Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 pm 

It was suggested by several that I start a thread of the necessary repairs and upgrades to the recently acquired triple E I came across recently!
After 1 lap the thing just seemed to fall apart! What I first thought was a blown motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was actually a pipe that was welded to the manifold and hard mounted to the frame that had cracked, thus dropping the clutch guard down onto the moving clutch... man what a racket!! Being as I was out of town, and sceduled some racing, and riding with Hoser this Month, I took it to a shop in Fountain Hills. Some might have heaerd of Jay, who used to do a lot of Fab work for ATV Racing! Jay used to race the MT and Pace series and owns DESERT DOG OFFROAD! He is a real nice guy and IMO very knowledgable about these old cars! He knew his way around Ricks Briggsbuilt today when rick came to pick me up for a ride!
In an attempt to help Jay (and myself) i offered to take the car apart today to provide access to the Engine compartment for jay to "fix" my pipe... Once I got this all apart... Basically removed the panels, the seat, and the heat shield here is what I found...
The seat was just installed by Jay... Very professional done and well thought out! He didn't have much time or room to work with but he did a great job doing it! I then found the heat shield had been ZIP TIED in place... Jay explained to me that this was how he found it when he pulled the old seat out... he did rivit the two pieces togeter so they would not rattle... He told me about this last week, but since I was ready to go race I forgot about this??? What happenend to the original mounting points of the heat shield???
Next was to remove the Clutch Gaurd, and this was where MY heart SANK... I delved into this and found that the clutch gaurd was directly mounted to the PIPE??? No wonder the pipe broke!!! Jay then came over to see what he had in store for him... This is when he "taught" me that the pipe should have NEVER been welded directly to the manifold! Instead it should have been done like the PIlot or Odyssey... He then pointed out that the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was way loose, but that will have to get fixed later... He pointed out that as the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) vibrates, the pipe should be loose... BUT We found where these pipes were hard mounted to several places in the frame, and only found ONE pilot style muffler mount/hanger...
After seeing all this it was suggested I drag this to PowerPro's in California and get this issue fixed once and for all! He told me he could PATCH this but wouldn't gaurantee it for obvious reasons...
Upon further inspection I discovered the other pipe had a big ass crack in it as well... So California here I come!!!
He is trying to find replacement buttons for the clutch, and has already ordered the seals for the tranny...

Attachments:
File comment: bolted to the pipe...
's 001.jpg
's 001.jpg [ 68.58 KiB | Viewed 1735 times ]
File comment: cracked
's 003.jpg [41.85 KiB]
Downloaded 592 times
File comment: How clean mine will eventually be!!!
's 004.jpg [71.97 KiB]
Downloaded 592 times
File comment: cracked
's 006.jpg [66.5 KiB]
Downloaded 592 times
File comment: Here is how the other end of gaurd was attached???
's 007.jpg [72.87 KiB]
Downloaded 592 times
File comment: This is the other pipe already showing a crack...
's 008.jpg
's 008.jpg [ 54.88 KiB | Viewed 1741 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:11 am 

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:36 pm 

Just dropped off the triplee e at power pro's in California...
Pic's of the broken motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount that had to be fixed, and the chickenshit way the tranny seal was repaired

Attachments:
File comment: broken mount
from phone november10 046.jpg
from phone november10 046.jpg [ 1.82 MiB | Viewed 4740 times ]
IMG-20101120-00118.jpg [50.46 KiB]
Downloaded 515 times
File comment: gob of silicone... I damn near puked when I saw this...
IMG-20101120-00119.jpg [42.16 KiB]
Downloaded 515 times
File comment: instead of the proper freeze plug looking seal they put this in...
IMG-20101120-00120.jpg [46.25 KiB]
Downloaded 515 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:40 pm 

Here is what a pile should look like! Done decided to go with a 2 into one setup. I think this will be the way to go simply because of the room... He thinks it will only reduce my top rev's by 4-5 rpm's but add a lot of torque...
It should be finished tomorrow!
I will go see Quality drive services out here tomorrow as well... I hope they have some info on my driven, and can replace all the missing buttons on the cams... There was only one on race day???

Attachments:
pipe on floor.jpg
pipe on floor.jpg [ 2.1 MiB | Viewed 4691 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 am 

That's a nice looking pipe David, Can't wait to see it all back together.

