Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:02 pm 

Some of you may remember this odyssey, its basicly what got me started in the pilot/odyssey addiction. Ive started to gather parts for my build so i am starting a build thread.

my dad had traded an impounded car for this FL350, it was rough. had no transmission. owning his own shop he did not have alot of time to work on it, so it got put in a shed and forgotten. after he passed away the shop was up for sale so i decided to pull it out of the shed and get it home before the shop was sold. One summer i got it running and had a great time with it. Engine had lot of crank end play, but it ran great for a few seasons until the fuel filter clogged on a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) pass with my buddy riding it and it siezed the top end :shock: . Currently it is a bare frame haning in my shed.

SO far, i am gathering parts for this. It is going to be another sled Engine conversion as well as a LT front suspention. Just picked up a TRX450R front suspention on ebay for $110 to my door. Now i need to find a set of front shocks, an Engine, rear shocks, and wheels/tires. not sure what Engine i want to go with. a friend has a 700 polaris that needs a water pump, would be perfect since i would use an electric pump... hmmm

here are some old pictures and the lt front end i purchased. don't think i will be starting on this anytime soon, but i wanted a place to keep all my pictures and parts.

Attachments:
5fdb0f2c.jpg
5fdb0f2c.jpg [ 59.23 KiB | Viewed 1171 times ]
2010-07-31192037.jpg
2010-07-31192037.jpg [ 103.28 KiB | Viewed 1171 times ]
IMG_20110611_210341.jpg
IMG_20110611_210341.jpg [ 63.33 KiB | Viewed 1171 times ]
$(KGrHqR,!qYE+nUF1Ge0BP+O21i0!g~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqR,!qYE+nUF1Ge0BP+O21i0!g~~60_57.JPG [ 42.32 KiB | Viewed 1171 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:33 pm 

I think I saw you post on 450R.net. But if you just want stock shocks they have then on there. I have seen pairs go for as little as 60$

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:24 pm 

Nice score on the front end,digging those golf carts too :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:54 am 

Thanks guys, im in no hurry for parts. just when i spot a good deal i am going to grab it. I feel the $110 to my door was a decent price for that front end. i almost bid on it when the guy had it listed for 100 with 50 shipping, but it ended and he instantly did a 1 day listing at 60 so i bought it.

The golf carts were kinda my dads side business. the red tow truck was a joke for a local parade one year, the local body guy grabbed it and painted it and it kinda started the rest of them.

we had one that was black like an old 50s cop car, with the old school siren and all. we had an old 50s fire truck with a 5 gal water tank, siren, and mini ladders. one with a 6" lift, ATV tires, and full roll cage. He also built one for the local mac tools guy, had sheetmetal around the back to make it look like a mac tool truck, with all the pegboard and stuff on the roof and walls to hang tools. The the orange one he built when i got hurt and was in the hospital. all hand controlled that he custom built uses a dirtbike throttle since that is what i got hurt on and was used to, stereo, 10"" sub, airbag suspention so it lowers down and makes it easy for me to get in, underglow glow lights.. even a headliner, sunvisors, and the roof center console.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:51 am 

Alright!!! A new ::: project log. Subscribed. =)

I'm digging that silver SS, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:17 pm 

I'm in the same boat with a bare frame to play with. I'll progress slow but I wanna do something cool with it. I was just thinking about a long travel setup. Tell me if this is plausible. Could you add like 1 foot to the front of the Ody and bring the a arm mounts more inboard. You could maybe go like +4 trx arms and keep the width down. Or at least some combination to make it as narrow as stock. Please don't flame me as I know nothing about suspension. Just an idea that went through my head.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:42 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
I'm in the same boat with a bare frame to play with. I'll progress slow but I wanna do something cool with it. I was just thinking about a long travel setup. Tell me if this is plausible. Could you add like 1 foot to the front of the Ody and bring the a arm mounts more inboard. You could maybe go like +4 trx arms and keep the width down. Or at least some combination to make it as narrow as stock. Please don't flame me as I know nothing about suspension. Just an idea that went through my head.

