Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:40 am 

MassOdy wrote:
From what I've been told: There is also a one year timer that starts once you public speak of an idea.
You have 1 year to apply for a patent on that idea.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

I am not good at searching I don't even know what to search for.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:47 am 

hoser wrote:
You ever figure out how much TOE change you have from full bump to full droop?

No I put every thing up on my top deck and am looking for loads now... Spent the beautiful weekend up here trying to figure this out... Waste of a good weekend... I might drift down to LA there is a better chance of frieeght down there. Plus If I can't find nothing I can go to Barstow and ride/test. I am not going to take this to the dunes any time soon. If the front end breaks somewhere in the sand might as well forget about getting the odyssey back to the truck... It would take a bulldozer to drag 3 wheels thru sand... At least I know the terrain in Barstow. And I will only ride where I can get to with the truck so I can load it back up...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:03 pm 

I know a little about Patents. I was one of the first people to manufacture a bullriding protective vest in the country. After Shooting the film "8 Seconds" about the life of Bullrider Lane Frost I began development of a vest and talked to a patent attorney. From my stand point I was advised a patent would be useless because all another company would have to do is change one aspect of my design, whether it was considered an improvement or not my patent would be useless... From the photo's I have seen of the setup on Mass-Ody's Wheelman Pilot IF High Performance ATV had a patent on their design, and IF as we can all see Steve COPIED this design he has no jeopardy of a patent infringement as he does not use the stiletto devise. (probably cost to much for him). Same issue with using the Hiems instead of a bushing. (Haven't seen the pilot set up though, that might have the bushing as its a weld on project. I wonder how we can find Steve's Patent application number? Surely He has enough business experience as a DESIGNER to know you can't just throw a "patent pending" statement out there trying to SCARE Stupid people!!!

hoser wrote:
MassOdy wrote:
From what I've been told: There is also a one year timer that starts once you public speak of an idea.
You have 1 year to apply for a patent on that idea.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

I am not good at searching I don't even know what to search for.

Attachments:
File comment: Any suggestions on color combo's For my sign As I want this to STAND OUT???
Web ADVERTISING1.jpg
Web ADVERTISING1.jpg [ 123.5 KiB | Viewed 2815 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:20 pm 

No PAtent pending then huh?
HMMMMMMMMM
bUT i BROKE A beta AGREEMENT HUH?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:37 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
No PAtent pending then huh?
HMMMMMMMMM
bUT i BROKE A beta AGREEMENT HUH?

WTF is a BETA agreement??? legalese????

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:53 pm 

Patent or no Patent, or Patent Pending......I could care less. As soon as I can get my hands on a tubing bender I'm going to build a VERY similar set up. Mine will be welded in instead of bolted in. It'll also have disc brakes. I'll even post detailed pics as I go!!

For now.....here's some pictures of the Engine install and new rear suspension.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z187/TroysPiranha/TylersOdyssey/

Troy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:17 pm 

TxBandit wrote:
Patent or no Patent, or Patent Pending......I could care less. As soon as I can get my hands on a tubing bender I'm going to build a VERY similar set up. Mine will be welded in instead of bolted in. It'll also have disc brakes. I'll even post detailed pics as I go!!

Troy

That Looks fun... :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:39 am 

TxBandit wrote:

Troy

Do you want me to set you up your own area in the photo album ?

No flashing advertisements their....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:52 pm 

hoser wrote:

Sure!!, you'll have to expalin how to access and upload to it.

Troy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:26 am 

TxBandit wrote:
hoser wrote:

Sure!!, you'll have to expalin how to access and upload to it.

Troy

Ok, this will be a learning adventure for both of us, the photo album to me is confusing the controls layout is hard to understand, up until now I have been batch uploading pictures users have not been uploading them but this is a good time for us to learn.

First create an account, once you do I have to activate it, I don't think I have the email settings right so I don't think it will send you an email .
http://pilotodyssey.com/cpg/index.php

Here is a tutorial I created that might help?

