Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:59 am 

The speedchaser bushings have been amazing and the j-arms are in great shape, but my arm spindles are old and worn out :/

Tomorrow a special package from Mudbogger will be arriving at my door.... Hmmm... what could it be?

1Z3F8A750363433870 BOX #1

1Z3F8A750363434762 BOX #2

Day One: Tear Down. I have never torn the front end down this far.. Took quite a while! Just cant seem to find my socket for the arms at the moment... Everything will be cleaned and painted. Hopefully I can find a foot tub without a 9 inch hole in it.. See my for sale thread :-) :-) :-)

Attachments:
File comment: I can't possibly reinstall that horrid foot tub! WTB
IMAG0394.jpg
IMAG0394.jpg [ 44.38 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
IMAG0396.jpg
IMAG0396.jpg [ 43.09 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:38 am 

wellllll?! what was in the special boxs from Mudbogger!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:09 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
wellllll?! what was in the special boxs from Mudbogger!

Muahaha I will update tonight when I get home

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:58 am 

So today was beautiful outside, so I decided to sand down the front end since I had it all stripped down.
Attachment:
sanded.jpg
sanded.jpg [ 72.02 KiB | Viewed 2119 times ]

Then I decided.. heck, I should throw a little paint on the front half since it's so nice out.. ya know.. no particular reason ;)
Attachment:
painted.jpg
painted.jpg [ 105.43 KiB | Viewed 2119 times ]

Wow the Rustoleum I picked is a pretty damn good match I'd say. well closer than the pic looks... the piece i was holding reflected the light back at me.
Attachment:
closeenough.jpg
closeenough.jpg [ 94.42 KiB | Viewed 2119 times ]

A match to whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat you say?
Attachment:
Laid-Out.jpg
Laid-Out.jpg [ 56.45 KiB | Viewed 2119 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 am 

Ok.. on to the install(mockup)/review of the (in)famous chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts Long Travel Kit we have heard so much about. I'm sure everyone is familiar with TurboTexas and the headache he has had with his kit. In short, this kit has a steering design flaw that relies on passing the steering rods through fixed heim joints(which are located on the subframe). This makes the kit vulnerable in different ways, If the tie rod becomes bent the steering will lock up. Also, dirt and debris are unavoidable.. if this gets on the shaft consider it sandpaper. So moving on!

Tonight I decided to hack up my frame and begin the mockup phase. My goal is to get the chassis rolling and bring it over to hosers before I tighten anything own. I grabbed my cutoff and began the molestation. :shock:

After cutting off the stock front brake line mounts and the beat up underframe, along with some grinding to make sure the surfaces were flush, I decided it was time to see how everything fit.
Attachment:
trimount.jpg
trimount.jpg [ 36.28 KiB | Viewed 2119 times ]

As seen above.. It is a little off.... The hardened bolt simply would not go through. Now I cant officially blame the kit for this fitment problem as I have hit some pretty stupid shit in this thing. my frame may be very slightly tweaked for all i know. Also, I'm sure the thick sexy powdercoat on this kit plus the extra layer of paint I sprayed down arent helping. I did however look at the front mounts that fit over the old j-arm locations (for the upper arm and shock tower pieces). Inside the opening appeared to have a ridge. I smoothed the ridge out and was able to make the left side fit.
Attachment:
jmount2.jpg
jmount2.jpg [ 39.57 KiB | Viewed 2119 times ]

However the right side is still a bit goofy. All the holes on the right alight except one. I believe the piece was manufactured incorrectly. After a few hours of some serious eyeballing and trouble shooting I have come to the conclusion that greater modification of either the frame or kit will be required. I need to make some measurements to find out which one of the two is the culprit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:18 am 

Ok,so if Im understanding correctly you bought aftershocks kit from Mudbogger knowing it has a lot of problems.don't take this the wrong way,WHY? :-) Do you think you have a way of fixing the flaws in it?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 am 

Looks like you have a good start, I doubt their is a 350 frame left that would still fit the original jig it was built in all frames are tweaked as they are used this all should have been taken into consideration and included into the design so each "kit" could be adjusted to properly fit each frame it was installed on.

You get instructions with the kit?

More detail pics on the bolts not fitting please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:09 am 

No instructions were given to me Hoser when I purchased the kit soem time ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:14 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
No instructions were given to me Hoser when I purchased the kit soem time ago.

