Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:37 pm 

The latest.....

I talked to Rockport, they have concluded that this truck was built with taller walls than normal, it was in their order, however, the guy I got the parts from didn't realize the impact of this.

The bottom line is that they don't have one to fit my truck, they are very apologetic and immediately informed me they would refund my money, this was without my even asking them to do so. They are also sending me parts to put it back together the way it originally came.

Although this didn't work out the way I had planned, I must give Rockport highest marks for customer service. They made a mistake, admitted it, made a refund, and are even spending more to send me more parts at no cost.

In addition to this, they told me to keep both air dams and see if I can sell them, and if I do, I am to keep the money!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:48 pm 

Drakman wrote:
The latest.....

I talked to Rockport, they have concluded that this truck was built with taller walls than normal, it was in their order, however, the guy I got the parts from didn't realize the impact of this.

The bottom line is that they don't have one to fit my truck, they are very apologetic and immediately informed me they would refund my money, this was without my even asking them to do so. They are also sending me parts to put it back together the way it originally came.

Although this didn't work out the way I had planned, I must give Rockport highest marks for customer service. They made a mistake, admitted it, made a refund, and are even spending more to send me more parts at no cost.

In addition to this, they told me to keep both air dams and see if I can sell them, and if I do, I am to keep the money!

Nice someone that pays for their own mistakes, it sucks you cant get one to fit, now is time to see if you can get these modified to fit at boat or body shop?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:00 pm 

hoser wrote:
Drakman wrote:
The latest.....

Nice someone that pays for their own mistakes, it sucks you cant get one to fit, now is time to see if you can get these modified to fit at boat or body shop?

That is what I am thinking of doing, maybe the cost of doing that will be in line with what I expected to pay in the beginning.

BTW, when did you add spell check?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm 

Drakman wrote:
hoser wrote:
Drakman wrote:
The latest.....

That is what I am thinking of doing, maybe the cost of doing that will be in line with what I expected to pay in the beginning.

What spell checker?

What browser are you using, I use Firefox and it checks your spelling as you type.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:13 pm 

BTW, when did you add spell check?[/quote]

What spell checker?

What browser are you using, I use Firefox and it checks your spelling as you type.[/quote]

Just recently it started underlining mis-spelled words, this is just in last day or two. I also use Firefox, and have for quite a long time. Don't know if it my computer doing it or..........duh.....I just installed an update a day or two ago.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:20 pm 

Drakman wrote:

What spell checker?

What browser are you using, I use Firefox and it checks your spelling as you type.[/quote]

Just recently it started underlining mis-spelled words, this is just in last day or two. I also use Firefox, and have for quite a long time. Don't know if it my computer doing it or..........duh.....I just installed an update a day or two ago.....[/quote]

Its the upgrade !

Nice huh...

Lee just updated his too :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:44 pm 

Jerry, I had a thought... LOOK OUT!!! LOL but when I saw your pictures of the front radius removed I wondered why they did that??? The Cab and the frieght box are two seperate pieces... Attach the Fairing onto the cab only!!! this way when you are in rough country the flex will not break the fairing!!!

Attachments:
Web 4x4jag002.jpg
Web 4x4jag002.jpg [ 75.04 KiB | Viewed 5030 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:43 pm 

So rockport has assisited you-I live on the east coast is there anything I could possible help you with by chance?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:49 pm 

Thanks guys, I've been gone a couple of days, hope to get back to work on it late next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:38 am 

OK, Ted was here yesterday, so he helped me put the short one up in place to look at possible alternatives.

As you can see, the cap is about six inches short.

I am thinking of a couple of possibilities, Ted thinks I should have the front portion of the roof tilted down to meet the cap.

I still have the tall cap, thinking of maybe using the top portion of it to finish off up to the roof of the box. Or, and everyone is still trying to talk me out of this, is to cut the side walls down and lower the roof on the box to match the cap.