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?p=23526

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:57 pm 

Well I was surprised to receive some "replacement" parts from notsogreatcustomerservice.com aka aftersh ock et al. These are real stainless steel drag links he said on the other site that were sent with original shipment... These are documented in other photos as being 8 inches long, magnetic, with slight rust pitting before being mounted . Of course I was surprised to receive these, as I was expecting to have to have these made. I already had to modify the original steel links I had received, and installed. I already knew I was receiving the new clevis pieces I was also shorted on original shipment. and these had weld splatter I had to clean up. They were made from a thicker metal than the ones I made up at the last minute to get the Odyssey running for my trip to the Oregon Dunes.
After I replaced these I noticed that I had a good dent in one of my new a-arms. Seems I hit a rock and bent this near the bottom shock mounting location. This was the last place I expected to see a kink as it was so close to the flat plate installed in the arch of the a-arm to support the shock. I Stated my concerns earlier about the shock mounting area and how the a-arm itself was only contacting the steel bushing inside of the rubber bushings. the "dust covers" as they were referred to would not be affected. I discovered that the tube that the long bolt goes thru to secure the bottom of the works shocks was the exact diameter as the inside diameter of the dust covers. (see pictures) Once the a-arm hit a rock and then became distorted the dust covers and even the rubber bushing were distorted beyond my acceptable limits. ($700.00 shocks). I found some washers that fit onto the 7/16 bolt supplied by after sho ck and then I cut the mounting gap about 3/16th wider to allow for these common washers. I will try to find someone to weld something a little nicer to keep the dust covers from being destroyed. I was told by many that this would not be a problem. It's apparent they don't ride in the rough terrain I do as I have witnessed the video's of there nicely groomed tracks. I had planned on having some simple aluminum skid plates made for the a-arms, but I had to spend to much valuable time chasing down other problems not laid out in a clear set of instructions... This is the third time I have messed with installing this front end kit... I hope I only have one more to do... to remove and have powder coated!!!
I am in search of a fabricator that can duplicate these a-arms for me as I am un trusting about the original manufacturers honesty towards his materials, and need to be able to replace the original a-arms. I have already seen how I am told something is "Stainless Steel" and then find on my doorstep several weeks later some real stainless steel drag links. As far as the performance of this kit, I can not truthfully ascertain that as I have been reluctant to really push it. It will take a lot of seat time before I truly trust this product. After the lack of product support and POOR customer service I received from the Manufacture I am hard pressed to pass judgement on the reliability of this product. I will probably never know how well this is supposed to work because I will always wonder if I even have this installed properly... I believe after sh ock has left the door wide open for liability claims on any subsequent accidents, as I have been informed by other enthusiast.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:08 pm 

I hope these are clear...
These are of the pieces I was either missing on original shipment, or were to long and and mild steel, instead of stainless...

Attachments:
File comment: pieces I am replacing
redoa arm home007.JPG
redoa arm home007.JPG [ 36.92 KiB | Viewed 2721 times ]
redoa arm home008.JPG
redoa arm home008.JPG [ 35.85 KiB | Viewed 2721 times ]
File comment: clevis I made. and drag link as found after ride in Barstow...
redoa arm home010.JPG
redoa arm home010.JPG [ 40.43 KiB | Viewed 2721 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 pm 

Here are the pieces side by side....

Attachments:
File comment: I was leary about cutting my original 8 inch pieces to short... 7 inches should work...(I HOPE)
redoa arm home016.JPG
redoa arm home016.JPG [ 45.18 KiB | Viewed 2719 times ]
File comment: you can see how the manufactures clevis is sturdier than mine
redoa arm home017.JPG
redoa arm home017.JPG [ 48.22 KiB | Viewed 2719 times ]
File comment: hopefully you can see the splatter I had to clean off...
yea I know I am a picky SOB...
I am picky about how I spend my money... wouldn't buy a spark plug from aftersh ock motorsports

redoa arm home020.JPG
redoa arm home020.JPG [ 54.24 KiB | Viewed 2719 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:48 pm 

OK here is the bent a-arm I need help duplicating... I think the pictures will show how this is tweaked and what it did to the dust covers...

