Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:19 pm 

Hi, I've got an fl350 I'm Almost ready to start. I need to figure out the correct way to wire everything up. I've got the water pump mounted with 2 wires coming out. How do I make this come on with the key? Do I need relays or fuses or just splice into power somewhere?

Next I have a yfz450 radiator setup with a fan and 2 thermoswitches. One thermoswitch controls the fan, the other is for a temp warning light. I have a warning light and an extra switch in the wheel if needed. I'd like the fan to come on by itself using the thermoswitch and to hook up the warning lights. Can anyone help me?

Next I've ran my digatron tach lead and it's near the coil. I can see it grounds at the same place as the coil. Where do I go to power the tach lead? There's a green and a brown wire coming out of the back of the coil. Can I use one of these?

Thanks in advance for any help! When project is complete I'll post a bunch of pics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:32 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Hi, I've got an fl350 I'm Almost ready to start. I need to figure out the correct way to wire everything up. I've got the water pump mounted with 2 wires coming out. How do I make this come on with the key? Do I need relays or fuses or just splice into power somewhere?

Next I have a yfz450 radiator setup with a fan and 2 thermoswitches. One thermoswitch controls the fan, the other is for a temp warning light. I have a warning light and an extra switch in the wheel if needed. I'd like the fan to come on by itself using the thermoswitch and to hook up the warning lights. Can anyone help me?

Next I've ran my digatron tach lead and it's near the coil. I can see it grounds at the same place as the coil. Where do I go to power the tach lead? There's a green and a brown wire coming out of the back of the coil. Can I use one of these?

Thanks in advance for any help! When project is complete I'll post a bunch of pics.

Your adding another whole electrical system to the 350.

I am no expert but I would add a relay that is energized when you turn on the key, the relay would take the load of the fan and pump so your not putting much extra stress or loads on the factory system like the key switch.

Everything needs its own fuse.

I assume power would go through a fuse then to one side of the relay contacts the when you turn on the key power would go to each the sensor to turn on the fan and for the coolant pump the first fuse would need to be big enough to carry the load for everything, pump, fan, warning light.

Where the power comes out of the relay where you split off the power to each item your adding you need to add another fuse for each item to protect each component you added, the size of the fuse would be only big enough to protect each item.

I will let the experts chime in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:38 pm 

My Dad, my brother, and I worked on the odyssey all day today. We didn't get it completed as I hoped but we got to fire it up for its first heat cycle. Plenty of smoke, EGT's were in the 400's. It has a few coolant leaks that need adressed, still gotta figure out the wiring. I follow on what your saying to run it on it's own instead of off the key switch. I like the idea. I just don't know how to apply it. I've never done any wiring on anything. This is all new ground for me. For tonight just ran a hot and a ground from the battery to water pump with a 15 amp fuse and an alligator clip on the pos lead.(we all just wanted to hear it run after working on it all day). Next startup all coolant leaks will fixed, wiring done correctly, small odds and ends I want to improve, and reassembly complete. I'm very excited to see and hear it run. Thanks Hoser for all the help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:03 am 

I just read your post, let me look at some wiring diagrams and I will see if I can help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:49 am 

Hello, on the water pump and radiator fan you for sure need a relay.

I used Napa relay part # AR143 it has a tab to mount it and I can give you exact spots on it to hook your wires up.

On the under side of the relay you will see numbers next to each wire hook up.

#86 relay power activation. This is your key on power wire, the odyssey only has one power out wire and it is only 18 or 20 gauge this is why you want to use a relay. I would splice in to this wire at the voltage regulator, there are six wires going to the regulator 3 yellow, 1 red/white, 1 green and 1 black, splice in to the black wire this is your key on power. use the same gauge wire here to your relay #86.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:06 am 

scpilot66 wrote:
I just read your post, let me look at some wiring diagrams and I will see if I can help.

(Post in between)

Thank you. That would be great. I think from Hosers post Im pretty sure I have the right idea On how to run the power thru the switchs, fuse each part(warning light, fan, waterpump).

What I'm needing to figure out now is how to supply separate power controlled by the key switch.

So in my head I'm at the point of 3 wires needing power on one end. I need to bring a power wire from the battery thru a Main fuse on the other end. The last piece is the one that involves the switch. This "relay"(if that's what it is) need to connect main power in, power out to accessories, and it needs to only let power thru when it has power supplied from a jumper somewhere after the key switch? Does this "switch" or "relay" exist or am I daydreaming? What's it called and where could I get one? Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:14 am 

scpilot66 wrote:
Hello, on the water pump and radiator fan you for sure need a relay.

I used Napa relay part # AR143 it has a tab to mount it and I can give you exact spots on it to hook your wires up.

On the under side of the relay you will see numbers next to each wire hook up.

#86 relay power activation. This is your key on power wire, the odyssey only has one power out wire and it is only 18 or 20 gauge this is why you want to use a relay. I would splice in to this wire at the voltage regulator, there are six wires going to the regulator 3 yellow, 1 red/white, 1 green and 1 black, splice in to the black wire this is your key on power. use the same gauge wire here to your relay #86.

Sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks! Do you by chance know where I should hook up the digatron tach lead? The end has a ground and a clip to splice into a small wire. There's 2 of the right size wires coming out of the back of the coil( i think green and brown). The thing the plug wire comes out of. Could I splice in here? Thanks a lot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:15 am 

Sorry, I had to step out for a minute.

#85 relay ground. Run a good ground wire to this blade.
#30 relay main power in. Run a fused wire from your battery to this blade. Be sure to use a water tight in line fuse holder.
#87 relay power out. This is the wire that will go out to your fan and water pump. I would use in line fuses here as well 1 for the water pump and 1 for the fan.
#87A not used.