Attachments:
File comment: Actually drove it this way for about five miles, wasn't too bad either.
DSCN2961.JPG
DSCN2961.JPG [ 175.91 KiB | Viewed 4851 times ]
File comment: As you can see, it is permanently attached...well, not really, but the duck tape seems to hold it in place pretty well, while I think of possibilities.
DSCN2962.JPG
DSCN2962.JPG [ 177.12 KiB | Viewed 4852 times ]
File comment: Here you can see the two caps, thinking of taking the top section of the taller one and adding it to the shorter one to make it fit the roof of the box.
DSCN2954.JPG
DSCN2954.JPG [ 168.8 KiB | Viewed 4851 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:46 am 

Looks like 8 more rolls of duct tape and you could make the transition and it will fit?

I bet a good glass guy could make it fit?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Dam fit.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:22 pm 

Jerry, just put a 6" body lift on the cab like the 4x4 guys do.

Seriously though if it were mine I'd settle for what benifit I'd get from the short one & leave it alone.

I don't think that last 6" is going to effect your mileage that much and it looks fine.

Just put some clearance lights in the front of the box to dress it up.

Post subject: Re: Dam fit.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:41 pm 

Toyman wrote:
Jerry, just put a 6" body lift on the cab like the 4x4 guys do.

Seriously though if it were mine I'd settle for what benifit I'd get from the short one & leave it alone.

I don't think that last 6" is going to effect your mileage that much and it looks fine.

Just put some clearance lights in the front of the box to dress it up.

I agree completely. Put the old roundie (LOL) thing back on and add the short fairing and be done with it. Couldn't be any simpler could it?

And where would the world be with out duct tape I often ponder........

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:41 pm 

from my view point...
Put the sheetmetal radius rolled piece back in... at the top. and then trim the top of the fiberglass to butt up against that and be done. The top radius piece will help with airflow... and keep water tight also... dropping the roof will be more work than you want to do!!! and the cost benifit will never be regained...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:13 pm 

like this...

Attachments:
File comment: re-install sheetmetal radius, then trim this...
Web drakman.jpg
Web drakman.jpg [ 28.69 KiB | Viewed 4950 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:05 pm 

Mabye look for a specilized trailer repair shop, like the kind that repair the TNT, NBC, ETC trailers that broadcast sporting event trucks, we have some locally here in NJ and that's all they do-hope this helps you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:35 am 

Drakman wrote:
The latest.....

Dude. I have seen and read enough of this. I think you need to try and get the box back to normal with the original aluminum front piece and whatever else it takes. Then you might want to take the original air damm and cut it down from the bottom off it and attach it to the roof of the cab only. One thing about boat places, they are skilled at what they do and aren't cheap but they may feel bad for you and help you sort the mess out. Best of luck.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:34 pm 

OK, I got motivated by all the naysayers. My brother in law and his son helped me chop the top on the truck today.

This is how it started this morning.

Attachments:
in the beginning.jpg
in the beginning.jpg [ 112.9 KiB | Viewed 5044 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:36 pm 

Then this

Attachments:
the beginning.jpg
the beginning.jpg [ 122.7 KiB | Viewed 5042 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:36 pm 

next step

Attachments:
door removed and ready to cut down.jpg
door removed and ready to cut down.jpg [ 143.19 KiB | Viewed 4847 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:37 pm 

and then

Attachments:
cutting down the track.jpg
cutting down the track.jpg [ 153.1 KiB | Viewed 4846 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:38 pm 

cut down rear pillars

Attachments:
cut out seven inches.jpg
cut out seven inches.jpg [ 66.19 KiB | Viewed 5037 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:39 pm 

cutting down the side walls

Attachments:
cutting the side wall.jpg
cutting the side wall.jpg [ 109.8 KiB | Viewed 5036 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:40 pm 

Seven inches of open space

Attachments:
roof propped up.jpg
roof propped up.jpg [ 99.64 KiB | Viewed 5036 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:41 pm 

Air space gone, top chopped seven inches

Attachments:
chopped top.jpg
chopped top.jpg [ 106.86 KiB | Viewed 5034 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next