Attachments:
File comment: arrow shows where hit...
redoa arm home021.JPG
redoa arm home021.JPG [ 55.1 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]
File comment: This one is better, look at the rubber bushing coming out of the shock eye...
redoa arm home023.JPG
redoa arm home023.JPG [ 61.67 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]
File comment: bolt removed, and I had to remove the whole A-arm from the frame to get the shock out of this jam...
redoa arm home026.JPG
redoa arm home026.JPG [ 36.61 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]
File comment: I had to use the vise grips to push the dustcovers off the a-arms...
redoa arm home029.JPG
redoa arm home029.JPG [ 41.03 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]
redoa arm home030.JPG
redoa arm home030.JPG [ 43.72 KiB | Viewed 2682 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:06 am 

Here is the a-arm removed and on a flat spot... tweaked...

Attachments:
File comment: see clearance???
redoa arm home031.JPG
redoa arm home031.JPG [ 43.72 KiB | Viewed 2649 times ]
File comment: I placed a line from two points with my cheap photo editer... it is straight... now can you see the tweakiness???
redoa arm home032line.JPG
redoa arm home032line.JPG [ 59.97 KiB | Viewed 2649 times ]
File comment: here you can see how the dust cover is larger than the tubing that the bolt rides thru...
redoa arm home035.JPG
redoa arm home035.JPG [ 45.04 KiB | Viewed 2649 times ]
File comment: again...
redoa arm home037.JPG
redoa arm home037.JPG [ 50.27 KiB | Viewed 2649 times ]
File comment: My temp solution.... 3/8" washers... you can see at top of pic the dent...
redoa arm home038.JPG
redoa arm home038.JPG [ 59 KiB | Viewed 2649 times ]
File comment: me cutting the slot open...
redoa arm home040.JPG
redoa arm home040.JPG [ 46.33 KiB | Viewed 2649 times ]
File comment: You know for $2700.00 dollars I should not have had to do so much work....
redoa arm home041.JPG
redoa arm home041.JPG [ 44.6 KiB | Viewed 2649 times ]
File comment: You know when All this is done, and I send a service invoice for the labor and materials I had to invest into this kit I might have enough money to buy a bunch of new tools!!! I am questimating about 50 hours of labor over and above the 18 I was told up f
redoa arm home042.JPG
redoa arm home042.JPG [ 48.99 KiB | Viewed 2649 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:38 am 

OK I got it all back together... I had heck getting all the holes lined up on the damaged side... Glad my son was there to help... the other side wasn't hard at all to put back together!!!

Attachments:
File comment: I had my mechanic press the arm back almost to original... we couldn't get this in his press exactly as needed... but its close???
redoa arm home046.JPG
redoa arm home046.JPG [ 38.6 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]
redoa arm home047.JPG
redoa arm home047.JPG [ 46.23 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]
redoa arm home048.JPG
redoa arm home048.JPG [ 37.6 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]
File comment: can you still see the dent???
redoa arm home049.JPG
redoa arm home049.JPG [ 50.67 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]
File comment: yea I need some skid plates... you can see the nick in the base of the shocks...
redoa arm home051.JPG
redoa arm home051.JPG [ 38.05 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]
File comment: this is what I had to work with on the un damaged side... still a tight fit on the dustcovers...
redoa arm home052.JPG
redoa arm home052.JPG [ 44.86 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]
File comment: you can see the works steel bushing with in the dustcover...
redoa arm home053.JPG
redoa arm home053.JPG [ 42.67 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]
File comment: Again...
redoa arm home054.JPG
redoa arm home054.JPG [ 35.9 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:29 pm 

Please hold whilst our customer service department tries to figure out another way to make you look stupid

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 pm 

Turbo, Let me practice making a pair of front a-arms for my conversion. I'll post pictures of the results and then you can decide if you'd like me to make an attempt at duplicating the damaged on that you have. I should have mine done in a couple of weeks. I need to get material, parts and figure out exactly what I'm going to do. They will be different than yours, but only because I'm picky!!

Hoser, I registered on the photo album page.

Troy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:09 pm 

TxBandit wrote:
Turbo, Let me practice making a pair of front a-arms for my conversion. I'll post pictures of the results and then you can decide if you'd like me to make an attempt at duplicating the damaged on that you have. I should have mine done in a couple of weeks. I need to get material, parts and figure out exactly what I'm going to do. They will be different than yours, but only because I'm picky!!

