Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger airbox
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:47 pm 

Due to space constraints, Alain puts the stock GSXR airbox on the Tigers backwards. The airbox is designed to have air rammed into it and I got to wondering if there is some alternative. Went to the local bike shop and got these K&Ns. It appears that the mass air sensors pickup is down inside the the throttle bodies. I know that many airboxes are designed to provide both flow and a bit of reserve air for when you punch the throttle, is there any other issue that I should be thinking of?

Attachments:
sensor.jpg
sensor.jpg [ 142.47 KiB | Viewed 3609 times ]
twinfilters.jpg
twinfilters.jpg [ 153.5 KiB | Viewed 3609 times ]
throttlebodies.jpg
throttlebodies.jpg [ 146.85 KiB | Viewed 3609 times ]
stockairbox.jpg
stockairbox.jpg [ 178.88 KiB | Viewed 3609 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:28 pm 

drakman, there is a few places that sell billet housings for filters, they include a mount for the sensor, it relocates it inbetween the cnter two outside the filters, is it maf, or ambient air temp sensor? granted we are dealing with sperate yrs, so i am not posative...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:32 pm 

and actually i am short the sensor that goes in the airbox, you are saying that one there goes down in the t boddies, can you take another pic in perspective to were its located, i am not 100 percent what sensor i need, i think is the ambient air tho...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:43 pm 

If you look at the pic titled sensor, it will show the sensors I am talking about, see the rubber hose in my hand, it is connected to all four throttle bodies, in each of them is a small probe that is connected to the rubber hose that I am holding, the end of the hose has a connector that will connect to the bike's wiring harness. Did any of that make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:44 pm 

Is this the type of housing you are talking about? I found this on a mini sprint parts page.

Attachments:
602-620-m.jpeg
602-620-m.jpeg [ 5.78 KiB | Viewed 3580 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:47 pm 

Here is another one made by 'Kinser', they seem to specialize in Legends and outlaws

Attachments:
kinser_air_minisprint.jpg
kinser_air_minisprint.jpg [ 12.28 KiB | Viewed 3579 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:43 pm 

i got you now, im not sure if i got that or not i will have to do some checking, i know i got the 4 vac lines tho into one.. but yes housing like them, i think i will run the filters like you have there tho, 250 bux for some aluminum, wtf...how much were just the 2 filters? and in the aluminum one you can see a small hole, that's were the airbox sensor mounts i believe...but that can easily be made out of some flat stock....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:57 pm 

Ok, i should have a sensor at the end of the vac lines then correct?

Attachments:
bugtbody.jpg
bugtbody.jpg [ 192.41 KiB | Viewed 3554 times ]
bugtbody1.jpg
bugtbody1.jpg [ 224.07 KiB | Viewed 3554 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:58 pm 

What is that Throttle body off of, and what are you putting it into?

I think/guess that the vacuum lines on both should work about the same.

That Kinser filter setup is about 175, a lot less than the other one. Their main claim to fame is that the Kinser allows air to be sucked directly down into the intake, where the other one the air comes in from the sides and then is sucked down into the intake, their argument seems to make sense to me. One thing I am trying to avoid it all the hot air associated with the radiator, may need to do some ducting to avoid that situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:23 pm 

sorry, i thought you already new, it is a 2002 gsxr 600, it is in my car... i did not get a stock air box with it, as i didnt know at the time there was a sensor in it and or the rubber grommets, so i told the guy i didnt need it to reduce the shipping size. so i need a filter thet will fit directly to the t bodies, well the hyper racing ones need the stock box rubber parts to put inside there aluminum housing.. also what was the price of the filters that you bought, if i was to go that route, i could build a large cup so the air pulled from above...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:57 pm 

drakman, i have been researching, i am going to buy a stock air box, get one for 35.00 bux on ebey, it does contain 2 sensors, as i surely will need both of them, cost 5x that much new probbaly, i may even keep the stock box in place ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:03 pm 

bugpac wrote:
drakman, i have been researching, i am going to buy a stock air box, get one for 35.00 bux on ebey, it does contain 2 sensors, as i surely will need both of them, cost 5x that much new probbaly, i may even keep the stock box in place ..

That is probably a good decision, ours will have the stock air boxes, I am just trying to see if I can improve the situation.

The filters in the picture were from a mechanic at the local bike shop, an old pair he had under his bench. I gave him 20 bux for them. They are a loose fit, and since I don't know what all sensors I may need, this is only a beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:08 pm 

cool, i think i will be set once i get them two sensors... i will at least start there with the box, if possible any better pics of the radiator setup in the tigers? and you got a del date yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:58 pm 

At this point, completion is around Halloween.

Attachments:
radiatorrear.jpg
radiatorrear.jpg [ 179.8 KiB | Viewed 3515 times ]
radiatorleftside.jpg
radiatorleftside.jpg [ 177.33 KiB | Viewed 3515 times ]
radiatorfront.jpg
radiatorfront.jpg [ 194.9 KiB | Viewed 3515 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:10 pm 

hmmm, don't by chance know the maker do you, it looks as if it is a small car rad, no cap, that's about perfect size for me as well, the reservoir would be easy part, just hard to find car rad as most don't give dimensions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:53 am 

bugpac wrote:
hmmm, don't by chance know the maker do you, it looks as if it is a small car rad, no cap, that's about perfect size for me as well, the reservoir would be easy part, just hard to find car rad as most don't give dimensions...

On my last Drak, I was having overheating problems after I added the turbo. After a lot of messing around, I had a radiator made up for it. It was almost the same dimensions as a VW Scirroco, but was twice as thick, about 3 inches. You might try the Scirroco route, a lot of racers use them, you can probably find both originals and aftermarket improved versions. Check ebay and some of the sites for drag racing parts.