Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:24 pm 

That is an ALT, but may have been an ALT that HRD sold. The HRD Powerblocs have a dome shaped cap. Harold at HRD taps the clutches all the way through after he receives them from Powerbloc (so he says), and he will sell you an ALT if you ask for one. To my knowledge all the Powerblocs from other vendors are not tapped all the way through. The older ALTs were not tapped all the way through from the factory. The new ones are not either, unless Powerbloc has now started tapping them all the way through also.

The HRD clutches take a standard puller bolt, but some of the older Powerblocs I've had took metric puller bolts so I am always real careful to make sure I'm using the correct one. Otherwise you can end up with mangled mess of threads inside a clutch that is still firmly attached to the Engine. I bought an Engine one time with the clutch done like that and ended up drilling and tapping the clutch out to the next size up while it was attached to the Engine. It worked out fine though and I just finished tapping it the rest of the way through once I got it off.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:45 am 

Bill.. wrote:
That is an ALT, but may have been an ALT that HRD sold. The HRD Powerblocs have a dome shaped cap. Harold at HRD taps the clutches all the way through after he receives them from Powerbloc (so he says), and he will sell you an ALT if you ask for one. To my knowledge all the Powerblocs from other vendors are not tapped all the way through. The older ALTs were not tapped all the way through from the factory. The new ones are not either, unless Powerbloc has now started tapping them all the way through also.

The HRD clutches take a standard puller bolt, but some of the older Powerblocs I've had took metric puller bolts so I am always real careful to make sure I'm using the correct one. Otherwise you can end up with mangled mess of threads inside a clutch that is still firmly attached to the Engine. I bought an Engine one time with the clutch done like that and ended up drilling and tapping the clutch out to the next size up while it was attached to the Engine. It worked out fine though and I just finished tapping it the rest of the way through once I got it off.

HMM, MINE TOOK A STANDARD BOLT-and it is dome shaped as well??????
So it's an ALT then :-) -I thought if it was tapped all the way is wasnt-learn something new here every day!!Thanks again Bill for the help, I guess this is a example of the clutches Harold said he tapped through then.Is it typical for the clutch to "pop" when removed?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:25 am 

Here is a picture of a dome cap HRD clutch. The cap style is what makes the difference. You can take an HRD dome cap clutch and install an ALT cap and sliders, then it would be an ALT. Harold at HRD invented the dome cap, so that is what he tries to sell mostly, but you can still buy an ALT cap powerbloc from him if you ask for it.

So I think you have an ALT cap clutch that was originally purchased from HRD. The HRD dome caps were having trouble breaking, so maybe someone swapped it from and HRD to an ALT.

And yes sometimes they make a pop sound when they come off, especially if they have been on there a while.

Attachments:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 112.29 KiB | Viewed 12026 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:39 pm 

Rear suspension is off-every arm on the right side is bent-see pics.
The upper ball joint boot is bad, I think I'll just replace the boot, not the whole joint if necessary, I'll check Service for the pirce on the whole joint itself-if it's cheap enough I'll go with total replacement.
Axles are out, never been lubricated so I'll clean and check them as per

.. http://12.215.127.130/800reasons.htm

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopi ... de318bf6e2

And yes Stoneman, that should be all that's bent on the thing-LMAO.

Attachments:
File comment: Not a good way to fasten your rims to the hubs-BOLTS that slid through the hub-no good.I'll replace with OEM STUDS.
New Pilot 061.jpg
New Pilot 061.jpg [ 152.63 KiB | Viewed 11976 times ]
File comment: Bad boot on ball joint
New Pilot 066.jpg
New Pilot 066.jpg [ 153.03 KiB | Viewed 11976 times ]
File comment: splines seem ok, alot of dirt in there, they need to be cleaned and new circlips installed.
New Pilot 064.jpg
New Pilot 064.jpg [ 144.34 KiB | Viewed 11976 times ]
File comment: trans seal good, but I will replace both sides with new anyway while I'm in here.
New Pilot 065.jpg
New Pilot 065.jpg [ 139.28 KiB | Viewed 11976 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:08 pm 

