Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:21 am 

As we all know I have made another purchase from Turbo. This time it is his old Pilot.Current compression readings are indicating some issues (135 psi). Turbo has mentioned he installed a new set of rings recently, perhaps they have not seated well to the bore? Either way this Engine is coming out. I have an Engine I purchased from Nitrosport and freshly rebuilt by Hoser:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9485" .".." ."..

This Engine will be installed in the Pilot. I will have to see what intake is in the Pilot to determine what carb I will use. Mods as well will be installed after determining what is needed.
Pilot is on it's way, should expect it here Wednesday of the coming week.Shipping was $700.00 door to door

Attachments:
Turbotexas Pilot.jpg
Turbotexas Pilot.jpg [ 34.52 KiB | Viewed 12140 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:07 pm 

Congrats & Good luck with the new Pilot,.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:28 pm 

thanks for saving that Engine mud! good to see it is usable and has a good home.

also... good luck with that pilot!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:39 pm 

Thanks very much fellas. I lost 3 in the Hurricane and have replaced 2 already.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
As we all know I have made another purchase from Turbo. This time it is his old Pilot.Current compression readings are indicating some issues (135 psi). Turbo has mentioned he installed a new set of rings recently, perhaps they have not seated well to the bore? Either way this Engine is coming out. I have an Engine I purchased from Nitrosport and freshly rebuilt by Hoser:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9485" .".." .".." ."..

This Engine will be installed in the Pilot. I will have to see what intake is in the Pilot to determine what carb I will use. Mods as well will be installed after determining what is needed.
Pilot is on it's way, should expect it here Wednesday of the coming week.Shipping was $700.00 door to door

What are you thinking compression should be?
I think mine is at 135 psi right now,but I havent installed a new set of rings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:15 pm 

149 to 152 is stock compression and this Engine is on first overbore already.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:48 pm 

Well, got the Pilot today. I also got a bunch of parts with it, my hats off to Turbo he really gave me a deal here. The pilot is in remarkable shape, if the Engine did not have the lower compression I would actually ride the shit out of it right now. I looked it over and it is in really good shape, it has the common scrapes, paint fading, dings, cracks in plastic, but otherwise suspension, frame, trans, axles, intake, pipe, etc all look darn good. It is going to be ridden, so cosmetics are not really too too important to me. It currently has upgraded items:
Carb-39 mm PWK
Dail a jet installed
Power pros pipe-1 piece that's a rev correct?(I always get it wrong!)
Reeds
Radiator has been relocated with ATVR kit.
Front suspension LT custom arms with bump steer. Also Hoserized rock guards.
Rear arms upgraded to hiems on ends with Hoserized rock guards
Nice older set of safety harnesses
Front hood
Skid plates front and rear(rear is home made, will be replaced with ATVR 1)
It appears as well the rear cv boots and axles have been either serviced or replaced, the trans has no leaks as well as the Engine.I checked the air filter, it is clean. A quick check of the throttle slide reveals no scratching. which is good. This Pilot even has the OEM rubber boots covering the axle nuts. Stock rims are in good shape. Top cage appears to not be bent(he has flipped this Pilot see you tube).

The bad:
The air FILTRATION is not to my liking. I will install a dual air inlet system and forgo this system(pictured).
The Pilot has a bunch of LED lighting for desert racing I will not need.
Plastics cracked(I am being objective).
Rear caliper is missing the outer emergency brake assembly. I will repair and get it back to OEM.

Some pictures of the Pilot:
Needs a service, fluids,
As mentioned Engine is low on compression. I will replace it.

Attachments:
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 010.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 010.jpg [ 60.85 KiB | Viewed 12059 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 005.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 005.jpg [ 56.73 KiB | Viewed 12059 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 016.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 016.jpg [ 50.41 KiB | Viewed 12059 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 014.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 014.jpg [ 45.27 KiB | Viewed 12059 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:57 pm 

Suspension pictures:

Attachments:
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 007.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 007.jpg [ 49.08 KiB | Viewed 12057 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 009.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 009.jpg [ 45.38 KiB | Viewed 12057 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 004.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 004.jpg [ 50.42 KiB | Viewed 12057 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 003.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 003.jpg [ 45.63 KiB | Viewed 12057 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 pm 

Air box. This is a goner get a good look!!