Bob ::-:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:28 pm 

You are doing it right David, keep it up. Keep us posted on the progress. Need anything, let me know! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:51 am 

Nuke Em wrote:
You are doing it right David, keep it up. Keep us posted on the progress. Need anything, let me know! :-)

Thank You Nuke Em! Hoser is taking home an old rusted up 350 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) with him! If he goes back your way ask him to drag it out and see if you have what it needs... Basically everything on the sides LOL From gear balancers on the one side and the ignition and flywheel stuff on the other... Basically it's just a set of cases and a covered jug and head...
Today I picked up the triple EEE And WOW is all I can say! Don at power pro's built me a one of a kind custom pipe that I think will outlast the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))! I still need to get it painted, but he went out of his way to knock this piece of art out for me so I could take it back with me! Real Stand up guy!!! If anyone needs a pipe for their 350's or Pilots PM me! I got us a good guy discount! I will start another thread on that!
While I was in the SoCal region I went to see the guys at Quality Drive! A big Thanks goes out to Shouldacoulda for sending me there way! They didn't have the slippers for my fancey billet driven clutch, so I purchaced a salisbury driven from them! They matched up the face angles, and went with a 32* helix! I will need to contact the new comet clutch owners for the right slippers, but the new driven should work out better than the busted up one this came with!
My battery was dead after sitting all this 2-3 weeks so I couldn't start this thing up tonight! Walmart might be open so I can get a new one tomorrow???
Still need to put the fire wall back... This time it won't be put in with ZIPTIES!!! I am thinking baling wire for now, until I can put something more permanant! I almost puked blood when I saw all that ZIPTIED Not just the fire wall, but the side panels too...[url][/url]

Attachments:
IMG-20101124-00139.jpg
IMG-20101124-00139.jpg [ 68.12 KiB | Viewed 1551 times ]
IMG-20101124-00140.jpg
IMG-20101124-00140.jpg [ 68.22 KiB | Viewed 1551 times ]
IMG-20101124-00141.jpg
IMG-20101124-00141.jpg [ 60.27 KiB | Viewed 1551 times ]
IMG-20101124-00142.jpg [52.57 KiB]
Downloaded 402 times
IMG-20101124-00143.jpg [63.26 KiB]
Downloaded 402 times
IMG-20101124-00144.jpg [49.12 KiB]
Downloaded 402 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:36 am 

In the 4th pix, is that the fuel tank filler neck that appears to be a ear hair away from the exhaust header? If so you might wanna wrap that neck with some heat tape.

Is one of your filters foam and the other a K&N with a pre filter?
Pipe looks sweet :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:02 am 

Whats up with the exhaust being 1" away from the gas filler hose? (at the hottest part of the exhaust none the less) Why the hard mount from the pipe to the frame near the left rear shock area? Starters don't like heat. Exhaust should not be that close to the starter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:56 am 

Good eyes and good points! There is a heat shield being made for the fuel line like the heat gaurds off my exhaust of the peterbilt held in place by band straps!
The solid mount mid way up the pipe is fine since there are two slip joints on the hole pipe! Room for vibs etc!
If the starter takes a dump on me then I will build a heat shield for it also! Might even do it anyways while I weld tabs for fire wall
The filters are like that because these mikuni carbs have no lip whatso ever to let the filters catch! That is another thing that needs to be addressed when I get this home! Filters shouldn't be mounted to a carb without a failsafe method to keep them from falling off! Unless its not an oFfroad vehicle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:28 am 

Stoneman wrote:
Is one of your filters foam and the other a K&N with a pre filter?
Pipe looks sweet :-)

it's pantyhose! closest thing to a prefilter I could find!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 am 

Power pros even went so far as to drill me holes for the egt probes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:44 pm 

lutrev wrote:
That is one wicked looking pipe, hope it works as good for you as it looks. Once you clean up the items you are doing now, it should be one wicked,and reliable machine.

yes, but every time I look at it I find more stuff that needs attention... Stuff I assumed had been taken care of! to date I've put another $2k into it :shock: :shock: and cant even drive it yet...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:54 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
lutrev wrote:
That is one wicked looking pipe, hope it works as good for you as it looks. Once you clean up the items you are doing now, it should be one wicked,and reliable machine.

yes, but every time I look at it I find more stuff that needs attention... Stuff I assumed had been taken care of! to date I've put another $2k into it :shock: :shock: and cant even drive it yet...

