Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yoda Who?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:08 pm 

I am the lucky recipient of the Yoda front a arm kit Mud had for sale.....
It arrived tonight just as promised and I plan to rip her apart (I know the comments will come from this statement)
and post plenty of pics..
Anyone have information about getting her setup and steering during tighter woods riding?
This bug needs to be responsive! Not necessarily a tight turner, just a responder :-)
Thanks Mud! Just remember not to cash that check until the New Year cometh....

Post subject: Re: Yoda Who?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:02 pm 

I would set it up according to the YODA instructions then go from their what socks you planning on using ?

I run the FOX airs and have them setup soft and with the proper sag, I have the oil level setup so it has a fast rising compression ratio so the shocks wont bottom but compress easily at first allowing the weight to shift when you turn and put weight on the outside tire so it drives like on a rail.

If you setup the front where it sets higher than the rear going for that "look" most seem to lust after you might as well save your time and money sell the kit to someone else because the steering will suck and be worse than stock, looks cool but performance sucks :shock:

Once you get the basic setup done hook up with Afastcar he seems to have a good understanding on what adjustments has what affect on steering start tweaking it to dial in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:07 pm 

Well Im not sure what socks I will be wearing when I drive it :-) Black Blue navy Champion etc...
I have no intention of putting the front end down up or anywhere in between if it means that it will not perform the way it needs to...
When I was making the 580 swap there were plenty of people that said nope the Engine is way too high in the bug... well it sits in there "high" and suits me just fine... I love the input of others and always welcome the help... but what works for me might not work for others...
When I extended the front of my Pilot I had reservations myself.. but now with the added power it handles so well and does not push like the stock Pilot we have at the house...
So I hope that with my fat arse pushed up closer to the front of the bug almost on top of the wheel at this point she will still steer....
If I even remotely had the front set or pitched skyward it would be impossible to drive.. It would only wheelie and that is just silly... Don't get me wrong when the guys are over and you pull the front wheels off the groung for 40 feet because you meant to that is just fine... but if not intended it just gets annoying and slows you down....
I love the coil over type shocks but I am also very happy thus far with the Fox air rear setup I have with the DC long travel brackets.... it is so easy to air down add oil and air them up and go hit the trail again....
I have a set of Elka long travel tripple rate shocks at the house I would love to make fit but I have yet to test them.. They have comp rebound and preload settings and I can swap springs oh so easily
Regards....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:16 pm 

but what works for me might not work for others...

I must have you confused with another built and the guy who was complaining his Pilot wont steer sorry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 pm 

hoser wrote:
but what works for me might not work for others...

I must have you confused with another built and the guy who was complaining his Pilot wont steer sorry.

I am not sure if that is sarcasm or not H man? But...
if at one point I said that mine wont steer I forgot and at this point it steers just fine but after reading the Yoad comments.. well the stock front end is no Yoda!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:01 pm 

Typically you need 1/3 of your suspension travel to be sag to get the buggy to turn without plowing. Sometimes, that does not work in the rocks and you need every inch of ground clearance. A tap of the front brake to transfer the weight forward will help a lot with a stiffer front end. Mine will steer good at speed but the radius is not great when crawling. Forget trying to push it in the driveway and turn, it is like hitting the brakes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:43 pm 

Well
I have installed the plus two plus one a arms and I have ordered the shocks
I went with the Fox 5.5 travel 18.2 ext length shock...
The Blistein offers slightly more travel but the Fox air are just so easy to set and reset until they are perfect...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:00 pm 

some pictures... not the greatest quality but here they are

Attachments:
yoda.jpg
yoda.jpg [ 71.19 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]
yoda1.jpg
yoda1.jpg [ 67.3 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]
yoda2.jpg
yoda2.jpg [ 71.18 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]
yoda3.jpg
yoda3.jpg [ 54.97 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]