Attachments:
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 012.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 012.jpg [ 43.16 KiB | Viewed 12057 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 pm 

More:

Attachments:
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 001.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 001.jpg [ 44.55 KiB | Viewed 12055 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 006.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 006.jpg [ 41.87 KiB | Viewed 12055 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 013.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 013.jpg [ 48.85 KiB | Viewed 12055 times ]
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 011.jpg
Turbo Pilot delivered pictures 011.jpg [ 50.09 KiB | Viewed 12055 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:35 pm 

Since the 2800 pilot is completed I started on this project today. First thing first was too remove all the skids Turbo had under this thing, which took some time as the bolts were all different sizes, even had some allen heads in there. 1 of these skids was an old strret sign, hopefully the TX highway patrol is not looking for it!!!
After getting the far back and center skids off(which will be replaced with ATVR) I drained the Engine and trans. I was totally shocked as they both were really clean. It was a welcomed site!! I drained the coolant as well, it was water, no antifreeze so I am glad I did that. The pilot had a ton of wire harness for all the LED lights Turbo needed for racing, for me I need none of them so I removed all of them as well as the wires. I left the 1 on the roof lid, that was it. I also removed the rear bumper, I don't prefer them and might use it on another Pilot in the future. I also rewired all the existing wire harnesses he has in the Pilot as the front lights are special LED bulbs and each has a little box hooked up to them.
The rear brake pads came out with a very poor wear pattern on them, a quick check on the caliper revealed the pin is worn badly and needs replacing. I also are in need of the complete rear emergency brake assembly for the caliper.
The carb was removed as it was leaking from the plug that is inserted into the bowl for the dial a jet system. I check of the internals saw these:
EEG needle on middle groove
162 main jet
45 slow jet
stock throttle valve
The air filter was clean as well when checked, I will remove the pre filter set up Turbo made and change with a custom fabricated 1 form my fab guy. The clutch was packed with dirt and needs a total cleaning, lubrication and I will check the pucks as well.
The main belt was shot, that need replacing..
I could not installed the Nitrosport rebuilt Engine as I forgot to get new reeds and was not going to put in a suspect pair. NO WAY!
When I took the reed cage and intake off the old Engine, Turbo installs his like the old school fellas do it, it had a thin coating of oil on the gaskets on 2 surfaces. I did not air leak test the old Engine, figured it is going to Hosers anyway but in my experiences doing a intake and reeds in this fashion always seems to cause a air leak, but that is my opinion only.
More to come, got to head to the store for shop supplies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:07 pm 

I noticed today the expansion chamber has been repaired poorly. Took a snapshot of the exhaust, you can see the piston looks brand new, no scuffs on it at all.
Attachment:
turbo engine removal 012.jpg
turbo engine removal 012.jpg [ 31.75 KiB | Viewed 11978 times ]

I also removed all the decals and stickers Turbo had on the plastics.Here is a picture of the Pilot minus the Engine. In this picture you can the snorkel kit for the dial a jet is loosely tied onto the assembly with a tie used for a garbage bag. I ordered 3 new snorkel kits from ROCKY MTN ATV tonight.If you look closely on the bottom of the picture you can also see wires hanging all over the place, that has been cleaned up and fixed.

Attachment:
turbo engine removal 005.jpg
turbo engine removal 005.jpg [ 54.69 KiB | Viewed 11978 times ]

I went to 1 of my garages and wouldn't you know it I had a complete Dial a jet kit on the shelf, probably for a 250r ATC but I will use this for parts to fix the kit installed in the Pilot.Took that rear bumper off as posted before, here is a picture of the rear, the frame is in really good shape.
Attachment:
turbo engine removal 002.jpg
turbo engine removal 002.jpg [ 63 KiB | Viewed 11978 times ]

Here is a picture of the oil from the trans and balancer cases. Also a picture of the air filter.

Attachment:
turbo engine removal 004.jpg
turbo engine removal 004.jpg [ 41.97 KiB | Viewed 11978 times ]

Attachment:
turbo engine removal 003.jpg
turbo engine removal 003.jpg [ 41.56 KiB | Viewed 11978 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:18 pm 

More pictures.The underside of this Pilot is also in great shape, there is no damage to any of the frame rails.

Attachment:
turbo engine removal 006.jpg
turbo engine removal 006.jpg [ 64.94 KiB | Viewed 11975 times ]

New fresh rebuilt Nitrosport Engine to be installed:

Attachment:
turbo engine removal 008.jpg
turbo engine removal 008.jpg [ 49.85 KiB | Viewed 11975 times ]

Old Engine picture. Turbo stated it had 135 PSI and he had installed fresh set of rings in it very recently.

