Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NY Pilot project
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:48 am 

Did a 20 minute session yesterday at friends with the Pilot. I worked on jetting and air/fuel mixture for a spell, got it pretty spot on. It still blubbers just a touch of the line, but I expect that due to just wear on the slide and throat of this particular carb. Honestly the blubbering is so slight I might just be exaggerating a touch. Re torqued the clutch,trans to motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounts,axles nuts,lugs and double checked all air intake clamps.
Also, I am running a 102c clutch on this motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). You can definitely feel the difference between the Powerbloc to 102c! I also think the 102c is far louder at idle then the Powerbloc. I am currently running a white spring in this which is 4200 rpm engage, it is way to high for trail riding but when it hooks up man oh man the launch is unreal! I can imagine top end it must pull like a bitch. I will try a lower spring as I go along here.
I do agree with the masses and say the clutch is going to be a real bitch to get tuned for sure. Powerbloc seem far easier with the pucks.
Now-this is 1 of my first Paul Tuner Fat Boy silencers I have used and I LOVE LOVE IT! Fitment issues were 0-the sound of it in my opinion is fantastic and the perfomance it gave me over a ATVR was noticeable. I would love to install another in fact in the CA pilot.
Second picture is the finished Pilot, other then a couple add-ons like front bumper from Speed and ATVR rear skid.Dumb stuff.

Attachments:
NY motor installed 031.jpg
NY motor installed 031.jpg [ 49.28 KiB | Viewed 5321 times ]
NY motor installed 030.jpg
NY motor installed 030.jpg [ 55.19 KiB | Viewed 5321 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:56 pm 

Speed bumper arrived today, too cold to paint it but hopefully over the weekend I can get it done. Also mounted new 23x7x10 489 Carlises on the front rims.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 pm 

That Pilot is really looking good Mud, Nice work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:27 pm 

Thank you very much. It runs as well as it looks too. I really like the sound of the Paul Turner full exhaust.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:22 pm 

Took the Pilot out today for a ride in Central PA. Engine ran strong TILL THE VERY END OF THE TRIP AND then it went poofkaboom, front end bottoms out constantly need to upgrade shocks ASAP. I will CSI what went wrong on this one, I did plug chops prior to riding it and the plug was fine. More to come. Might do a CSI thread on this.
Full documentation is here for this Engine poofkaboom:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9650

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:25 pm 

Sent a jug off another Engine to Hoser for a CSI. When it gets back I will install on this Engine.
See thread here for the jug and boring:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9716

More to come in the week ahead!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:07 am 

Jug bored to 81mm with fresh Wiseco piston, bearing. Current in transit to me, will be taking Engine out to make sure the bottom end has no leaks. I prefer to have the Engine on the bench when doing a air leak test. Just my way of doing things.More to come.This jug is an ATVR jug that came off my CA Pilot, I installed a fresh sleeved spare jug on that Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:46 am 

Has some time before family coming over to wreck my Sunday so I decided to get some work in on this project. I first started by taking the Engine out, I want to air leak test it again and in my case find it much easier to do so on the bench. Second, I am also thinking of going back to a 39 mm PWK over the stock which I put in here with the Engine. Problem with this:
got to remove the brand new OEM throttle cable and install a used but good cable that fit the 39 pwk carb. Kind of a pain and counter productive. Second, is the actual expanding of the intakes. Pain but worth it in the end. Plus wife gets pissed when I do it on the stove inside the house(hehehe). Main issue, single air inlet currently. I'll need to take this down to friends fab shop and have that completed as I do not weld, time is an issue with my work schedule and I just have no clue as too when I can accomplish this. Do I bite the bullet and just leave the stock carb on, or go for it while it is apart and just do it now!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:25 pm 

Purchased the following items for this Pilot today:
ATVR econoline hood
ATVR rear skid plate
ATVR full skid plate
Equiis tach(SEE CA Pilot thread)
Crow Enterprises hand restraints

Will install these items in the coming weeks as they come in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:11 pm 

Jug arrived yesterday here FINALLY!! I was getting nervous but the USPS is slower then the turtle but as in the old fable the turtle won the race and so did I with a fresh bored 81mm ATVR jug from Hoser with piston. I will install, check squish with SPEED head and air leak test during the week. Installation on EQUIIS tach will be also incorporated with this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:32 pm 

measurements for the new Hoserized top end:

ring gap is .014mm / 0.35 inches

Piston to wall clearances are:
piston 3.184 inches
bore 3.177 inches
total 0.007 clearance using a 81mm Wiseco Hoserized new Piston.
Speed chased head going on top.
Pictures of Hoserized Piston coming

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:41 pm 

Top end assemblied, forgot to take picture of piston sorry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 pm 

Mudbogger,
Can I ask how you like those rear shocks? How would you say they compare to Works? Which do you think are a better choice on a stock Pilot? Do you remember where you got them and their part #.
Thanks in advance,
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:13 pm 

rarerat wrote:
Mudbogger,
Can I ask how you like those rear shocks? How would you say they compare to Works? Which do you think are a better choice on a stock Pilot? Do you remember where you got them and their part #.
Thanks in advance,
Nick

