Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof air conditioner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:46 pm 

With warmer weather coming, I decided to put an air conditioner on the truck.

Cut a hole and put it up on top, duh....the rafters we not strong enough to support it very well. So, I had to re-frame the whole roof. It originally had five rafters plus the front and rear pieces, it now has nine. In the center under the unit, I really added more than what was probably necessary, but now for sure it won't sag.

Then, I added a fantastic vent and insulated it. I hope to have a ceiling installed in the next few days.

It will be nice to have air again at Little Sahara, as I expect it to get pretty warm there when we are there in a couple of weeks.

Attachments:
sagging roof.JPG
sagging roof.JPG [ 347.95 KiB | Viewed 4719 times ]
newly framed roof.JPG
newly framed roof.JPG [ 347.65 KiB | Viewed 4720 times ]
roof air.JPG
roof air.JPG [ 352.17 KiB | Viewed 4719 times ]
insulated.JPG
insulated.JPG [ 364.3 KiB | Viewed 4720 times ]
fantastic vent.JPG
fantastic vent.JPG [ 378.77 KiB | Viewed 4719 times ]
rear view.JPG
rear view.JPG [ 469.61 KiB | Viewed 4719 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:06 pm 

A/C will be nice, what will you put over the insulation to hold it up?

You need to put a smiley face on the spare tire...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:21 pm 

hoser wrote:
A/C will be nice, what will you put over the insulation to hold it up?

You need to put a smiley face on the spare tire...

Just a nice grade of 3/8ths plywood and then paint it.

Maybe I need to have my daughter embroider "Drakman" on the spare cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:21 pm 

A/C cool! What, Ted pilot won't share. I do not remember the spare tire before. New? Where is all the tools laid out real nice and neat. Be sure to have the cold one in the right place or turbo will let you know. You should have the tiger painted on back of cover. I had my truck painted on mine when I had the Jimmy It was called stump jumper so I had it painted with the front of the truck jumping over a stump. They used a vinal paint that was elastic and lasted longer then the tuck. Lucky man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:27 pm 

adnoh wrote:
A/C cool! What, Ted pilot won't share. I do not remember the spare tire before. New? Where is all the tools laid out real nice and neat. Be sure to have the cold one in the right place or turbo will let you know. You should have the tiger painted on back of cover. I had my truck painted on mine when I had the Jimmy It was called stump jumper so I had it painted with the front of the truck jumping over a stump. They used a vinal paint that was elastic and lasted longer then the tuck. Lucky man.

I've been known to snore just a little bit, actually, more than a little bit. Also the combined space of his trailer and the truck is about equal to what I had in the trailer before.

How did they do the painting, free hand or using a photo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:27 am 

find something lighter than thick plywood!!! it will add more weight than needed and drop your MPG... that white vinyl stuff they use in some bathrooms comes to mind

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:14 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
find something lighter than thick plywood!!! it will add more weight than needed and drop your MPG... that white vinyl stuff they use in some bathrooms comes to mind

NO!

Wood and paint, maybe 1/4" plywood, that white vinyl stuff was not design for ceilings or ceilings that bounce down the hwy and huge temperature changes, freezing to over 100 degrees...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:34 pm 

I put 11/32nds plywood up today, the 1/4 seemed too flimsy for the application, comparing them, it was just a little bit thicker and heavier, and a LOT stronger. Too tired to take pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:25 pm 

No pictures?? Well, when you get some energy back tomorrow post them up...can't wait to see the progress!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:30 pm 

Is that close to 3/8 I,am not real good with fractions. If you where tired should have kicked on A/C and had a cold one. Now that's a pic. Better yet sitting in the tiger haveing a cold one. Sounds like "H"need a cold on that was a big NO he threw out there or has someone leanred the hard way. What was the font size on that. Rest up Drakman, LS is coming up soon and it's a long drive for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:30 pm 

How are we going to all fit in this little truck is my question??? I guess I could curl up under the tiger like a gaurd dog??? LOL
How are you going to power the AC Drak??? I realise LS has plugs but have you looked at a genset? That is what I am using on the big truck, and it can be bothersome... changing oil, dragging gas across the parking lot etc...
Adnoh what do you know about power inverters? I am thinking of buying a set of gell cell batteries, and then my options are to buy a plug in electrical battery charger/tender, or to get an inverter with a 20 charge cord in it to plug directly to batteries... My concern with the built in charger is thaat It won't shut off if the batteries are fully charged, but if ac s running then it should be ok??? If I turn ac of but not inverter, then I cook batteries... or the plug into charger like in the garage that will be powered by the inverter, will this cause any feedback issues??? A few I have talked to say they are not having problems with this setup??? which is safer/ more effecient???

http://www.lanescarproducts.com/vector- ... erter.html
then plug in a batterycharger to keep batteries charged...

