Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am 

Most of what I did today was rotating tires/rims from what I had. I lost one somewhere along the way??? I am hoping Brooks finds it on his way home LOL That or it fell out of the back of the truck LOL It was a new blue label with a front sand tire... What sucked was that rim had holes to fit both the pilot/odyssey AND the 400ex... So I will have to order a new one LOL
My tire shop wasn't real happy when they seen the pile of HONDA rims they needed to break apart...
When I got home I checked the toe and replaced the one oddball arm with a stock one. I see these have lots of travel like 9inches but the shock seems to be a limiting factor, along with the tierod...
I remember some one wondering about change of toe thru the travel. The stock suspension seeme a bit as Mine is set up... I still don't know why some were so insistant on wanting to know how much the Yoda kit changed it is obvious they have never watched or even looked at the STOCK suspension in motion??? I am sorry now I didn't video this as I did it...
Here are some pictures...

Attachments:
rear shock 006.jpg [41.27 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
rear shock 007.jpg [40.78 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
rear shock 008.jpg [51.97 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
rear shock 009.jpg
rear shock 009.jpg [ 53.55 KiB | Viewed 2068 times ]
rear shock 010.jpg
rear shock 010.jpg [ 46.39 KiB | Viewed 2068 times ]
rear shock 011.jpg [60.98 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 am 

some more...

Attachments:
rear shock 012.jpg [51.47 KiB]
Downloaded 124 times
rear shock 013.jpg [64.96 KiB]
Downloaded 124 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:23 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
Most of what I did today was rotating tires/rims from what I had. I lost one somewhere along the way??? I am hoping Brooks finds it on his way home LOL That or it fell out of the back of the truck LOL It was a new blue label with a front sand tire... What sucked was that rim had holes to fit both the pilot/odyssey AND the 400ex... So I will have to order a new one LOL
My tire shop wasn't real happy when they seen the pile of HONDA rims they needed to break apart...
When I got home I checked the toe and replaced the one oddball arm with a stock one. I see these have lots of travel like 9inches but the shock seems to be a limiting factor, along with the tierod...
I remember some one wondering about change of toe thru the travel. The stock suspension seeme a bit as Mine is set up... I still don't know why some were so insistant on wanting to know how much the Yoda kit changed it is obvious they have never watched or even looked at the STOCK suspension in motion??? I am sorry now I didn't video this as I did it...

Toe change queer, toe change on the brain, the toe change in their brain took over and wont let go, someone planted a seed in their brain your Pilot wont start or steer if you have toe change, too bad people get brain washed and cant see clear to the facts it works well, oh well their lost our gain. What ever the change is I been running it on mine for thousands of miles, millions of bumps and jumps and many years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 am 

That's what I was thinking... I have only ridden mine maybe a full hour over some rough terrain as seen in my video's in Arizona and I have never experienced this bump steer everyone is worried about... Now I have never jumped the pilot, but have taken some off camber holes at speed in the desert in both the ody and pilot and have never had the steering wheel jerked out of my hand... I would think it corrects itself by the time you get back to ride hight/level out? which shouldn't take a split second???

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Toe change queer, toe change on the brain, the toe change in their brain took over and wont let go, someone planted a seed in their brain your Pilot wont start or steer if you have toe change, too bad people get brain washed and cant see clear to the facts it works well, oh well their lost our gain. What ever the change is I been running it on mine for thousands of miles, millions of bumps and jumps and many years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:40 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
That's what I was thinking... I have only ridden mine maybe a full hour over some rough terrain as seen in my video's in Arizona and I have never experienced this bump steer everyone is worried about... Now I have never jumped the pilot, but have taken some off camber holes at speed in the desert in both the ody and pilot and have never had the steering wheel jerked out of my hand... I would think it corrects itself by the time you get back to ride hight/level out? which shouldn't take a split second???

