Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stadium lite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 pm 

new chevy's get near 20 mpg!!! old chevy diesels are problematic and underpowered, at best...
ford 7.3 great motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), but not rebuildable... no sleeves! ford 6.0 said to be junk...
dodge cumming might be best choice motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) wise???
mpg wise new chevy...

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
wHat kind of diesel you have that only gets 10 mpg?
I'm looking at buying a used diesel to pull the toyhauler with!

nickRNR wrote:
Yeah, I am just pulling your chain. Home ownership sucks some times. Endless projects, maintainance, yard work, paint, the list can go on as long as you can imagine. I am in the same boat as far as the racing bit goes, I need quite a bit of stuff to be "race legal," working on window nets through turbotaxes, would need a fire suit, harness, not to mention entry fees, the list goes on. I was contemplating driving out to AZ for some of the races, but it is around 350 miles depending on which track and that is a lot for me to do, heavy fuel cost pulling the toy hauler, diesel is at $4.09/gal here, my truck gets about 10mpg if I drive conservatively (55mph and slow on the hills). It is a high cost for me. But one day I will do it.

Here is my thoughts on your idea, I would wait to see what the price of diesel does with this middle east thing, back before and during the gulf war 1 I owned a diesel blazer diesel fuel was always cheaper than gas before the war, during and after the war diesel was more than gas their was time during the war where diesel went so high it was more cost effective to drive my gas blazer than the diesel so I parked it and drove the gas, you also have to factor in maintenance and repair cost on the diesel will be at least 2x more than your current gas truck, not sure if insurance cost will go up that much, once you crunch the numbers you might find out 6mpg in current truck is a deal.

Their is nothing cheap about owning a diesel truck or car so many hidden cost and extra maintenance cost, my diesel experience GREAT I bought mine for 2500.00 when it was still worth 6400.00 this was back when a diesel truck or blazer was a joke and they could not give them away, I put over 100k miles on it and probably no more than 500 bux into maintenance and repairs I got real lucky, I have many friends with diesels they bought them when the economy was good and they were the craze and the majority are money pits I doubt I will see many buy a second one time will tell.

If I had a toy hauler like yours and was going to put more than 8k tow miles on it a year I would be buying a used diesel truck but I would not be putting more than 2-3k non towing miles on it a year to keep the value up and to extend its life.

Come on LOTTO I want one of them new Chevy 1 ton 4x4 crew cab dualys with the 760 ft lbs torque :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm 

Agreed, the Detroit 6.5 chevy used to use had a problem with blowing head gaskets, they were really under powered, and bad mileage too. The 6.6 duramax is, IMO, the best motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) available for light duty trucks today.

Ford, 7.3 was used for years, would run forever, slightly under powered but a great motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). 6.0's had more power, but the turbos liked to scatter and destroy the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). don't even get me started on the 6.4 twin turbo POS, 7mpg, over heating issues, total garbage. don't know much about the new 6.7.

Dodge, the 5.9 cummins is a workhorse, good power, mileage, reliablilty, but I don't really care for the rest of the truck. I also hear the new 6.7 cummins is a good motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:07 pm 

We got the Dodge 6.7 bluetec Engine in our 08 work truck. Very quiet Engine, doesnt even smell like a diesel. I have put close to 100,000 miles on in 3 years with ZERO issues. 17-19 MPG average, low 20s if you drive highway and the speedlimit...hard for me to do. hehehe Forgot to plug the block heater in and still fired right up in -30 temps. It has 650 ftlbs torque and pulls great. Rides like the Chevys,... like a car. Ours is a megacab so you can recline in the back seat and nap. I think my next diesel will be one of these. I do not care for the 08 front ends but do like the new ones...especially the built in cargo doors in the bed sides...great idea!

