Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Ramp
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:07 am 

Hoser,
Are you really planning to drive up this?
Or is this simply your doorway & you are planning to use ramps?
It looks like you'd high center driving up it if this your loading ramp.
My other concern would be the tubing is weaker at the bend & it could fail with out additional support underneath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:56 pm 

I have driven up steeper sheot than that in a pilot. He could drive up that ramp no problem as long as it was dry. The only issue there is if a car or bike was broke. Then a $10 come along will get it up the ramp in real life. Not that big a deal. I say put a Rocking stereo in it and let it Ride! I wish I could afford gas for that beast. It looks good enough that I'm jealous. :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ramp
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:11 am 

Toyman wrote:
Hoser,
Are you really planning to drive up this?
Or is this simply your doorway & you are planning to use ramps?
It looks like you'd high center driving up it if this your loading ramp.
My other concern would be the tubing is weaker at the bend & it could fail with out additional support underneath.

I really have no idea until I cover the tubing and try the ramp what I will do I can walk up the tubing as it is I assume after I put the plywood on and it distributes the weight over more of the tail gate a Pilot and driver will be more than 200 lbs per square foot, if its too steep then I will add a 2' flip out extension like other trailers have and it will reduce the angle more, no matter what the angle I will put the aluminum tread plate on the gate in the future for now it will get sand in the paint, the whole project is trial and error, error then change direction, my goal is to get the bulk of the work and my ideas functional ASAP so I can use it then tweak out any problems in the future I figure it will be a work in progress for the next few seasons, each trip will spark new ideas that I can work on when I get back home in my free time so if I need to use ramps to get in no big deal the door I built was 2x easier than 2 barn doors that would no doubt be a pain in the butt when the wind blows this one wont be affected by the wind heh.

One of my goals for tomorrow is to get some plywood on and drive the Pilot and 400EX in to see how it works, just looking at it backing a Pilot in and up the ramp will be a trick :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:30 am 

Here is a thought. Build a short set of saw horses(about 2.5' or so) and drop the ramp down on them. Then use your regular ramps to drive up onto the now less steep main ramp....

might work.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:37 am 

BigTom wrote:
Here is a thought. Build a short set of saw horses(about 2.5' or so) and drop the ramp down on them. Then use your regular ramps to drive up onto the now less steep main ramp....

might work.

If its too steep I will make a 2" extension on the end of the ramp like most trailers have but it will also have a stand built in first you flip the stand and set it down then the 2' extension..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:40 am 

hoser wrote:
BigTom wrote:

might work.

If its too steep I will make a 2'extension on the end of the ramp like most trailers have but it will also have a stand built in first you flip the stand and set it down then the 2' extension..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Ramp
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:58 pm 

Hoser,
You mentioned backing up this ramp. IMO it'd be much easier to drive it in & back it out. The weight transfer to the rear tires will aid in traction.

Post subject: Re: Ramp
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:40 am 

Toyman wrote:
Hoser,
You mentioned backing up this ramp. IMO it'd be much easier to drive it in & back it out. The weight transfer to the rear tires will aid in traction.

Right I already know this... the reason to back up would be to cram more stuff in a given space, back one in then drive the other in and put the front tires over the top of the one you backed in to create more floor space in the cargo area.

A bus is not big like everybody thinks when they first see one, people look at a bus and think you have a unlimited space inside, this one is 35' bumper to bumper, when I am done will be lucky to have 16' of floor space, picture your trailer 16' long inside, the living area will be smaller than my RV was but I don't need much space their just enough to eat and sleep, as part of the orignal plan I will end up with the 16' to 18' enclosed trailer I always wanted ths only difference is this enclosed trailer will have a place to eat, sleep, shower and will still cost about 3000 bux less than the new trailer I was looking at... I also wont have to come up with another truck to pull the enclosed trailer with.

No doubt their will be a big trip or two where I will have more stuff to take than I normally do that's when I will attach my trailer and tow it behind.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Space
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:00 am 

I've seen this method of stacking in an enclosed trailer before. I've learned one must be creative as its' amaizing how quickly space is taken up in a trailer. A small winch may be the ticket to pull a Pilot backwards into your rig.

Post subject: Re: Space
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:11 am 

Toyman wrote:
I've seen this method of stacking in an enclosed trailer before. I've learned one must be creative as its' amaizing how quickly space is taken up in a trailer. A small winch may be the ticket to pull a Pilot backwards into your rig.

Some place I have a real old 12v boat winch that works really really well I might rig it up, I need to find it first havent seen it in 10 years, hope I didnt toss it out. :shock:

Even with tread plate on the ramp I think backing up when it is wet would be a real trick heh

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:11 am 

Is there is not enough room to turn it around once it's inside? I mean by yanking on the front and back like it was inside your garage and you need to spin it around in place.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:35 am 

Bill.. wrote:
Is there is not enough room to turn it around once it's inside? I mean by yanking on the front and back like it was inside your garage and you need to spin it around in place.

The inside is 91" wide I havent measured my Pilots over all length yet to see if it will fit sideways I think I might have to remove a bumper, maybe I can rig somehtingup like Tripp has in his garage, lift the Pilot up by the top cage and spin it around sideways? A Pilot is a pain to try and spin then move around inside a trailer I remember helping Pilotcat with his heh some sort of system will be needed to ease the pain.

Looks like the rain has let up a little here hopefully I can get some wood on the tail gate today and test drive a Pilot in..

On another note.... I seen the inside of Randys toy hauler (Odysseysalvage.com Randy) he was going to have a rail and trolly system to load and unload them also he could hang them on the walls, wonder if he ever finished this project it looked like a cool setup in the making.

