Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safest Option of Payment
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:16 pm 

Hello all,

I have a motorcycle that I am selling to a guy in California. He is working with some shipping companies. He seems legit, but I have reservations about selling to anyone without meeting them in person.

What is the safest, most secure way of receiving payment? I have heard that if you use PayPal your account could be hacked.....any input?
I have also heard that a Money Order could be forged and you won't find out until weeks later, then your on the hook for the amount...any input?
Personal Checks? Any way of guaranteeing that they won't bounce?

I am not releasing the bike to anybody until after payment in full has been received. I have not done any selling for this amount and am just unsure of the most secure way of getting the funds.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:54 pm 

You must keep records of your negotiation whether it be email, or whatever you're using to make the sale in-case things go sour. PayPal is very secure as long as things on YOUR end are secure (i.e., your PC, phone, whatever you're using isn't full of malware), and they (PayPal) can and will back you up if things go sour if you have a way to be able to prove your negotiations. Always send and receive money on PayPal as "paying for an item or good" rather than "sending money to a family member or friend" as I believe that could cause some issues for you.

It is common courtesy for the buyer to cover the PayPal fees. Also be sure to allow the funds to become available in PayPal before shipping so you can be sure there is no backing out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:25 pm 

in Canada we can do email money transfer. quick and simple

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 am 

Am I just paranoid or does this smell a little scammish? I know people buy vehicles sight unseen all the time on E-Bay, but I just can't imagine doing it myself. Maybe if it was a highly rated seller.

People use stolen credit cards through PP, you ship the product, then a few weeks later you get informed the transaction was fraudulent. You have to return the money, but your product is long gone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:24 pm 

wire transfer would be safest IMO, now it puts it on him to trust you. the other thing would be if the buyer somehow got a middle man to take possession and pay you cash then then they take care of all the shipping hassle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm 

liduno wrote:
Am I just paranoid or does this smell a little scammish? I know people buy vehicles sight unseen all the time on E-Bay, but I just can't imagine doing it myself. Maybe if it was a highly rated seller.

People use stolen credit cards through PP, you ship the product, then a few weeks later you get informed the transaction was fraudulent. You have to return the money, but your product is long gone.

I could not agree with you more. Even though he won't get title until the money has cleared and in my hand. He is willing to wait until the end of October before I release it to shipping. But I am very hestitant. Seems like I have read quite often where weeks later, after everything seems kosher and money has been sent, that something fraudulent would pop up forcing the return of the cash, but bike would be gone.

Kuma, can you explain exactly how the wire transfer works?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 pm 

I have used paypal on 3 separate occasions to buy pilots in other states with no problems,but my Bank is always trying to get me to use something called"Zelle"to send money,I'm with Bank of America

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:06 pm 

Wire transfer is something the banks do between each other. if he is willing to wait, have him send a personal check and wait for that to clear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:27 pm 

I've used wire transfer, Zelle, PayPal, personal check. Never an issue. I won't accept money orders or cashier's checks because they are too easily forged

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:17 am 

Duneit wrote:
I've used wire transfer, Zelle, PayPal, personal check. Never an issue. I won't accept money orders or cashier's checks because they are too easily forged

I know you used to be able to cash U.S Postal Money orders at the post office. I considered them as good as cash, because there was no risk to me or any of my bank accounts. I'm pretty sure they are a lot like travelers checks too, so the customer has a level of protection too.

Cashier checks can be cashed at the bank they were written,so as long as you and the customer have different banks, there's no risk to you.

This of course is only effective as long as you cash them before you ship. I'm not sure about large amounts at the post office though, 99% of my business back then was for $175.00 each.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:06 pm 

If your selling something the buyer is just going to part out you think you holding the title until his check clears matters to the buyer?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:49 pm 

I just wanted say thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions. I think that is what makes this site the best for any subject.

Thanks again