Figures.
Well I guess he could just get on the phone call liewire and ask?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:16 pm 

I might get a chance to work on it either tonight or tomorrow sometime depending on how much progress I make in preparation for my trip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:56 pm 

Trip? where are you going? you got work to do there fella!!!
Hope to see this very soon here in the thread:

Attachments:
350 restore 005.jpg
350 restore 005.jpg [ 153.07 KiB | Viewed 2071 times ]
350 restore 006.jpg
350 restore 006.jpg [ 155.47 KiB | Viewed 2071 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm 

Found this in some older files on the kit for installation:

"You do not "need" to buy any other parts to install the kit. Some rustoleum
paint to spray the parts cut off would be good. I guess you will need brake
fluid although technically, you could drain it into a bottle to re-use ;). It
comes with the tie rods, drag links (inner tie rods), all tie rod and link
ends. There are knuckle adapters that raise both tie rod connection points up
and put them at the same height. They also tip the mounts to get more travel
and moves them inward to give correct Ackerman angle. Ackerman angle is where
the inside tire turns more than the outside one because the wheels are running
through different arcs. Proper Ackerman angle minimizes tire scrub reducing
feedback through the yoke and improving steering response. The machine even
pushes easier while turning on concrete"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:27 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Found this in some older files on the kit for installation:

"You do not "need" to buy any other parts to install the kit. Some rustoleum
paint to spray the parts cut off would be good. I guess you will need brake
fluid although technically, you could drain it into a bottle to re-use ;). It
comes with the tie rods, drag links (inner tie rods), all tie rod and link
ends. There are knuckle adapters that raise both tie rod connection points up
and put them at the same height. They also tip the mounts to get more travel
and moves them inward to give correct Ackerman angle. Ackerman angle is where
the inside tire turns more than the outside one because the wheels are running
through different arcs. Proper Ackerman angle minimizes tire scrub reducing
feedback through the yoke and improving steering response. The machine even
pushes easier while turning on concrete"

But has no installation instructions haha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:44 am 

Mud, I am going to Turkey for 10 days for school! I leave Sunday night. I got all my packing done in about an hour so I can put this project into overdrive lol :-)

Ok, I pulled the whole kit off and decided to take my newly purchased dremel and remove some of the thick paint layers that have been accumulated on this frame.. This helped quite a bit with many of the fitment problems i have been having.. The ONLY problem I have so far is this bolt hole that is incorrectly manufactured/placed. I have come to the conclusion of manufacture error since all of the other holes around it line up. What should I do with this? should i cut the bolt off and widen the hole to fit a standard nut/bolt through the hole?
Attachment:
subframe-arghh.jpg
subframe-arghh.jpg [ 56.54 KiB | Viewed 2046 times ]

And i noticed in the pictures mud posted that the old j arm spindles have some sort of spacer on them? the OD of the old j arms is 27mm. Could I just buy a piece of pipe that measures ID 27+mm and cut it to length to fit between the outer plate and kit?
Attachment:
bushing.jpg
bushing.jpg [ 80.73 KiB | Viewed 2046 times ]

anyways.. here is a loose mockup for you all
Attachment:
mockup.jpg
mockup.jpg [ 58.35 KiB | Viewed 2046 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:21 am 

Yes, you can do that for sure, that's what the maker of the kit did.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:37 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Yes, you can do that for sure, that's what the maker of the kit did.

I plan to have it rolling by tonight then. I just need to fab up some j-arm shaft spacers and buy a few nuts/bolts!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:12 am 

After many many hours the last few days I have made some great progress today! The previous problem of the misaligned holes on the three sided frame clamp was easy to solve. I popped them suckers out and went with a hardened bolt and lock washer on each hole. One of the holes required a bit of dremel work to widen it in order for it to accept the bolt. Worked perfectly with minimal molestation required.
Attachment:
misaligned1.jpg
misaligned1.jpg [ 26.53 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

Attachment:
poppedout2.jpg
poppedout2.jpg [ 39.49 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

Fits very nicely on the frame now :)
Attachment:
tripleclamp3.jpg
tripleclamp3.jpg [ 40.42 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

I also made up two prototype J arm sleeves out of 1" ID gas piping. I plan to remake four of these and make them look a bit nicer. These will do for snugging it up pre-hoserization.
Attachment:
bushingprototype4.jpg
bushingprototype4.jpg [ 52.22 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

Rezzies will reside on this section of tubing. perfect fit.
Attachment:
rezzies5.jpg
rezzies5.jpg [ 57.41 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

The Lower heim joints are not long enough to accomodate proper castlenut use :( Should I try to find different lower heim joints with a longer bolt? The front left lower heim needs replaced anyways as the threads are mangled. I have heard that a proper fitting nylon lock washer can be a safe use if used once and torqued properly. I also wonder if I could wrench it down, and drill a hole through a standard nut and the bolt to make my own locking pin. I rather not have the lower a arms fall out while riding. :shock:
Attachment:
shortheim6.jpg
shortheim6.jpg [ 54.79 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

Attachment:
shortheim7.jpg
shortheim7.jpg [ 56.01 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

I have not touched the steering or brake line setup yet as I only wanted to get it rolling so i can look at it and smile.. THANK YOU Mudbogger :-) :-) :-)

Besides the aformentioned things to do.. here is a taste of what it will look like.

