Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:08 pm 

I've been sick all weekend so I'm moving pretty slow. I got it where I could take it for a first spin today. Engine running great, still lots of pressure in cooling system when running? Seems to be running pretty rich but I'm plenty happy with the power and running rich is ok by me. Made a couple laps around my dads yard today to get some pics and a few laps in I had a u joint fail. It also broke the side of the rear caliper where the parking brake hooks up. Kinda puts a slow down on me but I'm not sweating it, I think I just need to be patient and buy nice OEM'S and just be done with it. I'm very happy with this Engine, I still havn't really opened it up but so far two thumbs up! Much different from stock with a bad crank seal. LOL I've got some pics but I can't post them. Ill see if Hoser can help me out with that. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 pm 

Dude that sucks about the u joint.......but it sounds like it was running pretty good and you have most of the bugs worked out....

I am sure once you get the u joints fixed with oem, you will have a top notch machine....

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:23 pm 

Lonerider wrote:
Dude that sucks about the u joint.......but it sounds like it was running pretty good and you have most of the bugs worked out....

I am sure once you get the u joints fixed with oem, you will have a top notch machine....

Yeah it seems to be running great. I think I may have a leaking headgasket but that's no huge deal to fix. It'll be fixed before any further rides. I'm not letting the u joint get me down. I was kind of expecting issues. The u joints in my axles are replacements with grease zerks which I hear are prone to fail. It also doesnt help that I'm pushing 300lbs so they're taking even more abuse. It seems to kick the ass up in the air when I go over small bumps. Is this due to my weight up front? How could i get it to balance out? Not really thinking adding weights is a good idea. Thanks guys

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:37 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Lonerider wrote:

Yeah it seems to be running great. I think I may have a leaking headgasket but that's no huge deal to fix. It'll be fixed before any further rides. I'm not letting the u joint get me down. I was kind of expecting issues. The u joints in my axles are replacements with grease zerks which I hear are prone to fail. It also doesnt help that I'm pushing 300lbs so they're taking even more abuse. It seems to kick the ass up in the air when I go over small bumps. Is this due to my weight up front? How could i get it to balance out? Not really thinking adding weights is a good idea. Thanks guys

Are you still running the stock shocks? They are basically pogo sticks. Works shocks are big bucks but make a Big difference in the ride.

Here is a link to U joints without grease Zerks. $39.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-FL350-FL3 ... a5&vxp=mtr" ."..

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:13 pm 

Randman wrote:
Fatcat wrote:
Lonerider wrote:

Are you still running the stock shocks? They are basically pogo sticks. Works shocks are
big bucks but make a Big difference in the ride.
Here is a link to U joints without grease Zerks. $39.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-FL350-FL3 ... a5&vxp=mtr" .".." ."..

Rand

Thanks Rand. I have one of those ujoints installed in the other side of that axle. It may have been due to the others failure but it's showing slop after a few minutes. On the works shocks I'm saving up for them now, this will slow that down. Right now it has stock shocks up front and showa's off something on the back. Still feels springy though. Can't wait to try a set of works shocks set up for my weight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:18 am 

Showa's were the factory shock for the Ody. They ride like a pogo stick.

Definitely make sure you get the Works shocks set for your weight. I weight 230 and didn't get them sprung correctly and they on occasion bottom out.

You may want to check the yokes that the U joints fit into. If they have been damaged, they will not work properly and will feel sloppy.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm 

Well that sucks, let me know when your over being sick I want to come over and see the head gasket thing I would find it odd its leaking but have seen stranger things happen.

I also want to see the axle if your going to be swapping out the U joints I will make up a shaft you can use to ensure the yokes are true straight etc. what it is, is a rod that is turned down just slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the U joint caps you use it to see if you can slide it through both holes in the yoke if you cant one is deformed, bent, twisted installing a U joint into a yoke in that condition usually ends up with a short life.