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Got me what the deal is maybe it is self correcting I never gave it much thought just like I don't think much about the paint not curling up on my Tahoe, the paint is not a problem so I don't think much about it, bump steer on the Tahoe is not a problem either so I wont be out in the shop trying to measure it..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:14 pm 

I found the reason why this was riding so bad... Shocks were leaking oil all out... sooooo. I swapped with the extras
Only problem is the top spring keeper is missing, soooo how do I get this apart to get to these rings

Attachments:
rear shock 016.jpg
rear shock 016.jpg [ 79.09 KiB | Viewed 2117 times ]
rear shock 017.jpg
rear shock 017.jpg [ 71.89 KiB | Viewed 2117 times ]
rear shock 018.jpg [49.57 KiB]
Downloaded 175 times
rear shock 019.jpg
rear shock 019.jpg [ 73.5 KiB | Viewed 2117 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:16 pm 

lutrev wrote:
Mine were the same no oil, like riding a pogo stick. And the only toe I'm concerned with is Camel toe. Hoser has a link on the home page for rebuilding rear shocks.

He He haha he said camel toe???

I thought way up there in the cold country you would have a different name for it LOL

I am reading it now LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:02 am 

I rode a little today at the local mx track, they wont let me ON the track but they have several acres and some trails to ride.. Mostly stayed on the dirt road. I tried going thru some whoops and just wasn't working I will call works and see if they can do what they call a heart transplant and fix my seals and add some adjustability and springs...

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/re ... vices.html
In the meantime I am going to try to add a spacer to the spring at top to add some preload just to experiment...

After the rear is fixed then I will work on the front end...

Does anyone here use the fox shocks up front? The coilover with cans with clickers??? No preload adjustment?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:01 pm 

OK here is a tech question, How much PSI is supposed to be in these shocks? I know my local honda dealer has the stuff to recharge these? Should or would It help? How much should I expect to spend?
I have sent an email to works on the rebuild of the other pair I have...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:25 pm 

Today the previous owner, Kelly keeton sent me some stuff he found after he sold me the Pilot... Stand up guy in my opinion! Hard to imagine he went thru the trouble to do that!
He sent the reflectors and a few other things. I was placing the reflectors on the pilot when I noticed some cracking on the left/drivers side down tube... Got the welder out and fixed it. I might have caused this myself... I noticed the halo hoop was a bit tweaked, and that the right downtube had some space between the bars. I like the 350's roll cage conectors so much better than the pilots... they are thicker and seem sturdier... I can see the driver side has been bent, looks like it was laid over just hard enough to catch the mirrow and kink it there...

Attachments:
downtube lt 003.jpg
downtube lt 003.jpg [ 32.49 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]
downtube lt 004.jpg
downtube lt 004.jpg [ 28.27 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]
downtube lt 007.jpg
downtube lt 007.jpg [ 38.26 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]
downtube lt 010.jpg
downtube lt 010.jpg [ 38.63 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]
downtube lt 011.jpg
downtube lt 011.jpg [ 34.29 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]
downtube lt 012.jpg
downtube lt 012.jpg [ 35.93 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:11 am 

Here is the next project on the pilot... I am not sure what route I will take and am still contemplating how to go about this...
Except for the wheel lock, my front end on the Ody works great I have found what chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts did wrong and why it locks up... I might just leave it alone and wait till I get my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) back from Hoser and have it race ready as a backup, or for someone else to use...
Today I took the extra set of A-arms (that are still for sale...) and put one side on the ody... looked kinda funny LOL
What I want to do is have my cake and eat it too... Low cost easy and low cost... I am thinking of just switching arms from buggy to buggy... low cost...
option A...
Leave the ody alone, except for fixing the fact that the pieces bend when put under pressure...
take extra set of stock a-arms and add 2" and put the hiems on the end of them for alignment (will require a trip to ADNOH's) and a new pair of Shocks for the front... or maybe use the same Fox Shocks I have and just make a bracket to move the top eye out 2"... This would be something like yoda kit, but not as neat and clean... It has been discussed here... I would basically have to cut the ends off of each arm, weld a 2" longer piece on the end and bungs for the hiems easy enough