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:37 am 

What exactly is a "Bluetec?" I have seen the emblem on the trucks, but don't really know what it means.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:55 am 

Howd we get from this awesome picture of a race car and stories from some of the biggest names in stadium lites to comparing station wagons? :-)

Attachments:
DSCI0079.JPG [108.31 KiB]
Downloaded 105 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:46 am 

bullnerd wrote:
Howd we get from this awesome picture of a race car and stories from some of the biggest names in stadium lites to comparing station wagons? :-)

Oh hush puppy! How do you get a race car to a race, a mini van?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 am 

bullnerd wrote:

don't worry I ill go back in a few days and delete all the off topic replies after they have read them all, I was waiting for the racing conversation to start again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:49 am 

nickRNR wrote:
What exactly is a "Bluetec?" I have seen the emblem on the trucks, but don't really know what it means.

Its thier version of a "clean " burning diesel. Doesnt smoke. Cat has a reburn/self cleaning system when soot builds up. You have to run the ultra sulfer free diesel...but they have removed so much of the lubricating properties from the ultra diesel that you have to add the diesel additives now... way to go goverment policies(F'n EPA). Sorry,rant off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:12 am 

afastcar wrote:
peterkay11 wrote:
Ok, let’s start off by saying Hi to everyone. I am new to this great site thank you Mr. Hoser. First off I would like to say RICK YOU ARE A STAND UP GUY IN MY BOOK, ANY TIME YOU NEED HELP CALL ME. And yes I will bring Doug that guy that everyone loves right? There is a little history there that someone needs to call Rennie. Ha-ha. Rick we all agreed you did a great job of driving for your first time out with a Hangover. Next time I will bring milk for you with your dinner. Also I hope we didn’t bore you with our old war stories. Seeing how you only heard half of them, we knew you needed your sleep that’s why we shut it down at 2AM. You need to remember old guys don’t require a lot of sleep . Hopefully I will have all three of my cars there next race. Two to race, one to sell. And hopefully Doug will bring his two cars also. If we can’t find any drivers for them, the OLD guys will have to race (Doug and I), and let me remind you that rubbing is racing and I would hold off painting that car until you get more seat time. And we are very thankful that you bought Todd’s car because he’s one hell of driver and nearly impossible to beat. Only because he is 20 years younger than us. Great job Rick, lets see if we can get more cars out to the track. I have made some calls already. P.S. When we show up, you are going to learn how to drive in traffic…Thanks PK

welcome to the board Peter,

I would be very interested in racing in one of your stadium lights, would you be interested in renting one? on top of rent I would pay all fuel, tires, maintenance, and for any parts and labor if I crash or break something, I have rode or raced Pilots with allot of members on this board and hope they would vouch for me........... if its something you would be interested in I can PM you my number or Rick (slickrick) could just pass it on to you, hope not to offend you or be to forward and I hope we can work something out.

Jacob

Please forgive me for the late post. Jake/afastcar is a stand up guy, up front and honest. He has my stamp of approval. Afastcar is extremely knowledgeable and has a racing background. It would also be nice to kick his ass on the track and have something to brag about on the forum. So Pete, Doug if you need a driver afastcars yours man. Who knows after he races we might have to change his name to aslowcar.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 am 

Afastfart?!?! LOL I would come out there and give a good spankin to all ya, but ya see, I got this injury to my VAG area....prevents me from traveling 350 miles to spend $$$ and whoop up on foo's I aint seen in over a year (or two)...ya dig?.....PBR 4EVER slickie rickie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:30 pm 

I hope you all beat me I just want to be competitive.

Wait I need something to race :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:17 pm 

This car is now for sale 15500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 pm 

WHAAA?

Does Shoubadaba know?

You done racing or trading up?

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 pm 

I plan on buying an sr1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:39 pm 

Trading up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:47 pm 

I can understand that,larger class to race with.

Congratulations,please keep us up to speed on your SR1 journey.

Look what it did for Corry Weller!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:51 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
I can understand that,larger class to race with.

Congratulations,please keep us up to speed on your SR1 journey.

Look what it did for Corry Weller!

Lmao

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:00 am 

((Bad Word))!

I got all excited to see the stadium lite thread I totally missed it was this dick head spammer!