Attachment:
turbo engine removal 007.jpg
turbo engine removal 007.jpg [ 50.38 KiB | Viewed 11975 times ]

I quick look on the old Engine and I noticed this seal, it appears to be leaking and is compromised.

Attachment:
turbo engine removal 011.jpg
turbo engine removal 011.jpg [ 36.24 KiB | Viewed 11975 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:22 pm 

This harness was located behind the driver seat in the area of the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) unit. It was fastened by a zip tie and all the wires were loosely wrapped around the wire harness. There was a significant amount of spare wire just laying around, so I trimmed it and mounted the relay with harness up away from the water and heat of the Engine. This harness supplies both headlight systems with power. The fire extinguisher is staying, I like it.

Attachment:
turbo engine removal 013.jpg
turbo engine removal 013.jpg [ 50.69 KiB | Viewed 11973 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:24 pm 

Turbo must have had a set of those DC rear LT shock brackets on the rear of this Pilot,you can see the mounting holes- and wouldn't you know it I got a set laying here! Sooooo I will order up a set of Fox Airs during the week and install.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:09 pm 

Looking at the dial a jet system and instructions I had. Seems like Turbo mounted the assembly in the perfect location. The fuel leakage in the bowl is from a rubber washer that has deteriorated over time and will be replaced. The fuel line that was installed between the bowl fitting and assembly was dry rotted.
In reading the manual supplied with my dial a jet it seems the 162 main might be a touch lower then what I am going to need. STATED IN the manual is the "complete exhaust system" and "high performance intake" the dial a jet system will run 2-3 main jet sizes smaller with it set in the middle position using the recommended current set up. I usually here in NJ and PA go with 168 main using a dual air inlet system.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:39 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Since the 2800 pilot is completed I started on this project today. First thing first was too remove all the skids Turbo had under this thing, which took some time as the bolts were all different sizes, even had some allen heads in there. 1 of these skids was an old strret sign, hopefully the TX highway patrol is not looking for it!!!
After getting the far back and center skids off(which will be replaced with ATVR) I drained the Engine and trans. I was totally shocked as they both were really clean. It was a welcomed site!! I drained the coolant as well, it was water, no antifreeze so I am glad I did that. The pilot had a ton of wire harness for all the LED lights Turbo needed for racing, for me I need none of them so I removed all of them as well as the wires. I left the 1 on the roof lid, that was it. I also removed the rear bumper, I don't prefer them and might use it on another Pilot in the future. I also rewired all the existing wire harnesses he has in the Pilot as the front lights are special LED bulbs and each has a little box hooked up to them.
The rear brake pads came out with a very poor wear pattern on them, a quick check on the caliper revealed the pin is worn badly and needs replacing. I also are in need of the complete rear emergency brake assembly for the caliper.
The carb was removed as it was leaking from the plug that is inserted into the bowl for the dial a jet system. I check of the internals saw these:
EEG needle on middle groove
162 main jet
45 slow jet
stock throttle valve
The air filter was clean as well when checked, I will remove the pre filter set up Turbo made and change with a custom fabricated 1 form my fab guy. The clutch was packed with dirt and needs a total cleaning, lubrication and I will check the pucks as well.
The main belt was shot, that need replacing..
I could not installed the Nitrosport rebuilt Engine as I forgot to get new reeds and was not going to put in a suspect pair. NO WAY!
When I took the reed cage and intake off the old Engine, Turbo installs his like the old school fellas do it, it had a thin coating of oil on the gaskets on 2 surfaces. I did not air leak test the old Engine, figured it is going to Hosers anyway but in my experiences doing a intake and reeds in this fashion always seems to cause a air leak, but that is my opinion only.
More to come, got to head to the store for shop supplies.

In what way? What causes the airleak? Putting a thin coat of oil on it?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:41 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Turbo must have had a set of those DC rear LT shock brackets on the rear of this Pilot,you can see the mounting holes- and wouldn't you know it I got a set laying here! Sooooo I will order up a set of Fox Airs during the week and install.

Actually they were a prototype built by lutrev that he had fox airs mounted to.I have the brackets now,turbo sold them to nitrosport with the shocks,nitro didnt need brackets and sold them to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:47 pm 

Pull the lower trans mount check for wear, hoserize if required viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6997

Pull the gas tank its painless takes only a few minutes makes installing the Engine 100% easier.

