Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:05 am 

In 1998 I made a disc brake conversion for my old Pilot. I had a 97 Yamaha Banshee and I ended up using an extra set of calipers from that to do this conversion. A friend of mine had some extra hubs off of a 86 TRX 250R. I made a templet for a bracket out of 1/4" nylon to fit the caliper to the stock Pilot knuckle and machined the hub to fit the stock Pilot bearings. Unfortunatly with loosing my sight I was worried about trying to start from scratch to fab a bracket this time. Luckily my father found the origional templet in the garage junk drawer and surprised me with it when we came down to SO CAL to visit. Thank god he never throws anything out. So my wife and I went to work. I have access to a waterjet and the cut the brackets to match my templet out of 1/4" 304 stainless. It was a little bit overkill. This made it hard to drill and tap the holes but cant complain because it was free. Pics below.
Attachment:
File comment: The templet
100_3902.jpg
100_3902.jpg [ 26.66 KiB | Viewed 2651 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The brackets
100_3984.jpg
100_3984.jpg [ 74.8 KiB | Viewed 2651 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Hub machined with Pilot stock bearings and seals.
100_3993.jpg
100_3993.jpg [ 46.26 KiB | Viewed 2651 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: Installed
100_4011.jpg
100_4011.jpg [ 60.32 KiB | Viewed 2651 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 am 

Used 86-87 TRX 250 R hubs we found on ebay. Found calipers off 01-04 Yamaha Raptor 660 that were the same as Banshee on ebay as well. Fully rebuilt the calipers with all new pistons, seals etc. The rotors are tusk slotted rotor for a raptor 660 and they fit the hubs perfect. The pads are streamline HH pads for a 01-04 Raptor 660.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 am 

Like Hoser says you have to watch the rim offset. We found Ultimate Yellow Dot 10x5 4/144 4+1 offset rims form DWT.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:53 am 

so you machined the 250r hubs to except a pilots stock bearings?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:14 am 

Yes I had them machined on the inner side. The outer is the same. This was the first problem we incountered for this conversion. The person who did the machining was a little off and went in too deep. It was not that big a deal because he was only .008" off and we were able to fix it by using some metric shims inside the dust seal. You don't see them at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 am 

The next problem that I had was the center hub spacer was too small ID for the pilot spindle. I was able to fix this myself also. I just drilled it out a little on my lathe. I have a small jewlers lathe that I still use even blind for some aplications. I am so familiar with it that I don't need to see what I am doing I just count my steps and check sizing often.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:30 am 

Problem # 3. Just annoying really. With this set up you have to unbolt a sliderpin on the caliper and tilt it up to get to one of the bolts that hold the caliper on so that you can unbolt/bolt the caliper off/on. You can change the pads though without unbolting the calipers. They can be slid in form the side. So really you only need to unbolt the caliper if you want to remove the hub for any reason. It is still annoying to me though it might not bother some.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:34 am 

It looks awsome. have you tried it on an odyssey yet? They have the same brake set ups so this should work on the odyssey as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 am 

Problem #4. We were going to use the discs that came on the hubs that we won on ebay because they were almost brand new. But the bracket that was made was crated for the banshee disc origionally and it did not line up with the TRX 250 R disc that came with the hubs. They are about 1/8" larger so they rubbed on the inside of the caliper. This was not too much of a problem though because they do make discs for the banshee/raptor that fit the bolt pattern for the 86-87 hubs. The newer Honda use the three bolt pattern not the four bolt pattern that Yamaha uses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:43 am 

shoubadaba wrote:
It looks awsome. have you tried it on an odyssey yet? They have the same brake set ups so this should work on the odyssey as well.

No we havent. Rand is the only one we know with an Oddy nearby and I don't know if he would want to go through the trouble of mounting it to try it out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:56 am 

#5 I have way too much time on my hands. When I got the brackets done I sanded them and polished them to a mirror finish in the middle of the night one night. I started with 220 grit and went all the way to 2000 grit sandpaper. What else can you do in the middle of the night when you cant sleep that doesnt make noise. The medication I am on keeps me from sleeping a lot. My wife gets pissed. She finds me dosing off at 5am on the couch with the TV still on. I am not trying to make this a trailer queen I am just damn bored. You should see my daughter go-kart. It really looks like a trailer queen but it is not. We really do ride it. It has a custom painted fiberglass body that we do take off before we ride though. I can no longer repaint it if it gets messed up. Rand keeps bugging me to post that project but the pics are all printed pics and I would have to have my wife scan them all and she has been very busy. But we are planning on posting it when we get a chance.

Profile E-mail