I love them. I prefer them over WORKS. If you get the DC brackets I recommend them highly. Just set them up for your weight, riding terrian and such.They have several ratios, 60/40 is what I got but I will next time get them set up with a touch more dampening in them.
I have purchased 3 sets so far-2 sets from these folks which were top notch:

http://off-roadproducts.com/2_0_air_shock.html

Got my last set off Ebay- seller was offroadwarehouse out of san diego.
Part # 980-02-16A 8.5 INCH TRAVEL 207.00 each.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:49 pm 

Thank you sir.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:06 pm 

Installed SPEED Head last night, let it sit overnight. Performed air leak test today, base gasket on jug was leaking right at where the cases meet, I had to pull the jug off again and this time put a dab of Hondabond on both sides of the cases where they meet befoe installing the jug.
I also expanded the stock OEM intake to accept the new 39 mm PWK carb today. As well I installed a newer used throttle cable to fit the carb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 pm 

Again, after letting the Engine sit overnight air leak tested it this morning. Now the base gasket is leaking in the rear side of the jug by where the cases meet. I am frigin mad at myself for rushing here to seal the Engine up and not taking my time, I was speaking to Hoser in the chatroom after I had torqued the jug down and Hoser asked me if I had put a dab of Hondabond on both front and rear on the area in question and I had not, only the front! It killed me when he mentioned it, and sure as the sun comes up, the dame thing leaked on the rear section today. So, I took the jug off, cleaned it, installed new gasket and put a dab of Hondbond FRONT and REAR where the cases meet, If it does not seal this time I am going to have a child!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:58 pm 

Engine sealed up on base gasket, held 6 psi for over 45 minutes. I installed Speed head squish was.047. Engine is in the Pilot, awaiting some minor parts for heat cycles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 am 

Installed Equiis tach and ATVR hood last night on the Pilot. Still waiting to heat
Cycle the Engine , fill fluids and such. I have no room in the garage so the pilot is on it,s end.. The fluids will leak out doing this which is not going to happen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:14 pm 

Heat cycled the Engine today 4 times, rechecked the torque values on the head, topped off fluids and heat cycled again. 1 THING I hate about the 102c clutch is the noise it makes, it sounds like your going to throw a rod or have no oil in the balancer-I hate it!!! Will heat cycle again for a spell during the week and take some pictures for you fellas!
I am not going to jet this Engine jsut yet-I still need to take it to the fab shop for a dual air inlet bracket. Currently it has a stock single inlet. I WOULD USE MY NORMAL BRACKET which I posted pictures of previously but in this case with the rad relocation I cannot use it so I need to get some brackets fabbed under the radiator towards the airbox itself. We will tackle these after the PPE steering is completed this week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:05 pm 

Ordered 2 K&N RU-0620 pre filters from K&N tonight for this ride. After my fab guy gets the PPE completed I will be bringing this Pilot down to him for a dual air inlet to be made for it. The current location of the rad makes it impossible to use my 'patent pending" dual air inlet bracket.
More to come!
I will be doing the mod to the stock air box lid for the inlets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:29 pm 

update on this project. I currently have a 102c Comet clutch with white spring installed. I have to be honest I hate this clutch for 1 sole reason, the noise it makes at idle drives me nuts, I almost each and every time run over to it and shut it down due to the NOISE IT CREATES. It sounds like a total and complete poofkaboom on my rod! I hate it!!! I ordered a new powerbloc clutch for it and will send the 102c to Hoser.I know this is stupid but it drives me nuts and I have experimented with springs and I just do not like the shifting-nothing.
I am done worrying each and every time the thing sits at an idle sounding like it has a terrible rod knock.IT IS OVER for this clutch and me.
After the PPE is completed at my fab guys shop this ride will replace it for a dual air inlet mod. More to come.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 am 

Took the Pilot for a ride yesterday with the fresh top end. I had heat cycled it already here at the house so it was time for a slow ride to make sure break in was proper. I have NOT had time to get the dual air inlet system fabbed on this ride so I am using a single inlet,which did not work out at all.The thing ran like shit, and I had to eventually take the air box lid off to get it to even run 1/2 decently. I had a 182 main, needle on 4th groove at the start, ended up going up and down the spectrum with mains, and needle settings and it never ran good until I used a 180 main, needle on 2nd groove, but the plug came back too lean in my book. I gave up on it til I get the dual inlets on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 am 

Also had an issue with cooling fan, it did not cycle at all, so I need to see if the sensors are both bad, or just 1. The temp light on the steering wheel never came on either, now if you remember this Pilot had the fan switch wired directly on at the ignition switch when purchased and I had too replace the entire harness when all was said and done, so my thinking is it was wired due to a bad temp sensor. I'll have to drain the coolant and take the sensor out, I do have replacements for both temp light and fan switch here handy, but I might like to check these both out to see in fact which one is bad. Always a challenge!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:14 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Also had an issue with cooling fan, it did not cycle at all, so I need to see if the sensors are both bad, or just 1. The temp light on the steering wheel never came on either, now if you remember this Pilot had the fan switch wired directly on at the ignition switch when purchased and I had too replace the entire harness when all was said and done, so my thinking is it was wired due to a bad temp sensor. I'll have to drain the coolant and take the sensor out, I do have replacements for both temp light and fan switch here handy, but I might like to check these both out to see in fact which one is bad. Always a challenge!!!

Check the manual think they show a test for these I have verified they will work by putting them into boiling water and using a test light to make sure they will open and close.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next