Option B is to put the stock arms on the ody, shorten the outer tie rod (new one made) and get used to less travel on the ody... easiest on the ody, but would require more work on pilot with making a Adnoh type bump kit and take the A-arms off the ody and put them on the pilot... I doubt Rooky and livewire will offer any help, soooo I will have to figure out the basics on the science of where to place this at...
I am guessing I will need to buy some tie rod ends from Honda, have some tie rods made and I am hoping I won have to make any new brakelines...
I was under the impression that aftershocks a-arms were supposed to be 2 inches wider but they were 4 inches longer???
I am downloading a picture editor do draw lines but here are some pic's I took today...

Hoserized tie rods :shock:

Attachments:
downtube lt 013.jpg
downtube lt 013.jpg [ 49.22 KiB | Viewed 2027 times ]
downtube lt 014.jpg
downtube lt 014.jpg [ 36.63 KiB | Viewed 2027 times ]
downtube lt 015.jpg
downtube lt 015.jpg [ 47.55 KiB | Viewed 2027 times ]
downtube lt 016.jpg
downtube lt 016.jpg [ 45.29 KiB | Viewed 2027 times ]
downtube lt 017.jpg
downtube lt 017.jpg [ 40.13 KiB | Viewed 2027 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:20 am 

more for comments...

Attachments:
downtube lt 018.jpg
downtube lt 018.jpg [ 54.55 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
downtube lt 019.jpg
downtube lt 019.jpg [ 36.27 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
downtube lt 020.jpg
downtube lt 020.jpg [ 34.59 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
downtube lt 021.jpg
downtube lt 021.jpg [ 48.88 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
downtube lt 022.jpg
downtube lt 022.jpg [ 60.08 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
downtube lt 024.jpg
downtube lt 024.jpg [ 66.69 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:30 am 

and thennnn

Attachments:
downtube lt 025.jpg
downtube lt 025.jpg [ 74.31 KiB | Viewed 2021 times ]
File comment: 4 inch difference in the stock arm and chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts arm...
downtube lt 026.jpg
downtube lt 026.jpg [ 41.29 KiB | Viewed 2021 times ]
downtube lt 027.jpg
downtube lt 027.jpg [ 47.7 KiB | Viewed 2021 times ]
downtube lt 028.jpg
downtube lt 028.jpg [ 39.6 KiB | Viewed 2021 times ]
File comment: with the tire on...
downtube lt 035.jpg
downtube lt 035.jpg [ 55.81 KiB | Viewed 2021 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:53 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
Here is the next project on the pilot... I am not sure what route I will take and am still contemplating how to go about this...
Except for the wheel lock, my front end on the Ody works great I have found what chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts did wrong and why it locks up... I might just leave it alone and wait till I get my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) back from Hoser and have it race ready as a backup, or for someone else to use...
Today I took the extra set of A-arms (that are still for sale...) and put one side on the ody... looked kinda funny LOL
What I want to do is have my cake and eat it too... Low cost easy and low cost... I am thinking of just switching arms from buggy to buggy... low cost...
option A...
Leave the ody alone, except for fixing the fact that the pieces bend when put under pressure...
take extra set of stock a-arms and add 2" and put the hiems on the end of them for alignment (will require a trip to ADNOH's) and a new pair of Shocks for the front... or maybe use the same Fox Shocks I have and just make a bracket to move the top eye out 2"... This would be something like yoda kit, but not as neat and clean... It has been discussed here... I would basically have to cut the ends off of each arm, weld a 2" longer piece on the end and bungs for the hiems easy enough

Option B is to put the stock arms on the ody, shorten the outer tie rod (new one made) and get used to less travel on the ody... easiest on the ody, but would require more work on pilot with making a Adnoh type bump kit and take the A-arms off the ody and put them on the pilot... I doubt Rooky and livewire will offer any help, soooo I will have to figure out the basics on the science of where to place this at...
I am guessing I will need to buy some tie rod ends from Honda, have some tie rods made and I am hoping I won have to make any new brakelines...
I was under the impression that aftershocks a-arms were supposed to be 2 inches wider but they were 4 inches longer???
I am downloading a picture editor do draw lines but here are some pic's I took today...

