Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 pm 

This buggy started life as a Baja SAE vehicle in 2004. When I graduated in 2007 I acquired it and began the process of modifying it into a competitive Stadium Lite size race car that could still be used as a recreational toy. I "finished" upgrading it in 2009 and raced it in the local NOORA short course series for a few years where it was very competitive with fully modified CR500 long travel Honda Pilots. I raced and played with it through 2013 when the Engine lost compression and needed a rebuild. I ended up moving and other stuff took priority so it sat until I finally finished the Engine rebuild earlier this year and got it running and driving again. It is currently fully functional and ready to ride.

Quick specs:
Chassis: Full 4130 Chromolly tube, mostly 1.250" OD tubing, full length skid plates
Front Suspension: Double A-arm, 12" travel, Fox 2.0 Air shocks, custom uprights, Polaris Predator hubs
Rear Suspension: 5 link, 12.5" travel, Fox 2.0 Air shocks, custom uprights, Polaris Sportsman hubs
Steering: Rack and pinion, splined quick release steering wheel
Engine: 1996 Polaris Indy 500 snowmobile 2 cylinder 2 stroke, liquid cooled, oil injection, custom Aaen exhaust, fresh rebuild, electric start
Transmission: Polaris Indy CVT and chaincase with reverse driving a custom #50 chain reduction box (Forward and Reverse only, no Neutral)
Drive system: Polaris Sportsman 500 CV joints with custom longer axles, custom spool in gearbox
Fuel tank: custom 4 gallon tank with vent in cap and pickup sump
Wheels & Tires: 2 sets included - Kenda knobbies on 12" steel wheels for track racing, lug tires on Douglas aluminum wheels for general offroad/trail riding
Brakes: Wilwood dual MC pedal assembly, Wilwood 5/8" compact master cylinders, Wilwood PS1 front calipers, Polaris Sportsman rear calipers
Seat: Custom sheetmetal aluminum with minimal padding, 4 point harness
Electrical: 12V battery, electric start, front and rear lights, illuminated dashboard
Overall width: around 60"
Overall lenght: around 85"
Weight: about 650 lbs

Current issues:
Electric starter gear is worn down and sometimes comes disengaged, requiring a few tries to get it started.
Paint is beat up from racing, and overall this vehicle is about function more than appearance.

I am 6ft tall 175lbs and fit well. I would say someone from 5'5" to 6'2" would fit comfortably. It is a bit narrow in the cockpit so wider folks may not fit.

At least 2 boxes of spare parts are included, along with all safety gear (helmet, wrist restraints, neck collar, goggles)
I do have a basket case Indy 440 Engine that needs a rebuild available if you want it.

I also have a custom built 6ft x 8ft flat bed trailer with winch as well if you need it, for sale separately.

Additional pictures here or available on request: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/snw/d ... 56232.html

Lots of videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5wJxJtquxV

$4000 OBO

Attachments:
buggy 1.JPG
buggy 1.JPG [ 92.14 KiB | Viewed 1368 times ]
buggy 2.JPG
buggy 2.JPG [ 99.79 KiB | Viewed 1368 times ]
cockpit.JPG
cockpit.JPG [ 44.09 KiB | Viewed 1368 times ]
front.JPG
front.JPG [ 85.56 KiB | Viewed 1368 times ]
rear.JPG
rear.JPG [ 89.48 KiB | Viewed 1368 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:38 pm 

Size comparison to a Pilot.

Attachments:
Pilot vs homemadebuggyGNCC.JPG
Pilot vs homemadebuggyGNCC.JPG [ 86.29 KiB | Viewed 1367 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 am 

Hello, would t be possible or to post pictures of the trans and shaft setup?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 am 

go oddy wrote:
Hello, would t be possible or to post pictures of the trans and shaft setup?
Thanks

Sure, here are some images.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:08 pm 

Very nice work there.
I hope you make the sale. Looks like a fun machine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 pm 

Thank you. Looks very nice. Most sleds I believe have a ratio of 5:1... what is the final ratio of your setup?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Thank you. Looks very nice. Most sleds I believe have a ratio of 5:1... what is the final ratio of your setup?

