Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:38 pm 

Hello everyone,I got some quotes on tooling and production costs on floor board plastic Honda part#80200-VM0-000ZA or 80200-VM0-770.Not sure which is the more current.Tooling costs are astronomical,but if i could bring this badly needed piece back to the sport,make my money back and hopefully some extra it would be worth it to me.My question to the forum is who would be interested,how many projected units are still out there running and most importantly how much would the people be willing to pay?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:33 am 

I would love one, but unless the costs are low I don't see them selling well at all. I'd probably pay 2-300.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:02 am 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
I would love one, but unless the costs are low I don't see them selling well at all. I'd probably pay 2-300.

Same here if it's cheap I'll take one :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:01 pm 

Tooling costs for injected molded is around 25k I was told by one company.Then I got to doing more research and it seems maier thermoforms there pieces.Thermoforming tooling is much less,but from what I understand takes longer to produce.I've also recently looked into 3d printing.I'm sure I could keep retail around $300 each,but there dosen't seem to be much interest on this forum.Retail from honda was around $500 when available.I'm guessing from the high production cost.Seems the larger the pieces get when injected molded the price of tooling skyrockets.I'm hoping more will post so I can get an idea of how many units could be sold.The more units,the better price I could give.Basically if i knew for sure I could sell 100 units @ $300 that would be 30,000.That would cover my initial investment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:42 pm 

I don't know why but I have seen a few people make very nice diamond plate aluminum floor plates for the Ody and they didn't sell.

Probably because us Ody guys are CHEAP! Haha :-) I wouldn't even buy one if they were 300 bucks. Now for around 150 now you're talking!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:50 pm 

They're also a massive pain in the ass to change. That doesn't help. It's not like bolting on a fender.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:52 pm 

Randman,I would sell for $125 if i knew I could sell 250 pieces!!I wish someone knew the production numbers for the Fl350 and further more the site should have a poll on it's members and how many oddy's each member has like other sites.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 pm 

I have done 2 of them and I don't feel like doing #3 because they are a major pain in the ass! The aluminum ones I saw were a slip in design which alleviated the need to pull then entire front end apart.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:02 pm 

jimanold22 wrote:
Randman,I would sell for $125 if i knew I could sell 250 pieces!!I wish someone knew the production numbers for the Fl350 and further more the site should have a poll on it's members and how many oddy's each member has like other sites.

There were in excess of 10,000 Odys made and I have 3 of them. If we could only trace down the other 9,997 of them! :-) The ironic thing is that two of my Ody's have cracked floor pans. I have a spare sitting in the garage but I will live with cracked pans because of the pain to install the new one.

Seriously it's a great idea but you will wind up getting burned in the long run. You would put your hard earned money into the project only to have those flaky people that said that they would purchase one just back out of the deal. You are then stuck with stock you can't sell or have to sell at a great loss.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 pm 

I have seen several people spend money and not able to recoup it. The pilot wind sock is one that come to mind. (hopefully they will sell and things will workout) I personally tried to get a group buy together for a bushing kit and not as many people bought who said they would. So all I'm saying is be careful before you make a large investment.

Honda made/makes topnotch parts and that is what your part will be compared to, so keep that in mind. Over the years I have seen guys try to make parts with great intentions and it usually fails. One guy I remember tried to make a final shaft for the pilot. even went as far as posting some video of it being machined, never heard from him again - I assume it died on the vine. I have not even mentioned the carbon fiber and fiberglass guys who have tried. Some members were trusting enough to send their parts to help the process and they never got their parts back and project has never been finished. I personally sent some money to a guy trying to make the storage tops and as far as I know they have never been made. (disclaimer - he never asked me for money I sent it on my own - I know he had spent his own money trying and I just wanted to help out - It was a small amount of money- No worries on my end)

Again just be careful spending your money!

I personally try to spend my money on he stuff to keep it running. I wish I had some NOS Honda pistons and rings, and man I wish I had bought a new pilot crank before they were all gone.

Not all have failed - Speedchaser has made some great stuff. In my opinion the difference with him is he had complete control of the process as he uses his own machine shop. So he was not relying on others. Well I think he did sub the tube bending for his bumper which I absolutely love.

I wish you the best.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:10 pm 

I understand what you guys are saying.I've seen people try to reproduce parts on every forum from quads,bikes,jet skis,cars,etc and usually never gets off the ground usually because of money,lack of interest,time,or other prioritys in life..I'm looking to start reproducing things on different machines that are not available from anyone anywhere.Coming from a background of atc's,atv's,mx bikes,stand up jetskis,buggies,classic's,lifted trucks,etc I have a passion for it all.I'm not looking to get rich in the next month on one product.I'm looking for the long haul.It's always been my dream to reproduce custom and restoration parts for these old machines.I'm just looking to where I wanna start.I have some other idea's as well......The way I see it is there's guys reproducing just about everything for the old z50,honda US 90 three wheeler,etc so there's got to be a market and lets not even talk about how much money people pay for NOS stuff.So the money is there.I just seen 2 christmas special 1986 z50's in the create bid up to over 24k and still not meet the reserve.A few years ago there was a man that had nos US 90 tires and got 3k a piece.My stuff will obviously not be NOS,but just shows the money is out there."hopefully"lol......I would think that as well as the Fl350's hold there value,people would be inclined to keep them cosmetically pleasing.

