Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:46 pm 

Heat cycled Engine today. It would not idle at all, all adjustments still did not help so I am going to a 52 slow jet amd see what happens. I even sniped the end of the idle spring as sometimes needed in the larger carb swaps, still did nothing. I looked back at my notes and I installed a 60 not a 55 as previously posted. Turbo had a 52 in it when purchased. Very dissappointed. I also smelled coolant but could find not leaks. The level stayed eXactly the same, and it was not smoking at all like it would be if the coolant system had a leak and it was being burnt. Will try again during the week on the carb, also I made rookie mistake and installed the belt gaurd, man what a bitch to do the simple adjustments that thing is coming off ASAP.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:09 pm 

52 slow/pilot jet is big. I like to run a 45 or 42.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:14 am 

Really? Wow isnt that way lean on the idle circuit with a 45?
I of coarse will try it thanks for the information. Obviously the current 60 is not correct.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 pm 

Installed a 48 brand new I had here tonight, Thing idles perfectly! Nice crisp idle, air screw 1 3/4 turns out. I also took off the belt gaurd thank goodness. Installed a inline fuel filter going direct to the carb itself tonight. Did 1 heat cycle, it is raining here bad so I will try again in the coming days. Thanks for the help on this shoubadaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm 

No problem buddy. I run such a small pilot jet cuz i hate loading up with fuel at idle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:18 pm 

I figured as much. I just worry about leaning it out at times, so I run a touch fatter then probably needed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:34 pm 

More heat cycles today on the new Engine. I also installed a EQUIIS tach on the ride and it works well. I will continue the heat cycles on the Engine. I fine tuned the idle circuit, I probably could have gone down to the 45 or even 42 slow jet as the idle screw is turned in pretty much all the way, it is rich on idle, but that might be a good thing, rather foul a plug then smoke that fresh top end.
I also retorqued the clutch, checked the temp sensor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:10 am 

Turbo old Engine is at Hosers for a CSI in the coming weeks. According to Turbo he had installed a set of new rings in it just before selling it to me, so hopefully we have just a top end rebuild at the most. I might however just have Hoser rip it down and start off fresh. Now I need a Pilot to use it in :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:50 am 

shoubadaba wrote:
No problem buddy. I run such a small pilot jet cuz i hate loading up with fuel at idle.

I run my pilot jet on the fat side so when I get done with a mile or so long WOT (Wide Open Throttle) run and let off the gas turning off the cooling and lubrication to my piston it gets plenty of extra gas and oil to lube and cool my over heated piston and to reduce wear.

Never fouled any plugs had one plug last 8 years when I was still running my Honda Engine changed it because the center electrode was showing signs of wear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 am 

more heat cycling today on the new Engine. I will start with the slow ride at a quarter fthrottle for a spell or two. want to make sure this Engine is broken in before I do anything else. well also check to make sure that the fan is coming on at appropriate temperature. it is darn near 100 degrees today in the Sun here in New Jersey so the fan should come on quite quickly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:11 am 

also looking to order new set of beadlock rims and new tires for this project the old tires and rims are in poor condition with multiple bends in the rims and holes in the tires.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:09 pm 

Finally got around to getting tires and rims for this project:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12763

So now I have a nice set of OMF rims, need tires. Go to my good old laptop, look under favorites, Rocky Mtn ATV, and set my sights on new ITP Mudlites front and rear, ordered new 24's for rear, 23's for the front. Expecting delivery on the 2nd of Jan got the rims already here, old rims in front will be used for the Vroom pilot, rears will go into stock for future use.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:00 am 

Pictures of rims and tires installed. The offset for the front rims is pretty steep, did not think it through when Steve gave the dimensions of the rims, but I will try them out anyway.

Attachments:
MISC PICTURES 017.jpg
MISC PICTURES 017.jpg [ 41.99 KiB | Viewed 5764 times ]
MISC PICTURES 018.jpg
MISC PICTURES 018.jpg [ 43.37 KiB | Viewed 5764 times ]
MISC PICTURES 019.jpg
MISC PICTURES 019.jpg [ 41 KiB | Viewed 5764 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:57 pm 

Sweet. I actually like that width, it looks like you can charge right into the corners. And the new tires will make your shop smell just like a motorcycle dealership showroom each morning when you go out for a little while.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:42 pm 

John l wrote:
Sweet. I actually like that width, it looks like you can charge right into the corners. And the new tires will make your shop smell just like a motorcycle dealership showroom each morning when you go out for a little while.

Yeah looks cool wait until you hit the first rut or bump in the trail and it rips the steering yoke right out of your hands and draws blood, been their done that, seen it happen to others simple leverage thing or "pain amplifier" when its not trying to rip the steering yoke out of your hands it also gives the driver a feeling they need to keep a death grip on the steering yoke and causes forearm pump and driver fatigue.

Where is Stoneman I remember the time he showed up to the Badlands with a cool looking offset front rims and went home bleeding from both hands haha, we found a cool jump and were taking turns jumping every time he landed on one front tire slightly it ripped the steering yoke out of his hands he even had his buddy try it a few times so he could experience the same pains haha he fought and cussed them rims all day long.

Those rims were not for long.