For your power wire from the battery to your relay and your power wires out to your water pump and fan, I would use the same gauge wire that is on your fan and water pump I suspect it is 16 gauge.

I hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:17 am 

Fatcat wrote:

Sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks! Do you by chance know where I should hook up the digatron tach lead? The end has a ground and a clip to splice into a small wire. There's 2 of the right size wires coming out of the back of the coil( i think green and brown). The thing the plug wire comes out of. Could I splice in here? Thanks a lot.

The tach leads I have seen just clip on to the coil wire itself, do you have a picture?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:36 am 

scpilot66 wrote:
Sorry, I had to step out for a minute.

#85 relay ground. Run a good ground wire to this blade.
#30 relay main power in. Run a fused wire from your battery to this blade. Be sure to use a water tight in line fuse holder.
#87 relay power out. This is the wire that will go out to your fan and water pump. I would use in line fuses here as well 1 for the water pump and 1 for the fan.
#87A not used.

For your power wire from the battery to your relay and your power wires out to your water pump and fan, I would use the same gauge wire that is on your fan and water pump I suspect it is 16 gauge.

I hope this helps.

Your helping a lot thanks! I'll look around here and see if I got a pic. If not I can take one tonight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:47 am 

Basic drawing

When you turn on the key power is sent to coil on the relay, once the relay is energized power from the battery is sent to the pump motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), power is also sent to the switch that tells the fan to turn on.

Anytime you turn on the key the pump will run.
Anytime you turn on the key the fan will run IF the temp switch says the coolant is hot enough and it calling for the fan.

Everything is fused from the battery on so if a energized wire is grounded it blows the fuse and don't burn up the wires.

Everything is grounded to the frame you could run wires back to the battery if you like.

Attachments:
wiress.jpg
wiress.jpg [ 25.53 KiB | Viewed 1265 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:22 am 

Thanks alot guys! I'll have updates as soon as I get to work on it again. It all makes sense to me now. I'll get the relay and fuses and set it up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:59 pm 

I might be late to help, but...

I ran my Mercedes pump and YFZ450 fan off relays with main power from a fuse block powered by the battery.

Next, the fan and pump's relay/switch voltage was off the main harness, as well as the EGT, voltage gage, and gage pod power.

Therefore, the only way to turn on the fan, pump, and gages is when the key is ON.

When I let her sit for long periods of time (5+ days), I just pull the fuse out of the positive feed above the battery, and then I trickle charge battery with a trusty $10 float charger from Harbor Freight (except don't forget to disconnect it before you ride, ha).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:23 am 

Thanks for the help guys. I would have been completely lost on my own. I started on it last night but didn't finish. I had some 14ga wire. Then I went to advanced auto parts and bought 4 in line fuses, assorted connectors, and heat shrink tubing. NAPA was closed when I got off work but they were able to cross reference and get me the same relay. I ran main power to the relay through a 30 amp fuse. I then added a 15amp before the radiator fan and the water pump, ran the relay ground, the fan ground, and that's all for now. I can either run the fan to the extra switch in the wheel or use a thermo switch to control it. I also need a thermo switch for the coolant temp warning lights. I'm thinking I can use the original fan thermswitch to control my temp lights. Anyone know what temp the yfz450 thermoswitches come on? What would be the max temp I should allow it to get? My goal is between 150-160 under normal riding. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:39 am 

14 ga wire is good for about 32 amps should be plenty big I would install a smaller fuse fan and pump should never be close to 30 amps? I would start with a 15 or 20 amp, reason why is I like to always use the smallest fuse needed so if you short out a wire some place it don't melt off 1/2 the insulation before the fuse blows lol

Any idea what the water pump draws cant imagine it being more than a few amps.

Fan will draw about 10 amps?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 am 

I used a 30 amp between the battery and the relay. For the fan and water pump I have a 15amp in each of those. Do you think I should drop to a 10 amp instead of the 15's? Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:00 am 

Fatcat wrote:
I used a 30 amp between the battery and the relay. For the fan and water pump I have a 15amp in each of those. Do you think I should drop to a 10 amp instead of the 15's? Thanks

Without knowing the actual amp draw of each item in the circuit its just a guess, I don't think have a amp probe that reads in DC amps but will look at the newer one I have if it does we can see what the actual amp draw is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 am 

That would be great if you could see if you have the Right stuff to check it. Havnt got to work on it as much as I like. Been working late. I think im also having a head gasket issue. I've got all the coolant fittings tight and when I only run the pump nothing leaks and no pressure in the radiator. As soon as I start the Engine the coolant in the reservoir starts bubbling and all the tight hose connections leak. I also see a couple specs in the coolant but not certain it's not just a little crud that was in the radiator. Does it sound like the head gasket could be allowing compression into the cooling system? Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 pm 

Worked on it a little more today. I got the relay mounted and the wiring set up for now. I think I'll be hand making a harness for it. There's several things on my buggy I want to refine but I wanna see how the stuff holds up before I do.I got the extra switch in the wheel controlling the fan, and the water pump working with the ignition. It's all ran through fuses and the relay recommended by scpilot66. Thank you sir. Couldn't have made it any easier. In the future I will add a thermo switch also to control the fan. Also a thermo switch for the warning lights. I may use the original fan thermoswitch to contol them. Few more hours I should be ready for a ride. It seems to always go slower than I hope for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:44 pm 

Any updates and pics of your water cooled head and were you mounted the radiator... thanks toby

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:46 pm 

toby wrote:
Any updates and pics of your water cooled head and were you mounted the radiator... thanks toby

Sorry it took so long. Sent some pics to your email. If there's anything else you would like to see or have any questions I'd be happy to help if I can.

Profile E-mail