Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:57 pm 

Was surfing the ebay world and stumbled upon a 250 trx locally,always wanted 1 for a spare ride in the PA trails- seller wanted 3500 got it for way less. Supposedly had fresh rebuild, new seals, piston, total rebuild with recepits, some extras on it as well. Color is red with nerfs, ITP HOLESHOTS, lonestar a-arms, etc etc. Will pick up this week if all goes as planned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:24 pm 

you know we are going to need pics..congrats on the purchase

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:54 pm 

The pictures he provided are poor to say the least. I'll post soon as I can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:23 pm 

Pictures of the ride, going to get it on Saturday

Attachments:
TRX 250.jpg
TRX 250.jpg [ 62.02 KiB | Viewed 12305 times ]
imagejpeg_2.jpg
imagejpeg_2.jpg [ 42.64 KiB | Viewed 12304 times ]
TRX 250 2.jpg
TRX 250 2.jpg [ 61.73 KiB | Viewed 12304 times ]
imagejpeg_2(1).jpg
imagejpeg_2(1).jpg [ 77.91 KiB | Viewed 12304 times ]
imagejpeg_2(2).jpg
imagejpeg_2(2).jpg [ 81.37 KiB | Viewed 12302 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:44 pm 

Nice, you will like it .

I see it has the "your going to get muddy" front fenders already installed, price people pay to look cool amazes me heck I was looking for fender extensions when I bought mine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 pm 

Yeah to be honest I would like to replace them with some form of fender. I am not well versed on these trx's do they come stock with fenders? Are the aftermarket 1's made with a fender?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:40 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Yeah to be honest I would like to replace them with some form of fender. I am not well versed on these trx's do they come stock with fenders? Are the aftermarket 1's made with a fender?

I really don't know whats available factory they were full fenders like you see on the 400EX I have seen people install 400EX plastic on the TRX because the 400EX OEM plastic is so cheap research it.

Not sure whats available for the TRX in after market any more just make sure you don't buy the "trimmed" type fenders or you will end up with the same shit.

Fullbore has them but you have to special order they only stock mud in your face "race cut"
http://www.fullboreinnovations.com/inde ... &Itemid=10 please allow 6-8 weeks for production.

Smile the first time you ride that quad in the wet grass and turn the front wheels left or right you will be getting a face full of water ever understand why people like that, be ok on the dunes that never see rain.

Let us know what you find I need some for my TRX

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:58 pm 

Please tell me those pics were taken in a kitchen and not a garage!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Please tell me those pics were taken in a kitchen and not a garage!

Your garage don't look like that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:09 pm 

those pictures are from the seller actual garage. Big Italian family he has. The whole thing is tiled and they use it for parties and such. I had to take a double take when I entered it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:55 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
those pictures are from the seller actual garage. Big Italian family he has. The whole thing is tiled and they use it for parties and such. I had to take a double take when I entered it!

They must have finished the garage instead of the basement?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:05 pm 

they park the cars in it if you can believe it. I think they used it for a elderly member of the family that has since passed---but I was not going to ask for sure. There were signs of an elderly person/s living there, look at the pictures and you;ll see what I mean. Other then that the dam garage looked like a full fledged kitchen!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:06 pm 

Ok, got the time today and went over the ride.Seller was a really nice guy, and he tryed to give me as much information as he could.
First things first-engine. The previous owner had Nacs rebuild the bottom end in the last year. I noticed the seal for the gear shifter has rtv all over it, that needs replacing as well as the chain side case has damage from the chain. They both are not leaking but I need to fix this. Compression check tomorrow, had no time today. It starts right up on first kick, smell like race fuel as well.
Intakes, head, carb all in good shape.Has a reed spacer plate installed. Exhaust fine. I'll post more on the Engine in the coming weeks, but I am sure I am going to tear it down and replace everything on it. Mabye see if Hoser wants a shot at at a full CSI on it even if he can find the time! I have a CP Industries jug ordered for this Engine, but I am NOT going to install and prefer some mild porting with mapping on it for this bore. Since piston size and bore is unknown, I need to tear it down. Just me.
Now the bad:
front left bottom a arm, gone, no ball joint left in it-it is done.Aftermarket or stock replacements?
sperical bearings right top a arm gone. Needs replacement.
wheel bearings both sides gone, spent. Need replacing.
Missing CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) rubber hold down as well as regulator rubber. Need to purchase
frame looks to have been welded on the top hoops by steering stem. Dunno if this is normal for these to crack in area?
Front plastics were just laying on the quad, I need most to all of the grommets and mounts for them
Rear hubs splines are worn and the hub itself wobbles both side
Sprockets and chain need replacing
front tires shot
handlebars,grips, levers, and stock OEM on/off switch junk, need replacing
rear taillight missing completely(I prefer to use them just a personal thing here)
air box lid has been modified for more air, I dislike this and too me is not needed
Airbox clips missing to hold lid onto box
The top steering stem bracket has a little slop in it back and forth. Is this normal, it is very very slight.