When I bought my Pilot the front tires were almost bald, then I had no access for changing ATV tires and the local stealer wanted 20 bux to change a tire, it was cheaper for me to buy new steel rims and tires from Rockymountainatv.com so I did those wrong offset rims did the same to me and only lasted on my Pilot one ride trip, I gladly paid the local stealer to install my new tires on my OEM rims, lesson learned.

I suggest you buy wider offset rims and give it a try fact is have some wheel spacers made so you can get that extra width, looks cool and will "charge" right into any corner better :-)

If your looking for a wider stance, better steering, less drivers fatigue I suggest +2" A arms and FOX shocks in the front with stock rims. http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3825 Faster, safer, less painful than all the other stupid attempts and ideas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:29 pm 

hoser wrote:
John l wrote:

Yeah looks cool wait until you hit the first rut or bump in the trail and it rips the steering yoke right out of your hands and draws blood, been their done that, seen it happen to others simple leverage thing or "pain amplifier" when its not trying to rip the steering yoke out of your hands it also gives the driver a feeling they need to keep a death grip on the steering yoke and causes forearm pump and driver fatigue.

Where is Stoneman I remember the time he showed up to the Badlands with a cool looking offset front rims and went home bleeding from both hands haha, we found a cool jump and were taking turns jumping every time he landed on one front tire slightly it ripped the steering yoke out of his hands he even had his buddy try it a few times so he could experience the same pains haha he fought and cussed them rims all day long.

When I bought my Pilot the front tires were almost bald, then I had no access for changing ATV tires and the local stealer wanted 20 bux to change a tire, it was cheaper for me to buy new steel rims and tires from Rockymountainatv.com so I did those wrong offset rims did the same to me and only lasted on my Pilot one ride trip, I gladly paid the local stealer to install my new tires on my OEM rims, lesson learned.

I suggest you buy wider offset rims and give it a try fact is have some wheel spacers made so you can get that extra width, looks cool and will "charge" right into any corner better :-)

If your looking for a wider stance, better steering, less drivers fatigue I suggest +2" A arms and FOX shocks in the front with stock rims. http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3825 Faster, safer, less painful than all the other stupid attempts and ideas.

Why oh why are guys obsessed with this aluminum junk with wrong offset? I learned the hard way like Hoser said. That's shit is painful, but yet I have been told by other forum members that I don't know what I'm talking about which irks the crap out of me! My 2cents!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:17 pm 

Randy J. wrote:
hoser wrote:
John l wrote:

Why oh why are guys obsessed with this aluminum junk with wrong offset? I learned the hard way like Hoser said. That's shit is painful, but yet I have been told by other forum members that I don't know what I'm talking about which irks the crap out of me! My 2cents!

Blinded by bling see it happen most every day, you be surprised how truly ignorant the general public is and thinks anything after market is better than OEM and any design changes like rim offset is a smarter idea than the OEM engineers could engineer, then you have those that apply to the old saying my dad use to say "you will be surprised at what you can get away with when you don't know any better" :-)

Keep giving your best advice when you see something wrong, then let the advised live and learn, I learned the hard way, I had nobody to advise me not to buy the wrong offset rims I had a after market vendor pick the rims I needed for my Pilot and was told they are for my machine, what a exercise in confusion, waste of time and money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:05 pm 

Got to be honest I purchased the rims from Steve to help him out and I have Plus 2 ams on the pilot as we speak.
I am going to try the offset as is. I don't race I don't jump I trail ride and the width might be a bit much but the also it might not help, but maybe it will for me in my rocky terrain where I could use a bit of help.
I have driven with an out of adjustment Yoda kit and I never had the steering wheel pulled out of my hands. never. I didn't buy the rims for Bling I purchase them to help out a fellow member and to upgrade the rims on my pilot.
I resent the statement that I am obsessed with buying alumn bling. if the rims are inferior I will scrap them for stock my stock rims are all bent from TurboTexas hitting rocks with them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:22 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Got to be honest I purchased the rims from Steve to help him out and I have Plus 2 ams on the pilot as we speak.
I am going to try the offset as is. I don't race I don't jump I trail ride and the width might be a bit much but the also it might not help, but maybe it will for me in my rocky terrain where I could use a bit of help.
I have driven with an out of adjustment Yoda kit and I never had the steering wheel pulled out of my hands. never. I didn't buy the rims for Bling I purchase them to help out a fellow member and to upgrade the rims on my pilot.
I resent the statement that I am obsessed with buying alumn bling. if the rims are inferior I will scrap them for stock my stock rims are all bent from TurboTexas hitting rocks with them.

haha I was speaking in general I figured you bought them for the bead lock feature.

Yeah for sure if the suspension is not adjusted right it will rip the steering out of your hands I experienced that with my +2" setup when I first installed then again with the YODA +2" arm setup fact is my YODA setup still needs a final adjustment as its still twitchy and not dialed in like my old +2" arms were, its on my list soon as the weather turns to adjust the caster more (Lee's suggestion) its real close so should be fairly easy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:06 pm 

Well from my experience with aluminum wheels and rocky terrain...I threw my away and went back to steel because the aluminum failed. Yes they look nice, bud when there covered in mud who cares...LOL

Profile E-mail