Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:03 pm 

Anybody got a spare Pilot air box lid?? Im doing a TPI mod. I bought two of the low boys.

http://www.thunderproducts.com/tpi_valve.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 pm 

I do the same thing with my dual inlet mod just use duct tape to block off one or part of the openings on cold days or in the morning when its really cool out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:27 pm 

Do you remember that i was having problems keeping my ATV Racing Engine jetted properly, it was either too lean or too rich. Well after some research and whether this is all hogwash or not, the air box lid helps restrict some air so that the carb can pull in the correct amount of gas. Well I have always ran without the lid, yes I got caught up in the more air more HP hype, so I was running a 182 main jet and clip in center of needle with the lid off, my EGTs were around 1200 on long hard pulls, plug color was tan. So I installed the lid, the lid I have has a 3" hole cut in it as well as the stock hole, I rejetted main to 178, raised the clip one notch, plug color was still same tan color and my EGT's went to 1125, I performed many pulls on both set ups to maybe get an accurate test between the two set ups. I took the Pilot out to LS for a weekend of tuning and she never once needed to rejet like I was doing before, so i thought these valves would be perfect for when it gets cold, I can open a valve and if Im running rich on a humid day I can close one when it gets cold. I used to just install my lid when it got cold. I hope it works :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:27 am 

I think the idea of being able to easily choke or increase the air intake easily is a good idea but what would make the lid really good is if it had a built in prefilter as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:47 am 

stix wrote:
Do you remember that i was having problems keeping my ATV Racing Engine jetted properly, it was either too lean or too rich. Well after some research and whether this is all hogwash or not, the air box lid helps restrict some air so that the carb can pull in the correct amount of gas. Well I have always ran without the lid, yes I got caught up in the more air more HP hype, so I was running a 182 main jet and clip in center of needle with the lid off, my EGTs were around 1200 on long hard pulls, plug color was tan. So I installed the lid, the lid I have has a 3" hole cut in it as well as the stock hole, I rejetted main to 178, raised the clip one notch, plug color was still same tan color and my EGT's went to 1125, I performed many pulls on both set ups to maybe get an accurate test between the two set ups. I took the Pilot out to LS for a weekend of tuning and she never once needed to rejet like I was doing before, so i thought these valves would be perfect for when it gets cold, I can open a valve and if Im running rich on a humid day I can close one when it gets cold. I used to just install my lid when it got cold. I hope it works :-)

Yup I get the concept we discussed this jetting from the drivers seat many years ago on my old site when I was dreaming about running pikes peak and how to deal with the jetting issues of elevation that changes drastically, cable operated from the drivers seat

I used the duct tape and it worked well for me block one off on the cold mornings by time we needed to go back to camp to gas up it was warm enough to remove the tape on really cold days might have to wait until about noon.

You have the huge hole in your current air box lid so how about going to the junk yard and pulling the butterfly assembly off a EFI junk car mount it to your air box then run a cable to it, many are about 3" opening? My buddy has a few cars at his shop I think he is going to scrap I will see if I can pull a few off before he does, my son also has a car he is going to scrap that's a V6 I will look at that one before its scrapped too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:08 am 

This would/might give you the remote cable part already figured out anyway....

http://www.adventurerv.net/valterra-cab ... 4Aodon0AEw

These are available in both 1-1/2 and 3" sizes.

They sell 12v electric ones too, but I think they operate only all open or all closed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:25 pm 

cruz_01 wrote:
I think the idea of being able to easily choke or increase the air intake easily is a good idea but what would make the lid really good is if it had a built in prefilter as well.

On the last Pilot I bought it had an Outerware prefilter for the box, I snapped a pic.

Attachments:
P1040017.JPG
P1040017.JPG [ 61.03 KiB | Viewed 715 times ]
P1040018.JPG
P1040018.JPG [ 59.64 KiB | Viewed 715 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:33 pm 

John l wrote:

http://www.adventurerv.net/valterra-cab ... 4Aodon0AEw" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

They sell 12v electric ones too, but I think they operate only all open or all closed.

That would work...This is what i have

Attachments:
P1040023.JPG
P1040023.JPG [ 53.87 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]
P1040024.JPG
P1040024.JPG [ 39.6 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]
P1040025.JPG
P1040025.JPG [ 52.21 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]
P1040022.JPG
P1040022.JPG [ 40.47 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]
P1040021.JPG
P1040021.JPG [ 35.62 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:41 pm 

hoser wrote:
stix wrote:

Yup I get the concept we discussed this jetting from the drivers seat many years ago on my old site when I was dreaming about running pikes peak and how to deal with the jetting issues of elevation that changes drastically, cable operated from the drivers seat

I used the duct tape and it worked well for me block one off on the cold mornings by time we needed to go back to camp to gas up it was warm enough to remove the tape on really cold days might have to wait until about noon.

You have the huge hole in your current air box lid so how about going to the junk yard and pulling the butterfly assembly off a EFI junk car mount it to your air box then run a cable to it, many are about 3" opening? My buddy has a few cars at his shop I think he is going to scrap I will see if I can pull a few off before he does, my son also has a car he is going to scrap that's a V6 I will look at that one before its scrapped too.

It would be nice to have the valve remoted

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:53 pm 

your gonna put that under a perfiltered intake tube right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:49 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
your gonna put that under a perfiltered intake tube right?

Im installing the Outerware air box prefilter and run the Uni filter in the box. The Outerware prefilter is installed between the lid and box, its airtight , that's my prefilter.

Attachments:
P1040018.JPG
P1040018.JPG [ 59.64 KiB | Viewed 711 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:40 pm 

You know what might be cool is use a stock airbox lid and put a rv watervalve on the airbox lid on the snorkle tube so its prefiltered and you can adjust the intake air.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 am 

stix wrote:
John l wrote:

http://www.adventurerv.net/valterra-cab ... 4Aodon0AEw" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

That would work...This is what i have

I have the same exact thing on my Turbo Pilot and have yet to jet it using it. I also installed a dial a jet in the same pilot so I have a advanced method to jet especially in the winter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:11 am 

Mudbogger wrote:

I have the same exact thing on my Turbo Pilot and have yet to jet it using it. I also installed a dial a jet in the same pilot so I have a advanced method to jet especially in the winter.

Cool, I was looking at the intellajet as well since it can be remoted, but Ill try these valves first.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 pm 

I found one, thanks mudbugger

Profile E-mail