Load up both and take to Adnoh's house and make the bump steer like his for both, put the stock arms on the 350 try the LT arms on the Pilot, like the arms then send them to a fab shop duplicate them so you have a few spare sets then you have LT on both machines.

You can make your own tie rods if needed just buy the metric bolts and cut the heads off put inside tubing and weld, that's how ATVR does it anyways, finding the left hand thread might be tricky but I bet the boys from DOWNUNDER or CANADA could help here...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 am 

Yea that would be the easiest way... but not low cost... Lol I am hoping to use the shocks I already have for the stock arms...
of course with me nothing is easy LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:10 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
I rode a little today at the local mx track, they wont let me ON the track but they have several acres and some trails to ride.. Mostly stayed on the dirt road. I tried going thru some whoops and just wasn't working I will call works and see if they can do what they call a heart transplant and fix my seals and add some adjustability and springs...

In the meantime I am going to try to add a spacer to the spring at top to add some preload just to experiment...

Does anyone here use the fox shocks up front? The coilover with cans with clickers??? No preload adjustment?

Works called yesterday and said they were unable to rebuild/revalve these... sooo... I guess I will try my hand at them, or send to Hoser to do...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:15 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Works called yesterday and said they were unable to rebuild/revalve these... sooo... I guess I will try my hand at them, or send to Hoser to do...

You should just upgrade the rear shocks I would have no idea where to go with the valving of the stock rears.

The FOX Airs work really well on the rear.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:17 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
OK here is a tech question, How much PSI is supposed to be in these shocks? I know my local honda dealer has the stuff to recharge these? Should or would It help? How much should I expect to spend?
I have sent an email to works on the rebuild of the other pair I have...

It says in the service manual I forget exactly but I think it was like 195 lbs

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:03 pm 

Yes I am thinking the same thing... For the 250-300 I would save it is worth it... I love the works on the ody, but right now just can't justify the extra expense...

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

You should just upgrade the rear shocks I would have no idea where to go with the valving of the stock rears.

The FOX Airs work really well on the rear.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:39 pm 

OK I am going to start a list of what I think I am going to need...
I will start collecting this and then maybe by the next time I come home from a trip I can start picking this stuff up...
Brake lines longer ones made out of the braided stuff...
4 stock tie rod ends
I will have to find someone to make the tie rods not sure how long yet...
then I will try to duplicate what adnoh did for his kit...
I just need to see what kind of angles and how he came across these angles

I kinda tink it would be a waste of time to tear off the front end besides the rear shocks need replaced too...
I rode it around the yard a little today and am getting used to it more... It handles a lot different than the ODY ever did with stock J-arms or aftershocks kit...
In a race on a track or in tight quarters I think it will keep up or beat the rhino's and rzr's because of how nimble it is...
On a bigger track or a cross country race is when I think I will need the longer travel...

ON the jetting I dropped a bigger pilot jet in it and still getting that dialed in...
it had a 45 pilot and a 172 in the ody... with the dial a jet

In the pilot the same carb I dropped it to a 170 main, and at a 48 pilot and that mine change...

the stock carb had a 142 main and a 52 pilot... and ran flawlessly LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:55 am 

I found the issue with the carb, I created this problem myself (as usual LOL) I put som heat shrink on the exposed metal cable housing hoping to keep dirt out... It slid down and was hanging the cable!!! I trimmed it up and put back in the 45 pilot and am good to go!
I am glad the previous owner did the radiator relocate and suggest every on else to this just to make access to the carb easier!!!