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/3000-Watt-Power-Inv ... m153.l1262

and this states I have to plug it in to the house circuit... I want to plug it right back into the inverter itself??? do you see what I am asking???
Drak I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but hopes this helps you also!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:09 pm 

I think his plan is to use park power where available. When that is not available he has a generator but not sure where he would carry it. As for packing all the stuff in? He's gotten very good over the years bringing what is needed and squishing it all in to just the right spot. It is amazing to see what you really use and need when you go camping. Some things are certainly nice but a lot of it never makes it out of the bags they came in. Simple is better a lot of the time and weighs less too. This next trip to LS we'll both be trying out our respective new set-ups...I hope it all goes smoothly!! If not there is always a hotel down the street right?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:20 pm 

BTW Adnoh, 3/8" = 12/32" if directly converted. That 11/32" he installed is very strong...certainly will be strong enough to handle the bouncing of the rig as it goes down the road and probably make the box even stronger as a whole. However, that being said, it is actually a very good ride for such a heavy duty truck. With the insulated ceiling and AC it ought to stay nice and cool in there for a few zzzzz's...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:18 pm 

Ok, here is today's progress. Got the ceiling painted, some of the wiring a bit neater, installed the inside part of the air conditioner, and the trim on the vent fan. The wire you see in front of the vent is for a ceiling light that will serve as the kitchen light.

When I first got this truck, it was extremely noisy, Hoser can tell you, he drove it. Anyway, I have found that almost everything I have done has made it quieter, the ceiling in the box even made a difference. As far as ride, it actually seems to ride better than my Silverado Vortex Max.

On the floor, you see my next project, a small 12 volt/120 volt fridge, in the garage I have a two burner stove, microwave, kitchen sink, fresh water tank, electric water heater (2.5 gallons), RV power center and charger, two more RV battery boxes, a TV and DVD player. I probably won't get to any of this before LS as I really need to do some real work.

BTW, I have a portable generator on wheels, it just fits in the corner of the truck beside the Tiger. For the most part, I don't expect to use it much, in the Colorado mountains you really don't need air conditioning, and every thing else except the water heater will run off the batteries.

Attachments:
File comment: There are something like a hundred self tapping screws into the steel cross members, in my book, it should be plenty strong.
ceiling in and painted.JPG
ceiling in and painted.JPG [ 328.26 KiB | Viewed 4719 times ]
File comment: These have some sort of 'air sweep' and 'air shower', I haven't used it yet but looking forward to doing so.
inside of air conditioner.JPG
inside of air conditioner.JPG [ 386.19 KiB | Viewed 4721 times ]
File comment: These fans are correctly named, "Fantastic Vent", best RV fans I have ever used.
fantastic fan.JPG
fantastic fan.JPG [ 377.67 KiB | Viewed 4719 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:48 pm 

Wow, you got a lot done today! The shower from the AC comes out of the round portion on the bottom. I think more gimmick than anything else. The sweeping will be the vents on the end...they go up and down dispersing the air more evenly.

Looks great!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 pm 

Thank for the clairfaction Ted pilot, Drakman that's looks very nice. A disco ball and and some tunes will do nicely. Kick back and enjoy cold one out of fridge. Look forward to a peak inside to see if tubo burrowed a hole under the tiger. You now how those Texans are. Nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:55 pm 

Adnoh, funny you should bring up the tunes, if you look closely at the attached picture, you will see two antennas on the top of the box, one is for the telephone and the other is for a stereo in the back, I've been looking at the type you usually see in RVs, I don't know where to find the disco ball, you still have one around?

Attachments:
DSCN3441.JPG
DSCN3441.JPG [ 449.94 KiB | Viewed 4719 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:21 am 

You know it will not be a REAL test until it survives the entrance road to Killpecker...

We need to start planning another EPIC adventure...

Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:44 am 

FL670R wrote:
You know it will not be a REAL test until it survives the entrance road to Killpecker...

We need to start planning another EPIC adventure...

Dennis

Yeah, that is a brutal section, that is where the cabinets on the red trailer fell apart.

When are you thinking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:05 am 

I have been talking to Hoser about that too. His son and my son are both graduating High School this year and both want to ride the dunes. End of May/ beginning of June??????

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:19 am 

Nuke Em wrote:
I have been talking to Hoser about that too. His son and my son are both graduating High School this year and both want to ride the dunes. End of May/ beginning of June??????

Gary

That could work, maybe it won't even snow on us.