Most alignment issues are created when the U joint breaks it usually tweaks something other damage is caused by the installer going caveman when removing a old joint.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:56 pm 

Thanks Hoser. Sorry I didn't get ahold of you this weekend. It may not be the head gasket. That was just my guess.(probably wrong) Also I think Randman and yourself may be on to something with the tweaked yolks. Before either of you said that I looked at them and thought they appearred (Y'd) out at the top. The previous owners changed all 4 u joints before I bought it. First one that failed lasted about 2 hours when it was running like crap. Now the second one in the same axle lasted about 2 minutes with my new found power. :-) that sucks if both these axles are scrap iron. I guess on a good note I've got a set of axles with oem joints that need replaced so hopefully if the others are junk these are repairable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:16 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Thanks Hoser. Sorry I didn't get ahold of you this weekend. It may not be the head gasket. That was just my guess.(probably wrong) Also I think Randman and yourself may be on to something with the tweaked yolks. Before either of you said that I looked at them and thought they appearred (Y'd) out at the top. The previous owners changed all 4 u joints before I bought it. First one that failed lasted about 2 hours when it was running like crap. Now the second one in the same axle lasted about 2 minutes with my new found power. :-) that sucks if both these axles are scrap iron. I guess on a good note I've got a set of axles with oem joints that need replaced so hopefully if the others are junk these are repairable.

Save ALL old axle parts throw nothing away...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm 

hoser wrote:
Fatcat wrote:

Save ALL old axle parts throw nothing away...

I will keep them all

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:19 am 

Alright, im feeling better today and got a lot done. Found the ujoints needed shims above the clip. The last person who did the ujoints didn't use any. I used some flat washers I had laying around and they seem be good. More testing will tell. Down to a couple things. I need to figure out how to hook up the tach and it's building pressure in the cooling system. Other than that Im ready to start tuning the clutch/jetting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm 

Sweet! Glad you got the U joints squared away. How much pressure do you think you are building in the cooling system? I made a temp catch can out of a mountain dew bottle so it would refill as it cooled back off and didnt waste coolant. What kind of tach?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:22 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
Sweet! Glad you got the U joints squared away. How much pressure do you think you are building in the cooling system? I made a temp catch can out of a mountain dew bottle so it would refill as it cooled back off and didnt waste coolant. What kind of tach?

Hi Nukem, I'm not sure on the pressure its building but it's a lot. Blows the lid off the reservoir. It only does it when the Engine is started. The pressure spikes when I hit the throttle??? The tach is a digatron. It has 2 wires at the end. One appears to be a ground by the fastener. The other fastener clips over a small wire. I can't really try it on different wires since the clip cuts through the wires insulation. The digatron setup came off a pilot if that would help with anything. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 am 

Fatcat wrote:
Nuke Em wrote:

Hi Nukem, I'm not sure on the pressure its building but it's a lot. Blows the lid off the reservoir. It only does it when the Engine is started. The pressure spikes when I hit the throttle??? The tach is a digatron. It has 2 wires at the end. One appears to be a ground by the fastener. The other fastener clips over a small wire. I can't really try it on different wires since the clip cuts through the wires insulation. The digatron setup came off a pilot if that would help with anything. Thanks

You have some days off this week?

I would like to come over and see the pressure building thing, only take a minute to pull the head off and look to see if the gasket it leaking, do you have a procedure for draining the coolant too speed up the process, I will bring my torque wrench, do you have a spare head gasket you can prep with the copper coat and have ready?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:34 am 

Hi Hoser, I'll be able to do something with it this weekend. I've got an extra gasket at my dads. I'll go there tonight and prep it. I don't have a way of draining coolant other than pulling the hose. What do you recommend? The pressure got much worse. If your familiar with where Geoffs mom(Barb) lives it's at her place right now. We should be wrenching on stuff this weekend. Probably Sunday. Tomorrow will be rainy. We'll get the grill fired up

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:52 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Hi Hoser, I'll be able to do something with it this weekend. I've got an extra gasket at my dads. I'll go there tonight and prep it. I don't have a way of draining coolant other than pulling the hose. What do you recommend? The pressure got much worse. If your familiar with where Geoffs mom(Barb) lives it's at her place right now. We should be wrenching on stuff this weekend. Probably Sunday. Tomorrow will be rainy. We'll get the grill fired up

Not exactly sure where that place is PM me the details the time and day once you decide when your going to be their.