Did you buy it "as is" or "race ready"?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:14 pm 

Stoneman wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
lutrev wrote:

neither... I was assured by several members and I wont add names that this would have been done right and done well! Were there any gareentees no... but I was told things had been fixed and have not seen where... I have no hard feelings toward the previous owner... I told him I would buy it and I kept my word...
So now all I can do is fix what I find, and prep whats left...After hearing reviews of those who had seen it I took a lot of faith in their comments... After seeing cowboy's pilot and slick ricks briggs car sell at a comprable price I assumed I would have been sold a comparable car... I wasn't as we see here...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:32 pm 

He bought it as an incomplete/unfinished project. He approached the previous owner wanting to buy it from him. It was not posted for sale. He showed up and spent 4 days driving it, taking it apart, inspecting it and driving it some more. Before he paid any money for the machine he had decided that he wanted a single pipe vs the twins. What else were you told that was fixed and wasn't?? The input of the trans seal was repaired but started to leak again before you purchased it, if it was even leaking at all?? or was it just the cv stub seal? I told you that I did not jerry rig anything and I didn't. I told you that this is something I do as a hobby based on skills that I have acquired from my profession. Some stuff turns out really good, some stuff doesn't and requires a rework. The axle shafts deal must be from the previous owner. RTV is nothing but a band aid in my book. I told you that I never pulled the axles or the trans, and convinced brooks to allow you to cut off the welded skidplate to inspect the bottom of the trans. I was trying to help you and I understood your concerns. Brooks pointed out to you that the belt guard tab had broken on a recent ride and that he tied it up with wire to make it back home and hasn't had a means of properly repairing it before you bought it. Your exhaust broke because of someones poor welding job on the Engine mount - that was made in a fab place out near you, not by me. That stuff can and will happen. It is part of the hobby and will be a big part of owning a very custom off road vehicle. You stated that Jay said the Engine was moving all over the place (Engine mount broken)- this would cause the pipes to crack. Yes the pipes were solid mounted to the frame- just like your new pipe is, there was a ball and socket type coupler from the expansion pipe to the manifold pipe when they left my hands 5 years ago for each pipe. (this Engine is hard mounted so you can mount the pipes to the frame/cage). You were on here right off the bat to say that your Engine blew up. How do you inspect and condemn a blown Engine but yet you don't see a 3ft pipe laying on the drive clutch? Did you tell everybody that those filters where filters that you had just put on? No you didn't. By the way, that Engine was brand spanking new when we fired it up for the first time - not rebuilt- new. It came across to me as a reader of the post that brooks sold you a junk motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). Did you ever give it a thought that maybe the fitler came off because the Engine was flopping around hard enough to break a 16 gauge exhaust pipe? I gave you list of people to talk to including quality drive systems, to assist you in this project. I told you that you could send me parts like the hub and the clutch and that I would have them repaired just for being a mutual friend on this board and to help you out with this expensive and exciting purchase. The slippers on the clutch are a maintenance deal. Sometimes I will go through a set in one weekend, sometime they last for months. They break off from the driven clutch backshifting hard and fast - this happens when you lock the rear end up, go across woops etc. They cost $1. I am still trying to figure out why there is fresh aluminum powder around the hub holes on the driven clutch that you took pics of? You obviously did not tap out those threaded holes before running bolts in trying to back off that clutch. I would like to see pics of this crack for csi purposes. This clutch was very different from a ody driven. You most likely broke the key for the helix as I see from your pic that it is unwound for lack of a better word. The clutch did not leave brooks house like that. The car will not move if the clutch is unwound - I've been in that boat before. I would like to buy this clutch from you. Please pm me a price. If you want to buy a new clutch then complain about the cost then you should sell some of the very RARE extras that brooks through into the deal like the honda line tach, or the original briggsbuilt liquid cooled 350 cylinder/head parts. You forgot to mention those too. You state that the seat was mounted on the tin floor, yet the pics you have up show the seat mount - both the bottom and the back mount. The seat was original to the car. It is not out of a dune buggy. These cars were built to be light - not comfy. You did not buy a pos. The car is very solid, all the suspension was in very good condition. You had a weld break on your Engine mount that caused an expensive repair bill. It could have cost more if that "shitty" exhaust pipe didn't break first causing you to stop the Engine and see that your air cleaner was missing. You have already mentioned my name in your other post which is why I am posting this. You can play the I won't mention names game, but most people here know that Brooks and I are very good long time friends. I have not said anything and have been letting you sit back and try to make my friend out as a liar. That is BS. Nobody scammed you. You checked this thing out for 4 consecutive days! To buy it, then take pics and say you got taken is BS. You either want the attention, like to start problems, or have no idea as to what you are looking at when purchasing a 20yr old off road race car. You did not buy it from me, I performed work on this 5 yrs ago, I simply did what the owner wanted done as part of the buddy system, also told you I have not seen the car in three years, it is 3,000miles away from me. A lot can happen to an offroad vehicle in 3yrs, but yet you make it sound like you were assured that the car had JUST been gone through by me. I was right there to answer my phone while at work to answer the questions you had that brooks did not know the answers to. I wanted to help you see this project through but your comments are not helping you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:51 pm 