Looks like it needs a date with a pressure washer :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:01 pm 

Pressure wash it will have-the tank is getting replaced as the petcock on it does not work, the fuel does not shut off, might be rust and debris in there, so I will replace the whole thing.
I did know Lutrev made those brackets some time ago, but I was also under the impression DC copied them as Lutrev was not going to make them anymore, my apologies for the wrong information. I would like those shock mounts if your not going to use them???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:12 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Pressure wash it will have-the tank is getting replaced as the petcock on it does not work, the fuel does not shut off, might be rust and debris in there, so I will replace the whole thing.
I did know Lutrev made those brackets some time ago, but I was also under the impression DC copied them as Lutrev was not going to make them anymore, my apologies for the wrong information. I would like those shock mounts if your not going to use them???

I'm planning on using them,I just purchased them from nitrosport may17,took forever for USPS,just got them yesterday
Did you see the question I had about air leak in reed cage?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:49 pm 

Back years ago I used oil for the reeds.Back then I never air leak checked anything. Several years ago I did the same installation with oil, leak down checked it, was fine, ran it several times, re checked it and it was leaking. I from then on always use Hondabond. I just can't see not using it. I figure these engines are not readily available anymore and the 10 minutes it takes to use the Hondabond.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:51 pm 

install reeds did Airleak test base gasket on jug is leaking badly in several places.
Took top end off re sealed and torqued. Will check tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 pm 

Re sealed the jug gasket with Hondabond on both surfaces, held 6 pounds for over 4 hrs, so we are good to go. Will try to get Engine in over the weekend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:10 am 

Engine installed. When I took the top end off to reseal it I took the piston size down 81mm and boy did Hoser prepare the piston! Fine job indeed Hoser. On this install I took the advise of Hoser and just removed the fuel cell out of the frame all together. When doing so I figured I would check it for rust. Good thing I did. I took the old fuel filter and sliced it apart, totally filled with rust. Looking downward into the tank too much rust for my liking. This is prime example of why I hoard parts! I had a spare totally spotless tank here with all the bells and whistles on it, swapped it right over. As with my PPE purchase from Turbo that hot Texas sun does the rubber lines no good, I replaced most to all of the fuel lines, coolant lines due to dry rotting conditions.
Now on this particular Engine I had quite the pain getting the rear plates to line up in the dowels. After some time going back and forth, I actually changed the front Engine mounts out for another pair. It appeared to me the first set of mounts were so worn out the Engine had way to much play which was causing the Engine to not line up. To prove the point to myself (at this point in the installation I am speaking to myself and arguing LMAO)I TOOK THE FIRST set put them back in and used 2 pry bars underneath them between the frame rail, which lifted the Engine upward, and it worked like magic, the rear plates lined up perfectly. So I guess the lesson learned is in fact those old Engine mounts do in fact need to be replaced after time or the Hoser mod which he discovered should be used.
Ok, back to the install. I removed the first set, installed a new OEM set back and tightened everything up.After installing the new fuel cell in the frame I concentrated on getting the carb with the dial a jet installed corectly. I also added a new SNORKEL KIT on the system and ran that up the upper cage bar toward the radiator. I am going to leave the air inlets on the Pilot Turbo installed for the time being-I want to see how the dial a jet and thunder products air inlet work.
Internals for the initial setting on the carb are as follows:
39 MM PWK flatside
165 main
55 slow jet
EEG needle middle groove
stock throttle
Floats set at 16mm(which I believe is stock)
DIAL A JET brass fitting installed in bowl in the old drain, I did not drill the actual drain plug and install, I used the "pro installation" set up. The dial a jet is set at the middle groove.
Dual air inlet k&n prefilter.
I filled balancer and trans with 10w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic for break in. For some reason I have in my notes from some past projects running 15w-50 Mobil 1 in my trans, but I can't remember doing that. Any comments from you are gladly accepted on this subject.
Now that the Engine is in, fluids filled, etc I had 1 more thing to do. The Powerbloc clutch. When removed it was packed with dirt and sand. I had to dismantle and clean everything, used Comet clutch spray lube on areas that require. I checked each and every puck, I am going with 11 in each for the time being. The faces have some slight wear on them and are not 100% flat so it will be replaced in the coming months. I put a new Dayco HP 2003 belt on and lubed the trans side clutch internals as well before torque.
I have not heat cycled the Engine as I ran out of time last night-this whole process took me around 12 hrs to do so I was beat and needed a steak dinner. I will heat cycle it today.
I did get too change the oil and coolant in my 250r project which I bought from KY with stoneman help too. That ride has been a staple on my trips as it is super dependable.

Profile E-mail