it out. Glad to hear she is firing!

No I will not. Thank you for all the help.

Would it be better to put an LED headlight on the machine? Wanted to get a 7" to put in stock place but wasn't sure if it's just a plug and play situation?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:53 am 

Something to consider when upgrading headlights on the FL250 is that the stock output is AC. So make sure whatever you buy works with AC. Also keep it under 45w or you will burn up both the light and the lighting coil.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:13 pm 

Looking forward to putting some time on this machine. 1 tire still leaking...probably a bad rim. If anyone has one, please let me know.

Attachments:
20190216_173451.jpg
20190216_173451.jpg [ 95.87 KiB | Viewed 10911 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next