King Kx wrote:
He bought it as an incomplete/unfinished project.

He approached the previous owner wanting to buy it from him. It was not posted for sale.

NO I was NEVER told it was an incomplete/unfinish project...

I drooled over this the day I bought my Pilot... When Slickrick ask about buying it Brooks was good enough to offer me first chance! So that is why it wasn't posted for sale...
I showed up Saturday, drove it Sunday and paid for it Monday... Picked it up Tuesday... so yes 4 days, but besides the Peterbilt, this is the most money this poor boy from Texas has ever spent on anything! I did the same thing when I bought my Pete... looked over known wear items to see what I was getting into...
The rest is not worth commenting on, but you were not the only one I went to for advise on this purchase! I haven't said anything bad about Brooks nor you, just posting what I had found...
And quite honestly no I was sick to my stomach and didn't want to look at this thing after what I GUESSED was a bad motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))... Metal on metal is never a good sound, and the pipe wasn't that cracked until riding on the back of the peterbilt all the way up to Nevada and back to meet hoser for a ride...
Ya'll can call me names all you want... I stood by my word and bought the thing and bt God I'll fix it too...
When I asked about the seat Brooks never said a thing about there being a metal bar welded across there!!! I even mentioned that that made me nervous.
The rest is just drama...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:31 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
Stoneman wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
lutrev wrote:

neither... I was assured by several members and I wont add names that this would have been done right and done well! Were there any gareentees no... but I was told things had been fixed and have not seen where... I have no hard feelings toward the previous owner... I told him I would buy it and I kept my word...
So now all I can do is fix what I find, and prep whats left...After hearing reviews of those who had seen it I took a lot of faith in their comments... After seeing cowboy's pilot and slick ricks briggs car sell at a comprable price I assumed I would have been sold a comparable car... I wasn't as we see here...

I don't know how to reply to 2 different topics at once so I'll just segment my reply:

I'm sorry you feel that you didn't get as good of a deal as Slickrick or Cowboy. Rick's car is very sharp and looks like it rips. So will this one, but you cant go making statements like "I've already put $2k into it" without saying that it's stuff that you wanted changed anyway. I told you I wasn't going to pay to have the skidplate fixed after you removed it since you wanted to be 100% sure the cases were good. Same with putting a different seat and belts in it...that's all personal preference. It really sucks that you broke a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount during the race and wiped out the exhaust. That is all crap that happens when racing. That mount was done by previous owner (as was the zipties on the firewall/air vent panels - I just left it like that. Didn't see any reason to mess with it)

As far as "as-is" vs "race ready" - When you stopped by the house for the first time you asked about it and said you wanted first dibs if I were to ever sell it. And I believe the quote when we were talking and settled on a price was "i'm glad it's going to someone who's going to finish it and get it back on the track." (or some variation of that...been a long time) I know that I nor Mark ever "assured" you that the car was 100% race ready. We never had it completely apart. We only did the Engine wiring, exhaust, and some misc stuff to get it going.

