Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:19 pm 

Bummer, I would for sure check out the heads for warpage useing a flat bar and feeler guage. Then I would check the deck of the cylinder as well. Base gasket well "H" covered that one. After I assembly a Engine I not only do a leak down but do a water jacket test using pressre to make darn sure there not a facture,over port ect. Good luck and keep us posted. Recheck torgue on the cylinde nuts to see if a stud let go or letting go. If all hold check gasket surfaces againt the matting surfaces. Remind us again what base gasket you used, and No spacer plate? If air test on jackets fail one can remove the cylinder with the head gasket intact and turn up side down and see if it's cylinder, head or gasket. I use my four stoke leak down teaster for this so I can control the flow. If a sloooooooow leak accures then nitrogen may need to used to be sure its not an ambient issue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:08 am 

one of the heads is shot,got exhaust gases through my water ports
the second head I got 2 different compression readings in 2 days
1st one I got 142psi cold compression,but I noticed a tiny leak at the base gasket so I tore down,cleaned everything up
Put back together useing hondabond with one base gasket and got about 132psi???
where the hell did the 10lbs go?,not sure if I put the head back on is same position or not,I will check that this morning...along with checking that head for warp
Kuda

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 am 

something ain't right... 142 on a race gas head sounds real low... 30 40 pounds low if not more... AND with gasses coming out thru the water I'm betting your jug isn't flat on top... maybe on the bottom... All that could have been checked before assembly...
KUDA wrote:
1st one I got 142psi cold compression,but I noticed a tiny leak at the base gasket so I tore down,cleaned everything up
where the hell did the 10lbs go?,not sure if I put the head back on is same position or not,I will check that this morning...along with checking that head for warp
Kuda

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:22 am 

How close is NC to KS? :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
something ain't right... 142 on a race gas head sounds real low... 30 40 pounds low if not more... AND with gasses coming out thru the water I'm betting your jug isn't flat on top... maybe on the bottom... All that could have been checked before assembly...
KUDA wrote:
Kuda

gases coming out was on the 1st head tested,it had 60psi... junk!
Im going to do a warpage test not on number 2 head along with a cc count

Gotta remember, these heads have sat for 10yrs or better in rennie's shop,nobody remembers much about them,when they switched to the 400+cc motors,they were just kinda boxed and forgot about..

as far as the heads go, I was told it was a race head;;at this point who knows..I was also told they were both preasure tested..LOL we know that's not true!
at this point I am about ready to give up with the 360 and move onto the bigboy motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))..But not quite yet,If I cant get it figured it will be benched or sent to someone that knows what they are doing...IF SOMEONE WANTS TO PLAY WITH IT??

I will post my findings in a bit

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts guys!

I may be chasing my tail though!
Kuda

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:53 am 

my money is on the jugs not being flat...

KUDA wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
KUDA wrote:
Kuda

gases coming out was on the 1st head tested,it had 60psi... junk!
Im going to do a warpage test not on number 2 head along with a cc count

Gotta remember, these heads have sat for 10yrs or better in rennie's shop,nobody remembers much about them,when they switched to the 400+cc motors,they were just kinda boxed and forgot about..

as far as the heads go, I was told it was a race head;;at this point who knows..I was also told they were both preasure tested..LOL we know that's not true!
at this point I am about ready to give up with the 360 and move onto the bigboy motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))..But not quite yet,If I cant get it figured it will be benched or sent to someone that knows what they are doing...IF SOMEONE WANTS TO PLAY WITH IT??

I will post my findings in a bit

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts guys!

I may be chasing my tail though!
Kuda

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:33 pm 

COMPRESSION FROM TODAY COLD READING

Sorry caps lock stuck!
doing a warpage and cc's now

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:37 pm 

Have you done a leakdown test yet???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm 

I built one, but don't trust it, starting over from scratch,nuke em is sending me his to copy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:45 pm 

KUDA wrote:
I built one, but don't trust it, starting over from scratch,nuke em is sending me his to copy

Simple enough to make! Just use plumbers tape!!! I wouldn't do much else until the leakdown test is successful!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:52 pm 

I follow you, is there a simple set of directions for making one?
I will do today!
here are a couple of close ups of the head,warpage test..shows no warp
BUT..it has a couple of dings in it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 pm 

KUDA wrote:
I follow you, is there a simple set of directions for making one?
I will do today!
here are a couple of close ups of the head,warpage test..shows no warp
BUT..it has a couple of dings in it

What warpage test guess I am missing something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:07 pm 