Yep, my bare frame is still "bare" and waiting. I planned on doing a Rotax 2-up powerplant, long-travel front (similar to the Drakart), Fox front shocks with rezzies, and I picked up a pair of Pilot rear shocks a while back thinking I could do something with them. But that'd require some rear geometry changes and likely different axles. I have all the parts x2 to make it a stock FL350R again. Just want something a little crazy.

That's why I got excited to see another project -- I have to live vicariously through other buggy projects until I'm out of Suzuki-quad-land. lol :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:58 pm 

Fatcat wrote:

i saw a pilot that sorta had the same idea done to it. i stumbled acress this the other day from a guys signature on minibuggy

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/fs.htm

DMoneyAllstar wrote:

don't get your hopes up for fast progress, this may be a year long build. just bought a project truck last night.. so that doesnt help LOL

the monte is my baby. bone stock except the radio. hold by an old man before i got it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:52 pm 

Cool link! That's a lot like what I had in mind.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:09 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
Fatcat wrote:

i saw a pilot that sorta had the same idea done to it. i stumbled acress this the other day from a guys signature on minibuggy

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/fs.htm" ."..

DMoneyAllstar wrote:

don't get your hopes up for fast progress, this may be a year long build. just bought a project truck last night.. so that doesnt help LOL

the monte is my baby. bone stock except the radio. hold by an old man before i got it.

I wonder what ever happen to that FrankenSkeeter project last I heard the whole machine turned out about like all other moskito projects nothing but failure after failure if I remember right he gave the whole machine to someone providing he never heard from or about it again in the future? I know the front suspension was a rube goldberg you can achieve the same or better performance for 1/3 the cost and 1/10 the time, made for good entertainment whilst it lasted :-) the important part is the final results :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:34 pm 

I wonder what ever happen to that FrankenSkeeter project last I heard the whole machine turned out about like all other moskito projects nothing but failure after failure if I remember right he gave the whole machine to someone providing he never heard from or about it again in the future? I know the front suspension was a rube goldberg you can achieve the same or better performance for 1/3 the cost and 1/10 the time, made for good entertainment whilst it lasted :-) the important part is the final results :shock:[/quote]

What do you think of the concept though? Very similar to the trx setups our guys are doing, just add a narrow section of frame out front and keep the a-arms as far inboard as possible. Would that idea work or is there something I'm missing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
I wonder what ever happen to that FrankenSkeeter project last I heard the whole machine turned out about like all other moskito projects nothing but failure after failure if I remember right he gave the whole machine to someone providing he never heard from or about it again in the future? I know the front suspension was a rube goldberg you can achieve the same or better performance for 1/3 the cost and 1/10 the time, made for good entertainment whilst it lasted :-) the important part is the final results :shock:

What do you think of the concept though? Very similar to the trx setups our guys are doing, just add a narrow section of frame out front and keep the a-arms as far inboard as possible. Would that idea work or is there something I'm missing?[/quote]

What you and many other missed on that project is you gotta hook steering to it then make it work not only make it turn you have to make it steer then make the shocks work with the terrain and traction.
IMO the FS project was just another 'hey look at me' project at least that is how it read, Redrider needed another front frame section mostkio was nice enough to chop his off and give it to Redrider so it could repair his frame, moskito seen the same type front suspension installed on his TAZ car thought he would try the same idea on a Pilot, I had high hopes for it but what was the end result?

Driver was driving through the woods like Tim was in his video then a micro second later bad day for many.

Anybody can make LT A-arms and put them on something call it suspension look at Liewires getup we all seen how that turned out. http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3267 and here http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9292

Lots of suspension experts to be found on the web everybody can do it better so whats with all the arguments?

Everybody loves a project including me! bring them on..

Profile E-mail