Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
Have you got a high back seat to put in this? I don't like the bar behind my head like that... it will crack your noggin for sure in a spill...

Actually, no I don't currently.I felt a helmet may hit the bar but with the head net there I do not think it is a issue.At least to me it isn't.That's why I wear a helmet!

ever thump your head with a helmet on??? It has rung my bell getting out of the ODY when I first got it lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:42 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
Have you got a high back seat to put in this? I don't like the bar behind my head like that... it will crack your noggin for sure in a spill...

Actually, no I don't currently.I felt a helmet may hit the bar but with the head net there I do not think it is a issue.At least to me it isn't.That's why I wear a helmet!

ever thump your head with a helmet on??? It has rung my bell getting out of the ODY when I first got it lol

Sure have many times,the bar isn't going to effect me that much.I wear a horse collar as well when I ride so my upper neck area is stiff from that and also prevents me from leaning back.I used to race the WERA and AMA series 750 super stock and 600 open classes, so I have had my share of 150 mph wrecks into hay bales and associated other track obstacles.My bell rings likeTHE AC/DC song HELLS BELLS.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:44 pm 

ok I just wanted to point that out, another set of eys kinda thing! I sometimes worry to much about you LOL

Mudbogger wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Sure have many times,the bar isn't going to effect me that much.I wear a horse collar as well when I ride so my upper neck area is stiff from that and also prevents me from leaning back.I used to race the WERA and AMA series 750 super stock and 600 open classes, so I have had my share of 150 mph wrecks into hay bales and associated other track obstacles.My bell rings likeTHE AC/DC song HELLS BELLS.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:58 pm 

ha-wish my wife felt the same way! !! :-)
thanks friend!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:53 am 

Looks pretty darn cool. On the front wheel pic the offset looks pretty aggressive. Wasn't sure if there mock up tire and wheels. Did some one paint those trx spindles or are they 250 r. The brake line conversion looks really nice. If you have not listed parts for conversion would you or is it linked here. I may have missed it. Keep up the nice work very enjoyable.

On a separate issue me not being a welding expert. Is it normal for the discoloration around the beads of the welds.
Just curious, my welding is not even a rod burner statis. Just wondering if it was a by product of the gas used for welding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 pm 

Still doing fab on the frame on this project, I have been working a lot lately.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 am 

Picked the ride back up today from my fab guy, I have been working so much I have not had anytime to work on this, but this weekend I hope to get it to a rolling chassis for pictures.The front end is completed, I need to install rear arms, shocks etc for a better view of the front end in regards to alignment.I am still waiting on the wire harness for the ride,which I am in no rush for at all.Assembly of all parts will be done prior to powder coating,I have trans, rear axles, etc all waiting for dry fit, and the brackets for the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) etc have all been done in silver chrome, the ride will be a purple frame with silver accents like my wife's old 350, should look really cool indeed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:45 am 

Some of it looks just like some surface rust, but it pretty much looks the sane when I use my mig.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:37 pm 

Mud,
I don't know if you are still considering cv's on the rear, I have seen a couple in Australia with this conversion, I asked a guy who has converted a couple this is what he had to say:
The cv's are made up from a few different parts, the cups come from a Subaru, the shafts welded onto the cups can be anything, the shafts going through the wheels are the standard FL350 shafts, cut and then welded onto cups, and on it goes. there isn't any strict formulae, it can be anything, but just get something with a bit of plunge in the cv - Subaru has that sort of plunge. you can take all of the parts to an engineering workshop and get them to lathe and weld the various parts together.
You need to make a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the axle carrier and weld another bracket to the frame for a rear tie rod just like the pilot has.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 pm 

Aussie Hoon wrote:
Mud,
I don't know if you are still considering cv's on the rear, I have seen a couple in Australia with this conversion, I asked a guy who has converted a couple this is what he had to say:
The cv's are made up from a few different parts, the cups come from a Subaru, the shafts welded onto the cups can be anything, the shafts going through the wheels are the standard FL350 shafts, cut and then welded onto cups, and on it goes. there isn't any strict formulae, it can be anything, but just get something with a bit of plunge in the cv - Subaru has that sort of plunge. you can take all of the parts to an engineering workshop and get them to lathe and weld the various parts together.
You need to make a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the axle carrier and weld another bracket to the frame for a rear tie rod just like the pilot has.

Have any pictures by chance of this conversion, I am open to investigating it for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:25 pm 

Here you go, this one also has the upper tie rod relocated for longer travel,the stock tank wont fit with this mod, these are the best pictures I could get a hold of. Also seen this mod that uses stock upper tie rod

Attachments:
fl350 cv1.JPG [85.5 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
fl350 cv2.JPG [85.59 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
fl350 cv3.JPG
fl350 cv3.JPG [ 125.39 KiB | Viewed 4362 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:24 pm 

Have put this project on hold for months. I will be getting back into as soon. The Tecates and Pilots have stalled it pretty good but I am sick of looking at it in the garage laying here. Time for some workhorses and a grinding wheel.

