Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 pm 

Fuel pump was suffering and the carb I believe may be jetted for the aftermarket exhaust. I ordered rebuild kits for both and hopefully I can get things running! Thanks again everyone for all the help on the odyssey! I’ll report back with any findings along the way!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm 

UPDATE::
Fuel pump has been rebuilt and the carb has been rebuilt. Everything was cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner. A new fuel pump had also been bought as a back up. Everything hooked up and the fuel pump will not pump fuel, neither of them will actually. The Engine only sat for a couple weeks since the last start up. It still builds compression at 150psi, so the assumption is that it’s still pulling a strong vacuum. Does anyone know if the fuel pumps must be primed or if there is some user error? The fuel is getting through the tank and out the petcock but won’t get past the fuel pump. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:38 pm 

I've never needed to prime a diaphragm fuel pump before. Sounds like your feed lines in the tank are cruddy, have you checked that the flow is good out of the tank itself? I've literally stuck a bunch of fuel hose in the tank from the fuel filler to the pump and diagnosed a machine that way, and the fuel pump still pumped like mad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:39 pm 

WLOdd2S wrote:
UPDATE::
Fuel pump has been rebuilt and the carb has been rebuilt. Everything was cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner. A new fuel pump had also been bought as a back up. Everything hooked up and the fuel pump will not pump fuel, neither of them will actually. The Engine only sat for a couple weeks since the last start up. It still builds compression at 150psi, so the assumption is that it’s still pulling a strong vacuum. Does anyone know if the fuel pumps must be primed or if there is some user error? The fuel is getting through the tank and out the petcock but won’t get past the fuel pump. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I have NO faith in any rebuilds. The stock oddy pumps are tricky to rebuild and they do work if you know exactly how. Randman has done several with success. I think he did a write up on it.
As for your second pump you say is new, does that mean brand new or new to you ??
If it is brand new then you should try to by-pass the fuel tank all together. I have no faith in 40 yr old fuel pick up lines in 40 yr old tanks. Run a line from the pump and put it into a gas can. Then re-test. If it still don't pass this test then you pinch off the return line to the tank and re-test.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 pm 

It’s a brand new pump from ODDATV and the rebuild kit is from there as well. I’m try the pump trick tomorrow and I’ll see what I can figure out with the old pump as to why it isn’t working. I’ll also check the lines and see what kind of crude could be built up in the tank since the lines are all new and just fine. Thanks for the help!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:53 pm 

The lines in the tank are not new. They may be plugged with rust and stuff.

Rebuilding the fl250 pump is not that hard. Do you have a manual.

Here is a link from 2007 with some details. Man we’re does the time go.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2898&hilit=Pump

And make sure yourfilter the gas before it goes into the pump. I have seen guys install the filter on the output side of the pump.

I would sure like to see some pictures of you setup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 pm 

UPDATE AGAIN::
It’s alive! As you all stated it was the fuel lines in the tank. It just blew me away because the fuel was coming out of the tank to the pump but sure enough, blow back into the tank and cleared the lines. Fuel is running to the carb and it starts and runs! Haven’t taken it for a test ride yet since it’s still on jack stands while the idle is dialed in, but fingers crossed it’s going to do just fine! Will post any updates!

*also*
The filter is on the tank side of the pump. The whole set up goes; tank, filter, pump, check valve going back to tank and then to carb. I don’t have any pictures of it sadly.

But thank you everyone for all the help! The Engine blew up over a year ago and I’m just happy to get one going again soon. After this one is sorted I have another oddy that is in pieces that I will be rebuilding an Engine for soon!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:36 pm 

Hey, nice job!

Glad it worked out (so far).

In the future -- we love pics of projects, some of us visit the site just to see what people are tearing apart/rebuilding as its just such a joy to look at. Keep us posted on your parts machine as well as this one of course.

Profile E-mail