Now, is there a good stock replacement kit for the a arms on the market now? Also steering stems and anti vibe what the options?
Handlebars, grips? Options used by members here would be appreciated! If we have any members with experience on these rides?
I'm going to buy new rims and tires, I see bead locks all over the board here, most guys buying Hipers?OMF'S
I can probably purchase the rubber grommets and such for the plastics from Service Honda direct, or cheap cycleparts.com or is this OEM rubbers discontinued?
I took detailed pictures on my new phone but I cannot download the things for some reason, if and when I do I will show the welded area on the top hoops and the damaged areas I have just mentioned.
I appreciate your opinions on this!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 am 

For my non-FL 2-stroke stuff, I always hang out at everything2stroke.com. Plenty of 250R people there. And I have to guess that the 250R crowd has its own site or few, too.

Nobody ever seems to sell anything that's maintained except for me! lol Most of the time, toys get sold because they're wore out and need work (aka: cash investment). Again...why I like to buy stuff non-running and/or in a zillion pieces where the flaws are exposed.

Also, stuff can look REALLY good in pictures online. Quick story: My buddy and I learned this lesson HARD when we bought a '79 MCI 40' coach for $11k SIGHT UNSEEN except for the Yakaz pics, and we had it delivered/imported form Toronto, CAN. It was a maaaaaaaaajor POS and had holes in the air-bag supports that you could fit your head into. Muffler had an 18" hole in it. Rear passenger airbags were replaced with bags that were 2" taller than the driver-side, so she listed over like 6-7" at the body. Tag axles were frozen solid. Diesel tank had a gallon-per-day leak. Engine was advertised as being a turbo-diesel, when it was really just a N/A 2-poke diesel with 1,061,000 miles. The ad pic was of a totally different Engine! Took the interior skins off and 1/3 of a wall's internal structure was rusted BAD (leaky window seals). Tranny hoses leaked like a siv. Tranny pan had a 3" deep dent in it. Windshield cracked and leaking. Nothing about the ad was true except that the bus was colored white. LOL!! Just awful!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 pm 

Some more pictures of the ride and issues.
First the top hoops where the stem balancer rests has some issues, it appears it was cracked and welded poorly.

Attachment:
20120708_130111.jpg
20120708_130111.jpg [ 63.04 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

Attachment:
20120708_130216.jpg
20120708_130216.jpg [ 65.82 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

I am missing numerous mounts for the front plastic, it was just laying on the quad. The fuel cell as well is missing all of the rubber straps and mounts:

Attachment:
20120708_130626.jpg
20120708_130626.jpg [ 48.28 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

Left front bottom a arm ball joint is gone:

Attachment:
20120708_130239.jpg
20120708_130239.jpg [ 43.92 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

As we all see with the 250r 3 wheeler or 4, side case damage by the chain is as common as apple pie!

Attachment:
20120708_130404.jpg
20120708_130404.jpg [ 44.41 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

Right side top and bottom a arms are bent.
Both sides need seals and wheel bearings they are loose loose loose!!

Left side case gear selector shaft seal is leaking, so they RTV'd it to ???