I ran a piece of flat stock metal across it,at no point could I slide a feeler gauge under it
checked on a piece of glass too,same thing

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:16 pm 

Use the search feature for leakdown tester! Did yo check the jug???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm 

dome measurements
39cc total and about 15cc in the cc

any thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:29 pm 

I forgot to mention I am at 3000 ft that changes compression about 14lbs putting it at about 156 psi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:51 pm 

All great information. Before disasemmbly take a wet test on the 360. 140 dry and ? wet. By this I mean take you dry test first then pore a cap full of two cycle oil in the plug hole and then retest twice.The first crank should be within 10% of the 145 reading. If higher than that 10% then maybe ring not seated or damaged. The second should be lower than the first due to the oil disapation. If both test are with in or close to the 145 than Move on from there and finish CR calc. We have dome cc, Now we need the deck to ex open for swept volume, gasket crushed thickness and ID for gasket volume. Then get deck clearence to piston edge for adjusted piston volume. Since you have a piston n hand take the over all lenght and then teh skirt to crown edge measurement and we can use a generic volum of the crown for an approximet CR.

If your not sure the rpm to which your turing be sure to hook up a battery tester and set it at or around 10 amp so you now the reading are pretty much consistant and do at mid day temps and above 60 degrees f. This should provide the best info. If all else fells use you pull rope to verify test numbes for any rpm varible. This of course your sure its, sealed up tight. When I get back home I will enter in your data and see where your at. I should be back home friday and will do saturday or sunday.

The large volume of squish interests me due to the rpm range of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). May waht to get some angle numbers for the head and the piston. If you would post up a pic in the jug of the piston at TDC (Top Dead Center) if heads off.

Thanks Adnoh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:47 pm 

I am gonna get good leakdown test I trust, then I thinking on sending it to hoser to play with along with my 400+ for a dual going through
I am trying to find a place local to get my piston work done first

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 am 

Top end is here, first thing I noticed is the head nuts are not seating flat on the head this will affect the final torque and clamping forces, what really needs done is better machining on the head to provide a nice flat surface for the nuts to mate too, looks like a smaller diameter nuts was used at some point in the past.

Attachments:
DSC08537.JPG [51.61 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times
Dsc08538.jpg
Dsc08538.jpg [ 58.73 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
Dsc08539.jpg
Dsc08539.jpg [ 64.47 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
Dsc08540.jpg
Dsc08540.jpg [ 63.98 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
Dsc08542.jpg
Dsc08542.jpg [ 65.3 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:43 am 

Is this the head gasket you were using when running? its 5mm too small the gasket material needs to extend all the way to the edge of the bore.

Is this setup even suppose to use a head gasket their is grooves cut into the top of the cylinder for O rings, I would find out if you even need a gasket.

Attachments:
Dsc08544.jpg
Dsc08544.jpg [ 109.55 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 am 

Deep gouge on the exhaust port bridge should not hurt anything just noting the damage must have run a short while in the past with a broken ring.

Attachments:
Dsc08545.jpg
Dsc08545.jpg [ 62.14 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:48 am 

I don't understand the exhaust manifold on this cylinder they welded a smaller pipe inside the manifold it would be nice to know why, what the theory to make it like a nozzle affect or a anti reversion cone?

Attachments:
DSC08546.JPG [68.12 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times
DSC08547.JPG [63.13 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times
Dsc08555.jpg
Dsc08555.jpg [ 93.4 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 am 

Then two notches were then cut into the cylinder to make room for the manifold.

Unless someone could give me a reason not too I would remove the restriction inside the manifold.

Attachments:
DSC08556.JPG [70.98 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times
Dsc08557.jpg
Dsc08557.jpg [ 66.84 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
Dsc08558.jpg
Dsc08558.jpg [ 56.41 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:53 am 

The detail of the port work on this cylinder is not all that impressive lots of casting flaws were left behind most areas in the transfers were not even touched, its a easy fix.

The roofs of the transfer ports were cleaned up real nice and a great job was done on the exhaust port not sure why they short cut the rest.

Attachments:
Dsc08562.jpg
Dsc08562.jpg [ 52.64 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
Dsc08563.jpg
Dsc08563.jpg [ 55.2 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
Dsc08564.jpg
Dsc08564.jpg [ 61.9 KiB | Viewed 4236 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:30 am 

I agree with the blending the exhaust spigot to the port, amazing it was not done...and the transfer ports look un touched too. I was expecting serious work in there. Exhaust port didnt look polished from the pics, more easy HP to be gained.

Going to be very cold this weekend so I will tear into my stuff and see whats been done to them. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next