Hoser, I registered on the photo album page. Troy

Tx Bandit!!! I will come see you next time I am back in Texas... I left the ody at home this trip as all my issues weren't resolved... I didn't feel like dragging a trailer queen all over the higheways and byways this time out... I have some ideas to improve these I want to run by you... there is no reason (besides poor design) for the rear (I meant LOWER) shock mounts to be boogered up yet... I have looked at alot of quads and aftermarket a-arm kits for these and none have the piss poor mounting setup... I am sending pictures to Works Shocks for their advise on how to remedy this problem, along with a request for new bushings...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:27 pm 

More pictures from original/first time to install...

Attachments:
a-arm 01003.JPG
a-arm 01003.JPG [ 49.56 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
a-arm 01004.JPG
a-arm 01004.JPG [ 33.94 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
a-arm 01005.JPG
a-arm 01005.JPG [ 34.77 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
a-arm 01006.JPG
a-arm 01006.JPG [ 38.43 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
a-arm 01007.JPG
a-arm 01007.JPG [ 33.79 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
a-arm 01008.JPG
a-arm 01008.JPG [ 43.57 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
a-arm 01009.JPG
a-arm 01009.JPG [ 36.94 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
a-arm 01012.JPG
a-arm 01012.JPG [ 54.64 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:36 pm 

more... new camera so some are fuzzy...

Attachments:
a-arm 01013.JPG
a-arm 01013.JPG [ 53.26 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]
a-arm 01014.JPG
a-arm 01014.JPG [ 71.99 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]
a-arm 01015.JPG
a-arm 01015.JPG [ 69.87 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]
a-arm 01016.JPG
a-arm 01016.JPG [ 65.05 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]
a-arm 01017.JPG
a-arm 01017.JPG [ 68.56 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]
a-arm 01018.JPG
a-arm 01018.JPG [ 90.39 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]
a-arm 01019.JPG
a-arm 01019.JPG [ 89.64 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]
a-arm 01020.JPG
a-arm 01020.JPG [ 79.86 KiB | Viewed 2531 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:46 pm 

some more...

Attachments:
Web ADVERTISING 2.jpg
Web ADVERTISING 2.jpg [ 45.98 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]
Web ADVERTISING1.jpg
Web ADVERTISING1.jpg [ 65.88 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]
a- arm 2009.JPG
a- arm 2009.JPG [ 47.73 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]
a- arm 2008.JPG
a- arm 2008.JPG [ 46.35 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]
a- arm 2007.JPG
a- arm 2007.JPG [ 55.87 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]
a- arm 2006.JPG
a- arm 2006.JPG [ 48.13 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]
a- arm 2005.JPG
a- arm 2005.JPG [ 48.54 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]
a- arm 2004.JPG
a- arm 2004.JPG [ 64.84 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:30 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
TxBandit wrote:

Hoser, I registered on the photo album page. Troy

Tx Bandit!!! I will come see you next time I am back in Texas... I left the ody at home this trip as all my issues weren't resolved... I didn't feel like dragging a trailer queen all over the higheways and byways this time out... I have some ideas to improve these I want to run by you... there is no reason (besides poor design) for the rear shock mounts to be boogered up yet... I have looked at alot of quads and aftermarket a-arm kits for these and none have the piss poor mounting setup... I am sending pictures to Works Shocks for their advise on how to remedy this problem, along with a request for new bushings...

Sorry for the late response, I've been swamped at the office.

Give me a shout next time you're in the area. You can come by and take a look at some of the other stuff that I've built and make your own decision based on what you see.

I'll PM my number to you.

Troy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:34 am 

I was going through thechassisshop.com manual and came across this special hiem joint to support the steering shaft.

http://www.chassisshop.com

Attachments:
SkillBilly Tie Rod Support.jpg
SkillBilly Tie Rod Support.jpg [ 94.48 KiB | Viewed 2616 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:41 am 

Full page

You can download the catalog off their web site I have a hard copy.

Attachments:
SkillBilly Tie Rod Support1.jpg
SkillBilly Tie Rod Support1.jpg [ 143.12 KiB | Viewed 2614 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next