GOODIES came today from SERVICE HONDA-big ol' box of fun!!!!
Included was all new front suspension a-arms(missing upper left arm-expected in day or 2)-parking brake cable, reflectors,shift lever aseembly, new shifter cables,steering stem bushing top and bottom, tie rods,parking brake spring for idiot light,cross pads, rubbers, clamps and assorted little cosmetic things
Also included was the rear suspension bars, left and right side cushions.
Hope to start installing shortly, but will wait till all the parts get here.I also need to this weekend take the frame to my buddies shop for a rad relocate and straigthening of the front tube that's bent as well.Currently just the trans in the frame and I will remove that later tonight -permitting the Mrs. doesn't have her way!!!!
I am going to take the axles to work tomorrow and clean them up, I don't presently have a bench wheel/grinder here and I can access the parts cleaner tank so I'll remove and regrease the cv's when doing the splines there at this time.
I ordered new bearings and seals for the carriers as well, so they will go into the tank for a good cleaning AND PREP as well.

motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is currently on it's way to Hosers place for a complete comprehensive checkup-lets hope all is well there!!!

Attachments:
File comment: It's Christmas here in Mudville!!!
New Pilot 068.jpg
New Pilot 068.jpg [ 147.97 KiB | Viewed 11953 times ]
File comment: Got some work ahead of me for sure.
New Pilot 069.jpg
New Pilot 069.jpg [ 151 KiB | Viewed 11953 times ]
File comment: dirty, needs TLC.
New Pilot 067.jpg
New Pilot 067.jpg [ 153.21 KiB | Viewed 11930 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:44 pm 

From the pics looks like someone had Christmas early. Whats up Mudbogger, I ride with cafer & hare when ever we have the chance,so hope to see ya up & running soon. Nice project!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:11 pm 

Thanks , I hope to ride with you guys in the coming months as well, It is a long time for myself,PM me a number I can call you at, we can set something up locally with the guys here in NJ MABYE?

Christmas is coming again in about 3 days as well, LMAO she is getting pissed off hehehe!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:22 pm 

Christams came again today, with another big ol' box of fun from Service Honda-pics, tomorrow for sure.

Attachments:
File comment: More goodies from SantHonda!!!! Still awaiting another box-hehe she getting violent now!!! LMAO!!!
New Pilot 074.jpg
New Pilot 074.jpg [ 140.21 KiB | Viewed 12189 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:44 pm 

Todays progress on project:
Frame is totally disassembled and in the back of the truck -to be taken down to welders shop for rad relocate and front tube repair, motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is in transit from Hosers, it was damaged when it arrivied there and Hoser smartly refused it- we await its arrival back to me to see what went wrong, what kind of damage it has to it-etc details forthcoming.I was surprised as heck to see the Pilot frame in the back of my Yukon, but it fits in there, crazy huh?It is raining to hard here to take pic, I'll snap 1 tomorrow for you.

Attachments:
File comment: trans out and on floor awaits a good cleaning and seal replacement.
New Pilot 023.jpg
New Pilot 023.jpg [ 154.73 KiB | Viewed 12111 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:38 am 

whats up with the damage mud? Didn't you build a case for it? Take some pics. And definitely put in a claim with UPS.....new motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) time :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:08 pm 

I did if you can believe it, The crate was made of 2 x 4's and 1/2 thick plywood and it was rock solid.I didn't see the box to date yet-Hosers son has seen it and told us the whole side of the crate was smashed in, so I'll see when it arrives here to me.I have to wait for it's arrival, the 21st there telling me now,I did file a claim with UPS so we will see what happens with that after I receive the box, I am praying the Engine isnt hurt to bad!!!!

Got another box of goodies today from SERVICE HONDA-frame is at welders presently dropped it off today-I am now thinking of getting the frame sandblasted and powdercoated-I got hooked up with a shop through my employer and it may be cheap enough to go for it-I'll see what the cost is-heres a pic of the goodies.

