Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:48 am 

[quote="go oddy"][quote="Mudbogger"]

I think it made a world of difference.. It idles great pull very strong from a dig and I don't, thus far, wish for more on top....
I hope this is helpful... but I also want to be certain that you know I do not own a Drakart.. this is my setup for my Pilot... It might or might not matter... I don't know the final drive ratio on the trans in the Drakart so wheel, tire and clutching setup may not be applicable... but the engines I am familiar with...

Guys just FYI,the Drak's trans ratio is 4.75:1,Pilot's at nearly 10:1 ratio,so double the diff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm 

Yup shes dirty, Friends kid got some mud on it the last time out, but I do not think there will be any rust on the pipe. Tried to give it a good rinse before shipping her off.

I could never locate a heat shield for it and had some header wrap so that's how that happened, it never got wet and was never stored out doors so I would be surprised if there was rust. I was aware of that possibility so I was very careful not to let it get wet. I think the discoloration on it is just from the mud on the last trip. Wrap was white and burned in a nice brown. You do not want to be in it without some type of heat shield.

Never knew the bearings were shot, meant to adjust that left rear wheel, I assumed it was just out of camber.

Jets were good for me on top, but need work on the bottom, I could never get them right or sync'd. Filters look rough but I cleaned them before every ride, I mentioned it would need new ones and I almost didn't even send those, if you go to K&N's site you can order custom ones in any size and diameter, that was my plan. I would just eyeball the slides and sync them, then adjust the idle on the right if it needed to go up or down.

I was told the oil injection on these were by passed but I do not think that is the case. I have rotary rotax 787 in my seadoo that I rebuilt and injection has a few more parts that are not present on the 583. on the 787 you still have to run it with an oil tank as the gear for the rotary valve is isolated and will not get any oil if you full disconnect the system. I always ran it 32:1 with Maxima 927.

Axle with the enlarged CV's is a custom job, other side is stock, They will exchange a rebuild for $125 using the old one as a core, but its so over sized the boot clamp will rub. If you are going to go all through it, I would grind some of the trailing arm for the clamp and exchange the old axle, place I got it from is :

http://www.axlesunlimitedinc.com/" ."..

They do a great job and their axles have a lifetime guarantee.

Compression on the Engine when I got it was just under 120 and never changed. I read that was low for these so my plan was to get a used motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) from a sled, rebuild it and then redo the entire drak one winter leaving the old motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) as a spare to rebuild later.

Battery was just a small motorcycle type, but the replacement I bought was too tall, it was a standard fill and charge deal from the automotive store. Lights wont work without the battery, its electric start and the key will crank it when turned all the way. Pull start is real easy to pull and I could usually start it on the first or second pull.

Everything else is how it came to me. I put maybe 20-30 hours on it. CV went out on me my first trip. its fun but getting in and out gets old.

Think I forgot to send the clutch / belt cover. I have it but it makes the belts overheat and break as I was told. I can send that if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:31 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Rear wheel bearing ordered, Timken "set 35" 44 bucks without shipping from Summit racing.My local Autozone had to order it and it was 10 bucks more through them, special order stuff, lol, ok doki ordered it cheaper!
Need to order a battery as I do not have 1 currently in here. Is there anybody who can look at my pictures and let me know if my current battery box is stock OEM and also battery dimensions please?

Mud, I just came across this, I may be able to help a bit. I have a few photos of the two 2000 models I used to own, can't get to tonite, but will post them soon.

A couple of FYIs, the 1999 and 2000 models are smaller than later models, I could just barely get my fat gut into the 2000s that I owned. I think putting in a Pilot wheel will really cramp you, also issues about keeping the master cylinders level, the shaft on the steering wheel is adjustable up and down, the battery box doesn't look right to me as I think most were on the floor. The exhaust is not the way it was built, I don't know if it is better, but it is different. Fuel tank looks correct, all the two strokes had a hand build tank, later models have a round one like you might buy from Summit or similar. The axles on these are weak, there are many possibilities for improving the situation. There was a post a while back where a guy had totally redone the rear suspension on one that I used to own, you might want to look it up for ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:10 pm 

Here are some pics of standard axle on 1999-2000 models, you might do better to fab in some beefier ones.

