Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: pressing crank apart
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 pm 

speedchaser wrote:
I press this bugger apart
not bad to do I have pressed a lot harder thing

Speed

If you can mark the pins before you take them apart what I want to study is if their is more wear on one area of the pin than the other for example can you see more wear on the pin where it would show more thrust like during detonation when the piston is at about TDC (Top Dead Center) to just after TDC (Top Dead Center).

Now you taken one apart do you think its a big deal to press apart one side replace the bearing then press it back together again? I would like to chance the big end bearing as maintenance and when changing the crank bearings, or you think the pin is going to wear before the rollers? One area of concern on the bearing is the cage that holds the rollers compare the old cage with a new one, if the cage is wearing I think its worth just changing the bearing when ever you have the crank out?

Shipping two 350 cranks to you today...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 pm 

You know, a thought I had ( dreaming a little) if a guy had a couple of case that was damaged in the bottom and a way to machine out an offset pin and just a little longer rod. Um, long rod stroker with an 83 mm piston. That just may be the ticket reliable big bore power. I bet some one with great machining skills coulld do it. I just had to throw it out there. Lets see, 390 cc using a 250 r quality rod kit might work nicely. One might look over the 250 r atc/trx rods avalible since the 350 after market ones are not real relialble. Oh well, back to reality.

Sorry speed, I just can not get enough of your work. Nice job.

Post subject: Re: pressing crank apart
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm 

hoser wrote:
speedchaser wrote:
I press this bugger apart
not bad to do I have pressed a lot harder thing

Speed

If you can mark the pins before you take them apart what I want to study is if their is more wear on one area of the pin than the other for example can you see more wear on the pin where it would show more thrust like during detonation when the piston is at about TDC (Top Dead Center) to just after TDC (Top Dead Center).

Now you taken one apart do you think its a big deal to press apart one side replace the bearing then press it back together again? I would like to chance the big end bearing as maintenance and when changing the crank bearings, or you think the pin is going to wear before the rollers? One area of concern on the bearing is the cage that holds the rollers compare the old cage with a new one, if the cage is wearing I think its worth just changing the bearing when ever you have the crank out?

Shipping two 350 cranks to you today...

Yes It is wore on one side more then the other
Note I did not mark the rotation of the pin need to do that next time

the rod bore is wore Just as much as the pin too

the bearing cage is also wore sides

the shims are wore down .025 total

This is not a big deal to press apart the main thing is to get a bearing and thrust washers to replace I don't think you can just get a bearing ?

need to start a spec sheet for rods too soon

thanks Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:51 am 

Hoser I did mark it before I pressed it out

speed

Attachments:
File comment: the side with the arrow is the side that is wore the most
MVC-352XA.jpg [75.3 KiB]
Downloaded 166 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 am 

rod and bearing spec sheet

Attachments:
Rod and Bearing spec sheet Model (1).jpg [45.08 KiB]
Downloaded 160 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 am 

Found it here you go.

Attachments:
Bottom end.pdf [5.22 MiB]
Downloaded 361 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:56 am 

adnoh wrote:
You know, a thought I had ( dreaming a little) if a guy had a couple of case that was damaged in the bottom and a way to machine out an offset pin and just a little longer rod. Um, long rod stroker with an 83 mm piston. That just may be the ticket reliable big bore power. I bet some one with great machining skills coulld do it. I just had to throw it out there. Lets see, 390 cc using a 250 r quality rod kit might work nicely. One might look over the 250 r atc/trx rods avalible since the 350 after market ones are not real relialble. Oh well, back to reality.

That would be cool I have a spare set of cases, not sure if the cases are thick enough you could trench them to provide clearance for the rod.

That 410cc Nukem has runs really good it would be a good one to copy...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:32 pm 

hoser wrote:
adnoh wrote:

That would be cool I have a spare set of cases, not sure if the cases are thick enough you could trench them to provide clearance for the rod.

That 410cc Nukem has runs really good it would be a good one to copy...

hey, I am all for this idea...I have a spare set of cases as well .

oh and very nice speed . .. your machining skill makes me jealous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:02 pm 

I would bet Nukem has a handle on it and probbly already done it. His 350 knowlegde has great depth. Looking forward to an LS ride with him and pick his brain. Heck, I'll supply the cold ones for the input. Once speed get those cranks done There will be a lot more happy 350 on the dunes and trails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:05 pm 

Speed, can I send a 350 crank and a Tecate crank over please?no rush on either at all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:11 pm 

viewtopic.php?t=7181&highlight=

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:42 pm 

redskinman crank rebuild

viewtopic.php?t=7185

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:23 pm 

More crankshaft rebuilding info

http://www.rrracing.co.nz/crank

Crank rebuild

Attachments:
Alphacrankreconditioning.pdf [649.65 KiB]
Downloaded 189 times
crankshaft-rebuild-guide.pdf [2.27 MiB]
Downloaded 200 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 pm 

hey Speedchaser,

I just got an FL350 and the crank rod has a lot of up and down play. Do you know what part number from Vesrah, Pro-X, or Hot Rods crank rod will work for it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:58 pm 

Nevermind found it, no one wanted to give up the part numbers. LAME! Correct me if I'm wrong but its the same Honda part number as an ATC 250 R 81-84 for the Connecting Rod.