Attachments:
File comment: Nice and clean-like it should be-to bad the other parts arent LOL
New Pilot 022.jpg
New Pilot 022.jpg [ 152.22 KiB | Viewed 12115 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:51 pm 

Todays progress:
I took the trans and completely cleaned the outide,looks alot better and easier to work on
Both left and right side knuckle/bearing carriers on the rear are shot, it appears the previous owner had a bearing spin in 1 then used a air chisel to get it out(pics to follow) the gouges are deep.When I purchased the Pilot, I noticed the right rear hub was loose, heres why-the bearings were walloped in the carrier and it appears to have been rode this way for some time-the housing itself is chewed away where the hub for the tire slids into it(pics to follow)and is in bad shape, I don't think I can install new seals on it without them leaking, there was silicone all around the existing seals when I cleaned it-so I am thinking of total replacement.It doesnt seem to make sense to install new bearings and seals for them to get all trashed by mud, etc, I do not want to have to constantly do maintence on them after every ride, so I think I'll go the replacement route here.I'll post pics tom.

Attachments:
File comment: Trans cleaned up looks alot better than the before shots HUH?
New Pilot 024.jpg
New Pilot 024.jpg [ 146.49 KiB | Viewed 12022 times ]
File comment: Lower Mounting hole oblonged from being loose for spell.The rear arms attach to this knuckle on bottom.
New Pilot 028.jpg
New Pilot 028.jpg [ 151.4 KiB | Viewed 12022 times ]
File comment: Hard to see but there are gouges in there where the bearing must have spun and was taken out with air chisel IMO
New Pilot 029.jpg
New Pilot 029.jpg [ 158.57 KiB | Viewed 12022 times ]
File comment: Another pic
New Pilot 030.jpg
New Pilot 030.jpg [ 149.82 KiB | Viewed 12022 times ]
File comment: Bearing that came out of the pictured knuckle
New Pilot 026.jpg
New Pilot 026.jpg [ 136.45 KiB | Viewed 12022 times ]
File comment: Area where material has been worn/oblonged away from bad bearing.
New Pilot 034.jpg
New Pilot 034.jpg [ 152.78 KiB | Viewed 12022 times ]
File comment: another look
New Pilot 036.jpg
New Pilot 036.jpg [ 150.72 KiB | Viewed 12022 times ]
File comment: another, hard to see-bad pic
New Pilot 032.jpg
New Pilot 032.jpg [ 147.5 KiB | Viewed 12022 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:07 pm 

damn mud, you are doing a complete restore, you will have the nicest looking pilot anyway...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:06 am 

Hey Mud, you gonna share this price tag with us when your complete? Seems to me like your could of went out and bought a new porsche for all the $$$$ your putting into this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:01 pm 

Hey bro-whats up?I will indeed share the total costs to date with you-

1 st SERVICE HONDA ORDER-$1,671.00
2ND SERVICE HONDA ORDER-$600.12
3RD SERVICE HONDA ORDER-$654.38
NEW top end from Litespeed(if needed)$500.00 with shipping
4TH SERVICE HONDA ORDER-$900.57
5TH SERVICE HONDA order-$237.56
6th SERVCIE HONDA order-$53.13
Welding fees, free to date as were the cleaning supplies etc.
I do not have any sandblasting and painting/powdercoating fees as of today and this does not include the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) rebuild-it has been a bit pricey, but I am a perfectionist(ask Mass he has seen the insanity), I usually go alittle overboard on these types of projects Also this Pilot is gonna stay here with me so----and YES I could have gotten these parts used and saved a bunch of dough too but at least I know exactly what I got, whats in it, I love fresh clean new parts !! and I know the frame is straight which is HUGE.Over the years I have bought so called "fresh rebuilds" pilot/odysseys only to find out the damage is severe internaly, the PCP port job or ATVR jug looks to be done by a pre-schooler-so for me to actually know exactly what I have to ride each time I go, the security of knowing my ride is 100% safe is priceless-as you can tell by those figures-lol lol :-) :-)
:-)