Attachments:
DSCN2065.JPG
DSCN2065.JPG [ 44.3 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
File comment: Citreon and Audi axle comparison
DSCN2088.JPG
DSCN2088.JPG [ 60.68 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
DSCN2066.JPG
DSCN2066.JPG [ 59.17 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:19 pm 

Here are some pictures of the twins as they were when I first got them. They both have modified suspensions done by ATV Racing in Arizona. The gas tanks on these were painted black, you can see a bit of them on the right sides. The 'heat shield' is actually more like a fiberglass tub that goes around the seat and is fastened to the side and the cross bar above and behind the seat. You can also see the original exhaust systems, and on one of them, you can see the remnants (inside half) of the belt shield, I had these on a three machines, but took them off because they were loose and flopping around.

Attachments:
DSCN1997.JPG
DSCN1997.JPG [ 74.26 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
DSCN1998.JPG
DSCN1998.JPG [ 70.85 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
DSCN1999.JPG
DSCN1999.JPG [ 77.96 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
DSCN2001.JPG
DSCN2001.JPG [ 64.15 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
DSCN2001.JPG
DSCN2001.JPG [ 64.15 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]
DSCN2071.JPG
DSCN2071.JPG [ 57.77 KiB | Viewed 5606 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 pm 

And some pictures of the black widow.

Attachments:
DSCN1999.JPG
DSCN1999.JPG [ 77.96 KiB | Viewed 5605 times ]
DSCN2005.JPG
DSCN2005.JPG [ 81.4 KiB | Viewed 5605 times ]
DSCN2006.JPG
DSCN2006.JPG [ 80.98 KiB | Viewed 5605 times ]
DSCN2000.JPG
DSCN2000.JPG [ 79.39 KiB | Viewed 5605 times ]
DSCN2006.JPG
DSCN2006.JPG [ 80.98 KiB | Viewed 5605 times ]
DSCN2070.JPG
DSCN2070.JPG [ 59.45 KiB | Viewed 5605 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 pm 

Here are pictures of repairing a transmission from a Tiger that thru my own fault broke the reverse gear, never wind the Engine up to 12,000 and dump the clutch in reverse, no matter how stuck you are, because after you do that, you'll be even more stuck and won't have reverse. The transmissions are basically the same thru all models but have stronger parts in the later models for the Tiger and Tornado.

BTW, you can adjust the transmission for different or stretched belts by loosening the bolt thru the frame at the bottom of the unit and rocking the top forward or reverse. Also, be sure to keep the 'safety strap' along the left side secure, you may even want to make a triangular shaped one that also supports it upwardly to the frame.

Attachments:
DSCN3966.JPG
DSCN3966.JPG [ 80.15 KiB | Viewed 5604 times ]
DSCN3967.JPG
DSCN3967.JPG [ 69 KiB | Viewed 5604 times ]
DSCN3970.JPG
DSCN3970.JPG [ 56.63 KiB | Viewed 5604 times ]
DSCN3973.JPG
DSCN3973.JPG [ 92.74 KiB | Viewed 5604 times ]
DSCN3974.JPG
DSCN3974.JPG [ 75.92 KiB | Viewed 5604 times ]
DSCN3975.JPG
DSCN3975.JPG [ 71.83 KiB | Viewed 5604 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 pm 

Drakman, what is stock compression for these engines any idea? I see the former owner has posted it has low compression at 120?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:17 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Drakman, what is stock compression for these engines any idea? I see the former owner has posted it has low compression at 120?

Sorry I don't know, maybe a sled site would be better able to tell you. I only owned this pair for a few weeks, I found they were too small for me, and my son is quite a bit bigger than me, 6'4" and 260 so we got the Tigers which are quite a bit larger.

