Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 pm 

new to my stable is a 2000 formula cross pictures and story about this purchase in the coming days

Attachments:
Drakart.jpg
Drakart.jpg [ 71.57 KiB | Viewed 7861 times ]
Drakart 2.jpg
Drakart 2.jpg [ 73.34 KiB | Viewed 7861 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:10 pm 

Congrats Mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... you deserve it! Cannot wait to see the pics.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:25 pm 

Good choice Mudd,congrats.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm 

Thank you guys. I am really looking forward to this unit as I have never had a ride like it and the 583 rotax Engine seems like a pretty simple choice for repairs and such. Any idea on where I can access information on this unit in particular? I know we have several owners here correct?
This unit was purchased from Sunblock so the Drak is known to some here from what I have read.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:55 pm 

Sure looks cool. I dig the yellow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:48 am 

This Drakart secured by ADT

In the 2nd pic, the ADT sign looks like its attached to it lol

congrats

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:01 pm 

You will love the power of the 583 warm it up take it for a quick ride around the block .

They came with K&N filters and no air box does this one have some sort of air box post detailed pics get some
UNI foam make your own covers for the filters cover up them K&N's belt guard does not look drakart going by memory
the early drakarts had no belt guard then they had one that was fiberglass some claimed they over heated the
clutches so removed them anything to keep the crap out of the clutches and off the belt is a plus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 pm 

Verrrrry nice!!!!

I thought it looked longer for a second, but then realized it has ATV-size tires on it, whereas most I've seen lately have the skinnier/taller desert radials on them.

Buy some good safety equipment...and be sure ot wear brown-colored pants for that first ride around the block! lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 am 

Expecting delivery on Tuesday or Wednesday. Will post up some pictures of the air box and such you asked for Hoser. Really looking forward to this after Sandy and all that has been lost.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am 

Good for you my friend, congratulations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 am 

Hello my friend! Long time sir!
I have several questions on this Drakart from the members. First jetting on it. Do you need to jet these engines per location, temp, elevation, humidity as a Pilot or do they generally have a stock jetting for the carbs and such? Does Drakart use Mikuni's or Keihin? These are dual carb correct? Is balance between the 2 an issue say like a Banshee?
Belts, is the stock belt good, is a good replacement like a Dayco ok or do you guys use a certain manufacturer?
Manuals for the engines, trans, and general repairs? Are they available?
General issues I should look for upon my inspection? I see CV are a long standing problem in some makes and years?
I remember Litespeed had frame issues on his, does this year as well? Suspension and Engine mounts I think correct he had?
Any items I should look into first that may need welding or gussets for strength?
Engine is a Rotax, what fluids are used?
Clutching leave stock? What type or are Comets? Are pucks used like our Pilots?
Tire sizes and rims, I do believe the current set up is a ATV style as previously mentioned, what is stock size of both?
I am sure I'll have many more, thanks for the help in advance!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnw8Kdfr5O8" .".." ."..

Buggybaz is bugeye? Does anybody have a clue as to the conversion of a Pilot wheel to a drakart by chance? I kind of like exploring the idea of doing it :-)

Here is a video of my newest ride off You tube posted by previous owner :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m5b3N-curw" ."..

Found that this morning when surfing the internet-lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 pm 

Received my Drakart today. I had to work late tonight so my time was limited but I had a bit of time to look it over. I have found numerous items:

Left side rear wheel bearings and seals are toast. It has been this way for some time as the cv housing has worn into the carrier were the bearings set.
Right side as well are not as bad, but are toasted as well.
Is there a site to purchase, anybody have numbers for seals and bearings?
No battery, missing. What does this unit take for sizes, etc anybody?
CV missing bands both sides.I know Sunblock has mentioned he replaced 1 axle in previuos postings.
Clutch side of trans seal has been leaking for some time, the side of the trans is soaked with fluid. I imagine the trans is low as well.
Radiator-a quick check and the coolant is tan in color, and the fins are clogged.Will need to be looked into more, hoping the block is not as bad as the rad is.
Front brake pads gone both sides. Again anybody know of a place to purchase?
Both spark plug caps are replacement ones that do not have the water proof seal on end.
The Drakart has a big ass metal fuel filter that sits under the engine-is this the proper location and size?( I will post pic of it)
Stupid stuff, no e-brake on these? Also electric start? I did not see a starter on the Engine, but again I checked pretty quickly tonight.
Front tires have tubes in them? My Drak does-Is this stock? I already took 1 out as it was cut at the valve stem and inserted tubeless valve stem, tire fixed for now.
Throttle cables are not run properly, 1 is against the Engine and cannot be correct- Also are these Drakarts supposed to have air boxes as mine does not.
Front end, 1 side tie rods have been replaced and are greasable, other side is non greasable. Ricky Stator sell tie rod ends? Once again where does one purchase stuff for these rides?
Rear rims and tires are way to low, what size is stock for these as I cannot think these are stock.
The trans clutch seems to have never been serviced, the roller are worn pretty good and the same with the driven, these are Comets correct? Any baseline settings posted anywhere for these engines?