Attachments:
File comment: you can see it bundled up...
carbshots 001.jpg
carbshots 001.jpg [ 34.51 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
File comment: I trimmed up the rubber here...
carbshots 002.jpg
carbshots 002.jpg [ 24.4 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
File comment: the carb is easy to get to here...
carbshots 003.jpg
carbshots 003.jpg [ 45.48 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
File comment: I haven't gotten around to removing the parker pumper yet... Need to buy a helmet for it!!!
carbshots 004.jpg
carbshots 004.jpg [ 56.68 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:01 pm 

The next thing I did was to place a spring clip on the rear shocks... I had these from other shocks I got and didn't like how loose the springs were. It is like adding a few turns on a threaded preload shock... Which is what I had to do on the Works shocks on the ODY... This will tide me over till I get my rear shocks replaced...

Attachments:
File comment: you can see here how loose they were...
shockshim 005.jpg [34.69 KiB]
Downloaded 178 times
File comment: you can see here how much it will add to the preload...
shockshim 003.jpg [22.44 KiB]
Downloaded 178 times
File comment: I don't know if it will help much but at least I don't have to worry about the spring getting damaged
shockshim 004.jpg [32.1 KiB]
Downloaded 178 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:41 pm 

Here are a few things I have cleaned up on the Pilot...
My skid plate unde r the Engine was full of dirt and OIL.... I pulled it and found the short crank case vent tube was not where it was in the manual. I bought some 3/16th fuel line and ran it up higher! Up and over the reserve tank for the radiator.
Then I went ahead and installed my dial a jet back onto the 39mm pwk carb. It sure woke this thing up almost lifting the front tires off the ground! It runs out good thru the hole range!
The next thing was to clean my filter and show every one a different way of running a pre-filter setup... I am waiting for Afastcar to send me his lid with the 4" filter attachment! This is an outerwear I had from my Kids 2006 CR125R dirt bike and it fits over the topless Airbox perfectly...
Then I Hoserized the rear links on the rear axle... I didn't get any pic's as it was damn near dark...
Next thing is to put a mid section skid plate...

Attachments:
File comment: this is AFTER the cleaning, needed to do the spots I missed
undersideDialajetouterworks 001.jpg [63.92 KiB]
Downloaded 135 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 002.jpg
undersideDialajetouterworks 002.jpg [ 48.96 KiB | Viewed 2028 times ]
undersideDialajetouterworks 003.jpg [42.7 KiB]
Downloaded 135 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 004.jpg [40.53 KiB]
Downloaded 135 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 005.jpg [36.82 KiB]
Downloaded 135 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 006.jpg
undersideDialajetouterworks 006.jpg [ 48.04 KiB | Viewed 2028 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:47 pm 

some more...

Attachments:
undersideDialajetouterworks 007.jpg [43.21 KiB]
Downloaded 131 times
File comment: plug readings after the dial a jet install...
undersideDialajetouterworks 008.jpg [30.28 KiB]
Downloaded 131 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 009.jpg
undersideDialajetouterworks 009.jpg [ 33.18 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
undersideDialajetouterworks 010.jpg [23.68 KiB]
Downloaded 131 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 011.jpg [33.85 KiB]
Downloaded 131 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 013.jpg [38.16 KiB]
Downloaded 131 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:53 pm 

In the last pic above I took some wire, and heat shrank wrapped it, then like a bread wrapper I tied the dial a jet cover I also put some filter oil on the top piece to help keep dust out

Attachments:
undersideDialajetouterworks 014.jpg [48.95 KiB]
Downloaded 129 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 015.jpg [51.32 KiB]
Downloaded 129 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 016.jpg [47.77 KiB]
Downloaded 129 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 017.jpg [38.88 KiB]
Downloaded 129 times
undersideDialajetouterworks 018.jpg [42.27 KiB]
Downloaded 129 times
File comment: Another use for your Outerwear
undersideDialajetouterworks 023.jpg [36.83 KiB]
Downloaded 129 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next