It would be Hot Rod part number 8160. Retail $96.95

Vesrah Part number VA-1006, Retail $91.95

I'm going to order the Hot Rod and see if it works out. I read from Hoser that there is a 30% rejection rate right out of the box or something?? I have a Hot Rod crank on my 06 CRF450R and it works great. I'm willing to try their crank rod.

Speedchaser... Did you ever get an FL350 crank built and up and running?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:18 pm 

ridethedesert wrote:
Nevermind found it, no one wanted to give up the part numbers. LAME! Correct me if I'm wrong but its the same Honda part number as an ATC 250 R 81-84 for the Connecting Rod.

I'm going to order the Hot Rod and see if it works out. I read from Hoser that there is a 30% rejection rate right out of the box or something?? I have a Hot Rod crank on my 06 CRF450R and it works great. I'm willing to try their crank rod.

yes done a few
look for a prox for a cr250 they seem to be the best and the wright trust washers

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7184&hilit=rod

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7181&hilit=rod

good read http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7185&hilit=rod

SpeedChaser :-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:18 pm 

speedchaser wrote:
ridethedesert wrote:

yes done a few
look for a prox for a cr250 they seem to be the best and the wright trust washers

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7184&hilit=rod

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7181&hilit=rod

good read http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7185&hilit=rod

SpeedChaser :-)

What about the right pin length?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 pm 

so the Hot Rods 8160 works, just not as well as the Pro-X 03.1315?

Did the Engine run well with the Hot Rod installed?

That's frustrating there is no correct pin length.

Well I ordered both 8160 & 03.1315 and going to compare them side by side with the original rod to decide.

I think you pretty much convinced me to go with the Pro-X though. Thanks for the info guys! This has been a learning experience, but a good one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 am 

Hoser are you interested in this crank press fixture if so Pm me

it has the bushing for the 350 and 400 and the TECATE T-3

Speed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:17 pm 

speedchaser wrote:
Hoser are you interested in this crank press fixture if so Pm me

it has the bushing for the 350 and 400 and the TECATE T-3

Speed

YES and No
Currently have no press well actually I do have a press a friend gave me just have not moved it onto my shop yet, the press also does not work we think it just has a air bubble in the system some place it did not work when he got it we assume someone laid it on its side to transport? Maybe it needs all the internal seals and rings replaced.

I also lack the confidence in rebuilding them, never done one, never seen one done, so really rather not mess with them perhaps all I need is to make a road trip to your place and you train me? I have been meaning to contact you I have 3 maybe 4 crankshafts for you to rebuild, two Pilot cranks one FL350 crank one FL250 crank I have the rods for all 4 just need to contact you then ship.

Noticed you have not been around much lately figured your busy so didnt want to bother you, I would like to get these cranks rebuild soon tho.

I also want to get my other lathe setup with a fixture so I can deck the FL350 cylinders to bring the squish back closer to what it really should be, so I can machine the stock FL350 heads, so I can hold the Pilot and FL250 cylinders in the lathe to cut the groove required to install sleeves in the cylinders, I have 4-5 cylinders I want to sleeve unless I can convince you to do them will also ship these :-)

Are you making a liquid cooled head for the FL350 yet I would like to see a RANDS type head with a replaceable dome you have time for the project?

Seen this post earlier and was going to shoot you a email to alert you on my next shop break was also going to include the above info in the email, you have since replied so email averted.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

hoser wrote:
Are you making a liquid cooled head for the FL350 yet I would like to see a RANDS type head with a replaceable dome you have time for the project?

I second this. I would love to have one!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm 

Nelly wrote:
hoser wrote:

Hillside Honda sells one but was thinking something that is not made from gold and a simple basic design viewtopic.php?t=506

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 pm 

hoser wrote:
Nelly wrote:
hoser wrote:

Hillside Honda sells one but was thinking something that is not made from gold and a simple basic design viewtopic.php?t=506" ."..

Is the Hillside head even still available?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 am 

Nelly, I talked to Trevor from Browns R+D in January and he said he still had 2 available. This is what I had planned on buying before I found my topend.

http://brownsrd.com/community/index.php ... =view;id=7

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 am 

Fatcat wrote:
Nelly, I talked to Trevor from Browns R+D in January and he said he still had 2 available. This is what I had planned on buying before I found my topend.

http://brownsrd.com/community/index.php ... =view;id=7" ."..

Awesome, thanks for the link!

Profile E-mail