I have no hard feelings towards you either Turbo except that you implied that Mark didn't do a good job with the exhaust when it was clearly the broken motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount that wiped out the exhaust and that you seem to want to flame me over how "good of a deal it was". Just remember, when you think it wasn't a good deal as a pilot...they only made 5 or 6 of these last generation cars...you will more than likely never see another one up for sale.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:17 pm 

brooks wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
Stoneman wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
lutrev wrote:

I don't know how to reply to 2 different topics at once so I'll just segment my reply:

I'm sorry you feel that you didn't get as good of a deal as Slickrick or Cowboy. Rick's car is very sharp and looks like it rips. So will this one, but you cant go making statements like "I've already put $2k into it" without saying that it's stuff that you wanted changed anyway. I told you I wasn't going to pay to have the skidplate fixed after you removed it since you wanted to be 100% sure the cases were good. Same with putting a different seat and belts in it...that's all personal preference. It really sucks that you broke a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount during the race and wiped out the exhaust. That is all crap that happens when racing. That mount was done by previous owner (as was the zipties on the firewall/air vent panels - I just left it like that. Didn't see any reason to mess with it)

As far as "as-is" vs "race ready" - When you stopped by the house for the first time you asked about it and said you wanted first dibs if I were to ever sell it. And I believe the quote when we were talking and settled on a price was "i'm glad it's going to someone who's going to finish it and get it back on the track." (or some variation of that...been a long time) I know that I nor Mark ever "assured" you that the car was 100% race ready. We never had it completely apart. We only did the Engine wiring, exhaust, and some misc stuff to get it going.

I have no hard feelings towards you either Turbo except that you implied that Mark didn't do a good job with the exhaust when it was clearly the broken motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount that wiped out the exhaust and that you seem to want to flame me over how "good of a deal it was". Just remember, when you think it wasn't a good deal as a pilot...they only made 5 or 6 of these last generation cars...you will more than likely never see another one up for sale.

more like someone's going to use it! I was told the only thing left to do was to finish tuning the clutch and work on the jetting...
The seat had to go... I pulled the cover and saw small washers on fiberglass... not big fenderwashers on fiberglass... Ya'll had the seat and FIREWALL out to fit pipes! I asked about the seat looking like it bolted to thin skid plate you were clueless... you never mentioned a 1/2 wide flat-bar was holding it in place... you gave me pieces that you cut out of the car that you claimed the previous owner was so short...
FIREWALL... what good is a fire wall if cheap zipties are holding it in place... DEATHTRAP... should have never happened... Jay was kind enough to rivit it for me...
from the one pictre I was able to snap the night BEFORE the race the weld was already broken... or looks like it was missed... I assumed that ya'll finished the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) install and in my opinion should have seen this... You don't have a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount with rubber bushings in it and hard weld a pipe directly on it... there has to be some give somewhere... ya'll have seen enough ody/pilot pipes to know that... the side that had the small crack had one pilot isolation rubber... the other side was directly bolted to the frame on two places...
Skidplate removal... you saw the large amount of rocks that came out of the plate when we finally got it cut loose... On pinched between the steel plate and aluminum case guess which metal will give first whoever did the plate was clueless... no holes for rocks and drainage! my 2nd biggest concern was how did you ever service the fluids... Mark told me you used a pump???
yea the seat and pipe were things I was going to do to it, but not on day one!@!! I planned a 2-3 week vacation to stay and ride with Hoser with this new purchase... not turn it into a trailer/shop queen... Like I told Mark, and even told you when I wrote the second check, I got what I wanted but paid way too much for it... One of a kind or one of 5 made is useless if it is not safe or finished and certainly not worth what I paid for it... especially after I heard what you paid for it years ago...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:51 pm 

There are no rubber bushings on that motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mount. It has two delrin bushings in the front as a support that are sandwiched in with a steel insert. These bushings do not flex and or move like rubber. They are very dense and should last a very long time. Nothing moves/pivots etc in them. There should be zero movement of that Engine. If there is ANY play, then something has broken, loosened up, or is missing and needs to be fixed right away. If you want to add rubber bushings to reduce vibration etc, then you will need to make some kind of arm/link to prevent the Engine from being pulled back towards the trans when the Engine is under load and add flex supports to the exhaust.