Assuming my price was competitive and there's 10k units out there tucked away.I sell to 10 percent of the oddy owners in the next 10 years which is 1k .@ $300 each that's 300k.Is my thinking totally off here?Some will say,well no one here will pay that.They could be correct,but I can say when i had my watercraft salvage business people would pay over twice as much on ebay then they would on the jetski forums.I know it probably sounds like I've made up my mind already,but it's quite the contrary.I'm saying what I think and would appreciate constructive criticism.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:25 pm 

jimanold22 wrote:
I understand what you guys are saying.I've seen people try to reproduce parts on every forum from quads,bikes,jet skis,cars,etc and usually never gets off the ground usually because of money,lack of interest,time,or other prioritys in life..I'm looking to start reproducing things on different machines that are not available from anyone anywhere.Coming from a background of atc's,atv's,mx bikes,stand up jetskis,buggies,classic's,lifted trucks,etc I have a passion for it all.I'm not looking to get rich in the next month on one product.I'm looking for the long haul.It's always been my dream to reproduce custom and restoration parts for these old machines.I'm just looking to where I wanna start.I have some other idea's as well......The way I see it is there's guys reproducing just about everything for the old z50,honda US 90 three wheeler,etc so there's got to be a market and lets not even talk about how much money people pay for NOS stuff.So the money is there.I just seen 2 christmas special 1986 z50's in the create bid up to over 24k and still not meet the reserve.A few years ago there was a man that had nos US 90 tires and got 3k a piece.My stuff will obviously not be NOS,but just shows the money is out there."hopefully"lol......I would think that as well as the Fl350's hold there value,people would be inclined to keep them cosmetically pleasing.

Assuming my price was competitive and there's 10k units out there tucked away.I sell to 10 percent of the oddy owners in the next 10 years which is 1k .@ $300 each that's 300k.Is my thinking totally off here?Some will say,well no one here will pay that.They could be correct,but I can say when i had my watercraft salvage business people would pay over twice as much on ebay then they would on the jetski forums.I know it probably sounds like I've made up my mind already,but it's quite the contrary.I'm saying what I think and would appreciate constructive criticism.

Sounds like you know the risk and have it well thought out I say go for it.

Start building a list, you might create a similar post on other sites also.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13415

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:27 pm 

With used brittle fenders selling for $100+, I don't see why people wouldn't pay $200-$300 for a new foot tub. I have 4 foot tubs and everyone of them have a crack somewhere.

You'll have some handy/cheap guys who would opt to make their own out of sheet metal. But I bet there's plenty of people out there who would like a fresh tub and spill our the cash for one.

If you can make a FL350 tub, why not make some Pilot fenders, particularily the one discontinued one?? Seeing some recent evilBay auction where a NOS set went for $2k may have some wheels turning.

Now that you've gone public, you might have someone else with better means and/or deeper pockets trying to get to the finish line before you. So...keep that in mind. The next guy might be willing to just make 5-10% on his investment. Story...I was looking into getting some discontinued oil seals made up, and like 8-10 weeks after I talked about it on here, someone was offering them on evilBay. lol Glad I didn't drop $1500 on a couple tools and parts, granted my prices would've been 1/2 of what's out there because it was a nice-guy thing for me -- not a profit thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 pm 

Why not use fiberglass ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Why not use fiberglass ?

Fiberglass is pretty simple, indeed. If I were to make my own, it would be sheet metal or fiberglass. Only "tooling" involved is already in the basic shop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:54 pm 

There was a guy that posted on here with fiberglass tubs. He was very shady. Wish our convo didn't go to PM.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11771&hilit=Fiberglass+floor+tub" ."..

It sold and the buyer left bad feedback. Was too big if I remember correctly and couldn't be installed? Had flaws on the side not pictured. I'll try to dig up pics. I think I screen grabbed them to ask him what's up. Them he disappeared.

Edit: evidence not on this phone. I'll see if my old one turns on tomorrow. Bedtime for me soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:13 am 

Give it a go,I don't personally need one but maybe a year or so down the road I might need one or some one else.parts are getting scarce (do to most of the toy hoarders on this form Lol )we need people like you to keep these things from dying even if its just the effort of trying

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:18 pm 

I'm still in talks with different thermoformers and injected molding companies.If this happens,projected time will be 4-6 months before release.2 months in tooling time alone i'm told.After produced,there going to need to be tested to see if the quality/fit is there like oem.I have to figure out legalities.I'm going to need some kinda of assurance from these companies the quality will be what i expect otherwise there going to get it correct for one set price.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:02 am 

I would be interested in one. It is a big gamble but you will never know till you try it. if it does go well you could probably even make fenders too. and have different color options. cost is cost. people have to understand that you have to make a living too. this is 2014. whats cheap nowadays anyway. a buttered roll and a small coffee used to cost $1.00 Now its $2.50 Times change and so does cost.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:45 am 

fenders are already being made and in blue white red and black

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:44 am 

I would be interested in one, possibly two- depending on price.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:35 am 

Randman wrote:
I have done 2 of them and I don't feel like doing #3 because they are a major pain in the ass! The aluminum ones I saw were a slip in design which alleviated the need to pull then entire front end apart.

Rand

Yes this is an old bump but where do you find the slip on kind? I rather buy then make right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 am 

mcali2 wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

Yes this is an old bump but where do you find the slip on kind? I rather buy then make right now.

Guy on eBay was selling them RLM ? I think it was, I have his roof, side panels and nerfbars.
But before I could buy the foottub he stopped making them, I have contacted him a few times but he's not interested in making them anymore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 am 

Vacuum Forming is the way to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdNZFMplyM

SpeedChaser :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 am 

speedchaser wrote:
Vacuum Forming is the way to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdNZFMplyM

SpeedChaser :-)

So when will you start :-) You always make the cool stuff.

More detailed version by a guy we all know. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cacr1WeKOzY
Just happen to be the next video on Youtube heh

Profile E-mail