Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:36 am 

ive just had a cylinder relined, bored and honed to fit the standard 80mm piston. ive purchased the standard piston and rings and although the piston is a lovely tight fit i the bore, i can not get the piston in with the rings on at all.
the rings wont seem to compress enough to be flush with the o/d of the piston? the ring dimensions are (loose)
o/d 82.75mm
i/d 76.65mm
thickness of the ring is 1.43mm
and depth is 3.32mm
do these rings sound like they are too big for the standard honda 80mm piston?

thanks

shaun!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:20 am 

You check the ring end gap with the rings off the piston?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:23 am 

Yeah.... What should that be?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:33 am 

grimlocksteeth wrote:
Yeah.... What should that be?

I don't know what did the instructions that came with the rings say?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:57 am 

Kinda haven't read the instructions....... Firstly because I'm a man, and secondly because they didnt come with any?? :-/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:06 am 

You have Honda rings or Wiseco?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:50 pm 

They're Honda rings, I lined one end up with the tab on the piston then gently tapped the ring on and managed to get it into the piston flush. Is tgat right? The piston and rings now fit inside the barrel..... Nice and tight!! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:31 pm 

Did you check the piston to cylinder clearance
Did you check the ring end gap
Did you have the markings on the rings facing up when you installed on the piston
Did you line the ring gaps up with the locator pins on the piston

HAVE YOU READ THE MANUAL

Sound like your about to make about a 150.00-400.00 mistake

My best advice is to STOP and hire someone that has done this before OR make sure you have plenty of money to spend on your not reading the manaul

The manual tells/shows you how to do all this and how to check to ensure your parts are correct READ THE MANUAL!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:12 pm 

Take it back apart like Hoser said. If you force something to fit, that means it doesnt go there. (That's what my wife keeps telling me about anal sex, maybe one day I can change her mind on that).

Set the piston inside the cylinder without the rings and get a feeler gauge and check the clearance from cylinder to piston. Also, are you sure it is a Honda piston? And not a Weisco? Can you provide pictures of what is going on?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:20 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
Take it back apart like Hoser said. If you force something to fit, that means it doesnt go there. (That's what my wife keeps telling me about anal sex, maybe one day I can change her mind on that).

Set the piston inside the cylinder without the rings and get a feeler gauge and check the clearance from cylinder to piston. Also, are you sure it is a Honda piston? And not a Weisco? Can you provide pictures of what is going on?

Thank you, a nice pro active and useful reply.
Just for the record I'm not 'forcing anything' but I will take it apart and take some photos in the morning.

Shaun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:30 pm 

nickRNR wrote:

LMFAO!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 am 

What kind of piston is it? How "tight" are we talking? The rings should never have to be "tapped" into the gap on the piston.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:37 am 

Are they wiseco rings on an Art piston maybe causing that? If its all brand new it shouldn't be an issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:57 pm 

Any update and pics????

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:18 am 

For clarity, the stock pilot piston/s is an arts, so the the rigs are tapered ( one side flat and the other side has an angle)and the piston ring land (groove) is also tapered so the ring must be installed according to the manual or damage to the piston ,rings and the cylinder will result. So follow the manuals clearances. For the weisco replacement piston the rings are flat on both sides and can be installed either side up. The clearances for the rings, piston and bore are labeled on the box with an instruction sheet in the box.

Since most do not have a bore gauge to check the shops work you can rely on a few thing like ring end gap the way the piston slides down the bore. After all there is several ways of doing things. If you get the piston,rings and cylinder back from the shop and the piston has been removed from the box with a few marks on it look for where the marks are and make sure it's where the manual recommends that the measurement is to be taken. A good shop will take several measurements in at least six locations. This is to be done so the Clarence is correct between the cylinder and the piston. Now when I say marks I do not mean heavy scratches or gouges, just surfaces marks from then measuring tool. Next would be the ring package if it not opened look out. That means they did not consider the end gap during final honing. Touch more on that latter. Next would be the way the Piston fits and slides down the bore. Before his you must first be sure both are clean and free from honing debris and handling contaminates. Then just gently slid it into the bore from the top and see what happens with the piston under its own weight. Please place a rag or two to cushion the fall of the piston at it bottoms out the bore. The piston will either fall under its own weight or with slight pressure that must fell to they touch equally as it falls or rut ru..

Mor latter gotta go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:02 am 

nickRNR wrote:

That made me crack up soon bad

Profile E-mail