Attachments:
File comment: Just collecting dust
031.jpg
031.jpg [ 569.5 KiB | Viewed 4278 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:44 pm 

Started back into this today breifly. I pulled it off the ground and under workhorses. I fitted the rear suspension arms, bearing carriers, shocks onto it as well as fitted the trans into the frame as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:38 pm 

Found a nice seat today for the project today. I also looked into hardware for mounting the Engine and trans. I have a trans here in perfect shape, the mounting hardware is all ready to go. The frame is in roller form currently but still needs the harness to be run and some minor add-ons to the harness as per SCPILOT. I was thinking of selling this project to a member recently, but have decided not too after some long thought. I do apologize to him and hope there is no hard feelings. I am also awaiting FATCAT Engine to install in this project.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:42 pm 

Received the Engine, radiator and coolant lines from Fatcat for this project the other day. I will proceed with the installation of the trans and Engine in the coming week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:51 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Received the Engine, radiator and coolant lines from Fatcat for this project the other day. I will proceed with the installation of the trans and Engine in the coming week.

Well, it has been 2 years and this project has just sat in one of my garages. I just recently sold the property so the garage has to be emptied. I am going to start on this project again in the coming weeks as my 500 PILOT is stalled at Dave Cos for over a year due to my accident and I have the itch to work on something here. I also still wish to investigate going to a cv style rear drive as previously discussed in the thread, so much I went to my fab guy and cv shaft distributor looking for options for a 350 trannny this week. It still has the Kawonda front end on the frame, it is not tightened down, and this also has the Pilot front wheel conversion and pilot wire harness kit that scpilot fabricated for his sons ride back in the day. That is a nice set up he did.
I have for this project the Engine I bought from atcdude back some years ago with his complete rad set up, although currently I have a Pilot rad fabbed into the 350 frame.The Engine is a rebuild from Hoser so years ago that atcdude ran for a limited time-I also have so many powdercoated items like rear arms, brackets, fuel cells, etc etc I may try to use them up as they have accumulated here over the years and probably should go.
More to come as we progress into the new year!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:56 am 

Hey mud this has a diagram of the axles I'm going to use. They were about $100 each. I contacted American CV and they sent me the spec sheet. I can also post a part # if that would be helpful. Or any other specs requested
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14265&start=100

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:08 pm 

wow thanks, did you have that shaft made up for the trans by chance? If so happy with the product, can they make any more perhaps?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:46 pm 

The shaft I made myself. It was very time consuming. I will share any specs on the shaft as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:56 pm 

jknarfal wrote:
The shaft I made myself. It was very time consuming. I will share any specs on the shaft as well.
Wow, thank you. Have you used the set up to date and if so how did it perform? I have always wanted to go with a CV style shaft and this is the best opportunity to do so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:04 am 

Nope not yet. I hope to soon but I keep finding reasons to spend more money on other parts. It's definitely a long term project.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:55 am 

jknarfal wrote:
Hey mud this has a diagram of the axles I'm going to use. They were about $100 each. I contacted American CV and they sent me the spec sheet. I can also post a part # if that would be helpful. Or any other specs requested
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14265&start=100

Hey did you have the part numbers available please? Going to call them on Monday! Also could I ask you for any spreadsheet or specs you have for the machining of that shaft-I wish to seek a machine shop to make one or 2 for me for this project. Thank you very much!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:14 pm 

ATV-po-8-314 is the part number on the box. I purchased them from American cv. The image listed on my build thread is the SPEC sheet they sent me. I just converted it from metric to standard. I'll have to do some looking for the shaft diagram I made up. I had taken it to several machine shops and all of them wanted over $1000 to build the shaft. That's why I decided to try it myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:51 pm 

Thanks, picked up the project today from garage, with a pile of parts most importantly the trans. Will split it during the week to get that shaft out in case I hear back from machine shop friend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:13 pm 

Ok Update on this, I have a shaft being made to convert the trans from the current u joint axles to CV like a Pilot-thanks to jknarfal- and since this project has not sold to date I am going to build it myself after all. I took a look at the Engine I have here which was purchased from atcdude back in the day-the piston has a touch of wear on the lower skirt but otherwise the jug and bore look clean, top of piston has a good wash pattern on it I SEE NO reason not to run it as it-and since I have a ton of 350 stuff still, it will come to the garage as soon as I get a customer pilot I have been working on out, onto jack stands and I will begin installing the wire harness from scpilots conversion of his sons 350 to the Pilot electronics/steering wheel. I have sent a fuel cell to my fab guy to install a Pilot fuel sensor for the instrument light on the wheel.
I have a trans here waiting for the shaft, I am in no rush as it take many hrs to mill these shafts. I will start the process of getting the electronics set up prior to anything else. I will be needing some help as I have not done a 350 in years!
I must now decide on the following:
I have a complete rad set up from atcdude that was run with this Engine, problem is I have a pilot rad already mounted on the frame, should I go with the pilot rad since I will have a wire harness already set up for it?Or omit it and run the set up I purchased with the Engine, which is a Goldwing based set up. It is new and worked perfect prior to removal for sale.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next