Bill how is your weather is it dry and are you getting fires too?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:44 am 

The weather the last 2 days has been awesome. It sprinkled and rained a little last week so it's not overly dry. High today is supposed to be 75 deg, so should be another great day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:26 pm 

Yeah its going to be too steep the way it is guess I will make a extension or use ramps, I took the 400EX up and it was not a problem a bit harry backing down hehe but doable .

Attachments:
Dsc02644.jpg
Dsc02644.jpg [ 60.69 KiB | Viewed 11070 times ]
Dsc02646.jpg
Dsc02646.jpg [ 49.95 KiB | Viewed 11069 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:28 pm 

This would be about the angle of the ramp with a 24" extension.

Attachments:
Dsc02648.jpg
Dsc02648.jpg [ 46.28 KiB | Viewed 11067 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:30 pm 

Here is the gate up using straps for a latch right now :-)

400EX looks happy

It started to rain again when I was taking pics so I didnt bother to try a Pilot.

Attachments:
Dsc02649.jpg
Dsc02649.jpg [ 48.83 KiB | Viewed 11047 times ]
Dsc02650.jpg
Dsc02650.jpg [ 63.35 KiB | Viewed 11047 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:31 pm 

If you add a flip out section that is narrower than the ramp, you could incorporate legs on either side that will support the two sections where they are hinged. You could make a large hinge out of a piece of pipe, fabricate the hinges out of fairly light steel, and use threaded end caps to hold the whole thing together. You could eaily disasemble in case you need repairs or to make more modifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:03 pm 

Hoser -

I came across this pic that might interest you. This guy used a winch mounted on the ceiling to raise and lower his ramp and then had a quick disconnect on it to move the cable out of the way.

Ted

Attachments:
22026.jpg
22026.jpg [ 33.06 KiB | Viewed 11007 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:59 pm 

I made a sheet metal pan for the toilet/shower, you will set on the toilet and take a shower, my moms RV is setup this way my RV had a set down shower too, need to build walls around it and add a floor drain, they sell fiberglass setups like this but they are not as big as I like so I went with the metal pan, the kitchen sink will be to the right of the bathroom above the sink will be the microwave.

Attachments:
Dsc02666.jpg
Dsc02666.jpg [ 35.87 KiB | Viewed 10962 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:01 pm 

Another view

Attachments:
Dsc02662.jpg
Dsc02662.jpg [ 55.25 KiB | Viewed 10960 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:15 am 

Obviously your not shy!

I would need at least a curtain!

LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:56 am 

litespeed wrote:
Obviously your not shy!

I would need at least a curtain!

LOL

Ok add walls to the cabinet list lmao, I was looking at base cabinets, sink base, need one 30" wide cant find anything nice around here in the 30" size, I want the one with the drawers not doors, maybe their is a better slection in your area or we can build one?

Buddy of mine says he has like 40 sheets of that white plastic stuff you put on walls think that will be ok for the shower wall?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: bump out
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:01 pm 

hey hoser have you thought of adding a bump out? i have a bump out on my 2004 coleman pop-up camper and it realy opens up the folor space. the part that bumps out is the dinning table and seats. mine is nothing fancy - its manually powered. the whole thing slides on rails. unlock the locks from the outside grab the handles and lift up an pull out until it locks. just thought i'd mention it. i'm sure you have a lot of ideas going on in your head.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: bump out
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:53 pm 

rmesser wrote:
hey hoser have you thought of adding a bump out? i have a bump out on my 2004 coleman pop-up camper and it realy opens up the folor space. the part that bumps out is the dinning table and seats. mine is nothing fancy - its manually powered. the whole thing slides on rails. unlock the locks from the outside grab the handles and lift up an pull out until it locks. just thought i'd mention it. i'm sure you have a lot of ideas going on in your head.

Yup I thought about it,, while I was at https://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/index.php picking up the other stuff I needed I even fondled the slide out hardware, I passed because on this conversion I want it fast basic and simple, the living area will be tight and cozy really only design for 2 men to occupy at one time, you could set 4 adults at the dinner table, you can sleep 4 adults 2 on the dinette that makes into a bed and 2 on the couch that makes into a bed granted you would not want to sleep 4 of your buddy's like that lmao but I will have fold down beds for guest in the back or they can sleep on a air mattress on the floor, the whole idea of small and simple is to promote MORE time outside hopefully riding, if we get bad weather and cant ride we always can pile in the back on lawn chairs to shelter from the weather, your right about one thing I have ideas rolling around in my pea brain each day I work on it I come up with another idea to add, yesterday I was thinking I could make a whole new one in my shop over the winter out of tube steel, have more storage space and more head room then next spring drag it out of the shop and cut off the whole back of the bus and drop it right on the frame...
I am already missing my bunk area over the front of the cab (could sleep 2 more people, more storage space) I would love to have a 6' 6" ceiling my old RV was 6' 3" this is 6' 2" in the center, I could easily add another 4 FEET off the back for a BIGGER garage... Oh the list is long and getting longer, the other day I was thinking "if I could find a wrecked 2wd duramax I could trans plant the Engine and trans into da bus and have all the power I need so you guys keep a eye out on one for me heh

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:12 pm 

6 new shoes for the bus woohoo!!!

Attachments:
Dsc02667.jpg
Dsc02667.jpg [ 71.77 KiB | Viewed 11018 times ]
Dsc02668.jpg
Dsc02668.jpg [ 57.86 KiB | Viewed 11018 times ]
Dsc02670.jpg
Dsc02670.jpg [ 51.41 KiB | Viewed 11018 times ]
Dsc02674.jpg
Dsc02674.jpg [ 57.65 KiB | Viewed 11018 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next