Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Bad Is It?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 pm 

[image]Newbie to this site, so forgive me if this isn't the right place.

A little background. This is the first Oodyssey I've owned, and I felt like I got it for a steal until I noticed all the things wrong with it.

I've now stripped the frame of its rattle-can job, and pulled the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). It's mainly complete, but it's missing some key things. The seat, and harness is missing while the pan for the seat is rotting. Not a huge deal, chairs can be fitted, and four-points are all over ebay and the internet.

The tires are cracked, and one of the rear rims is mismatched. The cables and disc are frozen, while the coil, CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box, and the harness are MIA. Again, there's plenty of options online for these sorts of things.

The biggest issue I'm having now is the recoil starter is missing, and while inspecting the piston and cylinder I noticed my spider-webbing head. Is this head doomed for failure? I knew a re-hone and potential re-bore were in the cards, but this head could be the straw. They're not terrible in pricing as the starter, but I'm unsure if I want to keep continuing forward with such a daunting task. The CVT is still complete, but it's condition is unknown.

Are these FL-250's worth the work and money? Or should I send it back to the farm field from where it came?

Thanks for your input and patience with my new account and questions.[/image]

Attachments:
SpiderWeb.jpg
SpiderWeb.jpg [ 93.99 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
ChunkOutThatHunk.jpg
ChunkOutThatHunk.jpg [ 62.57 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How Bad Is It?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:44 pm 

Well. It's all up to you if it's worth it or not. Personally I love to save machines from their rot-in-the-field Fate.

Luckily most everything you need is pretty cheap, new or used. Heck, even FL250 heads are a dime a dozen on eBay. Best part of the FL250 is they're the cheapest of the 3 machines.

Where are you located? There's a few guys across the US who will have everything you're missing for at least a decent price.

Scratch the hone idea. That piston is fried and you'll need a bore if there's room for it. The pull starts are expensive on eBay but if you find a level headed human being you can get them pretty cheap.
Derek Tisinger in CA is a good start. +1 661-747-5796

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 pm 

if you are on Facebook or don't hate Facebook then check out the fl250 pages their. They are a dime a dozen on fb and somebody is always selling parts for them. I don't own one but follow a couple of the pages.
Bob

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 am 

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. It seems like a cool machine, and it's my first two-stroke to rebuild.

Bob, do you know some of those groups names off the top of the head? I'm apart of the pilotodyssey group, but I haven't seen anything pop-up yet.

I've got a while to think about this project. It seems like obtaining one is the hardest part for these and it's doesn't take up too much space in pieces.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:20 am 

I also heard that the 73-74 CR head will fit these, and if I have to replace the head, I prefer something with bigger fins. Does the MT250 heads fit these as well? Or is it strictly the FL and CR?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:36 am 

It all kinda depends on where you're wanting to go with this.

Some of the "better" heads can run you as much as a water cooled head (used).

You have a lot to think about, like you said. Call up Derek. He loves to chat Odysseys and has everything you need. I pretty much guarantee it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:48 pm 

Their is one called Honda hores, they are almost entirely into the 250 buggies. Challenger frames, rear suspension, Elsinore heads, water cooled. Some east coast mostly west coast guys. A good guy to look up on fb is Don Murray. His son and him raced in Southern California when the odyssey class first came about. He is a wealth of information. Andrew McGraw he is very knowledgeable also. This bunch comes across the old JB racing frames/buggies. Someone had bead lock wheels for sale the other day, wheel
Spacers etc. I only push fb for these early Odysseys because the forum is slow on information about them. If you’d like more I can send more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:30 pm 

The head is done, but don’t worry about it right now.

I’d expect your crank is also done. That’s the bigger issue. Split the Engine cases and go from there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:47 pm 

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Just a little update, I got into the case a little tonight, and removes the jug with the piston. There's some definite evidence this sat in a field. I'm still working on removing the clutch and the stator to really get it all apart.

I'm going search the forums for some tips and tricks, but do you have any recommendations for taking them out? I downloaded the shop manual and it wasn't super in-depth about removing the stator. I was going to try using a pulley remover on that stator.

I'll post some more pictures once I get the cases truly apart and can take a better look at the guts.

Again, Thanks for all the Help!

Attachment:
20200118_181520.jpg
20200118_181520.jpg [ 66.1 KiB | Viewed 5539 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:07 am 

Hi I’m Andrew McGraw the guy that’s stated above, feel free to contact me. I love helping everyone!!!

Attachments:
11D22563-ECD9-4BBF-9AEB-6201CCB3DB23.jpeg
11D22563-ECD9-4BBF-9AEB-6201CCB3DB23.jpeg [ 44.99 KiB | Viewed 4939 times ]
 Profile E-mail