I do know that they ran very well, I took them to Little Sahara one time for a test and tune with Big Tom and some others, Tom set up the shocks and did some carb tuning. We probably checked the compression as a matter of course, but I don't recall what it was. SpecialEd was there, he has had more two stroke experience than me, so maybe he would have a clue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 pm 

Thanks anyway, I appreciate the help indeed. Also thanks for the great information, I am going to need it here!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:47 pm 

I know my 02 Drak,600cc Doo Engine when I rebuilt it using all OEM Elko pistons was at 150PSI.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:18 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
I know my 02 Drak,600cc Doo Engine when I rebuilt it using all OEM Elko pistons was at 150PSI.

Bugeye any idea on where I can get a manual for the 2000 Engine by chance? Or are most 583 engines all the same so perhaps the ski doo manual for a sled is ok? Hoser posted 1 but you have to sign up and pay for it, screw that.
I am thinking more and more that this Engine has issues and needs a rebuild. I took the carbs off and intake, rotary plate or that's what I am calling it and the pistons are gouged pretty darn good on the sides,K&N filters suck big time!! too much in my opinion to warrant running it in this shape. Any ideas on where I can buy a Engine or rebuild this 1 within the community by chance?
I also need to post some pictures of the front suspension, the arms appear to be bent but I would love a couple of opinions on it.
Any of our Drakart owner have a picture of there battery boxes for me by chance? I might need to purchase or have my fab guy build me 1, is there a online store where 1 can buy anything for these?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:04 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
bugeye59 wrote:

Bugeye any idea on where I can get a manual for the 2000 Engine by chance? Or are most 583 engines all the same so perhaps the ski doo manual for a sled is ok? Hoser posted 1 but you have to sign up and pay for it, screw that.
I am thinking more and more that this Engine has issues and needs a rebuild. I took the carbs off and intake, rotary plate or that's what I am calling it and the pistons are gouged pretty darn good on the sides,K&N filters suck big time!! too much in my opinion to warrant running it in this shape. Any ideas on where I can buy a Engine or rebuild this 1 within the community by chance?
I also need to post some pictures of the front suspension, the arms appear to be bent but I would love a couple of opinions on it.
Any of our Drakart owner have a picture of there battery boxes for me by chance? I might need to purchase or have my fab guy build me 1, is there a online store where 1 can buy anything for these?

Mud, take a look at the photo of the black and red one with the RR tire and axle off. It shows the battery box, same location as yours, it has a rubber strap over the battery to hold it. All of them I had used fairly small gel cell battery. When I said it was on the floor, I was wrong. The next photo shows were it is at on belt drive four stroke engines where the big expansion pipe is not in the way.

Also pictured are our Tigers, take a look at the nearest one, it shows the battery on the floor/skid plate.

Attachments:
DSCN0539_1.jpg
DSCN0539_1.jpg [ 49.9 KiB | Viewed 5552 times ]
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG [ 54.92 KiB | Viewed 5552 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm 

Actually look similar but mine must be relocated for some reason? All the wires and such are in the area of the battery box currently. I'll look to see if they have been moved as well. Thanks for the help. At Hoser advice I joined over at the DOO TALK forums and they have been very helpful so far.Thanks for the reply!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Actually look similar but mine must be relocated for some reason? All the wires and such are in the area of the battery box currently. I'll look to see if they have been moved as well. Thanks for the help. At Hoser advice I joined over at the DOO TALK forums and they have been very helpful so far.Thanks for the reply!!!

You're more than welcome.

These were all individually made, more than likely there are some differences in the same models and years. Our 2000's were highly modified by ATV Racing, so there is the possibility that the batteries on ours were moved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 pm 

Drakman wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

You're more than welcome.

These were all individually made, more than likely there are some differences in the same models and years. Our 2000's were highly modified by ATV Racing, so there is the possibility that the batteries on ours were moved.

Highly modified I'll say that. Those are very very nice indeed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 pm 

sold sold sold THANK GOD!!!!

Profile E-mail