Now also, what fluids do these Rotax engines run? Coolant as well I have not a clue here.Choke cable and throttle cables can be purchased? Also belts? this list is going to expand as I get into the Drak more and more, it also need a good cleaning to really get into a CSI. iS THERE ANY LOCATION OR ITEM I SHOULD LOOK FOR ASAP?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 pm 

Forgot to mention I really think the Pilot wheel conversion or a wheel replacement is needed as I sat in it and there is really limited room for me to move my arms. I am 6-4 235 and need all the room I can get! Does the Pilot wheel really assist in helping arm movement?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 pm 

Hey Mudd,just curious.
When you sit in the car is the steering wheel in a comfortable spot?
Does it have a quick release hub?
If it does and you sit in the car holding the wheel, does it feel better holding it closer to your body?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:58 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
Now also, what fluids do these Rotax engines run? Coolant as well I have not a clue here.Choke cable and throttle cables can be purchased? Also belts? this list is going to expand as I get into the Drak more and more, it also need a good cleaning to really get into a CSI. IS THERE ANY LOCATION OR ITEM I SHOULD LOOK FOR ASAP?

Nothing special about fluids for the Rotax. 50/50 Prestone coolant is fine.

Belt is prob standard size.

If you just want to replace existing cables, take them off and over to a custom cycle shop. They'll need the hardware and the length of cable / liner / motion. So if you take in the old, they can make identical new ones (plus some upgrades).

Wheel bearings should be standard available sizes.

Figure out what carb(s) is on there yet? Rotax typically uses Mikunis. If its a horizontal twin carb setup, it could be anything. If its a downdraft / SeaDoo carb, its prob a Mikuni.

Its very simple to pull the intake off and have a look at the rotary valve and crank/rod. The rotary plate and intake/crank faces will tell you if a K&N filter was used.

Rotax uses a lot of rubber seals and o-rings versus paper gaskets. TON of Engine parts available for these Rotaxs. I've discovered they're a pretty versatile & reliable powerplant. But they are 2-strokes and still face some of the same woes and goes.

Do the Draks run separate gas/oil or do they have the oil pump blocked off and run mix?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Hey Mudd,just curious.
When you sit in the car is the steering wheel in a comfortable spot?
Does it have a quick release hub?
If it does and you sit in the car holding the wheel, does it feel better holding it closer to your body?

thank you for the question .
the Drake does have a quick release on the steering wheel and I prefer the will to be farther away from me then closer. again I sat in it very quickly last night and did not spend the time to adjust for comfort.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:47 pm 

To me it looks like the wheel is too far forward,Placing it between the front "A" posts,leaving no room for your arms?

Driving with the wheel too far out will tire your arms sooner.

that's why I said sit in the car and hold the wheel to see if it feels better in a different location.

Then just extend the wheel with an adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
To me it looks like the wheel is too far forward,Placing it between the front "A" posts,leaving no room for your arms?

Driving with the wheel too far out will tire your arms sooner.

that's why I said sit in the car and hold the wheel to see if it feels better in a different location.

Then just extend the wheel with an adapter.

I will do so thank you for helping me

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:
Now also, what fluids do these Rotax engines run? Coolant as well I have not a clue here.Choke cable and throttle cables can be purchased? Also belts? this list is going to expand as I get into the Drak more and more, it also need a good cleaning to really get into a CSI. IS THERE ANY LOCATION OR ITEM I SHOULD LOOK FOR ASAP?

Nothing special about fluids for the Rotax. 50/50 Prestone coolant is fine.

Belt is prob standard size

If you just want to replace existing cables, take them off and over to a custom cycle shop. They'll need the hardware and the length of cable / liner / motion. So if you take in the old, they can make identical new ones (plus some upgrades).