I would also recommend that you take the buggy for a hard ride with that new pipe. From the pics you have posted, that pipe looks to small for that Engine. I've done several 500 swaps, and every one that got a pipe off a 500 - 600cc motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was to small for the buggy application. The pipes would hold in exhaust heat. The Engine would run good until it was up to temp, then it would fall flat on its face and it would run a hotter than normal coolant temp. In this application I found a stock pipe for a 700cc Engine to move enough air to get the correct scavenging effect going. I believe that hoser or I posted up a link on measuring expansion pipe temps and understanding the results and what to do to get the best scavenging effects. Just something you should check out before it is to late.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:44 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
brooks wrote:
One of a kind or one of 5 made is useless if it is not safe or finished and certainly not worth what I paid for it... especially after I heard what you paid for it years ago...

So you know what I bought it for as a roller (no secret what i paid...you never asked)..and what you spent on a pipe and some misc stuff...so you know I didn't make a damn dime on it. That's what making all the "drama" much more of a pain. I should have left her where she was in the garage until I had a chance to use her more.

Like I said - zipties were there...I saw no need to change it as it worked just fine. About the seat...maybe you asked when the baby was screaming and i was distracted during your endless inspection. I didn't think you thought I had just bolted it to the floor...I showed you the 3 inch risers cut out to make the seat lower. Regardless...that's a moot since you put in a pilot seat anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:44 pm 

I made it back to the house this evening! After charging the battery I finally started the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) for a bit this evening! It took a few try's since riding on the trailer probably drained the fuel out of the lines... I don't remember what this things rpm's were before, but after running and getting warm they settled in at 1300-1400. On the Ody this is normal, but with twins I'm not sure? Anyone know what this should be? Tomorrow I might go see the folks, but my Sister and Dad both have colds so I might put this off till later...
If I stay home I will go wash this off and clean it up real good... I then need to paint the pipe a flat black with some good high temp paint! Any suggestions on a good brand? While the paint dries I will add a heat shield to the fuel line and starter too... I have order some dzues conectors but for now bailing wire will hold the firewall in place... Once again for others who plan on adding a fire wall to your ride to make race legal, the plastic zip ties will melt if there is ever a fire... Can you say Hot Seat???
The steering rack is made by wright, at least the others I have found in this style are... I need to find some new boots and clamps, tear into it and check the internals out and re-grease! Then I will move outward and check out the tie rod ends that have lost or degraded rubber boots. I will hopefully be able to use the replacements from napa... I will flush out the old grease with new grease and check to see how much dirt comes out...
Another safety concern I found involves the small bolts that hold the brake drum on the hub... One is backed out quite a bit, so locktite will be aplied to all...
I still haven't found the exact hub, and need to learn how to measure the shaft so I can start to source spares...
Once the paint is dry I will put the pipe back in, and close up the back end and see what happens next...
Here are some pictures...

Attachments:
File comment: this is the rack that needs cleaned up...
IMG-20101126-00150.jpg [58.02 KiB]
Downloaded 290 times
File comment: here is the small bolt coming loose, I am glad I caught this!!! Could have got ugly...
IMG-20101126-00152.jpg
IMG-20101126-00152.jpg [ 34.29 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:49 pm 

Remove the allen screws on the steering rack cover to access the "gears". Drill and tap a hole for a grease fitting in that cover, then you can give it a pump of grease every once in a while without having to disassemble it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:58 pm 

Got this washed up good, the pipe painted up and the hub off! The hub is made by a housel miller from cherryvale, ks! it's marked hm 506 with a pattent number 3724907
the dust seal is by national 471750

Attachments:
IMG-20101127-00153.jpg
IMG-20101127-00153.jpg [ 131.19 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]
IMG-20101127-00154.jpg
IMG-20101127-00154.jpg [ 79.92 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]
IMG-20101127-00155.jpg [99.03 KiB]
Downloaded 255 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:28 am 

Pipe is in! Firewall is buttoned up and fuel hose is covered and protected! Seat is in too!
Front wheels are repacked and new dust seals installed cracked hub has been welded! New ball joint boots installed and fresh grease in throughout!
I am 80% done putting the belt guard in! Then I will try to figure out a way to keep the filters from falling off! Not sure if I need to have a airbox built, or if the exposed filters keep the dirt out???
Still have the rear axles to go through and the rear shocks need looking at too...
Only hoping to be able to drive it around the place before the end of the week.. Winters suck with short fdays...
Pictures are on the phone, will have to post later...

Profile E-mail