Attachment:
20120708_130558.jpg
20120708_130558.jpg [ 44.9 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

Attachments:
20120708_130111 (Medium).jpg
20120708_130111 (Medium).jpg [ 62.12 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:18 pm 

More. I have been trolling the trx boards and it seems on every board they cut the air box lid for more air to help with jetting on larger carbs. I dunno why but as luck would have it mine is cut out as well and missing a clip off the airbox:

Attachment:
20120708_130149.jpg
20120708_130149.jpg [ 62.31 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

And this is what you get from that modification:

Attachment:
20120708_130159.jpg
20120708_130159.jpg [ 56.41 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

Notice this issue? I have a feeling that the updated clutch assembly has been installed in this Engine. Also the clutch feels burnt and worn, it will need to be inspected.

Attachment:
20120708_130452.jpg
20120708_130452.jpg [ 55.51 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:23 pm 

Hoser would you like to CSI this Engine for me by chance?

Attachments:
20120708_130339.jpg
20120708_130339.jpg [ 42.4 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]
20120708_130314.jpg
20120708_130314.jpg [ 52.68 KiB | Viewed 12218 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 am 

I can CSI the Engine for you if you like you already have a new clutch basket here and I think a complete Honda Engine gasket kit in your box of parts if needed.

Check the clutch cable lever etc be 100% sure that is working not binding or dragging if it does the clutch will not feel right, remove the oil fill plug look in the trans with a light see the clutch basket lot of wear on clutch plates where they contact the basket when they get grooves worn in they will catch on the basket.

Shifting in all gears feels ok don't pop out of gear and no miss shifts?

I would not worry too much a bout the frame repair if it broke was repaired then has not broke again must of been a good repair just ugly, this repair is hidden? If your going to strip the frame down that would be a good time to smooth out the welds and inspect them if in doubt take it to your local weld guy have him go over the welds again should be a fast cheap easy repair.

If you remember my TRX came with chrome stock width or maybe even stock arms chromed have to look, anyways I was going to remove the chrome arms and install stock TRX arms, I bought the stock TRX arms just never swapped them out now might be a good time to swap them sell you the chrome arms? Only reason why I was going to swap the out was I don't need or like chrome I don't have the time required to maintain chrome so it don't rust sooner or later these will rust kind of a shame to see them go to waste, I wanted to just install painted OEM arms and not have to worry about protecting chrome, the bushings and ball joints are in perfect condition, last I looked no rust on the chrome.

Stock air box suffers from a small opening plenty of air for a stock Engine modified engines can benefit from more opening area, thanks to all the ATV magazines that popularized the bastard method of air box mod drilling holes like you see because out of control popular, I seen it countless times guys read it in a national magazine then without thought go do it to their machines, what the magazines NEVER tell you is the down side to mods like these, seen many engines meet a early costly death because they sucked dirt, water, mud in the holes.

Their is a place for that modification and its not for the type of riding you do, you could make it work for you and where you ride first you need to add a baffle inside the box that diverts the air, water, mud over and around your filter so when you go splashing through a huge water hole water is directed around the filter and to the bottom of the box no into the Engine, you could also incorporate a UNI filter foam inside the box too help filter out some of the dust.

Seems I list interest in all the mods I was going to do to my TRX LMAO don't ride it enough to justify the time and it runs really great as is, I installed a new Honda crank, bearings, gaskets, seals, bought that new take off top end and installed, went back to the stock pipe, FMF silencer, found all the unmolested intake tract parts and installed, lots of room for improvement on the intake tract of the TRX that does not sacrifice reliability. .

Gotta round up all my TRX info and pics I put a lot of work into my TRX to make it rock solid reliable for many years to come, basically its all back to stock, I have about 5 TRX cylinders I rounded up so I could hoserize them then test just never got around to doing it, want Speedchaser to make me a cool head first then I want to start trying different top ends, first will be a 295cc up the compression ratio where it still runs safe on pump gas, no other real mods, stock pipe, stock carb, intake reeds etc. just bigger bore and mod the ports to enhance the bottom end and mid-range no more over rev just a short shifting torque machine you can lug around without shifting every 15'.