Wheel bearings should be standard available sizes.

Figure out what carb(s) is on there yet? Rotax typically uses Mikunis. If its a horizontal twin carb setup, it could be anything. If its a downdraft / SeaDoo carb, its prob a Mikuni.

Its very simple to pull the intake off and have a look at the rotary valve and crank/rod. The rotary plate and intake/crank faces will tell you if a K&N filter was used.

Rotax uses a lot of rubber seals and o-rings versus paper gaskets. TON of Engine parts available for these Rotaxs. I've discovered they're a pretty versatile & reliable powerplant. But they are 2-strokes and still face some of the same woes and goes.

Do the Draks run separate gas/oil or do they have the oil pump blocked off and run mix?

Thanks for the help! Coolant 50/50 standard prestone universal or green?
I spoke to Motion pro via email and they said it would be no problem to make cables and such, probably at top dollar. I will look for a local vendor when applicable.
Wheel bearings are available standard sizes but seals too? Any special vendor that sells most of these items by chance?
I have Mikuni carbs flatsides will post pictures.
I am assuming when I remove the intake I will see the tale tell signs of sand and debris engraved into the crank, plate and such as these filters from a look have not been changed in some time and there is no way these have filtered well. Is there any site I can view the internals for reference?
I was told this uses pre mix, where would the block off plate be located?
Also the fuel pumps on these engines, electric? or diaphram style like odys and Pilots?
What pre mix ratio is the normal?
Sorry for the questions, I really do not have any experience with Rotax engines at all.

Attachments:
File comment: See that rear wheel angle? Those bearings are toast!
phone pictures 327.jpg
phone pictures 327.jpg [ 34.8 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]
File comment: If you look you can see the axle stub has worn a slight groove into the carrier
phone pictures 328.jpg
phone pictures 328.jpg [ 30.52 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]
File comment: Carbs Mikuni flatsides, very dirty missing bowl overflow hoses
phone pictures 330.jpg
phone pictures 330.jpg [ 52.35 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]
File comment: Trans seal leaking on driven side
phone pictures 329.jpg
phone pictures 329.jpg [ 55.55 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]
File comment: another view of carbs, horizontal twin carb.Do these need to be synced?
phone pictures 333.jpg
phone pictures 333.jpg [ 50.96 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 pm 

More pictures of Engine and such.Look at these filters! I have a question too about the battery box, is this a stock item? Does anybody have a picture of the correct stock OEM battery box?

Attachments:
phone pictures 332.jpg
phone pictures 332.jpg [ 54.51 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
phone pictures 334.jpg
phone pictures 334.jpg [ 31.08 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
phone pictures 335.jpg
phone pictures 335.jpg [ 47.81 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
phone pictures 336.jpg
phone pictures 336.jpg [ 53.89 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
File comment: This is for Hoser, he asked about this from another picture thinking it was possibly an air box, nope, tool box!
phone pictures 337.jpg
phone pictures 337.jpg [ 44.69 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
File comment: Another tans seal picture.
phone pictures 340.jpg
phone pictures 340.jpg [ 46.33 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:24 pm 

More. Please if you see anything off, wrong, or just does not look right PLEASE MENTION IT!!

Attachments:
File comment: Exhaust is wrapped should this be?
phone pictures 338.jpg
phone pictures 338.jpg [ 48 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
File comment: This is the battery box. No strap to hold it in, nothing.
phone pictures 343.jpg
phone pictures 343.jpg [ 31.68 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
File comment: Fuel cell, is this a stock or 1 off?
phone pictures 342.jpg
phone pictures 342.jpg [ 45.71 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
phone pictures 344.jpg
phone pictures 344.jpg [ 50.75 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
File comment: Why is there carbon here? What are these please and what do they do?
phone pictures 341.jpg
phone pictures 341.jpg [ 40.19 KiB | Viewed 7629 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm 

Where would the starter be located on this please? Did this ROTAX Engine come with electric start? I did not see a starter but a flywheel is present under the clutch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:29 pm 

"what are these ..why is there carbon built up ?"
they are rave valves... need regular service and they should have heat shields mounted to protect them from the header heat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:36 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Where would the starter be located on this please? Did this ROTAX Engine come with electric start? I did not see a starter but a flywheel is present under the clutch.

starter is under the Engine... a touch more to the front than the rear..