Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OEM Honda Piston Rings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:39 am 

Im trying to get ahold of a set of stock oem honda piston rings. I called chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts motorsports and they told me that the 80mm wiseco rings they sell will not work on a stock honda piston. Now this is me asking for 1) if i have a stock bore and stock honda piston is the wiseco rings different cause of the ring cut that would be on a wiseco 80mm piston? Im assuming the the ring landings on a wiseco piston are cut a little deeper cause chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts told me that i would have to modify the 80mm wiseco rings to get the correct clearances that a oem honda ring would be. And 2) if im on a stock bore is 80mm rings what i should be looking for? Reason for changing rings is just to freshen up cause i had a leak at the base gasket and figured while i was in there i should just get some new rings but it seems like this may be a little more complicated then i thought. I had some guy do a compression test on the cylinder and after about 4 seconds of cranking it read 140 psi. I know when i read the honda manual it said to crank it for 7-10 seconds on full throttle to see what compression was. Im thinking that i still may be good with the rings that are in it but im not so sure. If anyone can help me out with what direction i should go i would really appreciate it. Also bought a athena gasket set and im thinking of just changing out the base gasket and retrying to see what i get. What do you guys think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:02 pm 

89wheelchairpilot wrote:
Im trying to get ahold of a set of stock oem honda piston rings. I called chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts motorsports and they told me that the 80mm wiseco rings they sell will not work on a stock honda piston. Now this is me asking for 1) if i have a stock bore and stock honda piston is the wiseco rings different cause of the ring cut that would be on a wiseco 80mm piston? Im assuming the the ring landings on a wiseco piston are cut a little deeper cause chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts told me that i would have to modify the 80mm wiseco rings to get the correct clearances that a oem honda ring would be. And 2) if im on a stock bore is 80mm rings what i should be looking for? Reason for changing rings is just to freshen up cause i had a leak at the base gasket and figured while i was in there i should just get some new rings but it seems like this may be a little more complicated then i thought. I had some guy do a compression test on the cylinder and after about 4 seconds of cranking it read 140 psi. I know when i read the honda manual it said to crank it for 7-10 seconds on full throttle to see what compression was. Im thinking that i still may be good with the rings that are in it but im not so sure. If anyone can help me out with what direction i should go i would really appreciate it. Also bought a athena gasket set and im thinking of just changing out the base gasket and retrying to see what i get. What do you guys think?

Welcome new guy.
I don't think you are going to find any new, stock Honda rings around.
I had a used stock piston and rings but sent it to a member here (Jaylow) in exchange for a donation to Hoser and this site (not sure if he ever followed through with it). If you got 140lbs of compression your good. Caution: Do not run any paper cylinder base gasket. Here is why -- pic below is self explanatory right ?? You must run some sort of metal gasket like aluminum, brass, copper.

Attachments:
20140908_172711.jpg
20140908_172711.jpg [ 31.79 KiB | Viewed 3494 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:13 pm 

As far as I know that's all that is available for the FL400 is a paper base gasket. I know Speed made some aluminum gaskets for the FL350.

I run paper gasket on the base, buy CO is right they can and do blow out. When mine blew out I noticed the idol was fast. Once I discovered what happen I drove back to camp with the choke on.

I replaced it with paper and I used Yamabond, I believe Hoser recommended it, and it has held well to this day.

Isn't it crazy you can buy Honda pistons but not the rings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:18 pm 

The piston and rings you sent me were so far out of spec it was crazy..i was trying to to appreciative of you sending them out and not saying anythi g negative but you are throwning me out there like i didnt honor an agreement. ..the piston also has nicks in it...still in the back of my truck in the can you sent it in..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:54 pm 

jaylow wrote:
The piston and rings you sent me were so far out of spec it was crazy..i was trying to to appreciative of you sending them out and not saying anythi g negative but you are throwning me out there like i didnt honor an agreement. ..the piston also has nicks in it...still in the back of my truck in the can you sent it in..

Well then I guess I gota say sorry then.
I was under the impression you used it.
I did tell you it was on a used Engine that I got with a bunch of spares.
Now I know why you didn't send the donation.
Don't know why you didn't say anything sooner -- like right after I sent it to you.
When you say out of spec what does that mean ??
At the time we didn't even know the exact size of your bore even though I asked.
Anyways now I know. All sins forgiven.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:00 pm 

canadian oddy

Message subject: Re: Piston options..... are there any left?

Folder: Sent messages

so the piston fit ??

Sent: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:27 pm

View message

jaylow

Folder: Inbox

Hey the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is back together my new starter wiill be here tomorrow and ill have it back in Saturday. .ill let you know how it runs thanks for your help

Sent: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 pm

View message

Reply with quote Reply to message

canadian oddy

Did that piston show up yet ??

Sent: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:11 pm

View message

canadian oddy

Piston shipped today at about 1:30pm.
Hope it fits.

Sent: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:24 pm

View message

canadian oddy

I will probably ship tomorrow. Will pm ya when I do.

Sent: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:30 pm

View message

canadian oddy

jaylow wrote:

Whatever the stock oem straight from factory after recall. ..i assumed it was 78.5mm..

OK kid I will ship it next week.
I will PM you when I ship it.
If it won't fit ship it back please. Maybe someone else can use it if you can't.

Sent: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:35 am

View message

canadian oddy

I hate to tell ya but the 78mm piston and rings I got won't work for you if you have the 78.5mm.
If you put it in you will probably snap a piston skirt and do real damage. When you snap the skirt it will punch a hole in the bottom of the crank case. I will send it to you anyways if you want. Let me know.

Sent: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:15 pm

View message

canadian oddy

Hi Jay:
Hey I need a name and a postal code.
The dummies at Canada post might send it back to me without it.
You do have a 78mm piston right??

Sent: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:42 pm

View message

canadian oddy

The question is: Is it a 78mm bore ??

Sent: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:02 pm 

Sent: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 pm
To: canadian oddy

Hey the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is back together my new starter wiill be here tomorrow and ill have it back in Saturday. .ill let you know how it runs thanks for your help

Profile E-mail