Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaking of toter trucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:20 pm 

A few days ago there was a discussion of toter trucks, here is one I came across that is an interesting idea of how to do a toter/hauler/sleeper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 324wt_1167" ."..

Or, here is a completely different idea. I don't know anything about these, but this one seems real cheap, maybe Turbo would know more about this type of truck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 500wt_1182

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:35 pm 

I have seen a bunch of them on the road over the years they are a nice setup and make nice haulers surprised to see that one whit only 116k miles must have been used privately.

One of the options I had for the bus (still could happen) was to shorten up the bus and turn it into something like that hauler just have a back seat for a few passengers then a flat bed setup to bumper pull or 5th wheel haul trailers, only problem with this plan is it requires me to spend 20k on a toy hauler lol Especially with fuel cost and my dumb obsession to drive so far to ride I need to keep my initial cost low as I can or I will be stuck at home.

Interested to see how much this one sells for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 pm 

The top link is a sharp ride!! I always wanted on like this when I was rodeoing for a living! Sleeper and a truck to haul a trailer... I wonder what kinda MPG it would get pulling my toyhauler???

The second link is an "expediter truck" probably has a lot of miles on it... Used to run as a team truck, meaning always going... I would want to take the box off and put a hitch on the back of it...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
The top link is a sharp ride!! I always wanted on like this when I was rodeoing for a living! Sleeper and a truck to haul a trailer... I wonder what kinda MPG it would get pulling my toyhauler???

The second link is an "expediter truck" probably has a lot of miles on it... Used to run as a team truck, meaning always going... I would want to take the box off and put a hitch on the back of it...

I wouldn't expect the Ford with the 460 to get very good mileage, in the 70's I had two different Lincolns with them, neither of them got very good mileage, but they were the beginning of the EPA engines, maybe they got a bit better as time went on.

The expediter is basically a semi, I thought they were supposed to be good for a million miles, this one has 300,000, is that considered worn out? Also, my understanding is that a fully loaded semi will make between 5 to 7 MPG. If loaded much lighter like this would be, would it get much better mileage?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:38 pm 

Drakman wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

I wouldn't expect the Ford with the 460 to get very good mileage, in the 70's I had two different Lincolns with them, neither of them got very good mileage, but they were the beginning of the EPA engines, maybe they got a bit better as time went on.

The expediter is basically a semi, I thought they were supposed to be good for a million miles, this one has 300,000, is that considered worn out? Also, my understanding is that a fully loaded semi will make between 5 to 7 MPG. If loaded much lighter like this would be, would it get much better mileage?

I have talked to guys that made haulers out of semis if you pick the right Engine trans gear combo some are getting as much as 12 mph towing a 8-10k trailer at hwy speeds, buy a semi that has a 450 hp Engine and is setup to haul 100k lbs for life expect to get 6-8 mpg, first thing they do is remove one of the drive axles this removes bunch of weigh you don't need.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:19 pm 

hoser wrote:
Drakman wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

I have talked to guys that made haulers out of semis if you pick the right Engine trans gear combo some are getting as much as 12 mph towing a 8-10k trailer at hwy speeds, buy a semi that has a 450 hp Engine and is setup to haul 100k lbs for life expect to get 6-8 mpg, first thing they do is remove one of the drive axles this removes bunch of weigh you don't need.

My thought on the expediter was that it could be used much as it is, strap a generator and some water tanks under the box, cut a couple of windows, put a side access door, maybe spiff up the inside with a kitchen and bath at the very front and go riding. Since it should still have about 20' of open cargo space, a trailer would rarely be needed.

Part of the idea to make it an RV, is that it then doesn't require a special driver's license, or stopping at the various ports of entry or weigh stations. I don't know about other states, but in Colorado, I was able to register the box truck that I converted by having several of the RV features such as water, heat, air conditioning, porta pottie, and a bed in it. I took the paperwork to a regular dealer had them certify that what it had in, got a weight slip and licensed it as a motorhome which made the insurance cheaper also.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:28 pm 

Drakman wrote:
hoser wrote:
Drakman wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

My thought on the expediter was that it could be used much as it is, strap a generator and some water tanks under the box, cut a couple of windows, put a side access door, maybe spiff up the inside with a kitchen and bath at the very front and go riding. Since it should still have about 20' of open cargo space, a trailer would rarely be needed.

Part of the idea to make it an RV, is that it then doesn't require a special driver's license, or stopping at the various ports of entry or weigh stations. I don't know about other states, but in Colorado, I was able to register the box truck that I converted by having several of the RV features such as water, heat, air conditioning, porta pottie, and a bed in it. I took the paperwork to a regular dealer had them certify that what it had in, got a weight slip and licensed it as a motorhome which made the insurance cheaper also.

I have seen them expediter type trucks go for 4-5k I have all the RV stuff I need just need to pull the trigger buy one and transfer it from the bus lol

I found them doing a search for "box truck" first thing I would do is register as a RV when I had the title work done lady at title place don't care, no inspections required just do it, HOWEVER she did say if its not a RV and you get stopped on the interstate better have a LOT of money because excuses wont go anyplace, if I titled it as RV before I took it on the first trip it would meet the requirements :-)

Tires on the bus are the same size as on that truck and like new...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:18 pm 

you are right the gearing and motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) make a big difference in MPG's... I didnt read the whole add so I never saw the 300,000 miles...
A lot of Pro Rodeo cowboys are using the FL70 from frieghtliner now as a hauler to pull there horse trailers... I don't know what kind of hp or mpg these get though...

Profile E-mail