When I hit the lotto I will be building a stroked really big bore that Calvin offers :-) complete with a hand formed pipe custom tailored exactly for my setup. 538cc's should about do it http://www.cpindinc.com/pub/part_list?manufacturer=2

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:00 pm 

I like that site! A while back I ran across it and was reading a little bit about the huge big bores. From my reading I came to the conclusion that the transmissions seem to be prone to failure. Are there ways of correcting this? I love the idea but it sure would suck to build all that power to have a live grenade. What kind of power do you think the sabertooth could put out?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:52 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
I like that site! A while back I ran across it and was reading a little bit about the huge big bores. From my reading I came to the conclusion that the transmissions seem to be prone to failure. Are there ways of correcting this? I love the idea but it sure would suck to build all that power to have a live grenade. What kind of power do you think the sabertooth could put out?

Search around the web see if you can find some dyno sheets I am sure someone has had their Sabertooth ported and put on the dyno I recall seeing more than one talking about 100+ HP reliably with the 538cc top end and over 9000 RPM I know if I had a CR500 Pilot Engine and was using it for racing I would have ordered one of the sabertooth top ends long ago I would not be wasting time with the Honda CR500 top end.

No doubt the guys having trans problems are the hole shot junkies and straight line shooters that only ride to impress people by short WOT (Wide Open Throttle) burst and roosting others to impress they are not daily drivers if I am wrong please let me know, stock trans is plenty strong but was never designed to be hole shot with 3x stock power and 2x the traction 1000 times a weekend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 pm 

Thanks, I think your making a good assumption on the drag racing. The one I remember having all the problems was drag racing it. The 538 would make a great swap. I've been waiting to see the CPI liger top end put on a pilot. I'd like to see how that worked out. Bet it'd be a bad monkey!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:23 pm 

I have ordered a full gusset kit for the frame which from my reading seems to be a huge upgrade as these frames are prone to cracks. I do intend to strip the trx down just to check everything out anyway.
I will try to pull the Engine this weekend Hoser, I will send it over to you if that's ok? I need to start a parts list for this thing and it seems it is going to be expensive to say the least. I really do not want to install any type of long travel a arm kit on it, but I do want to upgrade the steering stem, handlebars,electrical controls just to name a few in the front end area.
I also need to upgrade the rear axle, front tires, the list is endless currently. I do not need bling, it is a rider. I need to make sure it is in 100% perfect shape.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 am 

Check the clutch basket for wear, too. On the main basket...look at the "fingers" where the clutch plates ride. The fingers get grooved and make the clutch stick. If the basket is shot but the hub and pressure plate are good, get a Hinson basket. Best price for 'em is from Honda East of Toledo (talk to Jason), http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com" .".." ."...

A-arm bushings (usually needle bearings) are probably shot, as well as the swing arm pivot bushings. If they are shot and haven't been serviced, they're likely frozen and a BEAR to remove. I make my replacements out of a $10 stick of Delrin.

Bad weld...what bad weld? I can't see it b'c they painted it. LOL!

With the RTV seal and some interesting fixes, you will probably find a few stripped case threads and mis-matched bolts. Leak-test that Engine ASAP, or else tear 'er down.

Chain whack is common (thanks to many a slacker owners who don't want to spend $40 on a new chain). Get a nice billet case saver bracket, or machine one yourself.

Check the wiring for "tape nests", which generally house terrible connections.

That LRD pipe is nice. Wheels/tires nice. Fenders and jazzy seat nice. Nerf bars nice. With a few hundred bucks, she'll be a good runner. Good thing is there's a zillion parts available for 'em, but bad news is that Honda may have d'cont'd a lot already.

Be careful...once you buy one you're prone to buy more. That's how I ended up with 4 LT500R's! They're like Pringles!! LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:53 am 

Here is the bad clutch thing Mudbogger found this on his last ATC Engine adventure http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5358

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 am 

These parts are already here in your sparer parts box.

The gasket kit was sent to me by accident for a Pilot Engine rebuild, the clutch basket was sent for the last ATC Engine build but you sent two baskets think second was for that other "parts Engine" you shipped that came with the 3 wheeler you bought the cases was split because something in the trans broke and ventilated the cases, not much in that Engine useful for parts.

Attachments:
DSCN0393.jpg
DSCN0393.jpg [ 60.77 KiB | Viewed 12146 times ]
DSCN0395.jpg
DSCN0395.jpg [ 64.42 KiB | Viewed 12146 times ]
 Profile E-mail