Attachments:
File comment: other side knuckle, not good
New Pilot 037.jpg
New Pilot 037.jpg [ 142.12 KiB | Viewed 12021 times ]
File comment: Pic of last ody restore, I do go alittle overboard on them huh?
350 restore 001.jpg
350 restore 001.jpg [ 154.71 KiB | Viewed 12021 times ]
File comment: Spacer from knuckle, see the gouging on this??
New Pilot 027.jpg
New Pilot 027.jpg [ 127.5 KiB | Viewed 12019 times ]
File comment: left side Knuckle
New Pilot 033.jpg
New Pilot 033.jpg [ 151.18 KiB | Viewed 12019 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:30 pm 

Thanks for sharing that cost. I by no means, thick it's crazy to do it right. As you can see from my chopper build everything is top notch. My quads, and the pilot, i will go out of the way to make sure it is mechanically sound for every ride. Safety first. And of course the less break downs the more fun you can have. As for the cosmetics on the pilot and quads...not to worried about the plastics and so forth......cause if I'm riding hard I can worry about scratching it.
But thanks for postin the entire rebuild. It has given me the inspiration to actual do mine. I plan on starting on it after next season and make it my winter project. I came close to rippin her apart this year , but the chopper must be complete to trailer to Myrtle beach in May 07.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:40 pm 

Your very welcome, I would hate to see the $$ for that chopper rebuild!!!I totally agree, safety is top priority-I will spend till it to make it 100% safe for me or anybody that rides it-money is never an issue for these rides, I love them.I am still if you can believe toying with the idea of getting the frame sandblasted/powdercoated,there really arent that many brackets, etc like a 350 has, so the cost would be substancally less for that, but I am going to ride this thing so I have to make mind up sooner or later.

Attachments:
File comment: Hope it may look like this 1-I sold this Pilot some time back.
ebay pilot for sale. 001.jpg
ebay pilot for sale. 001.jpg [ 153.64 KiB | Viewed 12003 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:07 am 

WOW!!! I wish I had half the patience you have showed with this!!! I am on the road so much, that when I get home I want to ride the dang thing, and don't spend near enough time rebuilding!!! Great Job!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:50 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
WOW!!! I wish I had half the patience you have showed with this!!! I am on the road so much, that when I get home I want to ride the dang thing, and don't spend near enough time rebuilding!!! Great Job!!!

Thanks very much, but if you want to see a sweet ride, you got to see Pilotmans rides-his make mine look like shitboxes-I am totally serious, his are perfect, bottom to top!!
Today progress: got the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) back from UPS-I can honestly say it has been a trying time to get the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) back, I had to go to the UPS hub here locally and pick it up today-if not it was going to sit till Monday due to the holiday.I ,from here forward are going to use other shippers, they are incredibly hard to get information from when a package is damaged, have customer servcie reps that are like Helen Keller-deaf and dumb(nothing against deaf/dumb people)I was put through the ringer and wish nobody here has to deal with there line of BS like I just did for the past 9 days.Heres some pictures of the crate I made, the packing material-I think somebody nailed 1 side of the crate back down, other than that everything appears to be ok, I am very thankful to Hoser and son for noticing something wasn't kosher on the initial delivery, God knows what would have happened if I left the thing at UPS for another 4 days-
anybody got any recommendations for reshipping this motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?????, I have used cardboard before, but wasn't happy with the performance of it-any suggestions are greatly apprec.

Attachments:
File comment: CRATE I built
New Pilot 038.jpg
New Pilot 038.jpg [ 140.57 KiB | Viewed 11935 times ]
File comment: Inside of crate, you can see the 2x4's , the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was fastened down to these by 2 brackets.
New Pilot 040.jpg
New Pilot 040.jpg [ 149.29 KiB | Viewed 11935 times ]
File comment: Packing material inside the crate
New Pilot 041.jpg
New Pilot 041.jpg [ 156.11 KiB | Viewed 11935 times ]
File comment: motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is fine thank goodness
New Pilot 039.jpg
New Pilot 039.jpg [ 149.92 KiB | Viewed 11935 times ]
File comment: outside damage to crate-
New Pilot 043.jpg
New Pilot 043.jpg [ 147.67 KiB | Viewed 11935 times ]
File comment: another view of crate-solid construction made in USA by union member!!
New Pilot 042.jpg
New Pilot 042.jpg [ 139.91 KiB | Viewed 11935 times ]
File comment: crank end cover still untouched-and yes that a plug for a quick release plow end from my WESTERN plow-lol. fits perfectly.
New Pilot 044.jpg
New Pilot 044.jpg [ 146.68 KiB | Viewed 11935 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:09 pm 