The sled gearbox is 2.44:1 and my chain reduction is 3.33:1 so a total reduction of 8.13:1.

The sled gearbox is driving the track wheels which are about 8" in diameter, and I planned on running 24" tires, so about 3x more reduction is required. I then went with a little more reduction since the buggy also ended up heavier than the sled. The theoretical max speed based on the gearing and tire size is around 70mph, but with efficiency losses low 60's are more realistic. I clocked it once or twice around 60-62mph on flat ground.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:10 am 

I am not trying to be negative but -- sex sells -- right ??
So along the lines of "sex sells", I would try to sex up the front end of that thing a bit.
Just like looking at a girl, she has to have a nice set of headlights.
In this case I am not talking about actual headlights but the front looks flat chested.
I would try to sex it up by putting on a bolt on wedge shaped bumper.
Just my opinion.

Edit: I just watched a couple of those vids. That thing hauls azz. Nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:22 am 

This thing is awesome. I wanted to build the same thing. It's soo hard to find a Baja sae chassis

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:53 am 

Am I seeing it right? Is the fuel tank under your ass?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:08 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
I am not trying to be negative but -- sex sells -- right ??
I would try to sex it up by putting on a bolt on wedge shaped bumper.
Just my opinion.

Edit: I just watched a couple of those vids. That thing hauls azz. Nice.

Yeah it's definitely not a sexy show car, definitely more function over form. But at least there are not any fancy plastics to worry about breaking.
There isn't really a good place to put a bumper, and it's not really needed with the way the front angles up, but I appreciate the feedback.
It definitely does haul ass.

RoboRex2005 wrote:
This thing is awesome. I wanted to build the same thing. It's soo hard to find a Baja sae chassis

Thanks! Yeah Baja SAE chassis are really never going to be up for sale, as most old ones are either scrapped or acquired by members like this one. And to be frank, most aren't suitable for this type of project as they are built either too lightweight or are not a great design.

rmesser wrote:
Am I seeing it right? Is the fuel tank under your ass?

Technically it is under your legs, between the seat and steering rack. There wasn't anywhere else to put it. I prefer this location to the tanks mounted to the roll cage above the Engine and behind your head.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:48 pm 

JustMtb44 wrote:
Technically it is under your legs, between the seat and steering rack. There wasn't anywhere else to put it. I prefer this location to the tanks mounted to the roll cage above the Engine and behind your head.

I agree.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:37 pm 

Still available, lowered price.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:57 pm 

I'm very open to offers on this buggy, it is ready to run!

I just don't have the time or place to drive this anymore, nor a place to store it. I am currently paying for storage in the industrial park my work is in.

If I can't sell it, I might have to part it out, which would be a huge pain in the ass. I would much rather sell it complete.

I know it's not a Pilot or very pretty...but I'm asking less than most stock Pilots cost and it has the Engine to match a CR500 conversion and the suspension of a long travel kit.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 pm 

In my opinion that machine is worth the price you are asking even in parts.
It would already be in my shop if I didn't live at the other end of the world to you.
Also the Canadian dollar is 75 cents USA. Everything I buy from down there is double for me.
Good luck on the sale.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 am 

I watched a bunch of your videos, great racing by the way! That buggy can really move! Good luck with the sale, did you design and build?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
In my opinion that machine is worth the price you are asking even in parts.
It would already be in my shop if I didn't live at the other end of the world to you.
Also the Canadian dollar is 75 cents USA. Everything I buy from down there is double for me.
Good luck on the sale.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm asking half of what I actually have into it, which seemed fair.

MGurgone40 wrote:
I watched a bunch of your videos, great racing by the way! That buggy can really move! Good luck with the sale, did you design and build?

Thanks! Racing was fun, but no one is doing it anymore. The original design and build was a collaboration of a small group of people including myself, and anything to do with the current Engine and drivetrain was my design and built by myself and a buddy.