Attachment:
front8.jpg
front8.jpg [ 74.8 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

Attachment:
side9.jpg
side9.jpg [ 84.19 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

Attachment:
low10.jpg
low10.jpg [ 68.86 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:49 am 

Nice work! Before you go any farther watch my thread on the PPE ody and what my fab guy is going to perform to eliminate those hiems. Now is a perfect time for you and Hoser yo do multiple relocations/additions to the kit to make it work flawlessly for you.FUNNY BACK IN TH DAY WHEN I FIRST PURCHASED a kit form him I posted those same finding about the tie rod ends and nuts/bolts not fitting properly and to this day it has never been resolved, yet Darksiders still praise Liewrie and the kit like he created the wheel-can you imagine it has been this long and still he has never confessed to the poor design of it. It takes a moron like me to have a true engineer fix his screw up, all in the while he rapes the community of hard earned money. Can you imagine what he can/has done for Engine rebuilds, OUCH! Believe me when I tell you, they praise him like he is the lord of Pilot odyssey land, go to his shitty page, it is all there, every postings a sales pitch, every posting "thanks steve for having this" what a crock of shit. Thanks Steve from me for selling me 3 grand kit I have to figure out, I have to pay a fab guy to redo -yeah THANKS!!!!
Get Hoser on that kit and enjoy it my friend and remember, let Hoser check it out 100% before you ride it please.
Be safe overseas,look forward to progress on it when you return. Are you leaving it @ Hosers compound while you're gone?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:32 am 

So how much wheel travel r u getting

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 pm 

fully wrote:
So how much wheel travel r u getting

Not sure.. 12-13 advertised.. current ride height looks to be about 12.5 inches with bare frame, no load, and preload super soft.

painted the seat frame today and steer shaft base bracket.
Re-taped front wiring harness a with a high quality white electrical tape.
I still have to get the tires from hoser mounted.
I also need to figure out a safe way to safely secure the bottom stud to the spindle as that ball joint stud is not currently long enough to properly utilize the castle nut.
all i need now is fatcat's newused foot tub, white spray paint and a ton of 10mm nuts :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:59 pm 

Hey T,your outer tierod ends,are they mounted from the top or bottom of that little tube deal?

You have them on top in your mock up pics,but it looks like it would be more parallel to the arm mounted from below?

Just an observation,could be way off.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:08 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Hey T,your outer tierod ends,are they mounted from the top or bottom of that little tube deal?

You have them on top in your mock up pics,but it looks like it would be more parallel to the arm mounted from below?

Just an observation,could be way off.

They are mocked up from the top. I am not sure if they mount top or bottom Ill have to double check the install pics also to make sure as to what the proper install method is.. good observation thank you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 am 

Got the new foot tub stitched up and painted tonight. I will also be bolting in the foot tub insert I got from Nelly for added structural support. Going to the hardware store tomorrow to see my options for carriage style bolts(rounded style?)
Attachment:
tub.jpg
tub.jpg [ 45.91 KiB | Viewed 1865 times ]

Thanks for the decal FatCat!
Attachment:
decal.jpg
decal.jpg [ 53.2 KiB | Viewed 1865 times ]

All i have left to do is bolt this mofo back together and roll it over to hosers to get put under the microscope. It should be rolling and "steerable" but not ridable by tomorrow night. Also, picked up a master cylinder in better working condition than mine from fatcat as he gave me an offer i could not refuse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:04 am 

Almost complete I like that structural support for the foot tub good idea nice work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:50 am 

Nice work Tim...we're gonna make a fabricator out of you yet!!!!!

I guess the next move is a sled Engine?....found another complete sled like the one I used for an absolute steal...probably gonna get it this weekend, if the idiot will call me back!!!!, would be nice to have a spare exactly like the one I have in mine.

I'm gonna try to bust ass on mine to get it done...let me know how long you have left so we can take a ride real soon!

Again, NICE WORK!!!!

Profile E-mail