I'd put it right back in the same crate and use screws this time instead of nails. Maybe tape cardboard all the way around it so they think it is a regular cardboard box. Then put fragile stickers all over it and insure it for $1000. Ship it USPS, Fed Ex, DHL or whoever else has not screwed you around yet. USPS will ship up to 75 pounds. How much does the crate weigh?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:11 pm 

Kid said the head was rubbing on the top of the crate and it chewed some of the wood away??? Look very close for damage before you ship again also take 50 detail pics of the Engine and inside of the crate before you package so if their is damage the second time it is shipped you have solid proof it was not damage from first shipping.

They going to cover the cost of the shipping the first time around?

You went the extra mile and expense of making a wood crate then they knock the side off and blame you lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:01 pm 

Bill.. wrote:
I'd put it right back in the same crate and use screws this time instead of nails. Maybe tape cardboard all the way around it so they think it is a regular cardboard box. Then put fragile stickers all over it and insure it for $1000. Ship it USPS, Fed Ex, DHL or whoever else has not screwed you around yet. USPS will ship up to 75 pounds. How much does the crate weigh?

112 pounds Bill-wet.UPS says if it under 120 pounds it is ok for domestic shipping-but I am alittle hesitant to use them again, so I'll try FED EX instead I know Hoser has mentioned they arent the best either in some cases, but I am totally afraid of the UPS brown van these days!!!!
Thanks for the update on the tops Bill, I apprec it greatly, have a good tim e up there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:26 am 

112 pounds could potentially be part of the problem. Somewhere during the shipping process the 112 pound crate was probably handled by a vegetarian tree hugging wimp that couldn't lift 50 pounds, and he/she/it dropped it while they were pretending to be a man. Hopefully they dropped it on their freakin toe and are now out hopping around on one leg looking for a new job over at the flower factory.

Now you made me curious. How much does the empty crate weigh (with no motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )))? You could be border line overkill on the crate. If the crate weighs more than the Engine, maybe consider a revision of the crate. Like 1/4" plywood and 2x2 framing instead of 1/2" plywood and 2x4's. Sometimes less is more and you could reinforce with wood glue and screws instead of nails? Any heavy box will take some damage during shipping because the morons that handle them just don't care, but one look at your crate it was obvious somebody dropped it and didn't want to own up to it, so they just sent it on down the line.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:31 am 

Bill.. wrote:
112 pounds could potentially be part of the problem. Somewhere during the shipping process the 112 pound crate was probably handled by a vegetarian tree hugging wimp that couldn't lift 50 pounds, and he/she/it dropped it while they were pretending to be a man. Hopefully they dropped it on their freakin toe and are now out hopping around on one leg looking for a new job over at the flower factory.

Now you made me curious. How much does the empty crate weigh (with no motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )))? You could be border line overkill on the crate. If the crate weighs more than the Engine, maybe consider a revision of the crate. Like 1/4" plywood and 2x2 framing instead of 1/2" plywood and 2x4's. Sometimes less is more and you could reinforce with wood glue and screws instead of nails? Any heavy box will take some damage during shipping because the morons that handle them just don't care, but one look at your crate it was obvious somebody dropped it and didn't want to own up to it, so they just sent it on down the line.

I think a handle would help at least they have something to grab onto,,,,so they can throw it further :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:33 am 

I could wiegh it, I would imagine it is 5-8 pounds perhaps?It might be a option to use a cardboard based box, double it, and go from there at the present stage,I have shipped motors before like that and had no issues, I prefer the crate, but after this nightmare I was thinking of the weight of it, it seemd to be the devil at the UPS hub I went to last night-I bet ya your right, nobody wants to lift that thing due to the weight so dropping it is easier, screw the shipper right?I too hope the guy/girls toe are broken if they dropped it, they caused me a ton of stress and now I am behind a week already on the rebuild/restore process thanks to those guys.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next