If its worse no use running it until we pull the head and investigate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 pm 

hoser wrote:
Fatcat wrote:

Not exactly sure where that place is PM me the details the time and day once you decide when your going to be their.

If its worse no use running it until we pull the head and investigate.

I won't run it until then. I'll pm you later with exact directions and a time. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so most likely sunday. Pm me what you would like for lunch. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:54 pm 

Hoser was kind enough to come over today and check out my Ody. We replaced the head gasket and Hoser cleaned up the head nut surface on his lathe. We could see where the gasket was leaking. For some reason it still doesn't want to seal up. I will prep a full 3 piece stock gasket with coppercoat tonight and reassemble in the morning. Hopefully that will get us sealed up. I can't wait to have this thing right, it runs real good! Will update asap. Hopefully I can make it to the cliffs tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:19 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Hoser was kind enough to come over today and check out my Ody. We replaced the head gasket and Hoser cleaned up the head nut surface on his lathe. We could see where the gasket was leaking. For some reason it still doesn't want to seal up. I will prep a full 3 piece stock gasket with coppercoat tonight and reassemble in the morning. Hopefully that will get us sealed up. I can't wait to have this thing right, it runs real good! Will update asap. Hopefully I can make it to the cliffs tomorrow.

It has me stumped should not be leaking!!! Wish we had a copper gasket.

Possible for you to take pictures or bring that 350 tub with you tomorrow?

What time you think you will be at Geoffs in the morning?

You found the other full gasket?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:27 pm 

While removing the headgasket I could see where it was leaking. It was around the studs. I completely cleaned off the single layer gasket and both surfaces. I put fresh copper coat on the gasket and let it dry for a while. I then put it on and put a little Yamabond above and below the gasketat each stud. Torqued it to 21 ft. Lbs, ran it through a couple heat cycles and retorqued the head again. After a few short successful trips we did a 5 mile or so hard run and it's still sealed. Alls looking well. More testing in the AM. Cliffs is looking good

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:49 pm 

I'll be at geoffs whenever he wakes up. Seems like it's working. Im sure I've got the gasket but I havn't been to my dads. The women drug me out to a bonfire. I'll get some pics of the tub or get it out. Depends on what time we go home. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:42 am 

Fatcat wrote:
I'll be at geoffs whenever he wakes up. Seems like it's working. Im sure I've got the gasket but I havn't been to my dads. The women drug me out to a bonfire. I'll get some pics of the tub or get it out. Depends on what time we go home. Thanks

Let me know what time your going to be their I will run over.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:23 am 

I'll let you know as soon as I talk to him. Does anyone sell copper head gaskets? I'd like to go with one of them. I don't like the way the original gasket fits. It just sucks. I had to force it down with a socket. I think I may have also had it upside down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:55 am 

Fatcat wrote:
I'll let you know as soon as I talk to him. Does anyone sell copper head gaskets? I'd like to go with one of them. I don't like the way the original gasket fits. It just sucks. I had to force it down with a socket. I think I may have also had it upside down.

I have enough copper left over from making Pilot head gaskets to make a 350 gasket I am making one right now get it drained and the head off cleaned up read for the gasket will get it to you ASAP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:32 pm 

Update:

Finished the copper head gasket took it to Geoffs you were not their so I left it in the seat of the Go Kart you cant miss it, check the fit close see what you think I test fit it on the cylinder I have hear the holes are larger so should not be a problem, I traced a old stock gasket.

Profile E-mail